General & Others Which arc felt more dangerous? Whole Cake Island or Wano?

ZenZu

The only one who can beat me is me
I'm trying to think of some threat and danger we had in Wano so far but I can't think of any.
Act 1. Kaidou turning Luffy into a bloody pulp and blowing up the cliff where the SH's were, all in 2 chapters.

Act 2. Law's crew being held hostage by Hawkins leading to Law being imprisoned and tortured, after Yasu's death.

The prison scenes is where the clownery started happening and Act 3 continued that trend. Wano took a turn for the worse in terms of danger.

There’s the punching bag that’s known as Crydo:
And the ping pong ball known as Big Meme:

Such a dangerous duo indeed
Yeah suicidal kaido what’s new ? It’s not like zoro & killer did same stuff only for it last chapter to be proven that nothing damaged him lol

as for big mom that panel is legendary!!!, you know why ? Because no other character yet had to be nerfed by plot as big mom. She’s just that strong

anyways so far they didn’t get any damage but we need to see them do the damage and hopefully that will be soon enough with the raid failing...

In WCI we had half the SH crew. In Wano we have the entire crew, the scabbards half the supernovae (the strongest ones, no less) and Marco a div 1 commander. We have Jinbei playing a full on role too. Of course Wano is looking like a breeze, all the usual obstacles are nullified.

Now that the pirate section of the Wano Arc is over, I’ll give my opinion.

I touched on this during my Big Mom rewrite thread, but despite its many faults, the Whole Cake Island Arc felt leagues more dangerous than the Wano Arc. Especially before the wedding cake chase, the Big Mom Pirates truly felt like a pirate crew unlike any other in the series. Back then Totto Land felt like an impregnable kingdom, with the archipelago serving as natural protection for the headquarters, enemy-detecting sea slugs and scout ships, secret routes, and even soldiers made from Devil Fruit powers. Brulee’s speech touting that all the Supernovas failed to see Big Mom, the Seducing Woods, and the Enraged Army gave us a feel of the almighty, overwhelming nature of the Big Mom Pirates. There were even animals tamed to dispatch intruders.

At this time Oda balanced out Big Mom’s goofy moments with moments of genuine dread and competence. Planning the Vinsmoke assassination and influencing the Underworld did justice to her status as an Emperor. Combined with easily defeating Vinsmoke Judge and Brook, or easily blocking Kong Gun with a smile on her face, or her terrifying Hunger Pangs, or having Conqueror’s Haki that destroys rockets, made Big Mom feel like a genuine nightmare of the seas with a silly side. Her backstory was Oda’s writing at its best.

Cracker was a scary presence too, showcasing superiority over Doflamingo by easily piercing Gear Fourth and creating a limitless army of very durable biscuit soldiers.

There were plenty of holes though, such as Smoothie’s uselessness or Cracker botching his combat abilities, or Big Mom not killing Bege. But as a whole, the Big Mom Pirates were genuinely scary during early WCI. It helped that the crew possessed some of the most fascinating and versatile Devil Fruits ever, and were a present threat in most arcs since Fishman Island.

After the wedding cake chase started the Big Mom Pirates’ scary factor was shattered, hampered by rapid fire plot armor and conveniences. But there were good aspects such as the extremely versatile and powerful skillset of Katakuri, Big Mom’s homie fusion form, or Big Mom’s durability on full display. And we got a great look at the Big Mom Pirates’ true military power: thousands of ships and soldiers, and multiple fleets. IMO this was when the Big Mom Pirates were portrayed as a military superpower that could give Marine HQ + Warlords a run for their money.

I don’t know what Oda was doing when writing the Beasts Pirates. Jack was constantly taking Ls, Queen sabotaged his own prison, King was mediocre, and most of the Flying Six were defeated by the non-Haki user Straw Hats. Wano and Onigashima had no defenses or strong subordinates set-up, despite being the supposed land of the strong Samurai and an Emperor’s center of power.

The only Beasts Pirate who lived up to expectations was the captain. And even he had holes.

Last edited: