Controversial The defenitive thread about swordsmanship skills and titles.

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
Even though he doesn't seem to have an official title like Mihawk, I think that much is implied but regardless it doesn't really change the crux of that argument. Both Beckmann and Yasopp are gun users but Yasopp is more skilled than Beckman with a gun, even though beckman is the stronger of the two.
Here's the catch, if Yasopp fights Beckman, a fellow sniper, and loses in the fight, he still gets to keep his world's best sniper. But if Mihawk fights Zoro, a fellow swordsman, and loses, then he loses his title too.

Even though he doesn't seem to have an official title like Mihawk, I think that much is implied but regardless it doesn't really change the crux of that argument. Both Beckmann and Yasopp are gun users but Yasopp is more skilled than Beckman with a gun, even though beckman is the stronger of the two.
Bro you going to have to show us where this world strongest sniper is stated

Leave the title aside which is a total game changer here, we know that Ben is not only depending in his rifle shooting skills but he pummeled the bandits with raw power while Shanks on the other hand in every instance we have seen him fight he literally usess only his sword, even in the non canon material Film Red that many people bringing up as a fact that he is more than a swordsman.

Not really interested in this debate tbh but my personal take on it is exactly what is stated lol "Mihawk's sword skill exceeds that of Shanks".

Mihawk is referred to as the World's Strongest Swordsman thus he's top 1 in swordsmanship in the verse atm. The aforementioned statement only re-affirms what we already know. However, I don't think it necessarily translates to Mihawk > Shanks. Fights in OP are not that simple & Oda is a complicated mofo and logic doesn't always fly with him.

Roger seems to be a swordsman and I've seen folks bring up that Usopp Gallery panel to justify that which is fair but it is also however important to note that Kaido specifically says Roger's "Haki" was what made him top 1 in the verse with no reference to his swordsmanship. Contrast that to someone like Ryuma who is referred to as a "Sword God" with emphasis being put on his "Swordsmanship". It is also important to note that even though Roger is supposedly a swordsman and the strongest of his generation he doesn't have a black blade which is possessed by those that have reached the pinnacle of swordsmanship in the series. So why didn't Roger have a black blade even though he had such overwhelming Haki? Plus I don't think there's anyone that seriously thinks Mihawk's Haki is greater or comparable to Roger's, so even with Roger's overwhelming Haki why wasn't he able to acquire a black blade? If his Haki wasn't the problem then could it be that lacked the pre-requisite "sword skill" to be able to do so?

Also I saw someone bring up Yasopp v Beckman, which is a ironically pretty similar to this debate. Yasopp is top 1 marksman/gunner in the verse & Beckman is also a marksman/gunner but we know Beckman is stronger than Yasopp even though the later possesses greater marksmanship. Why is that? Obvious answer is that Beckman possesses extra skills in addition to his marksmanship that puts him beyond Yasopp. Strength disticnction isn't as clear with Shanks and Mihawk but this example proves that it is possible to possess greater skills than someone in a primary fighting style but still be weaker overall. So Mihawk having greater sword skills doesn't at all prove beyond a shadow of doubt that he is stronger than Shanks.

Anyways that's my two cents on this. Isn't really a translation ting. Translation says what it says.
Agree. What Roger and Shanks are emphasized for Is their Haki, they are good swordsmen ok but this Is not their forte, not the particular thing they're known for, when you think about Roger/Shanks the first thing that comes in your mind Is their insane HAKI, this Is the same for characters, Jozu, Greenbull all shocked and all hyped Red Hair's haki, never his swordsmanship.
Post automatically merged:

Congrats OP, you changed many people's opinion. Impressive I must say

32 pages in few hours is no joke. You did it
Thanks man. :cheers:

Agree. What Roger and Shanks are emphasized for Is their Haki, they are good swordsmen ok but this Is not their forte, not the particular thing they're known for, when you think about Roger/Shanks the first thing that comes in your mind Is their insane HAKI, this Is the same for characters, Jozu, Greenbull all shocked and all hyped Red Hair's haki, never his swordsmanship.
When you think like swordmen like Zoro, Mihawk, etc...what comes to mind specialy when it comes to cut stuff like metal and what not?

Focken haki, is the asnwer.

Accept mate, Mihawk is one of the strongest in the verse if not the strongest until BB does some bs.
:myman:

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
Imagine the shame that comes with being praised as haki gods while at the same time not skilled enough to beat Mihawk. :saden:

When you think like swordmen like Zoro, Mihawk, etc...what comes to mind specialy when it comes to cut stuff like metal and what not?

Focken haki, is the asnwer.

Accept mate, Mihawk is one of the strongest in the verse if not the strongest until BB does some bs.
:myman:
When I think about Mihawk tho CoC, which Is the strongest haki, doesn't come in my mind, actually the fact that he could be Yonko but doesn't have the ambition and wants to leave peacefully...
Mmm.

An old Rayleigh...
So Mihawk Is like an old man Who stopped fighting and doing the pirate?
Mihawk reached the peak, there was no other swordman to fight anymore after Shanks went and lost his arm.

And yeah, Mihawk stoped going after big prey as there was no bigger fish than him left to hunt anymore, soo he just wants to live in peace while waiting for another worthy swordman to appear and challenge him, wich is Zoro.

And whats this, you gonna try to downplay Roger's 2nd in command now? Dont you tire of eating L's?
:king:

Agree. What Roger and Shanks are emphasized for Is their Haki, they are good swordsmen ok but this Is not their forte, not the particular thing they're known for, when you think about Roger/Shanks the first thing that comes in your mind Is their insane HAKI
Indeed Shanks has super haki, but how does this downplay Mihawk in any way when it was never stated that Shanks haki is superior to Mihawk's.

On the other side following your logic about "insane HAKI" Mihawk has managed to make a black blade so if Shanks haki was so superior to Mihawk's as you insist it would be a piece of cake to turn his Griffon into black blade too.

well You rank Mihawk Above WB too? Since him has Sword(12 Strongest) and fighted Oden and Roger with it, yet is considered Strongest man in the world, you guys considers Mihawk above him?
He has a blade not a sword.

But Mihawk is better somehow since he managed to made his blade Black while WB didn't. Not stronger but depending what makes a black blade Mihawk was better than WB in that area.

Indeed Shanks has super haki, but how does this downplay Mihawk in any way when it was never stated that Shanks haki is superior to Mihawk's.

On the other side following your logic about "insane HAKI" Mihawk has managed to make a black blade so if Shanks haki was so superior to Mihawk's as you insist it would be a piece of cake to turn his Griffon into black blade too.
Where It was ever stated or show Mihawk has CoC?
And CoC Is the strongest haki.

Mihawk reached the peak, there was no other swordman to fight anymore after Shanks went and lost his arm.

And yeah, Mihawk stoped going after big prey as there was no bigger fish than him left to hunt anymore, soo he just wants to live in peace while waiting for another worthy swordman to appear and challenge him, wich is Zoro.

And whats this, you gonna try to downplay Roger's 2nd in command now? Dont you tire of eating L's?
:king:
Rayleigh Is overstimated too, Oden, Mihawk and Every yonko > him.

Where It was ever stated or show Mihawk has CoC?
And CoC Is the strongest haki.

Rayleigh Is overstimated too, Oden > him.
Where is it stated that he hasnt?

All we know is that he is stronger than Shanks or at least was equal to him when he had 2 arms, and that Shanks has CoC, wich either means either two things:
-He is soo strong that he can beat a yonko that has CoC withoud even needing it.
or
-He also has CoC.

Where is it stated that he hasnt?

All we knoe is that he is stronger than Shanks, and that Shanks has CoC, wich either means either two things:
-He is soo strong that he can beat a yonko that has CoC withoud even needing it.
or
-He also has CoC.
That he Is stronger overall than Shanks Is your assumption, we know he has greater skills.