Powers & Abilities Why people overrate the shit out of Luffy's powerups

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
Imo, Luffy's movement or reaction speed is not top level yet. At 1001, Raimei Hakkei still grazed him even when he owns FS. I guess his speed wont improve that drastically with CoC training, its prolly his CoO-FS and reaction which displayed some "speed" improvement. I hope this can improve with new rubber technique in the future since haki doesnt provide it.
He did show some very compelling combat speed because he is not looking inferior to Kaido that wise for now, the issue though this only applies when ACoC is on which seemingly boosts it, I would say he is even consistently faster than his base in Snakeman but once again it's all time limited, idem his AP. He even almost dodged a Thunder Bagua once.

If he worked on these time limitations he could become much more potent. But until he doesn't the yonko will vastly supersede him in the long run most likely.

Though I'm curious to find out whether or not he developed awakening at long last.

Lol exactly how?
Luffy hasn't even shown Flying Dragon Blaze level AP let alone Ashura.
As a matter of fact Luffy has yet to show Tatsumaki level attack.

And when has Luffy shown ability to completely blitz Kaido point blank like Zoro has?
Luffy blitz both yonko while he is right in their fucking face. Luffy has landed far more attacks on Kaido, what did dragon blaze do? Get dodge? Or wasn’t able to land it himself ? Ashura is Zoro’s strongest move… did Luffy use KKG? That’s if not Luffy has stronger moves! What did tatsumaki do that other G4 and even G3 attacks didn’t do? Kaido has shown helpless against against bound man the only thing he can do is take hits. Kaido couldn’t keep up with G3 red roc and got blitz by that. Don’t try give me this BS of fucking slow ass Zoro’s speed that can’t match even Sanji.

Luffy blitz both yonko while he is right in their fucking face. Luffy has landed far more attacks on Kaido, what did dragon blaze do? Get dodge? Or wasn’t able to land it himself ? Ashura is Zoro’s strongest move… did Luffy use KKG? That’s if not Luffy has stronger moves! What did tatsumaki do that other G4 and even G3 attacks didn’t do? Kaido has shown helpless against against bound man the only thing he can do is take hits. Kaido couldn’t keep up with G3 red roc and got blitz by that. Don’t try give me this BS of fucking slow ass Zoro’s speed that can’t match even Sanji.
Most of the people in this forum has no idea what even speedblitz or AP means. According to them, more the flashy move or cool looking is more the AP.

Yeah
Like luffy now with how far all his haki has progressed is definitely way stronger but people act like luffy went from complete fodder to jumping 20 tiers after each pu

Its even more weird when it comes to advanced armament and luffy learning how to effectively hurt kaido. Like people act like being able to do any damage puts you on a completely different level from those who cant. Which we know isn't true
Out of the alliance pre udon training the scabbards and law were really the only ones really capable of doing any damage but they obviously weren't stronger than everyone else because of it.

I feel alot of it has to do with people underestimating how strong luffy actual was outside of the timeskip

He did show some very compelling combat speed because he is not looking inferior to Kaido that wise for now, the issue though this only applies when ACoC is on which seemingly boosts it, I would say he is even consistently faster than his base in Snakeman but once again it's all time limited, idem his AP. He even almost dodged a Thunder Bagua once.

If he worked on these time limitations he could become much more potent. But until he doesn't the yonko will vastly supersede him in the long run most likely.

Though I'm curious to find out whether or not he developed awakening at long last.
In chap 1000 he so easily dodged Kaidou's sneak attack from behind and already jumped so far tho, a similar attack to which Oden couldnt react. So i wont say that his speed is only boosted by CoC but rather that his speed is not consistent to fulfill plot needs. If Oda needs Luffy to look cool in chap 1000 celebration, its fine when Luffy passed 2 Yonkous with them too late to react, and even jumped casually as a respond to Kaidou's sneak attack. But after that in 1001 Luffy said that Kaidou's attack is too fast even while Luffy used FS.

Imo we cant get a clear depiction which is the baseline, whether Luffy is always that fast or combat-intelligent but the plot always restrict him until he figured out CoC (my take, just like how Luffy couldnt use G4 against Hody) or whether he's actually always that slow and Oda want to hype him for important chapters only, resulting in asspull depiction (why is he suddenly so fast so strong etc).

Seeing Oda's style, there'd be no detailed or precise answer as nowadays Oda really emphasizes hyping everyone up without clear distinction. Its different from pre-timeskip where the powerlevels between fighters are imo more clear-cut. Its a major factor that causes me to not being as invested anymore in powerscaling discussion (meh Oda just makes these badass fight and finishing move scenes since he wanna hype everyone up)

Luffys AP is no where near Zoros
Nor his endurance
Durability
Combat Speed
Lethality
he's clashing on par with hybrid kaido in base and splitting the sky in the process

Zoro needed asura to do something even resembling that. Luffy hasn't even gone all out yet, but given that its a 1v1, you can bet that he's probably going to be fighting on par with awakened kaido, a form that zoro will never see.

The last 2 major villain arcs Luffy has fought (Katakuri and Kaido), he needed to unlock the battle with a "key". For Katakuri the "key" was Future Sight.

Luffy in base seemed useless against Katakuri.

But as soon as he unlocked FS he became somewhat competitive.

Same deal with Kaido. It seemed he wasn't doing much

But with advanced CoC the "key", he became competitive in base

But these differences are exaggerated by the fact because Luffy without the "key" seems useless. But that's an opponent-specific thing.

You take someone like Law. He didn't get any Future Sight, advanced CoA, or advanced CoC. But with the way his powers work, he could have harmed Kaido or Big Mom much better than Luffy.

Kaido even states that Law's powers throw him off. But was Law > pre-CoC Luffy? NO. But Law already had a "key". Luffy was always physically strong, but unlike Law he wasn't very versatile. So some opponents make him look useless based on their own powers.

Luffy gaining Future Sight made him look like he jumped 10x in power. Same thing for him gaining aCoC for Kaido. But these just look this way because he seemed useless before due to him lacking that "key", that even a weaker person, like Law might have. He wouldn't look that useless, against say an Admiral, who didn't have insane skin.
I get where you are coming from, like DR Boundman was already potentially able to beat the living shit out of everyone not named Kaido and he would have looked arguably "superior" against a guy like "on panel" Fuji for example, than he did against Katakuri (who he lacked the "key" for), even without learning FS.
While this might be true to some extent, it's nonetheless a very simplistic view on that matter and highly match up dependent.
Basically:
Just because those PU's convenientely were built in into the story as requirements for defeating certain opponents, it does not mean they will only help him against those or that other guys won't require those certain abilities to be surpassed.
And even if those PUs might look more impressive than they actually are within certain context, it does not change the fact, that those Power ups made still him plenty more powerful overall and are exactly that- powerful Power ups, even if they got humbled within the Kaido fight.

After Udon he arguably was peerless within the high tier faction. None of them could have made him hit a wall or expose him like he got exposed before, while he had everything he needed to beat anyone out of that tier.
FS and internal destro Luffy was a completely different animal in comparison to his DR self already.
AdvCoC we do not even need to talk about. AdvCoC base Luffy is arguably superior than his own beforehand all out version. Just ridiculous.