Current Events Zoro Will not be "Defeated" in the Onigashima Raid

Should Zoro be defeated in the Onigashima Raid?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cinera

๐€๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐Œ๐š๐ฌ๐œ๐ก๐ž๐ง๐ง๐ฒ ๐๐ž๐ญ
โ€Ž
Disclaimer: The topic of this thread was first mentioned in the spoiler thread but it has no relationship to the chapter spoilers, and I would prefer discussion on it took place in a more persistent place, so I created this thread.

I have seen several people express the desire for Zoro to have a clean defeat in the upcoming Onigashima raid against his 1 vs 1 arc opponent (presumably King or Who's Who) when they fight. Zoro would then later defeat said opponent in a subsequent battle. Those who expressed this desire have said that it will make Zoro's fights less boring and would help him grow as a character.

I think the desire is a bit misguided. I'm not sure there's any meaningful lesson Zoro can learn from a defeat against a stronger opponent. In his battle with Mihawk, he already learned the vastness of the world:

That defeat made Zoro insecure about his strength and drove him to desire to be extraordinary:

He has already faced (likely) the strongest opponent he would ever face and acknowledged his inferiority. He abandoned his pride and begged Mihawk to train him.

After his loss to Mihawk, Zoro swore (upon Wado Ichimonji, his only memento of Kuina) to Luffy that he would never lose again. The vow was acknowledged by Mihawk himself:

This promise was so important that the chapter was named Oath:

While it is true that Zoro has had subsequent defeats and losses (Enel, Lucci, Borsalino and the Yeti Brothers come to mind as plausible losses), none of them were in straight 1 vs 1s against his arc opponents, and none of them were swordsmen. In short, none of them were duels. Zoro's oath can be understood as being in reference to duels with other swordsmen (he just lost a duel to Mihawk and promised he wouldn't lose until he faced Mihawk again), and in that respect, he has held up his promise. A clean defeat by King or Who's Who will cause Zoro to break this most solemn vow. His oath to Luffy is one of the three most important character defining moments for him (the other two are the Thriller Bark scene and when he bowed his head to Mihawk to ask him for training). That vow is a core component of his character.

To get defeated by another swordsman would break that vow, it would severely undermine Zoro's character. And for what? To make his fight less "boring"? To add some vague sense of excitement to his battle? To generate fake tension? Instead of adding depth to his character, a loss would only serve as regression for Zoro. Would you really rather Oda undermine Zoro's character for cheap thrills?

@Buusatan94
@Queen
@Zoro
@Van
@playa4321
@Celestia
@Grumpy Zoro
@Ice devil slayer
@KiriNigiri
@Veljko2000
@rednose
@Winsmoke Sanji
@Monet
@Veku
@BigChungus2018
@Crooc
@Reborn
@BossYimz
@Robin swan
@gojo
@Fenaker
@PuckTheGreat
@RayanOO
@ShishioIsBack
@Orojackson Refugee
@Greenbeard
@Dragomir
@Sword God Ryuma
@Sentinel
@IceWitch
@Himura
@DarkWitch
@stormylife
@Mr. Anderson
@yunzabit heights
@Monster trio
@Vonal
@Don DaSlayer
@Xione
@Master OF Haki
@Topi Jerami
@Yukihime
@bennbeckman
@Thabeast
@SaintBellkin
@SinOfGreed
@Zenos7
@Lucas
@JioFreed
@pedxi
@Zowo
@Luslec
@style
@Luffy is the mc
@Guymieux
@Mikail
@KINGKONGGUN15
@RyumaZoro
@worst pirate
@ZenZu
@LuffyMazino
@Im_not_Osama_bin_laden
@HAJIKATA
@Jackteo
@Tamerani
@Marimo_420
@Garp the Fist
@Kejon
@Fukki
@Flower
@Sunita
@RZ.119
@Sade
@Skiddo
@KageyamaShoyo
@Den_Den_Mushi
@Elcadar
@Finalbeta
@Bullet
@Dark Hound
@Patryipe
@Light D Lamperouge
@Enma
@Owl Ki
@ZoroIsOverrated
@ShinmenTakezo
@Jack
@Admiral Lee Hung
@Bogard
@Starbound Beast D. Draig
@Shiroyru
@Camie
@ShadyOjiro
@Benn beck
@SethTrollins
@MarimoHeado
@Foxy Bunny
@Bittersteel
@comrade
@Cyrus the Cactus
@OmegaPsyche
@SHIHI
@Zoro D Goat
@critical mindset
@kurwa
@WillOfMyD
@Jo_Ndule
@Reddot4
@Exodia.
@nik87
@Sakura no Hiluluk
@Usopp Haoshoku Haki
@Gambit
@Monkey D Theories
@TheAncientCenturion
@Haoshoku
@Geo
@Yo Tan Wa
@Izaya X
@gon's missing arm
@Albino ๐Ÿ‘‘
@MasterD
@SmokedOut
@HeroesNZ
@Cinera
@Murilo
@Dark Knight Sanji
@Afroking
@Rosella.Fiamingo
@Chaves
@Rivaille
@Nidai_Kitetsu
@MonsterZoro
@Gol D. Roger
@Soleus
@Aknolagon
@Emperor Nami
@Constantine
@Gensui Sazid
@K!NG HARA$H!MA
@Hanzo hattori
@Buggy D Clown
@silverfire
@yorosenpai
@Tenshi No Konan
@Guan Yu
@Artorias
@Kiwipom
@zorojurou
@MD Zolo
@Brix
@Chrono
@HA001
@Sadistic Senpai
@bblue
@MarineHQ62
@KenshiraSonata
@Erkan12

Last edited:

Marimo_420

The Honoured One
โ€Ž
Nice thread as always @Cinera.
To get defeated by another swordsman would break that vow, it would severely undermine Zoro's character. And for what? To make his fight less "boring"? To add some vague sense of excitement to his battle? To generate fake tension? Instead of adding depth to his character, a loss would only serve as regression for Zoro. Would you really rather Oda undermine Zoro's character for cheap thrills?
The correct answer to that question is none of the above. Those answers are just the premise they use to promote their hidden agenda @SinOfGreed
Most people saying they want Zoro to lose for 'character development' really just want him to lose so they can try and clown Zoro fans
:kayneshrug:

Last edited:

Cinera

๐€๐ฌ๐ฉ๐ข๐ซ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐Œ๐š๐ฌ๐œ๐ก๐ž๐ง๐ง๐ฒ ๐๐ž๐ญ
โ€Ž
Nice thread as always @Cinera.

The correct answer to that question is none of the above. That is just the premise they use to promote their hidden agenda @SinOfGreed
While that may be true, I generally try to be charitable.

Seth

๐Š๐จ๐ค๐ฎ๐ญ๐จ ๐’๐ก๐ฎ๐ฌ๐ฎ๐ข
โ€Ž
No I will not love that. Zoro must start winning and prove a lot of people wrong. I quietly hope that all of this memeing Zoro by Oda will pay off in the real fights. I can't stand what Oda does with Zoro sometimes and stuff like fainting should never exist. Zoro losing will make zero sense and only regression for his character.

Last edited:
C

critical mindset

He has competent fighters beside him now that WBP have entered the scene. He doesn't have to worry about omnidirectional attacks when people of note has got his back. :) When he can leverage his power and lethality like that he can come to good use.

By defeated you mean he got KOed? No. I can't see it, if Zoro got defeated it would also make sense that Others got defeated too, Zoro is in group of heavy hitters from Alliance ,so unless of Plot Armor Alliance would be defeated, (which still can be Theorised as Alliance have chance to fail)

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
โ€Ž
If the raid fail in Onigashima, im sure almost everyone get badly beat down, not just Luffy and Zoro. So if the raid fail, she chance of Zoro losing is very high.
Is it gonna fail at this point ? They destroyed the ships so they have no where to retreat to
The meme pirates are out.
Marco and the wb pirates are arriving.
Outside some fake tension loss i think this is it.

Last edited by a moderator: