General & Others What actually happened to Oda?

Of course, Wano already has 140 chapters and it should be about 20 more to finish, if Oda detailed the fights and showed them complete, literally 5 Supernovas vs 2 Yonko would still be happening. But you deny that the fight plots aren't much better and more exciting? Will you deny that the powers and abilities aren't much better and more complex? Luffy and the rest are finally challenging the top, ever since their announcement in Walter 7 we've been waiting a long time for this.
but this is the problem so me and so many others have

Because we've been waiting so long for this, Kaido and Big Mom were the one fights Oda shouldn't have messed up. They should have been the best fights in the series. Yeah wano is long, but it wouldn't have been an issue if Oda just cut the crap and focused on the important things from the beginning.

Let's say you were born in 1997. You probably don't remember the first five years, but whatever. All the stuff you learned, from how to not shit all over yourself to however many languages you know, to hobbies and relationships. You graduated school, you have a job and responsibilities in the place you live. Maybe you have a significant other and or kids.

This whole time, Oda has been slaving away with this shit. By the time your memory started he was just starting to peak as a creator, and began both a family and empire of his own. Grinding over twenty years. Maybe he is tired in some ways. Maybe you're tired from all the shit you do and you just project it onto him. Maybe it's all of the above.

The story definitely has flaws but anyone who actually believes that modern OP is of that much lower quality than pre time skip is a fucking imbecile.

Like i know it's probably just trolling but the way some people here act as if Oda didnt care anymore and was just shitting stuff out for the money, despite all the work that goes into creating a manga weekly, just disgusts me.

Last edited:
Nothing happens aside from his health issue i guess..
Dude..OP has running for how many decades? If you don't like the current storyline, just drop the manga already.

What I hate this kind of people is, they read manga since beginning, assume that they understand the storyline, trying to determine what should happen afterwards in the story, but end up Oda didn't follow this people route..then there we have this f*** up OP fan bitching everyday.

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
It's comparatively easy to get on the top but hard to maintain that.

Let's look into ourselves - we all work. Some of us still trying to reach to the pinnacle and some might have reached to the top. But can we maintain that high standards with same enthusiasm for 24/7/365 for god damn 25 years? Nah man... it's easier said than done.

It's really really challenging especially when you consider old age, work toll on health taking place on Oda. And, when it comes to health then it's just not physical but mental health too which is reflected on him running out of creative ideas.

Yet, story still remains consistent to much degree remarkably. Yes, post ts there is drop in quality but t's amazing that he still maintains decent level of standards even after giving 25 years to this. No amount of money can make you push this long unless you really love what you do.

It's easier to criticize then to actually delivers. It's easier to give advice then to actually follow the advice.

Along with this, weekly discussion and waiting for chapters, and high standards expectations which he himself laid down during pre ts adds to the disappointment which we experience.

Last edited:
Because we've been waiting so long for this, Kaido and Big Mom were the one fights Oda shouldn't have messed up. They should have been the best fights in the series
At this point I cannot disagree. Although Kaido IMO are the best fights.

I'm looking forward to seeing Hybrid Kaido and Big Mom Berserker in the anime. Kid and Law vs BM may have had a lot of cut scenes, but it had impressive techniques.

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
Posttimeskip- One Piece has been nothing but a disapointment. I always give the next arc a new chance but with Wano i gave up my hope. I dont think One PIece will ever be good again.

What i dont understand how a good creator like Oda suddenly starts producing such garbage? Why not keep the quality from pretimeskip One Piece? I want to know what happened to him.
They needed a money hog. Oda was perfect for this. Loyal fans who will always make sure he rolls around 1m copies sold. Good fake promotion to raise the hopes that quality is going to increase and shit and people get fooled year after year.

Oda's writing ability died with the beginning of the timeskip.

Kid and Law vs BM may have had a lot of cut scenes, but it had impressive techniques.
That was the absolute bare minimum Oda needed to do.

I can't make excuses for Oda shafting an antagonist he built up over multiple arcs, while this same man would rather give fodder like Hody and Caesar 50-60 chapter arcs, when these guys were literally 1 shot material. Oda also made Kid the laughing stock of the community, with him doing nothing to kaido and not even getting a spotlight against Linlin.
Post automatically merged:

At this point I cannot disagree. Although Kaido IMO are the best fights.
they look good but the plot is awful
Post automatically merged:

They needed a money hog. Oda was perfect for this. Loyal fans who will always make sure he rolls around 1m copies sold. Good fake promotion to raise the hopes that quality is going to increase and shit and people get fooled year after year.

Oda's writing ability died with the beginning of the timeskip.
WCI and Wano made me regret ever being this invested in OP. You said it correctly, Oda is their money hog. The editors probably told Oda to stretch out FI, PH, and DR so they could make as much bank as they could from OP's post marineford success.

I don't think its that simple, maybe you just started getting older, and reading it weekly

Im 100% sure people would shit on Oda if he gave us something like the Foxy arc in the post-ts LoL

There are a few things that might have gotten worse, like the amount of side characters and the screentime they get post-ts, but most of these side characters are also better than the pre-ts ones. So with that we got less screentime for the main characters, something that the pre-ts didn't do cuz the pre-ts used to be all about the Strawhats for the most past
I disagree. The pre-ts secondary characters struck a great balance for the most part. Some of the post-ts ones are actually worse precisely because they steal so much spotlight from the Strawhats to essentially do nothing.

The post-ts ones also don't benefit from repeating a lot of things that we've already seen from the pre-skip ones. It just makes them feel like poor copies that just fail to strike the same emotional tone.

Also, people still shit on the Foxy arc regardless. It's almost always at the bottom of a lot of people's lists. Everyone knows the intention of that short arc though, so it doesn't feel as bad as something like Wano that spans so many chapters.

I feel like so many things people are saying are just excuses that aren't really that true, at least not for the majority of people.

My experience was: binged watched / read One Piece from the start up to Luffy vs Katakuri, that's when i caught up to the story and started following it weekly. I did all of this older already, when i was like 21~22. My life during that time wasn't also amazing, so i'm not making a conection of One Piece being better back then because i had a better life either, there's no nostalgia factor for me.

It feels very objective that once you get past the timeskip, the quality and enjoyment of the series has a significant drop.

If you doubt me, check out the many reactors / reviewers getting into the story right now and you will see how their perspectives change once the timeskip hits.

Most of us loves the Straw Hats, or at least a few of them, and they got completely pushed to the sidelines in the timeskip.

Most of us also loved the simplistc and impactful artstyle and paneling of Pre-TS One Piece, that is gone now, Post-TS paneling and art doesn't come close.

There's not much sense of closed adventures in each island anymore, every island feels like it's conected to the rest of the world or the lore in terms of politics and impact. Pre-TS had a massive feel change from each arc, but Post-TS despite the settings change, most arcs kinda have the same feeling still.

That's some of my opinions.
"Paradise" "New world" are the key words.

I used to think like that until a few days ago when I wondered if me binging pre-TS was the reason why I feel such; anyways, I still think that there were some unnecessary things that happened in Wano as well as unexplored potential but this is just my perspective.

For example, I think Oda should have explored the Shinsengumi and make one of the Scabbards as the leader of the organisation, create supporting characters for that scabbard(ie, Hijikata, Okita, and so on) and create a plot point involving him with Zoro, King and the Mimawarigumi leader after making the later a Yonko commander level character

I think... nothing happened! And thats the problem! At the beginning he was a more active person in life of course,now he spends most of his time in his office,and the rest as a family man,so its hard to get good inspiration if you dont live life

I feel like so many things people are saying are just excuses that aren't really that true, at least not for the majority of people.

My experience was: binged watched / read One Piece from the start up to Luffy vs Katakuri, that's when i caught up to the story and started following it weekly. I did all of this older already, when i was like 21~22. My life during that time wasn't also amazing, so i'm not making a conection of One Piece being better back then because i had a better life either, there's no nostalgia factor for me.

It feels very objective that once you get past the timeskip, the quality and enjoyment of the series has a significant drop.

If you doubt me, check out the many reactors / reviewers getting into the story right now and you will see how their perspectives change once the timeskip hits.

Most of us loves the Straw Hats, or at least a few of them, and they got completely pushed to the sidelines in the timeskip.

Most of us also loved the simplistc and impactful artstyle and paneling of Pre-TS One Piece, that is gone now, Post-TS paneling and art doesn't come close.

There's not much sense of closed adventures in each island anymore, every island feels like it's conected to the rest of the world or the lore in terms of politics and impact. Pre-TS had a massive feel change from each arc, but Post-TS despite the settings change, most arcs kinda have the same feeling still.

That's some of my opinions.
i cant say about many but I have rarely seen anyone who has binged keep Dresrossa and WCI lower.
For me Dresrossa is the TOp 3 arc after MF and Ennis Lobby but I can understand why weekly reading would suck.
Same for WCI ,I found it quite nice and was shocked that so many people reading weekly hate it that much.
But i can understand why weekly reading this two arc would be so shit.