Current Events Thoughts on these takes regarding Wano and the fandom

I might make a (much) longer thread about this but I think that a major criticism of One Piece that's started to manifest in the post-TS is that the payoff is not matching the setup/hype/expectations the story laid out.
Yes,that is it.Oda hyped too much and didn't deliver.Too much side characters and we barely have that feeling of adventure,tension and the humor with The Straw Hats that we all love pre-time skip.
Post automatically merged:

I still blame udon for taking too many panel, rather than show strawhats doing something:lusalty:
Oda is just bad at cutting of panels.The entire post-time skip could do with 30% less panels.Things would feel a lot more fluid.

Yes,that is it.Oda hyped too much and didn't deliver.Too much side characters and we barely have that feeling of adventure,tension and the humor with The Straw Hats that we all love pre-time skip.

Oda is just bad a cutting of panels.The entire post-time skip could do with 30% less panels.Things would feel a lot more fluid.
Like if you think about it, the vast majority of interesting plot-threads set up in Saobody - Marineford and in the early Post TS haven’t actually payed off.

None of the supernovas other than Law have had satisfying stories, we still don’t know anything about the void century, we’ve barely seen tons of the character we’re interested in (Shanks, Blackbeard, Mihawk, Aokiji, etc), haki is incredibly convoluted and underwhelming, no new ancient weapon stuff in the last decade, etc.

Dedicating so much of the story to BM and Kaido after we already had a more interested overarching story established was a bad move writing wise.

Likes there’s a reason why so many people like Zou and the Reverie but not WCI.

Like if you think about it, the vast majority of interesting plot-threads set up in Saobody - Marineford and in the early Post TS haven’t actually payed off.

None of the supernovas other than Law have had satisfying stories, we still don’t know anything about the void century, we’ve barely seen tons of the character we’re interested in (Shanks, Blackbeard, Mihawk, Aokiji, etc), haki is incredibly convoluted and underwhelming, no new ancient weapon stuff in the last decade, etc.

Dedicating so much of the story to BM and Kaido after we already had a more interested overarching story established was a bad move writing wise.

Likes there’s a reason why so many people like Zou and the Reverie but not WCI.
Oda is at his best when is building the world.Lore Piece is the best thing we have going in this show.I hope the next arc we get to see to quality time with the straw hats,adventure,humor,more lore and world building and finish it all off with good paced action and development for the straw hats,

TheAncientCenturion

I will never forgive Oda
‎‎‎
@TheAncientCenturion so I take it you’re on GLR’s side in this discussion?
I'm not on any side, Wano fights haven't been entertaining for their choreography or plot relevance. You'll only like them if you have some excuse for liking the characters in them. But Morj whining now just screams to me like a fan who's pissy because what he wanted to happen didn't pan out.

I'm not on any side, Wano fights haven't been entertaining for their choreography or plot relevance. You'll only like them if you have some excuse for liking the characters in them. But Morj whining now just screams to me like a fan who's pissy because what he wanted to happen didn't pan out.
I think there’s a general misunderstanding with Morj. He wanted the raid to fail because he thought it was the most obvious way to bring tension to the most significant arc in the series.

I think it’s a little disingenuous to claim that his whining only pertains to the raid failing.

Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
Moving this here from the Spoiler Waiting Room because I thought it was interesting enough to warrant a dedicated discussion.

What are your thoughts?
It's too long, the first half focused on the scabbards who weren't interesting enough to crack the top 50 in popularity polls. Usopp gets sidelined for 6 years just for Oda to give him the worst treatment he's ever given a straw hat in his life. The fights were boring, Jimbe vs Who's who was not decent, it was ass, Franky vs Sasaki was so rushed, you could tell Oda didn't give af about making his fight interesting.

The highlight of Wano is Robin vs Black Maria, everything else is mediocre especially if your favorite straw hat isn't in the monster trio

Zoro vs King is the perfect representation of Wa No as an arc overall and how Oda misses the beat.

You are in the land of Samurai, the Samurai that have been low-key built up since Thriller Bark, you have one of the protagonists literally being called Mr Bushido and is a hardcore swordsman, and you let him fight against a dinosaur, hilarious.

Even funnier, the sword swallowers actually thinking it was a good fight.

Adam 🍎

Pretty Boy
The fuck was so enjoyable about King? Zoro was tossed around until Enma invoked Kamehameha for Zoro. King has 0 personality and his backstory is meh at best.

Queen is a fucking idiot.

Jack... what the fuck was even Jack?

WsW? Jimbei got serious for 1 second and fight was over

Page One? Lmao

Ulti? Actually decent if you ignore just how lucky Nami and Usopp got

Sasaki? Lmao

Wano suffers from the same problems as Dressrosa to many characters/plot threads and Oda being unable to handle or not wanting to dedicate time to give a satisfying conclusion.

Also doesn't help that Oda had treated the main threats Kaido and Big Mom like a joke. Just compare how Oda handled big mom and kaido to Enel in terms of being a powerhouse it's night and day

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
I think there’s a general misunderstanding with Morj. He wanted the raid to fail because he thought it was the most obvious way to bring tension to the most significant arc in the series.

I think it’s a little disingenuous to claim that his whining only pertains to the raid failing.
It's not just about his 'raid fails' theories. This is just one of the classic examples of people complaining because things didn't go the way they want them. In his case, he apparently wanted the raid to fail which means he likely expected the Beast Pirates to have a second round or something to raise tension or to make things more interesting, so people ultimately link it to his theories regardless of how much he wants to deny it. With that being said, he's not really wrong in thinking fights in Wano are bad but the reasons he's using to justify his claims aren't legit.

I actually think it's sad when you realize the whole reason he wants the raid to fail is that he thinks Wano is bad.
:josad:
The tension in wano is horrendous hence why he wants the raid to fail to give some semblance of doom in said war with 2 yonko. His point is valid.

Also funny how some of the best parts of the wano arc came from outside wano :saden:
Exactly. The stuff from the holy land was 10 out of 10 chapters back to back to back. Wano had great moments but it had more terrible ones point blank. The tension in this war is 100% dead

Last edited: