Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It hasn't been disproved.
Luffy considered Carrot his nakama=> Proceed to call her by her name.

-Does that makes Carrot Nakama?
NO, because Luffy hasn't asked her to join.
-Does this means she'll be?
No, because her situation can change.
-Does this means Carrot has a good relationship with Luffy and she just needs more development to her character to realize Luffy is more important than what she actually thought?
Yes
-Could this happen?
Yes, or no. But could definitely happen.

The point is clear.
Luffy considers Yamato as an Ally (for the moment)=>Yamao
Luffy considers Carrot as a member=>Carrot
I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to argue here. I wasn't even talking about Carrot. You brought up the "Yamao nickname debunks Yamato for Nakama" argument again, and that has 100% been disproved. Like seriously, just go back and read Drum kingdom again. There's literally dozens of panels of Luffy calling chopper by a nickname, including when he officially asked him to join. If that doesn't disprove the idea that Luffy calling someone a nickname disqualifies them from joining then 2 plus 2 equals fish. There's not even a discussion to be had over it.

@Shift This is why some of the Yamato crew didn't react well to you asking us to stop with the insults. Adress your own squad first before you accuse others.

In other news, Neko taking Perospero outside puts Carrot in a prime position for round 2. Maybe Carrot fans should be talking about that instead of more weekly nonesense theories about Yamato?
He's just pissed off Yamato has more personality in one panel of her's than he has ever had and Carroto.
Just a witless soulless person.
kek
:goatasure:

I'm sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to argue here. I wasn't even talking about Carrot. You brought up the "Yamao nickname debunks Yamato for Nakama" argument again, and that has 100% been disproved. Like seriously, just go back and read Drum kingdom again. There's literally dozens of panels of Luffy calling chopper by a nickname, including when he officially asked him to join. If that doesn't disprove the idea that Luffy calling someone a nickname disqualifies them from joining then 2 plus 2 equals fish. There's not even a discussion to be had over it.
I don't think the nickname debunks her as a Nakama LMAO
I really think Yamato has a lot of chances, but I just prefer cool characters to have their own story and not being always part of the main cast xD

I don't think the nickname debunks her as a Nakama LMAO
I really think Yamato has a lot of chances, but I just prefer cool characters to have their own story and not being always part of the main cast xD
That's an OK thing to want, but I think the fact that Yamato has expressed like 3 times going out to sea with Luffy, it's a pretty solid expectation at this point. Last time she directly said it to Kaido in 1016

Reminder that Yamato asked "for a ride on his ship" and wanted to "go out to sea with Luffy" which is not the same thing as joining the crew. Robin was the only Strawhat to ask to join, and she asked to join the crew, which is different.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Reminder that Yamato asked "for a ride on his ship" and wanted to "go out to sea with Luffy" which is not the same thing as joining the crew. Robin was the only Strawhat to ask to join, and she asked to join the crew, which is different.
And that Yamato asked as "Oden" which can go in a completely opposite direction if Yamato sheds the Oden image.

And that Yamato asked as "Oden" which can go in a completely opposite direction if Yamato sheds the Oden image.
Her dream to sail with Luffy isn't based on Oden at all. It's based on Ace. She wanted to sail with him, and she couldn't because her Oden persona is what tied her to Wano, not the opposite. She couldn't leave until she fulfilled her duty as Oden by fighting for Wano against Kaido, as she said when their confrontation began. Now she's been waiting for years for Luffy to arrive, defeat Kaido, and fulfill Ace's promise in his stead. Oden was the reason why she thought Luffy should agree to take her, not the reason she wanted to go. That's the way it's phrased when she asks.

I just think it's weird that everyone takes it for granted that Yamato even wants to be a part of the crew... Yamato wants to live free and go on adventures, which might not equate with the Strawhats agenda of going to Laughtale (which Yamato may already know the secrets of through Oden's journal) and starting a war. Yamato could have a specific reason for believing Luffy will give them a ride, and see Luffy as a ticket out of Wano. The easiest possibility that comes to mind is that Kaido hid a Road Poneglyph somewhere outside Wano (Law and Robin haven't found them in the Flower Capital or Onigashima), and Yamato could lead Luffy there. Acting as a guide also fits with myths of Japanese wolves, see this.

I'm just trying to think shorter term here. It could always come around like with Yamato saying "you gave me freedom, now let me pay you back by taking you to the Road Poneglyph" to which Luffy could say "don't you want to join us?" etc... but the fact that Yamato asked very differently from how Robin did could be significant.

I just think it's weird that everyone takes it for granted that Yamato even wants to be a part of the crew... Yamato wants to live free and go on adventures, which might not equate with the Strawhats agenda of going to Laughtale (which Yamato may already know the secrets of through Oden's journal) and starting a war. Yamato could have a specific reason for believing Luffy will give them a ride, and see Luffy as a ticket out of Wano. The easiest possibility that comes to mind is that Kaido hid a Road Poneglyph somewhere outside Wano (Law and Robin haven't found them in the Flower Capital or Onigashima), and Yamato could lead Luffy there. Acting as a guide also fits with myths of Japanese wolves, see this.

I'm just trying to think shorter term here. It could always come around like with Yamato saying "you gave me freedom, now let me pay you back by taking you to the Road Poneglyph" to which Luffy could say "don't you want to join us?" etc... but the fact that Yamato asked very differently from how Robin did could be significant.
The reason people assume that is because she has been waiting for Luffy specifically. If all she wanted was to get out of Wano she could just as easily ask Kid or Law, or even set out on her own once Kaido is defeated with one of the many newly unnocupied beast pirate ships.

This also doesn't take into account her more recent declaration of "I'm going to sail the seas with Luffy", which is much harder to misinterprate.

The reason people assume that is because she has been waiting for Luffy specifically. If all she wanted was to get out of Wano she could just as easily ask Kid or Law, or even set out on her own once Kaido is defeated with one of the many newly unnocupied beast pirate ships.

This also doesn't take into account her more recent declaration of "I'm going to sail the seas with Luffy", which is much harder to misinterprate.
It's just "I'm going to the sea with Luffy", there's no implication of it being anything more than a single trip.

I agree with this tbh.

If people want to argue against Yamato, they should still be able to admit the obvious.

She is 100% sailing away from Wano on the Sunny.
That does not need to be as a Strawhat, as Momo, Kine’mon, Carrot et al have shown.

That’s an actually respectable argument in a way that Yamato will die/Yamato will stay on Wano isn’t. It acknowledges what has been said by the character- and not by Kaido- while also pointing out she hasn’t yet technically asked to be a Strawhat.

Yeah i agree too. Nice analysis. I believe Yamato is gonna join the crew. While Yamato hasn't asked to be a Straw Hat explicitly yet, among all the worst gen crews currently on Wano, Luffy's the only crew Yamato has set her eyes on and would want to leave with. She's shown zero indication of wanting to go with Law or Kidd's for example.

That's why the person she decided to meet first in the alliance was Luffy in the attic.

I think her flashback with Ace where he told Yamato Luffy's dream and his words of wanting to be Pirate King and finding the One Piece was what made Yamato pick Luffy, that, and also the news she would have read in the papers of Luffy and the Straw Hat Pirates exploits and accomplishments would've also helped reinforce her choice. The fact that she recognizes members of the crew like Franky from the bounty posters shows that she has a particular interest in them. And i don't think this is a new thing either, after the Paramount War and the Straw Hats return after the timeskip, the name Straw Hat Luffy and the Straw Hat Pirates have garnered enough fame and recognition that other people would like to join them, like the Grand Fleet and Jinbe for example.

I don't think Yamato would mind Luffy going straight for the One Piece and not circling the world again, returning to places they have already visited and give her a tour of the four blues and the grand line just for her sake, at least not immediately. I think what she wants right now is defeating Kaido and kicking him out of Wano, so she can clear Oden's name then leave with Luffy, hoping that her helping him will gain his trust.

Whether or not Yamato wants to go straight to Laugh Tale after joining, she definitely wants to join Luffy's crew. She doesn't or probably won't settle for anything else or less. Because Oden joined Whitebeard and Roger's crew, Luffy is the only one among the worst gen right now who would be comparable to them. Yamato even thought before that Ace was gonna lead the new era, which is why she wanted to leave with Ace. If her stich of wanting to be Oden remains true after this arc, she'd only want to join Luffy's crew and no one else. She probably also got a boost in her desire to go on adventures from reading Oden's journal and all the places Oden's been to with Roger, no doubt that it would have had a great affect on her.

Read 1016 again. "I'm going to sail the seas with Luffy". Plural implies continuous adventures, not just one.
Plurals are a bit odd and difficult to translate from Japanese to English iirc.

Hence the recent wings debacle with Zoro and Sanji

I think generally it’s best not to get too bogged down over individually words used by the translator without knowing Japanese and reading the original

Plurals are a bit odd and difficult to translate from Japanese to English iirc.

Hence the recent wings debacle with Zoro and Sanji

I think generally it’s best not to get too bogged down over individually words used by the translator without knowing Japanese and reading the original
Well it's a pretty significant difference in implication. The oficial clearly implies that Yamato wants to go on continuous adventures with Luffy. Saying "It might be translated wrong" is a very poor argument to deny the clear implication of a character's declaration. If this is the new standard then we can plug our ears, close our eyes, and deny anything the manga says to fit our agenda.

Well it's a pretty significant difference in implication. The oficial clearly implies that Yamato wants to go on continuous adventures with Luffy. Saying "It might be translated wrong" is a very poor argument to deny the clear implication of a character's declaration. If this is the new standard then we can plug our ears, close our eyes, and deny anything the manga says to fit our agenda.
I’ve just looked up 1016 and the official doesn’t even mention ”seas”, it says “I’m going out to sea with Luffy”.

Status
Not open for further replies.