Powers & Abilities Why do people have trouble calling characters swordsman ?

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
Mihawk's title (and other people's ones) just doesn't make any sense, unless it means he was the one who defeated in a duel the previous WSS who was himself the one who defeated in a 1 vs 1 the WSS before him and so on. And in this case defining Big Mom or Kizaru as swordsman wouldn't mean Mihawk is stronger than them. Accept the uselessness of his (and Zoro's in the future) title and move on :cheers:
File a ticket to Oda and tell him you disagree with his opinion. :milaugh:

File a ticket to Oda and tell him you disagree with his opinion. :milaugh:
WB has nothing to do with Hawkeye since he isnt a swordsman, manga made that clear even for dummies.
BM, even with greater physical strength, cant beat Mihawk but who says she is physically stronger than him in the first place?
The title is, after all, world's STRONGEST swordsman, not skillest or whatever is used in two-piece. :myman:
It's not that we disagree with Oda's word though. What we disagree about is the definition and borders of what WSS is. What is "in actuality"? If actual means reality, real physics and real concept of swordsman, then

I for one, don't find a problem with BM or even Roger classified as a swordsman.

I find the problem in defining the WSS. Imo defining:

A. One swordsman (Roger) who is unbeatable even by WB or Garp in a fight, wouldn't necessarily be the same as defining

B. the WSS.

This is partly because:

1. there is no mention of Roger as WSS, even if in the verse Roger is like number 1 in powerlevel.

2. the logic comparison between OP world and real world.

2a. In real world, anyone who is able to use a sword in combat can be called a swordsman. Mastering other skills (for example, shooting with a gun) doesn't stop that person from being a swordsman. The logic in OP is just like this, that's why i have no problem with it.

2b. But here comes the WSS title. In the real world, what is WSS? Is it a person who can use a sword and unbeatable in any fight? No. Since a weaker swordsman, can beat the WSS, if he is more skilled or stronger than that WSS in other powers. For example, the weaker swordsman can beat the WSS by shooting the WSS with a gun. It does not make the shooter into the WSS. It just makes the shooter, the victory of the fight. This is real life logic, so i assume unless it was contradicted by Oda, the logic of WSS in OP should follow real life logic of WSS.

Poiny 2b doesn't make the WSS title meaningless. This just places that title in the proper place instead of "WSS = can beat anyone" kind of wishful thinking.

---

I hope this can provide some new perspective of being a swordsman and WSS

Exactly. Fan-made definitions and borders which Oda never mentioned. Fights with a sword = swordsman, doesnt get simpler than that.
The only reason people are overthinking that entire thing and coming up with personal definitions is because it belongs to Mihawk/Zoro.
My comments that you quoted was not disagreeing with what a swordsman is, it's what a WSS is. If Oda is a regular person, his logic about WSS should be the same to real life, unless he mentioned about a different set of fictional logic about what it means about being WSS.
Post automatically merged:

Btw i search and found out something:

As nouns the difference between sword and blade
is that sword is (weaponry) a long-bladed weapon having a handle and sometimes a hilt and designed to stab, cut or slash while blade is the sharp cutting edge of a knife, chisel, or other tool, a razor blade.

--

So the blade is just the piece of sharp metal. If there is handle to it, it can be classified as sword. So by that definition, naginata is a long-handled sword. While katana is somewhat of a short-handled sword.

--

That, imo, further solidified that the problem and conflict lies not in what a swordsman is but what the WSS means and defined.

Last edited:
Well the problem with classifying Sword users as Swordsmen is to find a working definition that can be applied to various characters in the story

Kaku is a 4 sword-style user because of his legs Are people willing to considered legs as swords?

What about Kizaru’s light sword Aokiji’s ice saber and Crocodiles desert spada? Should they be classified as swordsmen as well?

In Dressrosa Luffy is called a swordsman in his intro box how should we interpret this?

Big Mom has shown enough skill with a sword to perform 2 techniques - Mama Mash and Ikoku Sovereignty
If you define swordsman as being able to create sword abilities and not just swinging your sword wildly (Arlong v Luffy ) Then is Big Mom a swordswoman?

From chapter 912. There's a naginata that looks like WB's in the panel too. Are spears swords?
Great search Cyrus

Meito aren't only swords, manga canon!

So WB is everything but a swordsman

"Among the countless weapons"

Countless weapons=swords, spears, etc. (that "etc." Can be literally everything, naginata, kukri, even small pocket knives)

Actually there were many misconceptions about swords and swordsmen in One Piece community, all of them are slowly being proven wrong:
-WSS is only about skills
-Swordsmanship doesn't include haki
-Wb has a Meito so he is a swordsman and since that Wb is stronger than Mihawk then also Shanks could be

Man, people yet don't realize, but that Oden guy is a literally hype fuel for those the fandom called "pure swordsmen" like Mihawk (btw, that category doesn't exist in manga, it's only anti-swordsman fan's propaganda only).

But let's assume that such a distinction actually exists.
Oden proved you that also a "pure swordsman" can be as strong as hell.
Oden clashed with WB, is the only one to have scarred Kaido etc.

I swear, I remember a user tried to push that Oden isn't a pure swordsman propaganda in order to downplay Mihawk, he was blatantly proven wrong in just few chapters.
Once he was proven wrong he rapidly switched from "Oden isn't a pure swordsman" to "Oden's feat doesn't transfer automatically to Mihawk".
I mean, why?
Oden is just a stepping stone to Zoro, it's implied in Wano, while Mihawk is the ultimate goal.

I want to leave a small suggestion to end this message: when it comes to Zoro don't try to interpret everything related to him in a restrictive way.
That ain't what Oda wants (Don't speak ill of Zoro).

https://www.google.com/amp/s/samuraiswords.store/naginata/amp/

Naginata – Japanese Polearm Weapon
Naginata falls under the classification of aJapanese sword.

---

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bisento

A bisentō (眉尖刀, brow blade)[1] was a pole weapon used in feudal Japan. The bisentō has various descriptions, "a double-edged long sword with a thick truncated blade",[2] "a spear-like weapon with a blade at the end that resembles a scimitar",[3] "a polearm resembling a glaive, with a long, heavy haft and a heavy, curved blade".

--

Sticking to the terminology, WB should be the WSS and/ (because he is) the WSM. Trying to be fair, i mentioned the description about bisento being glaive and spear-like weapon with blade. So to call bisento a blade is still incorrect.

So WSS apparently isn't necessarily strictly about sword (the object) or the person's pure strength in overall combat, since WB should be the WSS if that's the case.

--

I for one consider WB as a spearman or bladesman, so not overlapping eith the WSS title. But i view many fans here base their WSS definition to fulfill the wishful thinking in order for Mihawk or Zoro to be stronger than they should, like "Mihawk or Zoro is the strongest ever and anything else is unacceptable".