Powers & Abilities What is Shanks?

What is he?

• Total voters
At least other yonkos have a Devil Fruit, what does have Shanks? Haki isn't a fighting style in its own, it only helps to improve the fighting style you're already using
He pull out a gun or he starts fighting using his head like Don Chinjao? Or he fights using black leg style?
I'm just saying that Shanks is very likely to not be entirely reliant with a sword. It doesn't make any sense. Oda himself has called Mihawk the "Worlds Strongest Swordsman", yet Shanks is considered one of the 4 strongest pirates in the World currently. So which is it?

The only logical conclusion is that Shanks is not JUST a sword user, unlike Mihawk.

I'm just saying that Shanks is very likely to not be entirely reliant with a sword. It doesn't make any sense. Oda himself has called Mihawk the "Worlds Strongest Swordsman", yet Shanks is considered one of the 4 strongest pirates in the World currently. So which is it?

The only logical conclusion is that Shanks is not JUST a sword user, unlike Mihawk.
Yonkou being the 4 strongest pirates is another of the fandom misconceptions, please read the following carefully

Thanks to @Den_Den_Mushi
今は星の数ほどおる海賊 - Currently there are countless pirates, just like the stars
今 - currently
星の数ほど - as many as the stars
海賊 - pirates

かの白ひげに並ぶ四人の大海賊の一人じゃ - He is one of 4 great pirates alongside Whitebeard
かの - He (Shanks)
白ひげに並ぶ - alongside Whitebeard
四人の大海賊 - 4 great pirates
一人じゃ - He is one of them

グランドラインの後半の海にまるで皇帝のように君臨する奴ら、「四皇」と呼ぶ - They rule like emperors in the second half of the grand line, we call them 'Yonkou'
グランドラインの後半 - latter half of Grand Line
まるで皇帝のように - like emperors
君臨する奴ら - they reign
四皇 - yonkou

the use of characters such as 'reign like emperors' and the use of 大海賊 (great pirates) rather than 最強の海賊 (the strongest pirates) or 最悪の海賊 (the worst pirates) carry the implication that Garp is referring to political power

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman

Not strongest pirates. Powerful as in a political sense

Shanks seen as a kid has a sword
Vs shikki uses a sword
Vs mihawk many times uses a sword
When he thought ace came for a fight he reached for his sword
Ace novel states when shanks coc isnt enough he grabs his sword
Duels mihawk using his sword
Named sword btw called gryphon
Clashes with wb with his sword
Blocks akainu with his sword
Challenges marineford by brandishing hia sword

So how the fuck is he not a swordsman
Post automatically merged:

Uh, yes it is? The Yonko are the pirate captains themselves, not their crews. Please learn to read the fucking manga lmao
No its not clown.

Okay so Shanks is below Mihawk then as the "Worlds Strongest Swordsman" yet is a Yonko?

I'm failing to understand your logic.
They laughing at you because they have no answer.
They can't deal with the fact that vista and crocodile stopped mihawk and that he ran away when shanks arrived at marineford.

That's why they keep on bringing that title because his feats are shite. And they know it.
All they can bring is mihawk cutting some iceberg:milaugh::milaugh:
Was that iceberg a top tier?:choppawhat:

define the thread

is Shanks a swordsman? ... yes ... his primary weapon seems to be sword therefore he is a swordsman

is Shanks a Hakiman? ... wait ... what is a Haki man
well as far as I'm aware the terms is used for people whom their strongest fire power is their overall 3 Haki ... or mostly their CoC

so ... is Shanks a Haki man ... well ... yes, as far as we can guess

he is 2nd strongest swordsman in the world
but
he is most likely strongest overall Haki user in the world

so ... his primary term is Haki therefore he is more of a Haki man than a swordsman while being both

p.s

- if advance CoC don't be as strong as it's hyped to be ... argument is wrong
- if Shanks sword skill give him more power than his CoC ... argument is wrong

p.s2

people who disrespect Shanks , would not enjoy next arc ....
even if he be a fodder, Shanks gonna get the respect he should ...

Last edited:
Okay clown so by your logic Mihawk surpasses all of this right?

By your own words, Mihawk is stronger than Shanks. Apparently, by that logic, Mihawk is stronger that THE PIRATE KING AND THE WORLDS STRONGEST MAN

Unbelievable that I have to have this dumbass, illogical conversation with a dumbass.

Get over yourself.
Yes mihawk is stronger than shanks, what has that to do with wb or roger :milaugh:

Last edited by a moderator:
No you retarded fuck
Roger is dead
And wb isnt a swordsman.
Shanks is. As my post above proves he only uses a sword so hes below mihawk.
Yes mihawk is stronger than shanks dumbass what has that to do with wb or roger u fking clown? :milaugh:

These 2 responses are exactly the type of nonsensical bullshit that comprises this silly fanbase. Whatever I'm out. Enjoy your dumbass thread guys.

First of all it was "Mihawk is a better swordsman and Shanks had a better Haki overall" (not only CoC, but CoA and CoO as well)

-Then we had first flashback on Zoro's training: it was about CoA
-Then we had the whole Katakuri stuff: CoO, even in its most advanced stage doesn't change one's fighting style
-Then in Wano we had the advanced CoA stuff: advanced CoA is considered pinnacle of swordsmanship and black blade are also related to CoA

Now all that's left is CoC, I'm just waiting for Zoro showing it *, then all Shanks' non-swordsmanship hype will be destroyed.

*and it's not far fetched, deep down in your heart you just know this, Zoro fan or Zoro hater, he's gonna show it soon or later

His fame comes from him being a yonko. Since then mihawk is afraid of fighting him. I don't know how refusing a fight makes someone look better than the one asking for it.
Never knew cowardice was rewarded.
No it doesn't.

From the Ace novel, it was stated majority of Shanks fame came from the fact that he fought against Mihawk. This novel is written whilse Ace was alive, a couple of years after Shanks became a yonko.

So if Shanks was known/famous for being a yonko, why would they novel state that majority of his fame came from fighting Mihawk?

No it doesn't.

From the Ace novel, it was stated majority of Shanks fame came from the fact that he fought against Mihawk. This novel is written whilse Ace was alive, a couple of years after Shanks became a yonko.

So if Shanks was known/famous for being a yonko, why would they novel state that majority of his fame came from fighting Mihawk?
From the Ace novel. Mmh ok, I believe it now, thanks:vistalaugh: