Current Events Zoro Will not be "Defeated" in the Onigashima Raid

Should Zoro be defeated in the Onigashima Raid?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Most people saying they want Zoro to lose for 'character development' really just want him to lose so they can try and clown Zoro fans
:kayneshrug:
No need for that, Zoro fans clown themselves any single day :hihihi:

I would be happy if he loses just for their reaction :suresure:
I don't think losing he would break some oath, Luffy proclaimed in front of Issho he would have never escaped anymore or something similar just to flee when Big Mom went on a rampage a while after. Characters say absurd things, Zoro is no exception.
He lost countless times since that day.

And the Sandai Kitetsu won't break alone

C

critical mindset

No need for that, Zoro fans clown themselves any single day :hihihi:

I would be happy if he loses just for their reaction :suresure:
I don't think losing he would break some oath, Luffy proclaimed in front of Issho he would have never escaped anymore or something similar just to flee when Big Mom went on a rampage a while after. Characters say absurd things, Zoro is no exception.
He lost countless times since that day.

And the Sandai Kitetsu won't break alone
As long as it's not against a swordsman, Oda is not breaking any rules of a preordained order when he makes Zolo takes Ls from stabs and nails; as long as it's not against a swordsman, expect there to be an L :steef:there's always plot armour when he is up against a swordsman :cheers:

I don't even think the Strawhats as a whole will lose in Onigashima. Act III will end with the Calamities, Kaidou and Big Mom getting serious. Act IV with big Mom leaving Wano with her crew to sail toward Elbaf once she'll have learnt that the last Road Poneglyph is there and Kaidou is defeated. Act V will be the usual aftermath of the arc.

No way Zoro got's the time to lose once here.

Disclaimer: The topic of this thread was first mentioned in the spoiler thread but it has no relationship to the chapter spoilers, and I would prefer discussion on it took place in a more persistent place, so I created this thread.

I have seen several people express the desire for Zoro to have a clean defeat in the upcoming Onigashima raid against his 1 vs 1 arc opponent (presumably King or Who's Who) when they fight. Zoro would then later defeat said opponent in a subsequent battle. Those who expressed this desire have said that it will make Zoro's fights less boring and would help him grow as a character.

I think the desire is a bit misguided. I'm not sure there's any meaningful lesson Zoro can learn from a defeat against a stronger opponent. In his battle with Mihawk, he already learned the vastness of the world:

That defeat made Zoro insecure about his strength and drove him to desire to be extraordinary:

He has already faced (likely) the strongest opponent he would ever face and acknowledged his inferiority. He abandoned his pride and begged Mihawk to train him.

After his loss to Mihawk, Zoro swore (upon Wado Ichimonji, his only memento of Kuina) to Luffy that he would never lose again. The vow was acknowledged by Mihawk himself:

This promise was so important that the chapter was named Oath:

While it is true that Zoro has had subsequent defeats and losses (Enel, Lucci, Borsalino and the Yeti Brothers come to mind as plausible losses), none of them were in straight 1 vs 1s against his arc opponents, and none of them were swordsmen. In short, none of them were duels. Zoro's oath can be understood as being in reference to duels with other swordsmen (he just lost a duel to Mihawk and promised he wouldn't lose until he faced Mihawk again), and in that respect, he has held up his promise. A clean defeat by King or Who's Who will cause Zoro to break this most solemn vow. His oath to Luffy is one of the three most important character defining moments for him (the other two are the Thriller Bark scene and when he bowed his head to Mihawk to ask him for training). That vow is a core component of his character.

To get defeated by another swordsman would break that vow, it would severely undermine Zoro's character. And for what? To make his fight less "boring"? To add some vague sense of excitement to his battle? To generate fake tension? Instead of adding depth to his character, a loss would only serve as regression for Zoro. Would you really rather Oda undermine Zoro's character for cheap thrills?

@Buusatan94
@Queen
@Zoro
@Van
@playa4321
@Celestia
@Grumpy Zoro
@Ice devil slayer
@KiriNigiri
@Veljko2000
@rednose
@Winsmoke Sanji
@Monet
@Veku
@BigChungus2018
@Crooc
@Reborn
@BossYimz
@Robin swan
@gojo
@Fenaker
@PuckTheGreat
@RayanOO
@ShishioIsBack
@Orojackson Refugee
@Greenbeard
@Dragomir
@Sword God Ryuma
@Sentinel
@IceWitch
@Himura
@DarkWitch
@stormylife
@Mr. Anderson
@yunzabit heights
@Monster trio
@Vonal
@Don DaSlayer
@Xione
@Master OF Haki
@Topi Jerami
@Yukihime
@bennbeckman
@Thabeast
@SaintBellkin
@SinOfGreed
@Zenos7
@Lucas
@JioFreed
@pedxi
@Zowo
@Luslec
@style
@Luffy is the mc
@Guymieux
@Mikail
@KINGKONGGUN15
@RyumaZoro
@worst pirate
@ZenZu
@LuffyMazino
@Im_not_Osama_bin_laden
@HAJIKATA
@Jackteo
@Tamerani
@Marimo_420
@Garp the Fist
@Kejon
@Fukki
@Flower
@Sunita
@RZ.119
@Sade
@Skiddo
@KageyamaShoyo
@Den_Den_Mushi
@Elcadar
@Finalbeta
@Bullet
@Dark Hound
@Patryipe
@Light D Lamperouge
@Enma
@Owl Ki
@ZoroIsOverrated
@ShinmenTakezo
@Jack
@Admiral Lee Hung
@Bogard
@Starbound Beast D. Draig
@Shiroyru
@Camie
@ShadyOjiro
@Benn beck
@SethTrollins
@MarimoHeado
@Foxy Bunny
@Bittersteel
@comrade
@Cyrus the Cactus
@OmegaPsyche
@SHIHI
@Zoro D Goat
@critical mindset
@kurwa
@WillOfMyD
@Jo_Ndule
@Reddot4
@Exodia.
@nik87
@Sakura no Hiluluk
@Usopp Haoshoku Haki
@Gambit
@Monkey D Theories
@TheAncientCenturion
@Haoshoku
@Geo
@Yo Tan Wa
@Izaya X
@gon's missing arm
@Albino 👑
@MasterD
@SmokedOut
@HeroesNZ
@Cinera
@Murilo
@Dark Knight Sanji
@Afroking
@Rosella.Fiamingo
@Chaves
@Rivaille
@Nidai_Kitetsu
@MonsterZoro
@Gol D. Roger
@Soleus
@Aknolagon
@Emperor Nami
@Constantine
@Gensui Sazid
@K!NG HARA$H!MA
@Hanzo hattori
@Buggy D Clown
@silverfire
@yorosenpai
@Tenshi No Konan
@Guan Yu
@Artorias
@Kiwipom
@zorojurou
@MD Zolo
@Brix
@Chrono
@HA001
@Sadistic Senpai
@bblue
@MarineHQ62
@KenshiraSonata
@Erkan12
THat promise is the biggest plot armor that is protecting Zoro in 1 vs 1 duels honestly

Oda always avoids it, which honestly makes me hate it when a character is MORE protected than his own captain despite being relatively weaker

Yea coz that promise got broken a long time ago by Eneru. Zoro pretty much challenged him and got fucked up bad. Eneru literally stepped on his head :josad:
Doesn't count. Zoro won't lose a duel against another swordsman. But that doesn't mean that he cannot be overwhelmed by an overpowered boss that is reserved for Luffy. And as Enel was a logia, he was pretty much invincible.

I don't want Zoro to loose, there are other ways to hype The Antagonists. And i don't think Oda should go like this with SHs at this stage of Story, much less with Zoro who had taken a Oath regarding the same. I think WCI already served that purpose somewhat, when SHs barely survived an Yonkou.

The way i see fight going is, Zoro being overwhelmed at first and thn winning after a good PU.

Some odd chance if it happens, i can see thr entire alliance being defeated. Kinda like how SHs got defeated by CP9 at first. A complete defeat and difference of abilities and strength gap.

While it is true that Zoro has had subsequent defeats and losses (Enel, Lucci, Borsalino and the Yeti Brothers come to mind as plausible losses), none of them were in straight 1 vs 1s against his arc opponents, and none of them were swordsmen. In short, none of them were duels.
You forgot this;

And you forgot this;

Since you guys think Akainu > MF Blackbeard because Blackbeard retreated from Akainu. That means Zoro accepted his inferiority in front of Apoo.

It was Apoo > Zoro, or Zoro made a strategical retreat, which one?

S

SinOfGreed

You forgot this;

And you forgot this;

Since you guys think Akainu > MF Blackbeard because Blackbeard retreated from Akainu. That means Zoro accepted his inferiority in front of Apoo.

Using Apoo to try and downplay Zoro is ridiculous. You can see the panel. Who is Zoro carrying? His knocked out captain. He says that they have to reserve their energy for Kaido. In other words, he has his sights set on bigger fish.

C

critical mindset

You forgot this;

And you forgot this;

It's the same way they try to put down Killer when their own boy fares no better and uses Enma to cut down fodder :) swordbois and their double standards :steef: