Who is the first mate

• Total voters
1. He is referred to as first mate by other pirates
Soecifically our ogre and bartolemeo; Ghis indicates that the general world population views zoro as luffy’s right hand and first mate.

2. Trust by luffy
In alabasta he given the role to take care of Vivi; do take note that Sanji was also there
In skypiea luffy tells Sanji not to worry about the others because zoro is with them. Also in skypiea zoro is dumbfound that Zoro lost to enel showing his trust in his power.
3. Taking charge of the crew and teaching luffy what a captain is.

4. Thought of as the leader of the crew

5.Parallels with Rayleigh
Finally his obvious parallels with rayleigh who is undoubtly the right hand of the pirate king

These were just off the top of my head you can add more.
@HA001 @Seth @Marimo_420 @ShishioIsBack
and who could forget about this

Last edited:

Seth

𝐊𝐨𝐤𝐮𝐭𝐨 𝐒𝐡𝐮𝐬𝐮𝐢
1. He is referred to as first mate by other pirates
Soecifically our ogre and bartolemeo; Ghis indicates that the general world population views zoro as luffy’s right hand and first mate.

2. Trust by luffy
In alabasta he given the role to take care of Vivi; do take note that Sanji was also there
In skypiea luffy tells Sanji not to worry about the others because zoro is with them. Also in skypiea zoro is dumbfound that Zoro lost to enel showing his trust in his power.
3. Taking charge of the crew and teaching luffy what a captain is.

4. Thought of as the leader of the crew

5.Parallels with Rayleigh
Finally his obvious parallels with rayleigh who is undoubtly the right hand of the pirate king

These were just off the top of my head you can add more.
@HA001 @Seth @Marimo_420 @ShishioIsBack
This shouldn't even be a conversation in the first place but I get where you are coming from and why this thread came to life.

Sanji leading marine and then samurai fodders won't change the fact.

Zoro is the Right Hand Man of Luffy and also a Vice-Captain of the Straw Hat Pirates.

There is ample evidence that Zoro is the #2/second in command. If it weren’t already obvious due to his role as the first crewmate, the only one Luffy specifically set out to recruit.

1. Both Luffy and Zoro set out to sea in search of a top tier, namely Shanks and Mihawk.

2. Zoro and Luffy were the only crewmates to directly defy the Celestial Dragons at Sabaody.

3. Zoro took charge of the hostage negotiations with Neptune and defeated the main antagonist of the arc (Pre-drug Hody) in one-on-one combat.

4. Luffy and Zoro have had the most significant interactions with O-Tama, Toko and Hiyori, the arc princess and MacGuffins.

5. Luffy and Zoro have had the most significant clashes with the rival supernovas, representing the strength of the Straw Hat crew.

Listing Zoro as anything other than Luffy’s right hand and the secondary crew leader is pure delusion.

Wow amazing thread. Ive never seen something like this before. Incredible
maxaad noogu sheegi weyday sababta uu Sanji u yahay kabtan ku xigeenka
Post automatically merged:

This shouldn't even be a conversation in the first place but I get where you are coming from and why this thread came to life.

Sanji leading marine and then samurai fodders won't change the fact.

Zoro is the Right Hand Man of Luffy and also a Vice-Captain of the Straw Hat Pirates.
Before I interacted with the community I’d never heard any think of Sanji as less than the second in command and stronger than Sanji just like how before I interacted with Naruto community I’d never heard any say sasuke > Naruto. But I guess when thing is popular enough surely at least some idiots will enjoy It.

Last edited:

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
The reason why Oda is not placing Zoro as a clear second is because Zoro was never intended to be a second.
Zoro is the guy going for the 1st rank, not second. He is just helping Luffy to achieve his goal.
It wouldnt surprise me if Zoro left the crew once he sees to Luffy becoming PK. Pirate King and Pirate Hunter, two opposites.
@Den_Den_Mushi Nice to see you back. The action in recent chapters made Wano enjoyable again? :catpole:

sanji is the only one canonically lead the crew and oda even nicknamed the group twirly hats i don’t think he ever done that to zoro

oda chose sanji when he was showcasing killer and bepo

sanji was leading the marines

duval became his subordinate

sanji throughout the series turned people into allies which is the quality of a leader as seen with duval,g5,viola and pudding

zoro is luffys right hand man no doubt but when it comes to leading the straw hats sanji is the best choice after luffy

/Sanji has more leading experience

- Sous Chef of the Baratie ( Second in command)
- Led the Curly Hats
- Led the Marine G5
- Led the Flying Fish Riders
- Gave orders to the Vinsmokes and Fighting Tank Pirates

And just gave orders to Jinbe in this chapter.

/Sanji took charge multiple times whilst Luffy and Zoro were present

- Took charge of Luffy and Usopp at the start of Skypeia

- Took charge of Zoro, Brook and Kinemon on Punk Hazard. People argue that Zoro was in charge because it said Zoro's group or what not...but thats only because Zoro is more well known. Sanji was leading them clear as day.

/Sanji also has similarities with Rayleigh

- Blonde Hair
- Black Beard
- Womanizer
- Smart

Of course you can use Barto and Urouge's statement....but remember at that point Zoro had the higher bounty. And that usually shows superiority in Pirate Crew Rankings. Even though we know Bounty /=/ Strength.

sanji is the only one canonically lead the crew and oda even nicknamed the group twirly hats i don’t think he ever done that to zoro

oda chose sanji when he was showcasing killer and bepo

sanji was leading the marines

duval became his subordinate

sanji throughout the series turned people into allies which is the quality of a leader as seen with duval,g5,viola and pudding

zoro is luffys right hand man no doubt but when it comes to leading the straw hats sanji is the best choice after luffy
To quote @Den_Den_Mushi
"
Sanji is actually quite a poor leader. I would not describe him as level-headed; in fact, when things reach crisis point, he offers few workable solutions and often loses control of his emotions.

When Luffy challenged Aokiji to a duel, Sanji slammed Usopp into a wall and blamed him for not stopping Luffy, which was both unproductive and illogical. What could Usopp possibly have done? Zoro, on the other hand, acknowledged that while he personally felt frustrated, Luffy’s wishes should be upheld first and foremost.

During WCI, instead of believing in Luffy or at least trying to explain the situation that Zeff was in, Sanji kicked him in the face, insulted him and showed zero understanding of his own captain’s personality. There was no need to be violent towards Luffy, he was not leaving regardless. Having been through 3D2Y, having read about Luffy’s attempt to save Ace and having been present at Enies Lobby and Arlong Park, there was no excuse for this behaviour. Sanji let his emotions get the better of him, and took his frustrations out on his Captain.

Now, if you had to choose a leader, who would you choose? The tough but fair leader who remains logical and tells you what you need to hear rather than what you want to hear, or the hot headed, emotional leader that violently attacks his own crewmates to alleviate his frustrations?

I believe I’ve made my point clear.”

- Led the Curly Hats
- Led the Marine G5

- Took charge of Zoro, Brook and Kinemon on Punk Hazard. People argue that Zoro was in charge because it said Zoro's group or what not...but thats only because Zoro is more well known. Sanji was leading them clear as day.

- Blonde Hair
- Black Beard
- Womanizer
- Smart

Of course you can use Barto and Urouge's statement....but remember at that point Zoro had the higher bounty. And that usually shows superiority in Pirate Crew Rankings. Even though we know Bounty /=/ Strength.
I’ve never understood your flying fish riders point. Duval called him young master because of his flying debt to Sanji he never actually led them
Infact there is more credence to the fact Zoro led Sanji because of this panel

*Note: I’m not using this panel as evidence but rather showing that your point is bogus
Post automatically merged:

- Led the Curly Hats
- Led the Marine G5

- Blonde Hair
- Black Beard
- Womanizer
- Smart

When was Rayleigh shown as a womanizer
also lol at smart

I’ve never understood your flying fish riders point. Duval called him young master because of his flying debt to Sanji he never actually led them
Infact there is more credence to the fact Zoro led Sanji because of this panel

*Note: I’m not using this panel as evidence but rather showing that your point is bogus
Sanji did lead them. Reread Saboundy.

Zoro didnt even go with them. How is that leading are you dumb. I have an exact same panel of this but Sanji scolding Zoro.