General & Others Unpopular Opinions?

Good Morning. Some new unpopular opinions:

A) Yamato content originally was supposedly to be Hyori's. Hyori was hinted to be a tomboy and was missing for a long time in the story. Her being captured by Kaido and Oroshi, abused and used to consolidate the power of the shogun would make sense, as well as the bombs and the obsession with Oden. She would met her brother in Onigashima and together restore wano. But them, executives needed Nakama and marketing bait and created Yamato to troll people.

B) Tama nakama spot is consolidated.

C) Mihawk will never fight Zoro (outside flashbacks). He will be defeated, Oda may even hint that he died (just for him to appear later) by someone and this ''someone'' will be Zoro's final opponent. He is not written as a antagonist and need a real opponent to show his true strength (as weak as that may be).

D) Oda gave up on Zoro. What I mean by that is that he don't care anymore to develop his character and past or even his fights that are almost formulaic by now. He tried to do something on Wano but was forced to change course to introduce Yamato and nakama bait. Every single Zoro scene that could have happened in wano was trashed because of Yamato. Now he don't care anymore.

D) Oda gave up on Zoro. What I mean by that is that he don't care anymore to develop his character and past or even his fights that are almost formulaic by now. He tried to do something on Wano but was forced to change course to introduce Yamato and nakama bait. Every single Zoro scene that could have happened in wano was trashed because of Yamato. Now he don't care anymore.
I understand that it's unpopular thread, but how can you say this after Zoro was the only Nakama on the rooftop?
Like, Usopp and Nami didn't even get a fight.
After Sanji, Zoro is the Nakama with more attention I would say.

Good Morning. Some new unpopular opinions:

A) Yamato content originally was supposedly to be Hyori's. Hyori was hinted to be a tomboy and was missing for a long time in the story. Her being captured by Kaido and Oroshi, abused and used to consolidate the power of the shogun would make sense, as well as the bombs and the obsession with Oden. She would met her brother in Onigashima and together restore wano. But them, executives needed Nakama and marketing bait and created Yamato to troll people.

B) Tama nakama spot is consolidated.

C) Mihawk will never fight Zoro (outside flashbacks). He will be defeated, Oda may even hint that he died (just for him to appear later) by someone and this ''someone'' will be Zoro's final opponent. He is not written as a antagonist and need a real opponent to show his true strength (as weak as that may be).

A) Feels more like Yamato was created cause oda wanted to add more fanservice. No other reason.

B) Tama is too young and physically immature to join. Luffy isn’t bringing a child.

C) How is he not written as a final antagonist?

D) Zoros backstory isn’t important. It never was important to Zoro so I don’t get why people are obsessed with him getting one. What matters to Zoro is where he’s going and whether he has the strength to achieve his dream. His backstory and who he came from adds nothing to his character.

I understand that it's unpopular thread, but how can you say this after Zoro was the only Nakama on the rooftop?
Like, Usopp and Nami didn't even get a fight.
After Sanji, Zoro is the Nakama with more attention I would say.
Because character development is not measured by fights. Fighting a opponent that overpowers him, get his ass kicked and then trying to teleport behind the enemy and win with a OHKO gets boring after a while. That's why I even stated that his fights are almost formulaic by now.

A) Feels more like Yamato was created cause oda wanted to add more fanservice. No other reason.

B) Tama is too young and physically immature to join. Luffy isn’t bringing a child.

C) How is he not written as a final antagonist?

D) Zoros backstory isn’t important. It never was important to Zoro so I don’t get why people are obsessed with him getting one. What matters to Zoro is where he’s going and whether he has the strength to achieve his dream. His backstory and who he came from adds nothing to his character.
A) Fan service and merch selling for people that thought that she would join. What I tried to say is that certain elements existed before and were hinted by Oda to include Hiyori in Wano without making her a hooker. Imagine just for a moment that the wano background f Yamato (with her being put together with the samurais to starve, having people being crucified and killed for trying to help her and so on) where with Hiyori as well as the moments in Onigashima. It would actually work a little.

B)Already asked to join and was accepted on panel. Deal with it.

C) Because he ended up as teacher and somewhat of a friend. If they met the fight would be more of a friendly spar than a full fight or a fight where Mihawk holds back in order to teach something to his student to defeat X. The first would be typical of a off screened battle at the end of a manga and the latter would be the set up to fight the true final opponent.

D) Usually people that want character development just want a better story. Some fans just like to see fights. I disagree however with the statement that a backstory adds nothing to a character, at a minimum it asserts why he acts the way he does and helps develop future conflicts and connections that can add to a story in different ways.

Because character development is not measured by fights. Fighting a opponent that overpowers him, get his ass kicked and then trying to teleport behind the enemy and win with a OHKO gets boring after a while. That's why I even stated that his fights are almost formulaic by now.

A) Fan service and merch selling for people that thought that she would join. What I tried to say is that certain elements existed before and were hinted by Oda to include Hiyori in Wano without making her a hooker. Imagine just for a moment that the wano background f Yamato (with her being put together with the samurais to starve, having people being crucified and killed for trying to help her and so on) where with Hiyori as well as the moments in Onigashima. It would actually work a little.

B)Already asked to join and was accepted on panel. Deal with it.

C) Because he ended up as teacher and somewhat of a friend. If they met the fight would be more of a friendly spar than a full fight or a fight where Mihawk holds back in order to teach something to his student to defeat X. The first would be typical of a off screened battle at the end of a manga and the latter would be the set up to fight the true final opponent.

D) Usually people that want character development just want a better story. Some fans just like to see fights. I disagree however with the statement that a backstory adds nothing to a character, at a minimum it asserts why he acts the way he does and helps develop future conflicts and connections that can add to a story in different ways.
B) When she becomes a “bewitching kunoichi” which means an adult. Which is in 9-10 years. Definitely not during the manga

C) Zoro trained to surpass Mihawk. If they fight it’ll be Zoro and Mihawk putting their dreams on the line no way that’ll be friendly.

D) Why does he act as he does? He wants to be the best. Not everyone needs a super in depth reason for that. Zoros just a competitive person who wants to be the strongest swordsman. It’s a classic shonen trope and nothing wrong with it. Zoro vs King I have issues with how it just turned into two people fighting for their captains since Oda decided not to make king a swordsman, but Zoro doesn’t need more depth because we know why he does everything he does. He wants to be the best.

I am 100% with you on this, when I replied I didn't understand the perspective.
I agree that Zoro is not really interesting, but he's always been like this, the only real moment he had in the story was Thriller Bark, but even there he didn't deviate too much from "coolest strong guy ever".

My point is, compared to other crewmembers, if I had to make a chart of "Oda has given up", I would say that:
1. Usopp
2. Robin
3. Brook

Are way ahead of Zoro, who at least participate to the plot a bit.
Post automatically merged:

On this I agree.
Mihawk needs to lose to somebody and that somebody has to be Zoro final opponent.
As it is now, it's either the last panel we see Zoro as a "Let's see who is the strongest" a la Musashi, or literally just fight for a fight, which One Piece has never been about.

1) Egghead is the second best arc after Marineford.
2) Awakening as a concept is trash. I mean it had potential at first but at this point, is just a lazy way by oda to power up characters(law and kidd vs big mom for example).
3) wano should have been zoro's arc. Fighting a powerful samurai that would elevate him slightly below Mihawks lvl. And that samurai would have been a badass version of orochi. Sadly we never saw it.
4) Aside of some episodes, the current animation is one of the worst ever. Unecessary auras and inconsistency in characters designs(hybrid drake's design doesnt have tail or dino legs. Its basically just a guy with a dino mask).

3) wano should have been zoro's arc. Fighting a powerful samurai that would elevate him slightly below Mihawks lvl. And that samurai would have been a badass version of orochi. Sadly we never saw it.
Oda wrote himself into a corner, making all the Samurais good character except the absolute joke that is Kanjuro.
Then you get king who suddenly has a sword?

Oda wrote himself into a corner, making all the Samurais good character except the absolute joke that is Kanjuro.
Then you get king who suddenly has a sword?
I think he should have made them more bloodthirsty and serious and not so goofy. The scabbards were basically a circus. Only kyoshiro was decent but was forgotten. Actually he made no impact to the story at all. So much potential wasted!

I think he should have made them more bloodthirsty and serious and not so goofy. The scabbards were basically a circus. Only kyoshiro was decent but was forgotten. Actually he made no impact to the story at all. So much potential wasted!
Absolutely.
The Samurai were supposed to be a formidable army.
Then you have that the only two relatively strong are Dog and Cat, which I would argue are not even samurai, and Kyoshiro.
The other are between Tashigi tier and smoker tier, with Kin'emon being ????

Absolutely.
The Samurai were supposed to be a formidable army.
Then you have that the only two relatively strong are Dog and Cat, which I would argue are not even samurai, and Kyoshiro.
The other are between Tashigi tier and smoker tier, with Kin'emon being ????
I think they were just withered down by Kaido's brutal rule over 20 years

Characters like Hyogoro were present, who by portrayal is definitely a commander level character

Still, Kyoshiro is pretty strong. He was implied to be as strong or stronger than pre Enma Zoro. He was for sure, a solid commander level character, above Jack and probably close to Queen.

Shutenmaru was >= Jack

We also have to look in context.
Commanders tend to be characters who are capable of soloing a whole country! Look at what Doflamingo did to Dresrossa for example.

Wano had multiple fighters at that level:
- Kyoshiro: a mid-end commander level fighter
- Shutenmaru: a low-end commander level, >= Jack
- prime Hyogoro: portrayal and how much Kaido wanted him to join him, suggests he's probably a mid-end commander level fighter
- Usihmaru and other Daimyo: probably low-end commander level fighters or at least Tobiroppo tiers.
- Izo: stronger than all Tobiroppo based on feats
- Kin'emon, Kiku, Raizo: Tobiroppo level fighters
- Fukurokuju: Tobiroppo tier

Cat, Dog and Kawamatsu weren't Wano born samurai/humans, so IDK if we can consider them as you said.
But anyway, they are at least considered as such in some way and given the title of scabbard. Base Cat/Dog are low-end commander level fighters (slightly weaker than Jack), Sulong Cat/Dog are mid-end commander level fighters (considerably stronger than Jack). Kawamatsu is at least Tobiroppo level

What we are seeing in Wano, considering all this, is a Yonko crew without a Yonko.
And this Yonko level fighter was Oden. The Wano that we got to see was basically a Yonko crew whose Yonko died.

So I'd argue that Wano's military force certainly lived upto their reputation.
What we got to see was just the withered version of their military force, after decades of brutal occupation.