Is jinbe gonna witness greatness soon?

• Total voters
W

wordyworm

The Black Yoru might indeed be the strongest blade in the world
What does everyone here think of the black blades? Mihawk said any blade could become a black blade, but how? Does CoA haki just build up over time and permanently blacken the sword? Or is it a special connection between the sword and the user? Can anyone use a black sword if they train hard enough? Enma seems to be the most recent info we have to go on.

What does everyone here think of the black blades? Mihawk said any blade could become a black blade, but how? Does CoA haki just build up over time and permanently blacken the sword? Or is it a special connection between the sword and the user? Can anyone use a black sword if they train hard enough? Enma seems to be the most recent info we have to go on.
It would be easy to say it's a particularly hard CoA feat, we don't know, but it would be safe to assume it's not a skill feat, rather a CoA one.

Light D Lamperouge

𝖂𝖍𝖆𝖙 𝕮𝖔𝖚𝖑𝖉 𝕳𝖆𝖛𝖊 𝕭𝖊𝖊𝖓
Imo, you need great COA to achieve such a feat. Amazing COA in conjunction with a lot of battles results in a permanently black blade. Enma is a bit different, it draws COA and thus can make the process easier as it takes excessive amounts of COA. This just tells us that Mihawk's haki is much superior to Oden's.

I feel like Mihawk saying that was partly to motivate Zoro and partly a hint towards the gap between Mihawk and the other swordsmen in the series. It’s quite clearly not the case that any rusty katana from Marine base G69 can become a black blade, yet to Mihawk, it would be possible because he’s just that good. Kind of like a master athlete saying anyone can do what he does with enough training.

With regard to your question though a black blade does seem to require a well crafted blade (aka a good meitou) and a dedicated wielder.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
I feel like Mihawk saying that was partly to motivate Zoro and partly a hint towards the gap between Mihawk and the other swordsmen in the series. It’s quite clearly not the case that any rusty katana from Marine base G69 can become a black blade, yet to Mihawk, it would be possible because he’s just that good. Kind of like a master athlete saying anyone can do what he does with enough training.

With regard to your question though a black blade does seem to require a well crafted blade (aka a good meitou) and a dedicated wielder.
Lol when theres only 2 in history out of the billions of swords the pool is far too small.

W

wordyworm

Very true about Mihawk remarking on his own ability to Zoro! "Psh... フン .... Roronoa you disappoint me."

The black swords we've seen have been ōwazamono or above, but not every high grade sword is a black blade. And we saw with Enma that some swords are too strong for their users (not bashing Zoro, I'm sure he got the hang of it pretty quickly). So it must be true as you said that a black blade requires both a talented maker and a talented wielder.

I wonder if it has to do with battles/violence/blood spilled on the sword as well. Maybe once a well-crafted blade has been used by a talented swordfighter in enough battles, it becomes permanently black. Zoro's Shusui might have been blackened by its previous owner Ryuma, and the same could be true of Yoru since we don't know its history. It would explain why other swordmasters like Koshiro don't have black blades.

Very true about Mihawk remarking on his own ability to Zoro! "Psh... フン .... Roronoa you disappoint me."

The black swords we've seen have been ōwazamono or above, but not every high grade sword is a black blade. And we saw with Enma that some swords are too strong for their users (not bashing Zoro, I'm sure he got the hang of it pretty quickly). So it must be true as you said that a black blade requires both a talented maker and a talented wielder.

I wonder if it has to do with battles/violence/blood spilled on the sword as well. Maybe once a well-crafted blade has been used by a talented swordfighter in enough battles, it becomes permanently black. Zoro's Shusui might have been blackened by its previous owner Ryuma, and the same could be true of Yoru since we don't know its history. It would explain why other swordmasters like Koshiro don't have black blades.
All is possible. I guess we tend to assume CoA is a major factor to turn a blade black in that black symbolises CoA for excellence

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭

I disagree — I think Mihawk could pick up any rusty katana from Marine base G69 and eventually make it a black blade — yes the quality of the swords matter for swordsmanshi (e.g several of Zoro's swords breaking under his strength, Shusui being able to produce stronger air slashes (and swallowing up the slashes of the weaker swords)), I'm just inclined to take Mihawk more literally. Mihawk said that with haki any sword can become a black blade, and I'm inclined to believe that; I don't think you need meitou to forge black blades.

Lol when theres only 2 in history out of the billions of swords the pool is far too small.
Only two we know of. Black swords were famous enough that even preskip Zoro and Tashigi knew of them. Shusui had been with Moriah (and before that hidden away in Wano), and given the hype around black swords, I'd be surprised if Yoru was the only reference point the had.

I disagree — I think Mihawk could pick up any rusty katana from Marine base G69 and eventually make it a black blade — yes the quality of the swords matter for swordsmanshi (e.g several of Zoro's swords breaking under his strength, Shusui being able to produce stronger air slashes (and swallowing up the slashes of the weaker swords)), I'm just inclined to take Mihawk more literally. Mihawk said that with haki any sword can become a black blade, and I'm inclined to believe that; I don't think you need meitou to forge black blades.

Only two we know of. Black swords were famous enough that even preskip Zoro and Tashigi knew of them. Shusui had been with Moriah (and before that hidden away in Wano), and given the hype around black swords, I'd be surprised if Yoru was the only reference point the had.
Tashigi is a nerd, a sword geek, so it's bound to happen that she has a vast knowledge about sword. As for Zoro, I think that he knows about black blade due to his experience against one.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
Tashigi is a nerd, a sword geek, so it's bound to happen that she has a vast knowledge about sword. As for Zoro, I think that he knows about black blade due to his experience against one.
That is fair, but I am extremely sceptical that there are literally only two black blades in existence. They have been portrayed as something rare, but not that rare.

MIhawk never commented on Yoru being a black blade when he fought Zoro IIRC.

W

wordyworm

That is fair, but I am extremely sceptical that there are literally only two black blades in existence. They have been portrayed as something rare, but not that rare.

MIhawk never commented on Yoru being a black blade when he fought Zoro IIRC.
Duder, Ch 51 v. Zoro
そして剣士たる礼儀をもって​
Then for the swordsfighters code/etiquette​
世界最強のこの黒刀で沈めてやる​
With this black sword, the world's strongest, I will sink/defeat/submerge​

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
All good! I'd love to hear your Mihawk theories!
I don't really speculate/make theories anymore. I guess I underwent personality changes that made engaging in activity where I would most likely be wrong unappealing (like making theories). But I also stopped caring that much about OP a year or so ago. I only really follow along (and occasionally at that), so that I wouldn't be left behind in discussions. Most people are on WG because they follow OP, I follow OP because I'm on WG.

I mean I have fanfiction (in my head), but nothing more.

My headcanon is that the Chad Warlord trio (aka Doffy/Mihawk/Croc) were constantly engaged in power struggles during the few warlord meetings they attended. Oda seems to enjoy grouping them together in SBS which only fuels my headcanon lol. When the series ends I’m hoping someone will create a spin off featuring the original 7 warlords. God only knows they provide enough fanservice for the male and female audience. :milaugh:

Of course, the bickering would mostly be between Doffy and Croc, with both dudes knowing their place in the hierarchy below Mihawk. When Mihawk wants his favourite corner chair, they move.