General & Others Why does Luffy deserve to be captain?

In the databooks, it has been said that zoro is nearly as strong as Luffy. Some fans even claim that he is stronger. But then, why does Luffy deserve to be captain of the straw hat pirates?

It can't merely be because Luffy saved zoro's life all those years ago. If helmeppo or someone else saved zoro, would zoro have followed him? Would zoro have followed any bum-ass who untied him? Obviously not, obviously Luffy is special. So what is so special about Luffy?
Well, Luffy himself answered this in chapter 90 of the manga, which is aptly titled "what can you do". In it, Luffy admits he can't use a sword, cook, navigate, or tell lies. Arlong mocks Luffy asks him what Luffy can do. Luffy responds with telling Arlong that he can beat him.

I think the special thing about Luffy is something that is highlighted in almost all of his fights. That is his resilience to defeat. Whereas Zoro is comparable in strength to Luffy, resilience to defeat is an attribute that has NEVER been attributed to him. Think about it, an integral part of Zoro's character is basically the opposite, zoro is averse to defeat. He isn't afraid of defeat don't get me wrong, but he would rather die before failing and this ideology allows him to undertake immense amounts of pain that even Luffy can't handle. The most famous examples of this are thriller bark and wano kuni.

The one time Zoro did flat out fail was against mihawk in east blue, after which he basically attempted suicide by telling Mihawk to slash him across the chest, and subsequently started crying due to shame. Now I don't want zoro fans to misunderstand me, this isn't an attack on zoro, but I think it is important to note: Luffy would never do this.

Luffy doesn't give a shit about defeat. He doesn't care how many times he is defeated or how many time someone makes a fool of him. Luffy is rubber and he will always bounce back. Whereas Zoro's fights focus on Zoro enduring the pain to never lose, Luffy's fights focus on him having the will to fight in the face of failure. This is why Luffy is such a good protagonist, because he isn't zoro, the man who never loses. He loses multiple times, every single arc. And yet he always has the strength to keep on fighting.

This is why Luffy is such a lovable character(to both the fans and to other characters in the story), and why imo Luffy deserves to be captain. In the biggest arcs of the story, the main villains are always far stronger than Luffy. Sometimes Zoro gets a villain stronger than him, but the gap is nowhere as close as Luffy and the main villain. This is the truth behind Luffy's statement to Arlong. Luffy is the only one who can beat these big bad villains(ect. Crocodile, Doffy, Kaido, ect.) because he is the only one with the willpower to keep fighting in the face of crushing defeat.

In the databooks, it has been said that zoro is nearly as strong as Luffy. Some fans even claim that he is stronger. But then, why does Luffy deserve to be captain of the straw hat pirates?

It can't merely be because Luffy saved zoro's life all those years ago. If helmeppo or someone else saved zoro, would zoro have followed him? Would zoro have followed any bum-ass who untied him? Obviously not, obviously Luffy is special. So what is so special about Luffy?
Well, Luffy himself answered this in chapter 90 of the manga, which is aptly titled "what can you do". In it, Luffy admits he can't use a sword, cook, navigate, or tell lies. Arlong mocks Luffy asks him what Luffy can do. Luffy responds with telling Arlong that he can beat him.

I think the special thing about Luffy is something that is highlighted in almost all of his fights. That is his resilience to defeat. Whereas Zoro is comparable in strength to Luffy, resilience to defeat is an attribute that has NEVER been attributed to him. Think about it, an integral part of Zoro's character is basically the opposite, zoro is averse to defeat. He isn't afraid of defeat don't get me wrong, but he would rather die before failing and this ideology allows him to undertake immense amounts of pain that even Luffy can't handle. The most famous examples of this are thriller bark and wano kuni.

The one time Zoro did flat out fail was against mihawk in east blue, after which he basically attempted suicide by telling Mihawk to slash him across the chest, and subsequently started crying due to shame. Now I don't want zoro fans to misunderstand me, this isn't an attack on zoro, but I think it is important to note: Luffy would never do this.

Luffy doesn't give a shit about defeat. He doesn't care how many times he is defeated or how many time someone makes a fool of him. Luffy is rubber and he will always bounce back. Whereas Zoro's fights focus on Zoro enduring the pain to never lose, Luffy's fights focus on him having the will to fight in the face of failure. This is why Luffy is such a good protagonist, because he isn't zoro, the man who never loses. He loses multiple times, every single arc. And yet he always has the strength to keep on fighting.

This is why Luffy is such a lovable character(to both the fans and to other characters in the story), and why imo Luffy deserves to be captain. In the biggest arcs of the story, the main villains are always far stronger than Luffy. Sometimes Zoro gets a villain stronger than him, but the gap is nowhere as close as Luffy and the main villain. This is the truth behind Luffy's statement to Arlong. Luffy is the only one who can beat these big bad villains(ect. Crocodile, Doffy, Kaido, ect.) because he is the only one with the willpower to keep fighting in the face of crushing defeat.

Look Zoro following Luffy is a 1&1 win situation. Exploring all the world would make Zoro goal even greater than just train to hell and face Mihawk. The fact that he is in the same journey with Luffy would complete Zoro to a total different level than just become stronger on is own. Mihawk said that was to early and Zoro had to see the world before facing him again.
That in some way, the exact process than Luffy.

Anyway Oda did a good job in splitting the 2 goal without making Zoro just a subordinate but more like a partner that can step up in moment where is most needed (taking the role as a captain)

Luffy's the captain because he declared himself a pirate before he even had a crew. Then he proceeded to gather a crew by asking and/or telling them to join.

One theme of the manga is a person's determination to follow their dreams. Luffy's the captain because his willingness to die for his dream inspired the other SHs (sans Zoro). Another interesting point about Luffy is that he wants his crew to succeed in their dreams and ambitions. Luffy's the captain because he has fought for the Strawhats and risked his life to save them. Basically his actions demonstrate that his nakama and their dreams are dear to him. That is why I think Luffy deserves the title of captain.

TL;DR: Luffy needs each and everyone of the Strawhats to help him become Pirate King, and the Strawhats need to journey with Luffy in order to achieve their dreams.

He has earned Zoro respect throughout their long time together i think Zoro had feeling Luffy was capable at first which later got confirmed, they do share a lot of similarities in terms of strong will burning desire to achieve their dreams both honorable. We also can't forget Zoro never actually aspired to be a pirate in the first place he agreed to it making an exception because of Luffy

Because Luffy has more willpower than Zoro, unlike what Zoro claimed in the beginning. Luffy refuse Zoro's refusal until Zoro gave up so its a testament of Luffy's unyielding willpower and unshakeable perseverence and you can insert other romanticizations here.

It is simple, Zoro doesn’t have emotional intelligence or leader qualities like Luffy. Luffy would go ends of hell to save every single one of his nakama. Its all or nothing for him. As seen of Skypiea how he took riskier path where everyone dies or survive or In Zou how he went to get back Sanji while Zoro was adamant on leaving him alone.

I think to me it is the fact that Luffy would always be there for Zoro. Zoro can rely on Luffy to die for him, he has seen it time and time again, Luffys willingness to put his life on the line for Nico Robin, life on the line for Zoro in Sabaody where he'd fight even an admiral for him.

Zoro respects him because he can resonate with that, because he's willing to die for those he wants to protect as well. Thriller Bark and Hakai.

Luffy and Zoro are essentially partners due to that rather than Luffy having relationship of a "superior" to Zoro.

I mean no, Luffy is zoro's superior and clearly gives him orders(like when he told Zoro to get off the rooftop because he was going to defeat kaido himself).
I mean how is that any different than Zoro telling Luffy he can handle Pica or he can cut the train? If Mihawk were to come back again and Luffy wants to fight him and Zoro tells him no Luffy would have no choice but to agree.

They do it out of respect not because of Luffy's superiority.

Because hes the only one capable

Individual if zoro, nami, usopp, and the rest of the strawhats for some reason decided to go there own ways after luffy saved them
None of them would be able to gather a crew, fleet, allies, etc even a quarter as good as luffy. Without luffy just like the other way around none of them would have been make it as far as they did

Because hes the only one capable

Individual if zoro, nami, usopp, and the rest of the strawhats for some reason decided to go there own ways after luffy saved them
None of them would be able to gather a crew, fleet, allies, etc even a quarter as good as luffy. Without luffy just like the other way around none of them would have been make it as far as they did
Zoro already had crew members and he didn't even want them. If Zoro someone with commander level strength walks into the New World, literally for his strength alone make people follow him. But Zoro naturally draws people in check out bird cage where every one was down to follow "Zoro senpai's Lead".

Zoro is just as much of a leader as Luffy is with an ability to attract strong allies tho Luffy is better at attracting, Zoro is better at leading like being level headed, making smart decisions. Zoro was doing leadership heavy hitting in water 7 when Luffy and Nami were all emotions

And of course Zoro is a conqueror, a King with ambition of a King. Conqueror's Haki is literally associated with conquering, with leading

Zoro already had crew members and he didn't even want them. If Zoro someone with commander level strength walks into the New World, literally for his strength alone make people follow him. But Zoro naturally draws people in check out bird cage where every one was down to follow "Zoro senpai's Lead".

Zoro is just as much of a leader as Luffy is with an ability to attract strong allies tho Luffy is better at attracting, Zoro is better at leading like being level headed, making smart decisions. Zoro was doing leadership heavy hitting in water 7 when Luffy and Nami were all emotions

And of course Zoro is a conqueror, a King with ambition of a King. Conqueror's Haki is literally associated with conquering, with leading
Zoro wouldnt be as far as he is without luffy and the strawhats. Luffy needs zoro just as much as zoro needs him. Just like luffy needs all the strawhats
Rayleigh was a conqueror too but before roger he was just aimlessly chilling and never lead a crew of his own

Zoro wouldnt be as far as he is without luffy and the strawhats. Luffy needs zoro just as much as zoro needs him. Just like luffy needs all the strawhats
Rayleigh was a conqueror too but before roger he was just aimlessly chilling and never lead a crew of his own
Yeah but Zoro wasn't aimless chilling, he has ridiculously crazy determination and was always focused on his goal. Of course it depends on the mindset, how much Zoro is actually trying.

I think you are forgetting Sanji was just as impressed by Zoro if not more than he was by Luffy which was crucial to him joining. He's like "These crazy guys would die for their ambitions", that kinda mindset would resonate with strong of the new world.

But like it would depend, Zoro would go as far as he would want to go.
He would be worst gen member and with him Luffy would have a legitimate rival, a role Law and Kidd can not fulfil due to being exceptionally weak.

Yeah but Zoro wasn't aimless chilling, he has ridiculously crazy determination and was always focused on his goal. Of course it depends on the mindset, how much Zoro is actually trying.

I think you are forgetting Sanji was just as impressed by Zoro if not more than he was by Luffy which was crucial to him joining. He's like "These crazy guys would die for their ambitions", that kinda mindset would resonate with strong of the new world.

But like it would depend, Zoro would go as far as he would want to go.
He would be worst gen member and with him Luffy would have a legitimate rival, a role Law and Kidd can not fulfil due to being exceptionally weak.
Without meeting luffy he more than likely wouldn't progress as much as he did both distance wise or strength wise
Before meeting luffy and then mihawk zoro was too cocky for his own good and it likely would have got him killed without strawhat plot armor. He likely wouldn't have been able to find his way out the east blue without getting lost if we being honest 🗿