Powers & Abilities Why didn’t Oden have a black blade?

ConquistadoR

The Rogue Prince
Yes and it's totally reasonable for someone to fight the last and most important part in a form much much inferior, right? Panels are speaking, kaido couldn't use hybrid form back then.
First of all, remind me... what form did Kaidou use against Bajrung Gun, Snakeman & Boundman again?
It's clear he alternates between his forms depending on the needs and requirements of the moment, which was established in Drunken bagua.

Second of all, as i told you before - it's Oda's tendency to hold the main powers of the villain back until he actually fights Luffy.
It's counter productive to have the main villain show off all he has on panel before he even fights the main character in the all out battle that Oda wants to draw.
Read 1003 & 1008 - Oda made a big deal out of Kaidou's Hybrid form by silhouetting it in 1003 & revealing it at the end of 1008.

Showing All Out Kaidou fighting Oden on panel (in a fight which was drawn for 5 pages max in the manga) is simply not Oda's style, to begin with.
That doesn't change Oden's overall portrayal in the manga.

Here's your bubble to burst
You didn't burst nothing.

Read what Sengoku says again.
38 Years ago -> when Kaidou was one of Xebec's crew.
Rewind my memory, when did Kaidou fight Oden again?
38 Years ago during God Valley, at the end of which he got his fruit?
Or 20 Years ago, during the fall of Wano?

Bums like Kaku were using Hybrid within minutes of eating his fruit... are you seriously gonna say someone like Kaidou didn't unlock Hybrid over 18 Years of having it?

Never doubted that. I didn't say he was fodder but for sure no comparison to his current prime form.
Minor difference, if at all any.

Kaidou & Oden DEFINITELY weren't comparable to your run of the mill garbage like Smoothie & Queen when they fought lol.

It's not me thinking it. It's oda who literally used oden as hypetool for adv CoC
You are right, Oden didn't have CoC coating at that time.
He did grew over time as part of Roger's crew.

Or are you suggesting a CoC using Master Swordsman with Legendary hype, coming from the land of Wano where the ability to flow Haki is almost common place... cannot use CoC Coating at all?

WB literally chose him to be YC2. If you're telling me he gave Marco the 1st division because he's been longer on board, why ditch Jozu or Vista then?
Oden was a WB pirate member when they established divisions. He got assigned for 2nd division. Thus, he's YC2. Simple as that.
Who told you that WBP Divisions were ranked based on strength? SBS canonically states otherwise.

Marco & the rest were Whitebeard's "Sons".
Oden was Whitebeard's "Brother".
That tells you all you need to know.

Realize who else got the 2nd Division Seat?
Ace, a CoC User, a dude with Pirate King potential had he lived.

That's the standard of Oden. Not some gimmick using trash Commander.

Whitebeard's Pirate's Division numbers aren't a power ranking. Izou was the 16th Commander, yet she wasn't she YC16.
You got a point. I'll be taking my statement back

Any zoan user can use hybrid form. Eating a zoan instantly gives you access to human - hybrid - zoan forms. The only apparent exception to this so far is the Nika fruit and it wouldn't be fair to create a norm out of a rare exception that's riddled with many other oddities. So Kaido definitely had access to hybrid form when he faced Oden.
Any regular zoan user. We're talking about mythical zoans here, which includes Nika fruit. There's no oddities. Momo could have used a stronger and faster hybrid form against aramaki. But no he couldn't. Kaido could have used a stronger and faster hybrid form against oden. But no he couldn't either.

Oden didn't have aCoC when he met Roger and that was his first time witnessing it, but he fought Kaido a long time (more than a year) after that. I believe it's clear he learnt aCoC inbetween.
Yes, and it was perfectly recognizable from the lightning that came out of his swords, right? Except, it did not.
This is adv. CoC

This is CoA

S

Sasaki Kojirō

Aren't Oden's subordinates concrete proof that he is very strong?

• Inuarashi
  • Neko
  • Ashura
  • Denjiro
  • Kawamatsu
  • Kinemon
  • Kiku
  • Izou
  • Raizou.
The retainers who traveled to the future are weaker than those who didn't, however, Kiku, who traveled to the future, had her strength recognized by Luffy twice.

If Oden were alive, he would have all these guys serving him... And people tell me he's a YC2? Lol

According to Jack, even though the Red Scabbards were half-dead after the battle against Kaido, they still had the full capability to defeat Kaido's (F6). Jack stated that the F6 wouldn't be able to defeat them, even in their weakened state.

The most likely answer is because the black blade does not matter that much to a swordsman. It's more likely a symbol of status and the effects must be similar to a swordsman using coating during the battle.
People don't even know what a black blade actually do. For all effects, calling it a layer of paint is just as good as theory as anything.
You're wrong. Creating a black blade isn't just for looks.

Oden's father told us forging a black blade raises the rank or level of the blade.

Mihawk told Zoro if he would have infused his swords with haki they wouldn't have broken. Then he said any weapon can become a black blade like his weapon.

Mihawk wasn't just talking about temporary adding blackened haki to a blade. We know that may not stop a blade for being broken. Zoro vs King is a perfect example of that. Zoro broke King's sword that was coated in blackened haki. Instead, Mihawk was talking my creating a black blade. That's why he said any sword can become a black blade like his. We can see from that scene forging a sword into a black blade makes it stronger.

Pay attention to what I actually wrote. Some people act as if a Black Blade is basically a WMD that gives a overwhelming advantage to a swordsman. Increasing the resilience of a blade does not matter that much if you are a hakiman that can coat your sword with CoA and protect it, specially since we saw a top tier swordsman being perfect capable of blocking and fighting against a black blade.
I will not repeat myself because it's a waste of time. I'm just stating a way that a BB can increase the resilience of a blade in a way that actually helps in a fight and does not contradict what was previously show.
I feel like some are underestimating the advantages to creating and possessing a black blade. If it doesn't give the user an a huge advantage then there's really no point to Oda introducing black blades in One Piece. We already know top tier fighters can add powerful CoA haki to the blades to make them incredibly durable and hard to break. A black blade has to give the user a greater advantage than that.

Based on everything we know about black blades, weapons, haki and power, I believe black blades gives users the potential to have the greatest offensive and defensive power. But there's a catch, that is only possible for characters who can create a black blade, not just possess one.

I have already explained forging a black blade stops the user's weapon from being broken. That means no one can take away their main fighting style by breaking their weapon. While the possibility exist for a black blade user to break their opponent's weapon.

Add the powerful haki needed to create a black blade and they possess the strongest defensive power in the entire manga. IE: Imagine creating a barrier haki similar to the one Zoro used to block hakai, but one that can't be broken. If a black blade can't be broken because of the haki used to create it. Then no one should be able to break the haki either.

Now let's look at how black blades can be used to increase the user offensive power.

The Road to Laugh Town databook stated Kaido and WB's weapons can withstand the power or haki they channel through their weapons thanks to the weapons hardness and durability.

If black blades can't be broken thanks to its hardness and durability then the blade should be able to handle an unlimited amount of power or haki. Of course, nobody in One Piece possesses an unlimited amount of power. Regardless, it still gives the user the potential to create the strongest attacks in the manga since they don't have to worry about limiting the amount of power or haki they channel through their blade.

What do you mean we saw a top tier swordsman clash against a black blade? Vista is not top tier. Regardless, we haven't seen Mihawk fight a full strength.

Last edited:
Oden was strong but didn't realize his full potential before death, also Oda as if bow has inly Mihawk and Ryuma as black blade makers and wielders. That probably means they are the strongest swordsman of OP history and if Oda added an immature Oden too that would have dehyped Mihawk and Ryuma quite a bit. Wano/Japan has Ryuma as their legendary swordsman and that is it.

Oden was strong but didn't realize his full potential before death, also Oda as if bow has inly Mihawk and Ryuma as black blade makers and wielders. That probably means they are the strongest swordsman of OP history and if Oda added an immature Oden too that would have dehyped Mihawk and Ryuma quite a bit. Wano/Japan has Ryuma as their legendary swordsman and that is it.
Oden never cares about black blade

He had bigger goals & dreams