Current Events What Would it Take to Convince You That Kaido is Zoro's Main Fight This Arc?

Who is Zoro's Main Opponent

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
J

Jo_Ndule

:seriously:main fight yeah

Imagine thinking lufdy will start his main fight or finish his main fight before others even fight theirs or win

And no,
Zoro isn't gonna be at the finale vs Kaido in act 4.

Law, kidd and Luffy vs Kaido
Even on the roof...it will end up a battle of conquerors after Law, Killer and zoro are out. (Zoro will reopen the scar *solo or with killer*)

The problem is that Zoro will likely be outshined by Luffy if his main battle ends up being this teamfight against the emperors, even if he focuses on Kaido. Let's not forget Luffy is still the main character and does have a feud with Kaido too (he even promised Momo he would defeat him for him, plus how he wants to personally take on the emperors, how he's now set to fulfill Ace's will, etc.), so I personally don't see many odds that Zoro will share, let alone take, the spot of Luffy in a fight that has been hinted since Punk Hazard.

Now, the foreshadowing about Zoro "doing something" versus Kaido is obviously there. And the situation here is that Oda needs to fulfill it in some regard unless he wants Zoro's subplot in Wano to be remembered as the biggest misuse of a Chekhov's gun to ever be seen in a fiction work. When I defend the idea of Zoro fighting King I'm imagining some scenario like the ones you described, in which Zoro performs in a way that fulfills said foreshadowing but doesn't take Luffy's spot in the fight; for example, re-opening Kaido's scar (before going for King) as Kaido himself foreshadowed when commenting on the Scabbards's superficial slash, and/or even striking him with a last hit above Flower Capital just for the sake of symbolism (and in a similar way to Nami versus Absalom, as she gave him the "coup de grace" as he was next to defeat after facing Sanji). In the interim, something would happen that would lead him to King as his main versus. Notice the similarity with Kuma here, since Zoro still performed one of the most remembered moments of this series after everybody was defeated or unable to keep fighting. Imagine Luffy having won, but Kaido tries to wake up with his last breath and, as he's about to attack Luffy, Zoro gives his last effort (even letting Enma drain him for the sake of power in spite of the consequences) and puts Kaido down for good.

As you well said, there are some details that may point at Zoro versus King too, mainly the "second strongest subordinate" trope, the Zoro-Sanji relationship (quite similar to previous duos they've faced in important arcs), King's katana and the whole fire thing (and Zoro knowing how to cut fire, although I'd have rather for him to learn it during said versus). There's also something I've commented in other threads, which is that I simply don't trust Oda's capability to stick to one subplot and wouldn't surprise me he'd try to "put everything" he considered for Zoro, just like happened in other instances of this story. On the other hand, why would we prefer Zoro being a secondary player in the teamfight, outshined by Luffy and maybe even other captains (this I doubt it more), when he can still have a full individual battle with a very strong person and perform one or two big moments against Kaido?

Finally, I have two problems with the possibility of Zoro killing Kaido. First, Oda letting a Straw Hat explicitly kill a main enemy when he can't even let Kyros avenge his wife. Second, that Kaido actually wants to die and Oda explicitly stated that having your dream crushed is a worse fate than death, yet by killing Kaido you'd be fulfilling his dream —unless, of course, Oda follows this route of Kaido wanting to live again after finding a worthy rival only for him to be killed when he finally doesn't wish to die.

Anyways, we'll see what happens in a year from now (hopefully...).

It's one thing for Zoro to help Luffy against Kaido and hurt him with Enma, and it's another thing for Zoro to be the one to defeat him. Kaido is the first Yonko that Luffy seriously faces, do you really think Luffy will sit back and watch Zoro defeat Kaido?
If Zoro only fights Kaido this arc as most think, it will only be helping Luffy, but the victory won't be Zoro's alone. It would be unrealistic for Zoro to defeat a Yonko before facing Mihawk, as we would know that Zoro is far superior to him.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
@Cinera maybe the mistake you made was to think that they were honest to begin with :kayneshrug:
I tagged everyone that I knew didn't believe Kaido was Zoro's main fight. Some of the people I tagged are transparently disingenuous, but one of those "honest people" (the reason I made the thread in the first place) just replied:
The problem is that Zoro will likely be outshined by Luffy if his main battle ends up being this teamfight against the emperors, even if he focuses on Kaido. Let's not forget Luffy is still the main character and does have a feud with Kaido too (he even promised Momo he would defeat him for him, plus how he wants to personally take on the emperors, how he's now set to fulfill Ace's will, etc.), so I personally don't see many odds that Zoro will share, let alone take, the spot of Luffy in a fight that has been hinted since Punk Hazard.

Now, the foreshadowing about Zoro "doing something" versus Kaido is obviously there. And the situation here is that Oda needs to fulfill it in some regard unless he wants Zoro's subplot in Wano to be remembered as the biggest misuse of a Chekhov's gun to ever be seen in a fiction work. When I defend the idea of Zoro fighting King I'm imagining some scenario like the ones you described, in which Zoro performs in a way that fulfills said foreshadowing but doesn't take Luffy's spot in the fight; for example, re-opening Kaido's scar (before going for King) as Kaido himself foreshadowed when commenting on the Scabbards's superficial slash, and/or even striking him with a last hit above Flower Capital just for the sake of symbolism (and in a similar way to Nami versus Absalom, as she gave him the "coup de grace" as he was next to defeat after facing Sanji). In the interim, something would happen that would lead him to King as his main versus. Notice the similarity with Kuma here, since Zoro still performed one of the most remembered moments of this series after everybody was defeated or unable to keep fighting. Imagine Luffy having won, but Kaido tries to wake up with his last breath and, as he's about to attack Luffy, Zoro gives his last effort (even letting Enma drain him for the sake of power in spite of the consequences) and puts Kaido down for good.

As you well said, there are some details that may point at Zoro versus King too, mainly the "second strongest subordinate" trope, the Zoro-Sanji relationship (quite similar to previous duos they've faced in important arcs), King's katana and the whole fire thing (and Zoro knowing how to cut fire, although I'd have rather for him to learn it during said versus). There's also something I've commented in other threads, which is that I simply don't trust Oda's capability to stick to one subplot and wouldn't surprise me he'd try to "put everything" he considered for Zoro, just like happened in other instances of this story. On the other hand, why would we prefer Zoro being a secondary player in the teamfight, outshined by Luffy and maybe even other captains (this I doubt it more), when he can still have a full individual battle with a very strong person and perform one or two big moments against Kaido?

Finally, I have two problems with the possibility of Zoro killing Kaido. First, Oda letting a Straw Hat explicitly kill a main enemy when he can't even let Kyros avenge his wife. Second, that Kaido actually wants to die and Oda explicitly stated that having your dream crushed is a worse fate than death, yet by killing Kaido you'd be fulfilling his dream —unless, of course, Oda follows this route of Kaido wanting to live again after finding a worthy rival only for him to be killed when he finally doesn't wish to die.

Anyways, we'll see what happens in a year from now (hopefully...).

I tagged everyone that I knew didn't believe Kaido was Zoro's main fight. Some of the people I tagged are transparently disingenuous, but one of those "honest people" (the reason I made the thread in the first place) just replied:
Note, that at no point in his post @Charlotte Horchata called the Zoro fans :
-Insane
-Sword swallower
-Wankers
-Dick riders

At no point he tried to belittle the Zoro fans and disparaged their opinion.

At that is the difference between the really honest people and the others.

Sure, but no one is saying that Zoro will defeat Kaido solo.
I know you say Zoro won't defeat him alone and I wouldn't be surprised if Kaido was Zoro's main battle either. The only thing I would like is for Zoro to have a 1vs1 and win with difficulty. Since the timeskip, all the enemies Zoro has faced have been inferior to him (Monet, Pica, etc). I miss fights like the ones Zoro had with Mr 1 or Kaku, where Zoro had to do his best. Zoro deserves a battle like the one Luffy had against Katakuri, and I say this as a Zoro fan.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
Zoro deserves a battle like the one Luffy had against Katakuri, and I say this as a Zoro fan.
King is not strong enough to give current Zoro that fight. Not when Zoro can already easily cut through fire and has the offensive prowess to terrify two Yonkou.

If Zoro fights King, you wouldn't get the extreme diff 1 vs 1 where Zoro surpasses his limits that you're looking for.