Votes: 7 24.1%
  • Around the 300m range

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • 500m+ (Specify)

Votes: 8 27.6%

• Total voters

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Coincidentally, Zoro meets Tashigi who looks like his supposedly dead friend. Marimo's whole quest began with his rivalry and promise with Kuina. Themes such as destiny, dreams, parallels, inherited will, and fate are deliberately at the core of this arc. I don't think its a coincidence that in one the sketches Zoro is surrounded by Mihawk and Tashigi.
Loguetown is very important in kicking off the story. Everything prior was more of a prologue, introducing the characters and what they're all about. All before they begin their major journey, one that will affect them all on a grand level. This is the same arc which introduces Smoker and Tashigi, for they will grow just like the Straw Hats on this quest. Luffy's smiling during his execution, Dragon showing up, Tashigi and Zoro's encounter, these will all come full circle by the end.

Just picture, the end of the story, when it will be time for Tashigi and Zoro to pass on their will.

Loguetown is very important in setting the story up. Everything prior was more of a prologue, introducing the characters and what they're all about. All before they begin their major journey, one that will affect them all on a grand level. This is the same arc which introduces Smoker and Tashigi, for they will grow just like the Straw Hats on this quest.

Just picture, the end of the story, when it will be time for Tashigi and Zoro to pass on their will.
Oda doesn't do random. There is always an explanation on why an Island is formed that way or why a character is dressed in some way. For instance, Little Garden has the skeletons of two Sea Kings which were connected to Droggy and Broggy's rivalry. Laboon scars were created because of his grief of not seeing Brook and the Rumbar pirates ever again. There is no doubt Tashigi's resemblance to Kuina is no coincidence either.

Smoker knew from the moment Luffy smiled near death on the execution platform that he had what it takes to be like Roger to the point he had shivers.

Last edited:

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
There is no doubt Tashigi's resemblance to Kuina is no coincidence either.
There's no doubt their resemblance will have/has some significance. The question has always been to what nature? Are they related? Just a visual choice to connect her to Zoro and therefore Kuina so she could inherit her will? She's actually Kuina but brainwashed (Please no)?

Smoker knew from the moment Luffy smiled near death on the execution platform that he had what it takes to be like Roger to the point he had shivers.
That's also when Smoker began to take Luffy as a Pirate seriously. Even if he held some respect for Roger as a kid, he had spent years training and indoctrinated to see someone like Roger as nothing but a danger. It wasn't until events during the Grandline he began to question his beliefs.

There's no doubt their resemblance will have/has some significance. The question has always been to what nature? Are they related? Just a visual choice to connect her to Zoro and therefore Kuina so she could inherit her will? She's actually Kuina but brainwashed (Please no)?
As a matter of facts, Oda did create a universe where a scientist can wipe your memories. Pudding has the powers to edit or erase your memories. Its possible to clone individual with the lineage factor. What I am saying is that Oda has created a world where its technically coherent for Kuina to be Tashigi. Coincidentally, she is gonna meet Vegapunk of all people so we have to pay extra attention when they meet the genius.

That's also when Smoker began to take Luffy as a Pirate seriously. Even if he held some respect for Roger as a kid, he had spent years training and indoctrinated to see someone like Roger as nothing but a danger. It wasn't until events during the Grandline he began to question his beliefs.
I do think Smoker parallels Garp in a lot of ways too. I predicted that he would be Vice Admiral much like Luffy's grandfather when Roger started his last journey in the NW. Smoker even has a scar that looks a lot like the one Garp has.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
As a matter of facts, Oda did create a universe where a scientist can wipe your memories. Pudding has the powers to edit or erase your memories. Its possible to clone individual with the lineage factor. What I am saying is that Oda has created a world where its technically coherent for Kuina to be Tashigi. Coincidentally, she is gonna meet Vegapunk of all people so we have to pay extra attention when they meet the genius.
I'm not arguing its plausibility, I'm against it by principle. I still want to know more about her, what motivated her specifically to become a Marine and swordswoman. All of that is lost if she's just a a memory wiped Kuina.

I do think Smoker parallels Garp in a lot of ways too. I predicted that he would be Vice Admiral much like Luffy's grandfather when Roger started his last journey in the NW. Smoker even has a scar that looks a lot like the one Garp has.
Both of them are also Marines who play by their rules for the most part, Garp refusing to become an Admiral so the Celestial Dragon's can't control him, Smoker telling off his superiors following Alabasta, and even letting Luffy go in order to repay his debt.

I'm not arguing its plausibility, I'm against it by principle. I still want to know more about her, what motivated her specifically to become a Marine and swordswoman. All of that is lost if she's just a a memory wiped Kuina.
The issue is that Oda did use the amnesia subplot with Sabo who is literally an old friend believed to be dead who had memory issues. If our mangaka did it once he can do it again. I think it would be an interesting connection with Kuinaespecially if she is connected to Dragon and the Revolutionaries as well.

Honestly, Childhood lovers reunited by destiny like CLOY is a trope I can't get enough of. Its cheesy and corny but I love it. I think Oda can explore Tashigi/Kuina motivation to become a Marine and Swordswoman if its told well. Oda has deliberately not not shown her backstory for years. I am really looking forward to Zoro's flashback.

Both of them are also Marines who play by their rules for the most part, Garp refusing to become an Admiral so the Celestial Dragon's can't control him, Smoker telling off his superiors following Alabasta, and even letting Luffy go in order to repay his debt.
Garp was not happy when the WG solely gave him the credit of defeating the Rocks pirates much like Smoker being pissed that the higher ups credited him for the Crocodile incident. He insulted them and still got a promotion lol. The pirates they captured in the NW described Smoker and G-5 as an insane group of marines who don't listen to orders and go wherever they want. They are basically pirates lol and I love the fact that Smoker is very protective of his men much like Luffy. Their dynamic is similar to Zoro and Tashigi in the sense that they are complete opposites but have similar core values.

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
The issue is that Oda did use the amnesia subplot with Sabo who is literally an old friend believed to be dead who had memory issues. If our mangaka did it once he can do it again. I think it would be an interesting connection with Kuinaespecially if she is connected to Dragon and the Revolutionaries as well.
That's not really my problem with it, though. Oda could very well pull something like that. But what I'm against is reducing Tashigi to a fabricated persona because there's so much potential for her backstory, and she's a well rounded character in her own right.
I am all for lost lovers reuniting after fate tried to separate them, but it's on a case by case basis, for me. I just find the idea of the two being kindred spirits brought together as some twist of fate more compelling in this case.

I've always preferred highlighting the differences between Tashigi and Kuina (I really dislike when she's reduced to a Kuina knock off), that making Tashigi Kuina in the end just renders the point moot. Doubly so if Tashigi was just an implanted identity.

Garp was not happy when the WG solely gave him the credit of defeating the Rocks pirates much like Smoker being pissed that the higher ups credited him for the Crocodile incident. He insulted them and still got a promotion lol. The pirates they captured in the NW described Smoker and G-5 as an insane group of marines who don't listen to orders and go wherever they want. They are basically pirates lol and I love the fact that Smoker is very protective of his men much like Luffy. Their dynamic is similar to Zoro and Tashigi in the sense that they are complete opposites but have similar core values.
G-5 have the most compelling relationship with the Straw Hats. The lines between Pirates and Marines blur the more they're together. Yes, Luffy and Smoker may have different personalities, but their loose cannon, free spirited nature couldn't be more alike. And since Luffy's a good judge of character, he knew instantly that Smoker wasn't like those other Marines. There's a real sense of endearment whenever the two have their cops n robbers chases. It makes me wonder if Oda was a fan of Lupin.

So if Tashigi is not a Shimotsuki, what do you want her family line to be like?
Such as a noble one or a poor one?
If she's not a Shimotsuki, I'd like her to be from some kind of prestigious clan. Maybe not one of the 5 ruling families of Wano, but more like a clan that's composed of many Onna-Musha(female warriors). Which would explain her strong desire to prove herself, since she's living up to the standards of her family.

Actually, do you all remember those theories that Tashigi was actually Hiyori? Never thought much of them, but they're funny in hindsight.

That's not really my problem with it, though. Oda could very well pull something like that. But what I'm against is reducing Tashigi to a fabricated persona because there's so much potential for her backstory, and she's a well rounded character in her own right.
I am all for lost lovers reuniting after fate tried to separate them, but it's on a case by case basis, for me. I just find the idea of the two being kindred spirits brought together as some twist of fate more compelling in this case.

I've always preferred highlighting the differences between Tashigi and Kuina (I really dislike when she's reduced to a Kuina knock off), that making Tashigi Kuina in the end just renders the point moot. Doubly so if Tashigi was just an implanted identity.
I think I understand where you are coming from because there was something extremely similar in the iconic Batman animated series of the 90's regarding the identity of Bruce Wayne's successor. On paper I thought it was stupid and absurd but it was so brilliantly told, heartwarming, and tied everything properly that I could not help but love it. There were so many hints that I should have noticed but I was young, and dumb.

I think its the same for Tashigi and Kuina if Oda manages to connect their shared identity organically without diminishing either personas and connecting them to the heart of the series.

G-5 have the most compelling relationship with the Straw Hats. The lines between Pirates and Marines blur the more they're together. Yes, Luffy and Smoker may have different personalities, but their loose cannon, free spirited nature couldn't be more alike. And since Luffy's a good judge of character, he knew instantly that Smoker wasn't like those other Marines. There's a real sense of endearment whenever the two have their cops n robbers chases. It makes me wonder if Oda was a fan of Lupin.
If you enjoy Cat and Mouse cop love stories you will LOVE Cat's Eye by Tsukasa Hojo. Its the Japanese version of Charlie's Angels mixed with Lupin with a 80's vibe. Its sexy, funny romantic, corny in a good way, suspenseful, and heartwarming. I absolutely recommend it manga or anime !

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Tashigi vs a Winged Snow Woman

Zoro vs a Winged Flame Man

I think I understand where you are coming from because there was something extremely similar in the iconic Batman animated series of the 90's regarding the identity of Bruce Wayne's successor. On paper I thought it was stupid and absurd but it was so brilliantly told, heartwarming, and tied everything properly that I could not help but love it. There were so many hints that I should have noticed but I was young, and dumb.

I think its the same for Tashigi and Kuina if Oda manages to connect their shared identity organically without diminishing either personas and connecting them to the heart of the series.

If you enjoy Cat and Mouse cop love stories you will LOVE Cat's Eye by Tsukasa Hojo. Its the Japanese version of Charlie's Angels mixed with Lupin with a 80's vibe. Its sexy, funny romantic, corny in a good way, suspenseful, and heartwarming. I absolutely recommend it manga or anime !

I think I remember watching this years ago when I was in France. Good times.

But I digress, I believe both types are valid and have a place, it's just in this particular instance with Tashigi and Zoro, a clear cut enemies-to-lovers story is more compelling, imo, since it speaks strongly to the larger storyline which surrounds the Marines vs Pirates. But above all that, the fact it's their own little dynamic, cut off from everything else, just makes it that much more special, to me.

Tashigi vs a Winged Snow Woman

Zoro vs a Winged Flame Man

I don't know how to feel about Enma potentially turning black just because Hiyori is playing the Shamisen. I have always assumed that it carried much more such as fulfilling Oden's dreams to liberate, and open Wano. I am not really impressed by Zoro vs King so far because the art and choreography feel lackluster. The best part was the reveal of his lineage.

Hiyori (Toki?) was obviously the person who healed the Scabbards in chapter 1004. It doesn't make sense for Oda to have teased us for so long about an already introduced character unless there is much more to her. I do find it odd that she chose to nurse Kinemon first (barely knew him) and not Kawamatsu who took care of her as a child. Another thing that's odd is that she had a unusually strong reaction to Yasuie's death as if she knew really him well. Considering how loyal and protective he was to the Kozuki it makes perfect sense why Toki would be so touched by his demise. I find it interesting that she took care of his daughter O-Toko .

If Hiyori is Toki it explains why Oda did not draw her character in any of the sketches of the Zoro colorspread. In contrast, Tashigi was clearly intended to be in at least 4 of them.

I do like how that chapter is starting a conflict between SWORD and CP0.

Last edited:

SmokedOut

Life Is Good ✌️
That's better than what I hypothesized that the Marines are searching him because of what he knows of Wano. Kozaburo looks like the delinquent type.
It makes perfect sense that Kozaburo could have been friends with Dragon if he was the rebellious type too. If Tashigi is connected by blood to the Shimotsuki clan there is an irony that she is possibly the granddaughter of a pirate.

Its interesting that Kuina and Kozaburo were very close.