Character Discussion Why do people downplay Blackbeard?

Dragon > Akainu > Mihawk and Shanks

Mihawk and Shanks for me are interchangeable. Wouldn't waste a minute debating who is superior. They're that close.
Fair enough I guess
Post automatically merged:

I feel like BlackBeard and his crew simply don't feel as menacing as Kaido and the beast pirates.Hell,even Big Meme looked menacing in WCI.
Blackbeard's crew >> Kaido and Big Mom's crew.
Aokiji and Shiryu alone are more than enough for all beast Pirates or all Big Mom Pirates.
The only issue is Kaido individually >> Blackbeard

MUUGEN

呪のろいの王
cause Luffy speed blitzed him pre-ts that’s about it.

the only other excuse you hear is him not wanting to fight Akainu with his newly formed crew nor Shanks which he openly admitted “we’re” not ready for you yet that was more of a statement for crew vs crew Teachs crew would’ve been rocked rightfully so, and then the latest not fighting Rayleigh.

but I don’t see how someone on his caliber with solid Observation to gauge others actually understood regardless if he wins his crew would be heavily damaged or outright nonexistent after clashes with either one of the 3.

MF - Teach just barely reached phase 2 of his plan I guess lol Yami->Shichibukai to infiltrate ID & gain new crew members->gain Gura->whatever was next

I think he already solidified himself when he killed Thatch a YC for WB then went onto beating Ace with what mid/high diffs then bodied Marco and the remnants plus he was able to take over Hachinosu with help from Koby given Koby is relatively still weak I say it was more of numbers suppressing and Teach beat Wang in a 1on1 or else he wouldn’t actually be king there.

his crew was never strong to begin with outside of maybe Lafitte and Augor - he just gathered a group that was imprisoned so they are rusty unable to actually fight on par with an actual Yonko Crew and one who’s crew are all experts in Haki that was a solid call not wanting to actually fight there, for shanks concerns against him he let him walk so that also goes to show Teachs own caliber that Shanks didn’t pursue him. Akainu just became a FA edging out Aokiji another Admiral at best his second strongest at the time was Shiryuu who was I’d say YC2/3 levels then Akainu would’ve lost to Teach but his crew would’ve been gone in that exchange and Rayleigh he was was fine with losing some members and taking Hancock DF but you can’t underestimate the dark king as he has witnessed his prowess since he was a a kid and that just goes to show the level that Rayleigh was on compared to others as unlike WB he was still fresh and can use Haki at will. Wasn’t a good match up at that moment as he would’ve potentially had to 3v1 Koby, Hancock and Rayleig.

people just bitch and nitpick at anything that Luffy “wouldn’t do” even though we’ve seen Luffy choose to do things and get absolutely neg diff decimated where he almost lost his entire crews lives on several occasions.

it’s called being smart and knowing your strengths and weaknesses not stupidly charging head into every fight with brute force.

Dragon > Akainu > Mihawk and Shanks

Mihawk and Shanks for me are interchangeable. Wouldn't waste a minute debating who is superior. They're that close.
I think all 4 plus Kuzan you mentioned are about even strength. If I were to rank them it’d be

1. Mihawk
2. Shanks
3. Sakazuki
4. Kuzan
5. Dragon (for now)

Oda could have done a better job with his crewmates from impel down

Vasco shot is ok and so is avalro, shiryuu is boring af. Catarina is pretty boring as well. Also Oda has a habit of dehyping opponents meant for the weaker crewmates. Blackbeard and his first appearance and build up is perfect. Though he was ruined ino when he begged WB for his life. That one moment tainted his character for me. Say what you will about Moria when he's faced with death he stares at it like a true pirate. Kurohige is still good just nit a dream villian like he could have been.

Also Aokiji being on the crew as a double agent or evenba legitimate member is just.. whatever.

I feel like BlackBeard and his crew simply don't feel as menacing as Kaido and the beast pirates.Hell,even Big Meme looked menacing in WCI.
Imo Oda clearly favors some members of the BB pirate (no particular order):
1. Van Augur - Looked cool in Blackbeard vs Law fight
2. Shiryu - Got some solid credit from stabbing through Garp
3. Lafitte - The only BB Pirate never to have a bad showing
4. Pizarro - Took a combined effort of Garp Coby and Grus just to stop Pizarro from destroying the ship

These are also the four Blackbeard pirates that were with BB when Luffy became the fifth emperor too so these are probably going to be main villains

Reborn

Throughout Heaven & Earth,I alone am d Honored One
There are 3 reasons for Blackbeard downplay

1) Erkan - guy coz of his agenda was able to drive many Z bois against BB just to get under Erkan nerves despite liking BB

2) Power level - Many people don't care about personality characterisation. To them, it's all about power levels and feats.

If you show some godly feats, they will become fan of yours. I mean just look at Kaido fan base - many simply like him coz of his strength and feats. 🤷

It's like they deliberately wanks strong characters with feats...

And, to add, people don't feel much tension with Blackbeard.

This is kind of absurd. I mean Luffy is a yonkou now. He is at top level. How on earth you feel tension when you are almost at your peak? Not to mention, Blackbeard hasn't even got his arc and proper hype yet.

He is still doing what he was doing since Jaya arc.... growing himself

3) Blackbeard portrayal - His portrayal come across as coward. He has been portrayed as a villain - defeated Ace, Law (favourite characters of many) thus hated by many and most importantly, he isn't your typical villain which we have seen so far. Even his looks works against him as he doesn't look badass like kaido or cool like doffy or croc...

But I think he is the best fleshed out character bar SHs in one piece.

He has been portrayed as not some massive monster but there is touch of different sorts of personality traits we humans have.

You gotta see the depth Blackbeard has as a character to like him - coward, cunning, jealousy, determination, zeal, patience, sadness, opportunistic, strength, authoritative and so on....

He and luffy are two sides of same coin.

Where luffy ends up growing as nice kid, BB circumstances drove him to become an evil villain.

I dislike him. I feel he's poorly written, in that the plot dictates that he gets pretty much whatever he wants. Also, I dislike that a cowardly villain is most likely going to be the final antagonist.

1) Erkan - guy coz of his agenda was able to drive many Z bois against BB just to get under Erkan nerves despite liking BB

2) Power level - Many people don't care about personality characterisation. To them, it's all about power levels and feats.

If you show some godly feats, they will become fan of yours. I mean just look at Kaido fan base - many simply like him coz of his strength and feats. 🤷

This is kind of absurd. I mean Luffy is a yonkou now. He is at top level. How on earth you feel tension when you are almost at your peak? Not to mention, Blackbeard hasn't even got his arc and proper hype yet.

3) Blackbeard portrayal - His portrayal come across as coward. He has been portrayed as a villain - defeated Ace, Law (favourite characters of many) thus hated by many and most importantly, he isn't your typical villain which we have seen so far. Even his looks works against him as he doesn't look badass like kaido or cool like doffy or croc...

He has been portrayed as not some massive monster but there is touch of different sorts of personality traits we humans have.

You gotta see the depth Blackbeard has as a character to like him - coward, cunning, jealousy, determination, zeal, patience, sadness, opportunistic, strength, authoritative and so on....

Where luffy ends up growing as nice kid, BB circumstances drove him to become an evil villain.
BB needs to acquire an ancient weapon to really shake things up.

I like Kaidou for his personality, design, etc. personally.
His power is one of the reasons of course but still.
So there's certainly fans of him that like him for more than his power level.
@MonsterKaido is like that too I think.

Because Threat level = 0.

People can try to gas BB as much as they want, find as much excuses as they want, saying that he is a “true” pirate, but the truth is that Oda did a very poor job with him and his crew.

They are an uninteresting group of vilains with shit design, shit personality and shit power.

BB can be the strongest character in the verse the way Oda is characterizing him will always lead to downplay.
/Thread

I firmly believe he'll be one of the strongest ever and likely be penultimate villain to Luffy (and his last pirate foe).

But Loda flopped on this dude hard

I personally think Blackbeard is a great character from a written and powerscaling perspective. He laid out a plan and executed it step by step.

He wanted a fruit and killed his crew mate for it. Once he got it he started his own crew and defeated Ace who was able to defeat Warlords. He scarred Shanks with no fruit while Shanks was on guard.

Then he used Ace to become a warlord, killed WB and took his fruit, defeated the remnants of the WB pirates in a war and became a Yonko. He’s the only pirate with two crazy fruits one nullifies all Devil fruit abilities while the other one has the power to destroy the world.

But he gets disrespected as if he’s not going to be top 3 all time with Luffy Imu and Roger.

He got clowned by characters like Magellan but that doesn’t matter because his Ws outweigh that. So what is it that people don’t like about BB? I think he’s a great villan.
It’s because of how he’s written. We’re supposed to dislike Blackbeard so that his defeat is all the more satisfying. He’s a character written to be opportunistic, somewhat cowardly and dishonorable. Many readers like those aspects of him as a villain but most readers will naturally root for his downfall because again, he’s written to be unlikable.

Mihawk fans are insecure so they downplay him, Blackbeard already made one of their idols look like shit (Rayleigh) so they're afraid he'll do the same to Mihawk.