General & Others The Ruination of a character #2 - Zoro: the Edgelord, the One Trick Pony and the Soulless one

Was Zoro more enjoyable character Pre or Post Time Skip?

• Pre Time Skip

Votes: 45 44.6%
  • Post Time Skip

Votes: 7 6.9%
  • Same to me

Votes: 43 42.6%
  • Hurry up with Luffy thread

Votes: 18 17.8%

• Total voters

KiriNigiri

The Road To Harmony
Zoro appears proportionally less post-timeskip. That's due to the story shifting from the character focused adventure of the Strawhats, to a grander narrative where the overarching plot takes center stage.

Zoro is the furthest thing from Emo. To be Emo is to be excessively emotional and self destructive. Zoro's a man of discipline and dedication. An Emo would whine about how his life is ruined for having stubbed his toes. Zoro would power through that.

So Zoro cuts things. Yeah, that's what he is. A swordsman. I don't exactly see what more you want from him. Oda still finds some ways to make his fights interesting, or receiving a new blade feel fresh, like one that cuts uncontrollably, or another which drains him more. Zoro's most inventive battle wasn't any of his fights pre-timeskip, it was a post-timeskip fight against Pica, which he couldn't beat by simply cutting down. It highlighted his combat intelligence and leadership skills.

You are projecting the fandom way too much onto Zoro. This bit in particular -

the difference is that Pre Time Skip Zoro had other stuff going for him besides that. Pre Time Skip whenever the crew visited a new island the main question would be - I wonder what every person in the crew will do? Post TS the only question being asked about Zoro is - Who will Zoro fight? If you think I am wrong, just check all Zoro threads here. Now, I understand his ambition is to be WSS but does he really have nothing else going on in his life besides that? If that is enough for you to like Zoro i seriously wish you all the best and enjoy him to the fullest. To me that isn't enough. I preferred Zoro when he had a soul to him, when he wasn't this Edgelord that only wants to fight people.
Zoro's fans only wanting fights from him doesn't translate to Zoro just wanting fights. Zoro expects to fight because he's, what a shock, a fighter. Nothing about this has changed. Zoro gets fights in major arcs. Always has, always will. But it's true that isn't the only expectation, and it's still the case post-timeskip. In Wano alone, he's met several people who've endeared themselves to him. In Punk Hazard he grew closer to Tashigi, no longer viewing her as a Kuina clone, and helping to bridge the gap between Pirates and Marines. He's fought alongside and befriended various members of the Strawhat Grand Fleet during his battle with Pica on Dressrosa. His desire to fight Kaido is a direct result of his character arc throughout Wano, where he takes a proactive role of freeing it because he knows he has the strength to do it, being entrusted with the blade that serves as a distilled reminder of the late Oden's unfinished will. Oda uses Zoro's role as fighter as a medium to tell a story through.

You don't seem to understand that Zoro is a stoic character. Even pre-timeskip, he was the calm and focused one. That's the beauty of the Strawhats. They are a melting pot of various personalities. Zoro just happens to be the serious one. He's the member who provides strength and security. Everyone on the crew respects and relies on him to power through everything and protect them. Zoro, knowing that, takes his training and practician seriously, so as to not let them down. That's the entire basis of the "never lose again" speech.

Concluding, if Zoro is the edgiest character you've ever seen, then you need to broaden your horizon to avoid making such ludicrous claims.

Last edited:
I agree, he has kinda became an edglord hollowed out version of him, but to be honest all the straw hats have sort of become hollowed archteypes of themselves. Before they played these typical shonen genre lead roles with more nuance and uniqueness.

Zoro's version of that is just badass swordsman when its stripped of the character complexities pre time skip.

@Rukusho @Chrono @Sword God Ryuma

so these are the ones i found that i think are passable, and i would count the one on zou as only 1 (same conversation) and then we are only up to 9 :choppawhat:

maybe rukusho found the last one that gets us up to 10 (to be fair though, chopper and zoro have been separated for most of punk hazard, basically the entirety of dressrosa, and obviously the entirety of WCI).

found lots of interactions with strawhat members other than sanji and luffy though, so the initial statement:
Zoro doesnt interact with anyone in the crew other than Luffy and Sanji. He's in his own other world.
is still very wrong. . .

Last edited:

@Rukusho @Chrono @Sword God Ryuma

so these are the ones i found that i think are passbale, and i would count the one on zou as only 1 (same conversation) and then we are only up to 9 :choppawhat:

maybe rukusho found the last one that gets us up to 10 (to be fair though, chopper and zoro have been separated for most of punk hazard, basically the entirety of dressrosa, and obviously the entirety of WCI).

found lots of interactions with strawhat members other than sanji and luffy though, so the initial statement:

is still very wrong. . .
I should've made panels from the same scene cheating.

I should've made panels from the same scene cheating.
i only counted the two panels from the same scene as one though? i kinda mentioned that in my post? :choppawhat:

edit:
@Chrono : or do you mean the the ice oni/antidote shit? because there is at least one and a half page in between those, but alright, then we'd be down to 8

edit:

back to 9. . .

edit:
and if chopper interacting with zoro counts, this would be #10

Last edited:
Even though most of the things you said made no sense (Zoro doesnt smile, Zoro only fights blah blah), you raised one valid point. Nobody thinks post-timeskip Zoro is better. The thing is pre-timeskip Zoro's character reached the pinnacle of awesomeness to the point some (including me) considers him the GOAT manga character. How could Oda top that? Its not possible to produce moments like "nothing happened" everyday.

The story is nearing the end. We dont want any fucking character progression or forced writing that Sanji got in WCI. Zoro is already a great and iconic character of one piece. Zoro and the gang struggled during pre-timeskip, they decided to get stronger and now its time to execute. I hope Oda keeps it simple and focus more on what Zoro could do as a fighter.

Last edited:

Shisui

Never Feed The Badders Pasta
I dno about all that. Post TS Zoro >> Pre TS Zoro imo.
His whole personality just fits in with the whole New World. I would definitely love to see him interact more with the other SHs. His character to me is just fine.
I honestly can't wait for your piece on Luffy. :milaugh::milaugh:
Post automatically merged:

I don’t see how being stoic = not having a personality. Zoro is, by the author’s own admission, a Japanese character written by and for a Japanese audience. Have you interacted with Japanese people before? Their culture is naturally far less expressive than Westerners, and imposing your own expectations of how much outward emotion one should express is extremely tone-deaf.

Post timeskip Zoro is more like Mihawk. Mihawk doesn’t smile or laugh often, but when he does, it means something. The likes of Luffy, Usopp, Nami and Chopper emote more than enough for the rest of the crew. Why does everyone need to be the same? There are introverts and extroverts in real life. There are people with multiple hobbies and elite athletes who spend the majority of their time training. Zoro is fine as he is, just give him more interactions with Luffy and Chopper and you’ll see his personality shine through.
This is it really. I couldn't have said it any better.

Last edited:
i only counted the two panels from the same scene as one though? i kinda mentioned that in my post? :choppawhat:

edit:
@Chrono : or do you mean the the ice oni/antidote shit? because there is at least one and a half page of other shit in between those, but alright, then we'd be down to 8

edit:

back to 9. . .

edit:
and if chopper interacting with zoro counts, this would be #10
@Cinera catching a body

I am ready to be brigaded

The Edgelord

If you would remember Zoro Pre Time Skip he was still a hard ass like he is today but he had a distinctive side to him. From jumping of a rope like Tarzan in Skypeia, mistaking Kaku for Usopp, scolding Nami for being late only to thank her for bringing booze, teasing Sanji and being teased back without wanting to murder him for it... and many more cases. Now let's compare him to Zoro post TS. Post TS Zoro is one of the edgiest characters I have ever seen. This dude barely fucking smiles and when he does it is either A) He gets to cut something and B) He got a new sword. You will very rarely find scenes of Zoro just having a proper laugh. From the top of my head those would be in Dressrosa with Pica or drinking with Law, and I think he laughed in Zou a bit. I am sure someone will find 1 or 2 instances more but compared to all scenes pre TS of him laughing it is very low amount. Everything you can count on fingers of 1 or 2 hands is small amount. Zoro now only laughs when gets the chance to fight someone or cut them. That is some next level borderline Emo stuff. Why did Zoro need to be made into such an Edgelord? Why make him this rabid dog that only laughs when he has something to cut? Why cant he take a joke without wanting to kill the person saying it? Zoro needs to chill out a bit and stop being this guy that craves cutting shit. Let him have a laugh here and there. Zoro lost his flavor, he lost emotions he had. He rarely cries, rarely smiles, rarely feels sad and so on. And once again I am sure some of you will come in here showing me panel or two of this not being the case. But like I said earlier, it is such a low amount compared to pre TS. I believe Oda made Zoro so edgy to attract edgy teen kids that like characters like that. Just a 1 emotion man wanting to cut shit. This brings us to the next point.

The One Trick Pony

Quickly - Besides Zoro cutting stuff what else does he do in the crew?

The answer is nothing; I suppose he has a role Vice Captain but Zoro only acted few times as such. In Punk Hazard he told Luffy to get serious considering the stakes and Luffy through New World has been nothing but selfish and reckless. Zoro as Vice Captain should reel Luffy in and keep him at check and not make him to dumb stuff that put the crew in jeopardy. Zoro does bare minimum to keep Luffy in check. Hell even few chapters ago he warned Luffy to get serious after Luffy got a fireball in his face and what does Luffy do? Goes G4 super early and wastes his Haki and now Zoro has to baby sit him. In Dressrosa he did lead people to try and stall the birdcage and to that I give him props. In Zou he did voice his opinion how Sanji should be left which to me was the most ridiculous thing he did post TS. Sanji's situation was nothing more than Robin 2.0 and Zoro had no objections going to E. Lobby to save her. Meanwhile he suddenly has problems saving Sanji under the premise that Luffy will pick a fight with Big Mom - But Luffy already picked a fight with Big Mom and Zoro was there when Luffy declared war to her. Zoro was in no position to be against getting back Sanji considering he stuck his head for any crew member. and Zoro knows Luffy well enough to know Luffy won't stay calm until Sanji is with them. To me that whole scene was just yikes. So with Zoro's Vice Captain position being pretty much empty shell considering he does bare minimum about it we are left with an question what does Zoro do in the crew? Sanji cooks, Nami navigates, Robin studies, Choper cures and so on. What does Zoro do? He fights people, that is legit 99% of things Zoro does post TS. He was degraded to Luffy's dog on a leash and when its needed Luffy just goes - GO SICK EM BOY, GO GO. Now I already know what you guys will say - But Beky Zoro did that before Time Skip too. And yes, you would be right - the difference is that Pre Time Skip Zoro had other stuff going for him besides that. Pre Time Skip whenever the crew visited a new island the main question would be - I wonder what every person in the crew will do? Post TS the only question being asked about Zoro is - Who will Zoro fight? If you think I am wrong, just check all Zoro threads here. Now, I understand his ambition is to be WSS but does he really have nothing else going on in his life besides that? If that is enough for you to like Zoro i seriously wish you all the best and enjoy him to the fullest. To me that isn't enough. I preferred Zoro when he had a soul to him, when he wasn't this Edgelord that only wants to fight people. Yea he is cool sometimes but its shell of what he used to be. A much more alive character with less edgy persona.

The Soulless character

With last 2 points in mind I'll just say it - Zoro lost his soul as a character. If Sanji lost his morality and sanity, Zoro lost his soul. He was stripped of his personality, of his Vice Captain role and adventures and was transformed into 1 dimensional character whose whole purpose in arcs now is to fight and fight and fight and to be a servant to Luffy and be ready to denounce his dream for him. That is Zoro, the Soulless. And if personally believe Zoro is the reflection of a certain part of his fandom. Quick to lash out, always ready for a conflict and angry af. If you are a chill Zoro fan that enjoys Zoro for who he is you will know about whom I exactly talk about and you will agree with me that is the case. If you are the person that sees yourself in what I said about then this thread will most likely go ape shit crazy. I am not satisfied how Oda took Zoro and stripped him of his personality and made fighting his only personality trait. Zoro was a way better character pre TS and even tho he was a hard ass then too at least he wasn't an Edgelord that only serves to fight people.

Conclusion.

Just like Sanji, Zoro was degraded to a personality wise inferior version of himself. A fight crazy swordsman that is obsessed with cutting people and does nothing else than to fight and occasionally voice his opinion as a vice captain that in most cases falls on deaf ears or he is just plain wrong. That is Vice Captain to future PK, future WSS. That is what Oda decided is better than a colorful Zoro personality wise pre TS

Next Up
Luffy - Naruto 2.0, the Selfish One and Mary Sue

This post is dog shit
Post automatically merged:

I just wanna point out no one voted that post TS Zoro is better.
Like no shit
Pre TS Zoro was too good of a character by One Piece standards

Post TS Zoro is great by One Piece standards but one piece standards are very low when likes of Doffy and Law are considered great characters

Like always some of these Zoro fans just can't accept criticism, there is a difference between liking a character but also seeing flaws for that character even if they are minor and liking a character and saying that character is perfect, has no flaws, and seeing that character as a god.

:lusalty:

I'd write an extensive rebuttal of this with panels, but I'm supposed to be on hiatus now, so I'll be very brief.

In brief, Zoro had some more depth to him preskip, but he hasn't been a one dimensional edge lord postskip:
  • Zoro smiled at various points in Punk Hazard.
  • He had funny and heartwarming moments with Tashigi and spent a while carrying her around.
  • He was laughing/smiling when he saved Luffy from Mama's Heavenly Fire just recently.
  • He was smiling when he gave Chopper the antidote and entrusted things to him.
  • In Wano Zoro bonded with Yasuie, Tama and Hiyori and had several emotional moments with them.

This post is based on very selective attention/memory and outright falsehoods:
  • Zoro only smiles when he cuts things: False
    • He smiled after seeing Kinemon cut an explosion, after reuniting with Luffy on Wano, laughed after saving Luffy from Mama's Heavenly Fire, etc.
  • Zoro only cuts things: False
    • He advises and chastises Luffy
    • He provides emotional support for Luffy
  • Zoro is not the Vice Captain: False
    • See above
    • After retrieving the antidote from Apoo, Zoro delegated handling the treatment to Chopper and reassured him.
  • Zoro doesn't express emotions and is always angry: False
    • He's been cocky, happy, sad, surprised, distressed, grateful and several other emotions.
      • The claim that Zoro is emotionally constipated is a flat out lie.
    • He's only really been angry at specific moments (e.g. when he swore to avenge Yasuie, when he saw Okiku's arm fall through the roof).

Most of Zoro's emotions are expressed in regards to Luffy. If you were criticising Zoro, then a criticism about his role as an accessory to Luffy's would make sense, but the current criticism is based on falsehoods.

The only thing true about what you said is Zoro having been more expressive and having more depth preskip, but the extent to which that's true has been greatly overstated.

Don't bother replying, I'm not going to see it/respond.
/thread

Chapter 602 - Chopper on Zoro shoulders
Chapter 603 - Chopper knocks out Zoro & Usopp knocks out Luffy (similar to the parallel Usopp and Luffy being best friends Chopper and Zoro big bro little bro relationship)
Chapter 635 - Zoro yelling at Chopper to stop showing off during the grand fight with the New Fishmen pirates
Chapter 642 - Zoro comments on Choppers new hybrid form - Chopper says he's willing to become a monster for Luffy sake
Chapter 648 - Chopper mentions after using Monster Point he can't move and asks if anyone is hurt - Zoro states no is in a worse state then Chopper
Chapter 814 (x2) - Chopper being upset with Zoro regarding his remarks on Sanji (cute part is since Chopper is mad at Zoro he doesn't ride on his shoulders or head he switches between Luffy and Franky)
Chapter 994 - Chopper ask Zoro to retrieve the antidote from Apoo
Chapter 997 (x2) - Zoro gets the antidote and gives it to Chopper asking if he can handle this floor | Queen aims a mini gun at Chopper Zoro destroys it protecting Chopper.
** one more for good measure ** Marco heals Chopper, Zoro thinking he attacked him attempts to cut down Marco.

@Zenos7 @HA001 @Sword God Ryuma @Chrono

Took me forever lol had to go through all post-ts but what's crazy is the similarities between Usopps interactions with Luffy & Chopper with Zoro.

So Usopp being a good liar vs Luffy who cannot lie properly
Chopper being a beast but hated it vs Zoro who enjoys being a beast and loves fighting (funny how Chopper looks up to someone like him)

Last edited:

Quickly - Besides Zoro cutting stuff what else does he do in the crew?

The answer is nothing; I suppose he has a role Vice Captain but Zoro only acted few times as such. In Punk Hazard he told Luffy to get serious considering the stakes and Luffy through New World has been nothing but selfish and reckless. Zoro as Vice Captain should reel Luffy in and keep him at check and not make him to dumb stuff that put the crew in jeopardy. Zoro does bare minimum to keep Luffy in check. Hell even few chapters ago he warned Luffy to get serious after Luffy got a fireball in his face and what does Luffy do? Goes G4 super early and wastes his Haki and now Zoro has to baby sit him. In Dressrosa he did lead people to try and stall the birdcage and to that I give him props. In Zou he did voice his opinion how Sanji should be left which to me was the most ridiculous thing he did post TS. Sanji's situation was nothing more than Robin 2.0 and Zoro had no objections going to E. Lobby to save her. Meanwhile he suddenly has problems saving Sanji under the premise that Luffy will pick a fight with Big Mom - But Luffy already picked a fight with Big Mom and Zoro was there when Luffy declared war to her. Zoro was in no position to be against getting back Sanji considering he stuck his head for any crew member. and Zoro knows Luffy well enough to know Luffy won't stay calm until Sanji is with them. To me that whole scene was just yikes. So with Zoro's Vice Captain position being pretty much empty shell considering he does bare minimum about it we are left with an question what does Zoro do in the crew? Sanji cooks, Nami navigates, Robin studies, Choper cures and so on. What does Zoro do? He fights people, that is legit 99% of things Zoro does post TS. He was degraded to Luffy's dog on a leash and when its needed Luffy just goes - GO SICK EM BOY, GO GO. Now I already know what you guys will say - But Beky Zoro did that before Time Skip too. And yes, you would be right - the difference is that Pre Time Skip Zoro had other stuff going for him besides that. Pre Time Skip whenever the crew visited a new island the main question would be - I wonder what every person in the crew will do? Post TS the only question being asked about Zoro is - Who will Zoro fight? If you think I am wrong, just check all Zoro threads here. Now, I understand his ambition is to be WSS but does he really have nothing else going on in his life besides that? If that is enough for you to like Zoro i seriously wish you all the best and enjoy him to the fullest. To me that isn't enough. I preferred Zoro when he had a soul to him, when he wasn't this Edgelord that only wants to fight people. Yea he is cool sometimes but its shell of what he used to be. A much more alive character with less edgy persona.

Zoros role on the ship is the combatant, his entire dream has been centered around fighting,he spends most his free time training you act you know zoros character but couldnt even be bother to search up his role

Last edited: