General & Others When Did One Piece Fall Off For You?

When Did It Fall Off

• Was Never Good

Votes: 4 4.3%
  • After East Blue

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • After Alabasta

• After Skypeia

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • After Enies Lobby

• After Timeskip

Votes: 32 34.4%
  • After FMI

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • After Punk Hazard/Dressrosa

Votes: 8 8.6%
  • After Zou/WCI

Votes: 21 22.6%
  • After Wano?

Votes: 11 11.8%
  • Has Never Fallen Off

Votes: 24 25.8%

• Total voters
Story fell off when oda lost interest in writing the straw hats and has instead focused on side characters.

This was worst in wano. I’d say that was when my interest wavered the most was act 1 of wano.
For me it hasn't. I still like One Piece. The weakest arc for me was probably WCI
Post automatically merged:

Egghead regained my heart, My interest peaked in this arc, especially after last chapter.

KonyaruIchi

👑𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓟𝓲𝓻𝓪𝓽𝓮 𝓠𝓾𝓮𝓮𝓷👑
I don't think it ever truly fell off, I'm still fully in love with the manga but it definitely had a lot of low points. The timeskip kind of changed the vibe of the story for the worst in some aspects, which seems to be slowly coming back with the introduction of G5. Obviously Punk Hazard was a little bit mediocre and Wano had crazy pacing issues on top of unresolved plot threads, which was also disappointing. That being said I wouldn't say it ever truly "fell off" :kayneshrug:

Last edited:
I suppose it depends on when you caught up. Personally I caught up during Water 7. Ring Ling Dong or whatever it was called (Foxy) was horrible. Thriller Bark equally dross. Marineford, Sabaody and Impel Down was peak. Amazon Lily so and so, OK for transitional arc. Fishmen Island terrible.

I really enjoyed Skypiea and Alabasta as I read them in one fell swoop but I guess I might have viewed it differently if I read it weekly, characters like Mr4... Same with Little Garden, a rather dull transitional arc.

It's just that Oda wastes too much panel time on side characters like Tama running or Hiyori crying and finds himself in a hurry to end the arc which leads to rushing the fights and skipping panel time which makes SHs shine.

That and some illogical things like Separating the crew to go to WCI served zero purpose as Team Zoro did nothing in Wano till Luffy and others arrived.

Other than that One Piece quality did not fall too much

Each arc has its high and low points and then mediocre points. I think Oda’s average story telling started reaching a lower plateau after dressrosa. I find that most parts about most of the marines parts are lower quality than the other elements. Smoker, Tashigi, Garp, Sengoku, and Aokiji being exceptions. BM and Kaido’s subordinates were much less interesting than Doffy’s crew or earlier arcs’ lesser characters. Also, Wanonresulted in losing Carrot, Momo, and Yamato. :lusalty:

Dressrosa left a very nasty taste for me that I quit for 4 years. I nearly dropped the manga after reading that but I love one piece and thought it was ending in wano. The only thing that bought me back was chapter 1000. Kinda regret it, but if the quality doesn't pick up to at least thrilla bark level, i'm taking another long break
Dressrosa ws the peak of post ts

Honestly? People have a lot of hindsight bias. One Piece, at least "storyline" wise, has pretty much always been fairly consistent. And this includes both the good and the bad.

I swear, people were not around for Enies Lobby. I see people commenting here about how great of an arc it was all the time, and Im telling you that if you read it essentially weekly like me, youd hear mostly the same complaints as Wano:

- Too long (especially in conjunction with Water 7, its the 2nd longest arc in the series, nearly 120 chapters)

- Out of the ass powerups after everyone lost literal hours before.

- Absolutely zero deaths with tons of fakeouts.

- Usopp getting cucked out of a fight

...and so on. And i can also tell you that even aside from all of that, people didnt really bitch and moan the same way they do now, or at least they didnt on APForums. They gave their criticisms and either continued to enjoy the series or just dropped the manga.

Thriller Bark was even "worse" UNTIL the Oars fight started and then ended with Kuma. Marineford only got the praise it did because it showed actual stakes (i.e. death) and showcased a slew of upper characters and their powers (Whitebeard, Marco, Joz, Akainu, Sengoku, Blackbeard and his crew, etc) the likes of which the series had never seen before.
And thats also precicely the problem, people's expectations of this series have changed and grown, almost unfairly in some cases, to pretty high standards.

But imo, pacing truthfully has never changed. What HAS changed is the number of characters. That has has become a problem, even this arc, with essentially 9(!) other focal points aside from Luffy's 10 person crew. Egghead already has 19 (20 if Sentoumaru plays a role) protagonists lol. Thats not including Lucci, Kaku and the whole group Kizaru is bringing.

So yes, what ends up getting sacrificed are core strawhat moments, and imo, this started with Dressrosa, but only really became an issue with Wano. It continues to happen in Egghead. But what has happened is now Oda creates more characters to world build.

Do I think the quality of One Piece has dropped since Dressrosa then? It depends imo. If you value direct Strawhat interactions and moments, then yes it has.

For me, it really hasnt. I have enjoyed the SHF. I have enjoyed the Scabbards personally. I am enjoying the 7 Punks. I spent 10+ years with the crew talking to each other. Im fine with the series taking a more grandiose approach to its world building at this point.

As we near the end, its going to get more intimate. Many of the characters that are left are Pre-TS, and that number will start to tick back down as plotlines are resolved. It honestly has already started to with 2 Yonko assumedly gone.

Honestly? People have a lot of hindsight bias. One Piece, at least "storyline" wise, has pretty much always been fairly consistent. And this includes both the good and the bad.

I swear, people were not around for Enies Lobby. I see people commenting here about how great of an arc it was all the time, and Im telling you that if you read it essentially weekly like me, youd hear mostly the same complaints as Wano:

- Too long (especially in conjunction with Water 7, its the 2nd longest arc in the series, nearly 120 chapters)

- Out of the ass powerups after everyone lost literal hours before.

- Absolutely zero deaths with tons of fakeouts.

- Usopp getting cucked out of a fight

...and so on. And i can also tell you that even aside from all of that, people didnt really bitch and moan the same way they do now, or at least they didnt on APForums. They gave their criticisms and either continued to enjoy the series or just dropped the manga.
That's an interesting take, I never thought how the most beloved arc was perceived on a weekly read, and indeed One Piece is a lot better when you don't have to wait weeks between chapters, because you can skim through the less interesting parts and focus on what you like (which is different for everyone, like I generally give less attention to fights, but I like the world building and the adventure feel).

So most likely what brought OP to decline, are our expectations and hype we're creating in our own heads, because the story indeed had its ups and downs every arc, and maybe Egghead keeps me so interested because rn I don't expect too much of the story.

So there are several factors for the perceived decline: usual problems with pacing and too many characters, so SH don't get enough time, and switching to weekly reading kinda enhances the pacing problem, plus high expectations and headcacons become stronger when you read weekly. Like if you read about Carrot in Wano in one go, it's crystal clear she's not going to join. But if you read weekly and hope for her to join, then every week you think "ok next chapter she's going to get focus for sure", and when it doesn't happen, you feel more disappointed, because you spent months in vain hope (which would've been a week or two if you binge-read the arc and are less emotionally invested then).

Story fell off when oda lost interest in writing the straw hats and has instead focused on side characters.

This was worst in wano. I’d say that was when my interest wavered the most was act 1 of wano.
Completely agree, after all those chapters without Usopp, Franky, Robin I expected them to get some relevance but instead I kept seeing the scabbards and that pink ninja girl bitch about Oden

No Im not hopin anything
But oda said "marineford will be nothing compared to wano"
He also said "sabo will...vivi will... hancock will.."
And also he said "kaido not will be defeated just because luffy punch is so strong"
Oda make a hype but he not deliver it
Thats why a lot of us hate one piece
Oda is a fraud
Marineford being shorter than wano automatically becomes better fighting wise but i do believe that if someone can create a wano highlights arc will be better than everything.
Hancock was in trouble, Vivi is kidnapped and sabo was hurt and exploded along with an island.
Will any of the three die? I am almost certain that none will die. Does affect me as op reader? Certainly no because i know that in op people hardly die and i like that. If you don't op is not for you.
I find kaido's defeat as a combined effort result and not just Luffy's punch but even if we give credit only to Luffy, he literally became a God who can bend reality in order to beat kaido.
To clarify my self, i don't want to prove you wrong or change your mind, i am just answering your points as one piece enjoyer, if you find one piece that bad drop it man.
There is absolutely no reason for you to lose time of your life for something that is meant to used as a hobby.
Sorry for my English

If One Piece "Fell" for you but you are there in every spoiler discussion thread, posting like everyday on OP related thing here on W, then you're either trying to act cool by hating it for no reason or dont have anything good to do at life. I hated Boruto, never have seen even a video of something related to it after I left it for good. So its time to drop it and move on because talking shit about it and being involved with it every week is a very big L. You become a fallacy.

After the Timeskip. But the Yonko saga is the lowest point.
Middle of the Yonko Saga.

I feel like there was a steady decline from the middle of WCI to the end of Wano.
Things really started to go down starting from Whole Cake Island, but things went real south with Wano. This arc really killed a lot of my hopes and enthusiasm for One Piece.
When Frauda didn't have the balls to go through with the dragon dying over the Flower capital:parkcry:
I agree, I think Wano is the worst arc, but it follows the same formula as all the others that I also criticize today, like Luffy having infinite chances to defeat the villain.

Of the things that changed for the worse, I agree with Yasheen, Oda has been wasting more and more time with irrelevant people, making the story tiresome. Whole Cake was like that too and I left there thinking it couldn't get any worse, but it got worse in Wano.
Whole Cake Island was the beginning of the end for me. So much inconsistent nonsensical plot armour and writing I thought it couldn’t get any worse…then Wano happened and Oda managed to outclass himself
Sabaody part 2 was a short and very funny arc for me, overall a good starting arc which also hyped a bit Luffy and co. Good.

Fishman island was so so but still totally worth of being OP. Also it was logic they were still dealing with weak opponents so fights with no threat. Also good that the arc was neither too long nor too short.

Punk hazard was ok too, not gonna make another paragraph. Glad to see Tashigi and Smoker again, also cool that the location was Akainu and Aokiji battlefield.

Dressrosa was good, a bit long maybe but G4 was a good surprise. Also Doffy was a good villain. Maybe too much tontattas.

Zou was good.

WCI. Here. Here it started for real. The yonko BM who should have been a mortal danger become instead a clown who helped the SHs the most. The arc was pretty long and wedddding cake was obnoxious. Then I disliked a lot Luffy staying behind to fight Kata instead of escape with Sanji, Nami and the others. It is exactly because of this that Ace died but Luffy has the thickest plot power. Also, and this was another "delusion", there was chapter 900. Until that point for almost every hundreth chapter there was some kind of milestone, just to mention the most important the post time skip started with chapter 600. Well chapter 900 was the SHs escaping with their ship, half the crew and Sanji back to them and also the road poneglyph of BM plus Luffy defeated 2 of her commanders, BM regained her sense and started to sing, that was the moment were the yonko truly should have shown her power and repaid Luffy tenfold for all the plot power he get in the arc (also the infamous tametabakko, explosive from FI), chapter 899 ended with the sunny seemingly destroyed... Chapter 900 revealed that that actually was the ship of the sun pirates. Also maybe the first big case of fake tension.

Anyway for sure here in this arc it started to sink for good.

Then Wano, way too long, plot points not concluded, Luffy died several times vs Kaido... But instead he unlocked the Jesus fruit. So destiny and all the shitty takes I disliked in Naruto. So it died here for good.

oh lmao...

Yeah i skimmed most of the first half of this arc
You wouldn't miss much, tbh. Except for chapter 1073, Egghead is boring so far.

I tend to agree with this yeah. Part of me wonders if people will warm up to Wano like they did with Dressrosa.

Last edited:
Dressrosa ws the peak of post ts
I was so burnt out after that arc, I got a life. Only person I cared about for the whole thing was law and I wasn't curious about his future. Kinda the opposite I'm having with Wano. Hate nearly every single wano character but I'm more interested in their futures given the world's context. Dressrosa ending made me give no berri about anyone from there.