General & Others What is the point of Wano?

One Piece's problems have been consistent pretty much since the beginning. The difference is people have massive nostalgia goggles for pre-timeskip. People no joke complained about the same shit:

- CP-9 arc too long
- WTF random power ups?!?!
- Too many characters
- EVERYBODY survived!
- Wow Usopp got fucked over
- Spandam is such a waste of a villain
- etc etc.
Dude, we already went through this. Ennies Lobby was 56 chapters!!! Also, Ennies Lobby occurred over 15 years ago. You can't compare the contents of an arc that was still in the beginning phases of the story which One Piece was during that time where Oda was still fleshing things out. We are now 25 years into One Piece, so all the phases should have already been planned out and we should be getting relevant information instead we are getting chapters of Momo crashing into buildings. Or Yamato wasting her time on some stupid bomb plot that Oda decided to create out his ass all of a sudden as if Big Mom, Kaido and a fucking 5 mile long Island smashing isn't enough.

I bet you money 90% of this forum wasn't around for Thriller Bark, where people shat on the arc UNTIL the Zoro vs Ryuuma and subsequently the Oars fight. A lot of people did not like Moria as a followup to Lucci.
Thriller park was 48 chapters my guy! Do you know how to count?? It only took one year and a half years to complete. We are 3 and half years into Wano and we still have another year to go! Like why can't you understand this basic criticism? Yes, One Piece has always had bad pacing HOWEVER the pacing has SIGNFICANTLY gotten worse.

I'm okay with every ass pull and plot device used in wano

The biggest flaw in that arc and many others is how Oda treats the rest of the strawhats outside luffy zoro nami sanji and sometimes usopp

Brook and Franky have less panel time than tama's pet, that says a lot about how little oda cares about these characters

Brook is a swordman, you'd think he'd have a bit more focus this arc and learn things in wano, but nope, let's give nami and sanji ridiculously broken power ups in an arc that don't even fit their theme

Sanji is straight up getting a potential extended backstory AGAIN with the whole lunarian thing and another character arc where he learns to accept his blood in wano

While brook is..., there I guess? Sometimes lol

I love sanji and nami but brook should've gotten as much focus

Oda's preferences are too obvious, I feel like he himself sometimes forgets about the side cast, at this point the story is just about the og 5 while the rest of the cast get nothing

The og 5 always end up top 10 in popularity, heck luffy zoro and sanji never even left the top 5

And it's obvious why they always end up being so popular when oda doesn't even give time for side characters like brook and Franky but instead gives time to characters like Tama who we will all forget about in the next arc

Oda atleast started treating Robin properly, and even fixed the biggest problem with her character, which is how she's seen as only a plot device to read poneglyphes, but now she clearly is getting better

Usopp is pretty much done this arc, he'll be back in elbaf

Chopper is also done, atleast he did something this arc

Brook and Franky were already done before the arc even started

I hope they get more shine, specially brook, he's been done wrong by oda when he has a ridiculous amount of potential, he's an undead swordman who used to be a soldier of a kingdom in north blue and a known criminal and he spent 50 years alone, how do you mess up a character like this?

He should atleast get more sanji interactions because of their connections to North blue and be involved in sanji's next development

But nope, apparently Tama is more important

I'm okay with every ass pull and plot device used in wano

The biggest flaw in that arc and many others is how Oda treats the rest of the strawhats outside luffy zoro nami sanji and sometimes usopp

Brook and Franky have less panel time than tama's pet, that says a lot about how little oda cares about these characters

Brook is a swordman, you'd think he'd have a bit more focus this arc and learn things in wano, but nope, let's give nami and sanji ridiculously broken power ups in an arc that don't even fit their theme

Sanji is straight up getting a potential extended backstory AGAIN with the whole lunarian thing and another character arc where he learns to accept his blood in wano

While brook is..., there I guess? Sometimes lol

I love sanji and nami but brook should've gotten as much focus

Oda's preferences are too obvious, I feel like he himself sometimes forgets about the side cast, at this point the story is just about the og 5 while the rest of the cast get nothing

The og 5 always end up top 10 in popularity, heck luffy zoro and sanji never even left the top 5

And it's obvious why they always end up being so popular when oda doesn't even give time for side characters like brook and Franky but instead gives time to characters like Tama who we will all forget about in the next arc

Oda atleast started treating Robin properly, and even fixed the biggest problem with her character, which is how she's seen as only a plot device to read poneglyphes, but now she clearly is getting better

Usopp is pretty much done this arc, he'll be back in elbaf

Chopper is also done, atleast he did something this arc

Brook and Franky were already done before the arc even started

I hope they get more shine, specially brook, he's been done wrong by oda when he has a ridiculous amount of potential, he's an undead swordman who used to be a soldier of a kingdom in north blue and a known criminal and he spent 50 years alone, how do you mess up a character like this?

He should atleast get more sanji interactions because of their connections to North blue and be involved in sanji's next development

But nope, apparently Tama is more important
And then some fans say why you hate Tama.
You are calling this arc bad because of Tama.
You cant accept diversity, etc.

And then some fans say why you hate Tama.
You are calling this arc bad because of Tama.
You cant accept diversity, etc.
I like Tama, but there is not much to her character, you can sum up personality and entire development in 5 lines

She shouldn't get more focus any crewmember, she should be like the usopp pirates in syrup village

Oda didn't even flesh out her friendship with momo, there's a lot he could've added like Tama telling momo about her past and momo promising her to fix wano and not let anyone starve, or idk a classic social class conflict

Dude, we already went through this. Ennies Lobby was 56 chapters!!! Also, Ennies Lobby occurred over 15 years ago. You can't compare the contents of an arc that was still in the beginning phases of the story which One Piece was during that time where Oda was still fleshing things out. We are now 25 years into One Piece, so all the phases should have already been planned out and we should be getting relevant information instead we are getting chapters of Momo crashing into buildings. Or Yamato wasting her time on some stupid bomb plot that Oda decided to create out his ass all of a sudden as if Big Mom, Kaido and a fucking 5 mile long Island smashing isn't enough.

Thriller park was 48 chapters my guy! Do you know how to count?? It only took one year and a half years to complete. We are 3 and half years into Wano and we still have another year to go! Like why can't you understand this basic criticism? Yes, One Piece has always had bad pacing HOWEVER the pacing has SIGNFICANTLY gotten worse.
No, we did not go through this lol.

I said CP9. CP9 as a whole is 120 chapters. Wano JUST beat this chapter length. Enies Lobby contains the same exact characters Water 7 does. They are effectively the same arc. Except CP-9 as a whole has less than a 3rd of the characters Wano has. Imagine spending that same amount of time on a 3rd of the characters. You might as well call this part of the arc "Onigashima Arc". It has same exact connotations as Enies Lobby did. The fighting location changed, new characters were introduced, etc.

And yes I fucking can compare the content. If you can sit here and shit on the current story for the picky ass reasons you do, I can throw the EXACT same reasons back at you why CP9 was complained about the EXACT same way as Wano. Nothing about that arc "fleshed" out the world outside of the WG and it's facilities. Wano has NOTHING to do with that.

You are mad because a character is given something to do and frankly that's some dumb shit. All stories are made up. You complain weekly about this stuff, so I question how much you actually hate it lol.

And clearly you don't know how to read because my paragraph about Thriller Bark had nothing to do with chapter count lol

Like, buddy, you really are going sit here and give this arc shit, when Enies Lobby was the arc where Oda had CP-9 carry keys to Robin's cuffs, introduced more villains nearly 70 chapters into CP-9, did not give Usopp a fight, had 30+ chapters of fodder battles, an Orochi level main villain, and more.

The fuck did this manga do to you lmao?

Last edited:
And the worst thing is that Oda will never have another chance to make an arc feels tense. Strawhats are top tier now. Why should i feel any tension now? WCI got it right in this regard, while Wano fails.
I think the Final War arc will feel pretty tense and perhaps also a surprising one involving an eventual Im battle. But I can get that Wano is no ordinary arc. 🤔

No, we did not go through this lol.
I said CP9. CP9 as a whole is 120 chapters. Wano JUST beat this chapter length..
Dude, wtf? Are you comparing a SAGA to an individual arc? The CP9 saga which was Ennies Lobby and Water 7 lasted 109 chapters! The Wano saga which is Punk Hazard, Zou, Dressrosa and Wano is over 300+ chapters! You aren't even arguing in good faith. Wtf?? So 300 is now more than 109??

And yes I fucking can compare the content. If you can sit here and shit on the current story for the picky ass reasons you do, I can throw the EXACT same reasons back at you why CP9 was complained about the EXACT same way as Wano. Nothing about that arc "fleshed" out the world outside of the WG and it's facilities. Wano has NOTHING to do with that.
Picky? So me complaining that a single arc is over 3 and half years long and over 120 chapters is now considered being "picky"? Okay lets compare the two arcs then since you are so determined. CP9 arc gave us the introduction to the world government, gave us Robin's flashback, Introduced us to the void century and how much the world government wants to keep that a secret, introduced us to Garp being Luffy grandfather and Dragon being his father, provided us an info dumb on the ancient weapon via a Franky flashback, Usopp crew drama. Also there was an actual emotional reason to be invested in that arc since it was a rescue Robin arc.

Now let's discuss Wano. What has wano given us in it's 120 chapters, the name of the island being "laugh tale". That is it! The Oden flashback of White beard and Gold Roger was just a regurgitation of events that we already knew since pre time skip. We already knew Rodger went to Skypeia, we already knew White Beard and Gold Roger discussed about the one piece, etc. The Wano arc is suppose to be the end game, we are suppose to be getting info dumps but Oda refuses to because he knows he has dedicated fanbase that will eat up anything he writes.