Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
After every single other princess4nakama hype train flopped, the fact that Oda can still manage to fool people with it will always deserve at least some praise from me.

Even if this was true, do you believe Oda is above doing things solely for the sake of shock factor?
I distinctly remember a “Jinbe will die/won’t join the crew” ideology that also fell by the wayside, no wonder you slipped so easily into the role of the fool again :luffyswat:

True, Oda does have the final say. But, he's not writing this story just for himself, he's trying to write a story that inspires and entertains the people reading/watching it. Look at this quote and see what I mean.

So when you take a character that's extremely popular and a fan favorite for a good majority of the community and have them basically say "You know what? fuck those hopes and dreams I've had for literally my entire life. I'm going to do the thing that my abusive father has been trying to force me to do for 20 years." Might send a wrong message to the community, especially the younger target audience.

That is unless something good comes out of Yamato staying beyond just having her stay.
You're conflating two very different things here. I don't know a single mangaka/author that intentionally tries to let their fans down regarding the quality of their work (which is what Oda was talking about here). It is however, often part of the trade to subvert readers expectations and keep the story unpredictable. A tendency notoriously associated with Oda, which his interviews prove he absolutely delights in.

Also, not a single person that I'm aware of has ever even suggested that Yamao would be forced to stay on Wano against her will. The arguments are only relating to her maturing and growing as a character. There are many very obvious benefits to her staying with Momo and the people of Wano. Far better excuses than Oda's provided in the past for characters to not set out on adventures with the crew.
Considering the audience is the lifeblood of any manga, I would say that stories are dictated by how it keeps readers reading.
In the opening chapters to gather an audience? Definitely. But if 1000+ chapters in, you're writing your story solely dependant on gimmicky fan service, then that's one stinky series. One in which you're not the author, but your fans are. Oda especially does not give a fuck in this regard. He will happily dedicate more chapters to Luffy fighting gifters and fat shits than he would a calamity or straw hat fight. He hates when even his editors give him too many suggestions. Let alone being at the whims of his millions of fans.
What is going to counter the sad or negative feelings of Yamato not joining?
Nothing. We'll be dancing for joy that he finally flushed the toilet. It was beyond rancid.
If this didn't happen then the arc would've ended in a sad and somber note going forward to the next arc, instead of the feelings of hype and interest that helps readers stick with a story.
On a serious note though, not necessarily.
This was an amazing end to the arc. Oda could've left it like that as the very fitting albeit bittersweet end. Robin joining the crew wasn't because Vivi didn't join, but because Robin was always going to join.

Is Yamao gonna get a Vivi-esque farewell too then? Nope, cause she didn't have even a fraction of the impact that Vivi did on the saga and the crew. There's no need for a big scene or a grand justification. She was introduced out of nowhere at the very end of a decade of narrative build up. She can disappear just as quickly without any loss to the story.

But if we still need a morale boost, Carrot could do the job just fine. Far more popular, better established in the story and with an infinitely more intimate relationship with the crew.
I should mention it's getting late for me where I'm at so I'll pick up any massive replies tomorrow. :goyea:
No worries.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
True, Oda does have the final say. But, he's not writing this story just for himself, he's trying to write a story that inspires and entertains the people reading/watching it. Look at this quote and see what I mean.

So when you take a character that's extremely popular and a fan favorite for a good majority of the community and have them basically say "You know what? fuck those hopes and dreams I've had for literally my entire life. I'm going to do the thing that my abusive father has been trying to force me to do for 20 years." Might send a wrong message to the community, especially the younger target audience.

That is unless something good comes out of Yamato staying beyond just having her stay.

Considering the audience is the lifeblood of any manga, I would say that stories are dictated by how it keeps readers reading. The best way to do this is by having them always want to know what happens next. You would want to set up expectations and anticipation for future events that will keep the reader's attention.

About your example, I think more people would be pissed that Oda used one of his weaker qualities (Can't kill characters) in literally the worst way possible than being hyped with a tag team vs Akainu. That is unless that fight is good enough to make up for that disappointing development. Which is the core of what I was getting at with this point. If you're going to subvert the audience's expectations then the results of that decision need to matter past the initial shocking moment.

Ex: Vivi is expected to join -> She stays behind to support her country -> The mysterious Nico Robin joins the crew by surprise!

Any sad or negative feelings from Vivi not joining the crew is countered by Robin joining, who at this point was an ex-antagonist, had a unique power that has a lot of room for creativity, and was very mysterious in general as she is tied with the Poneglyph's and the secrets they hold. This moment builds expectation and anticipation for the future of the series.

If this didn't happen then the arc would've ended in a sad and somber note going forward to the next arc, instead of the feelings of hype and interest that helps readers stick with a story.

What about Yamato?

Yamato is expected to join -> She stays behind to support her country -> ???

What is going to counter the sad or negative feelings of Yamato not joining that will build expectations and anticipation for the future of the series?

It's more than diehard fans for the character, it's everyone that likes her character and wants her to join. I'm a Carrot fan and would choose Carrot if I had to pick one or the other, but I would be disappointed as well if she stays with no payoff. It'd be a spit-in-the-face moment for general expectations and a waste of a cool character with potential.
Post automatically merged:

I should mention it's getting late for me where I'm at so I'll pick up any massive replies tomorrow. :goyea:
Thing is, Oda never changes major plot points. He makes alterations yes, but major things like the SHs remain the same. Vivi was never supposed to join the SHs(preskip at least), but Oda liked her with the crew so much that he considered changing course and making her join. Stuck with the original plan of course.

All we know right now is that Oda said that at least one more person is joining after Jinbe and has repeatedly alluded to 10 recruits. Whatever happens, Oda most likely planned it from the beginning.

Momonosuke Kozuki and Yamato are linked with similarities.
  1. Momo is technically 28. Yamato is 28.
  2. Yamato's father Kaido killed Momo's father Oden. However, Yamato "is" Oden.
  3. Momo recently ate an artificial Dragon Devil Fruit so is inexperienced with powers. Yamato knows how the dragon powers work because Yamato has observed and fought Kaido, who has the Dragon Devil Fruit powers, for 20+ years.
  4. Momo wants to be Shogun. Kaido wants Yamato to be Shogun.
  5. Both are against Kaido.
Yamato is staying in Wano because:
  1. Yamato's Devil Fruit was described as a/the "Guardian Deity of Wano". How could Yamato guard Wano traveling on the seas? Yamato seems ready to embrace that role.
  2. Yamato wants to be a accepted by people of Wano and a great start is helping overthrow Kaido.
Yamato is not a future Strawhat because:
  1. Yamato did not have a personal two-way relationship with Oden. Not yet displayed if there is such a relationship. This is different than the current Strawhat crewmates and their past relationships with important figures.
  2. Luffy does not seemed interested in recruiting Yamato. No starry eyes. No obvious ship role need. Luffy hasn't even seen Yamato's transformations. Yamato traveling with Luffy and crew has been one-sided with Yamato's exclamations. If Yamato leaves Wano on the Sunny, it seems more as a guest instead as a Strawhat member akin to Law and potential guests Caribou and X Drake.
Yamato and Momo are a future tag team of Mythical Devil Fruit users. They already have a developing bond.
  1. Yamato talking about and giving Oden's log book to Momo.
  2. Momo hiding in Yamato's clothes.
  3. Yamato hitting Momo in Dragon form.
  4. Yamato explaining the cloud creating/grabbing power of a dragon to Momo.
  5. Future development of how Yamato will respond to grown up Momo alluded to looking like Oden.
Yamato does not need to leave with Luffy to get out of Wano. Yamato could help protect and restore Wano first then leave on a ship with Momo and retainers during the final battles. Yamato has waited 20 years. What's another couple of weeks/months?
It's not about easy but Luffy's reasoning which is Oda's reasoning.

Luffy doesn't seem interested in Yamato. Oda has not put Luffy in a situation to observe Yamato for a defining moment for an invitation decision. They fought briefly, talked about Oden's Log book, split off, met shortly against Kaido, then split off again. At least let Luffy see Yamato's transformations. Luffy hasn't even seen a Mink turn Sulong. Why the avoidance by Oda?

How long does it generally take for Luffy to invite someone to be in his crew? What are Luffy's reasons to ask?
  1. Luffy was already contemplating inviting Zoro before they met based on Coby's scary description of Zoro. Made up his mind after seeing Zoro eat that dirtied sweet rice ball.
  2. Zoro approved of Nami's navigation skills before they met. Luffy invited Nami as soon as Luffy knew Nami was a navigator. Luffy took back the invitation when he thought she was bad. Reinvited when he realized she was not bad. Helps Nami after she runs away.
  3. Told Usopp to hop on Merry when they were leaving. I believe once Luffy knew Usopp was Yasopp's son that Usopp would be invited, maybe already a crewmate in Luffy's mind hence why it wasn't a formal invitation. Luffy accepts Usopp's apology to rejoin.
  4. Invited Sanji once Luffy saw Sanji was a good cook. Luffy refused Sanji's refusal. Rescues Sanji from Big Mom after Sanji ran away.
  5. Invited Chopper based off Chopper's 7 transformations. Nami invited Chopper because Chopper is a doctor. Luffy refused Chopper's refusal.
  6. Robin self invited herself because Luffy rescued a suicidal Robin were Robin's previous acts let Luffy determine Robin was not a bad person. Robin's ship role was hinted at the end of Alabasta and expanded once on board the Merry. Helps Robin realize she wants to live and rescues her from the World Government after she runs away.
  7. Franky has similarities to Luffy's shipwright drawing before Water 7. Invited Franky because the Franky Family wanted Franky to leave Water 7 because of Franky's bounty, needed a shipwright, and Luffy was pleased shipwright Franky built their new ship Sunny. Franky's dream also requires Franky to travel on his dream ship.
  8. Luffy almost immediately invited Brook on the spot. Brook had multiple attributes and connections foreshadowed throughout the series: musician, Laboon, and afro that Luffy summarizes. After accepting then declining, Brook reaccepts after his shadow was saved.
  9. Introduced in Arlong Arc. In Impel Down and Marineford, Luffy and Jinbe were together trying to rescue Ace. Afterwards, Jinbe helped Luffy cope with the loss of Ace. Later, the Strawhats and Jinbe save Fishman Island from Hody Jones where Luffy invites Jinbe during a memorable blood transfusion. After initially declining, Jinbe officially joins the Strawhats in front of Big Mom which Luffy is joyful about. It just so happens Jinbe is a fantastic helmsman which said position was introduced with Burgess back in Jaya.
The trend seems to be more build up for each subsequent crewmate. The later a crewmate joins, then the more setup has been displayed in the series. Where is Yamato's setup? A vivre card made for Ace that Ace gave one piece of it to Luffy...which is gone since Ace is dead. IMO, a better setup if Yamato were a future crewmate is if Ace would have also gave Luffy Yamato's vivre card saying something like "Free this person if something happens to me" or at least mentioned some characteristic of Yamato to Luffy. It gives us the reader something to speculate.

And the other invitees:
  1. Gaimon has a shrub afro. An Oda favorite.
  2. Crocus is a doctor.
  3. Dr. Kureha is a doctor.
  4. Vivi was a red herring for Robin.
  5. Iceberg is a shipwright.
  6. Old Tree Guy Zombie and Unicorn Zombie because ...? It never was explored.
  7. Kin'emon's legs for Luffy to be a centaur.
  8. Leopard Centaur because...centaur.

I ask again, what reason does Luffy want Yamato on the crew? From past experiences, it would be because Luffy sees Yamato as a good person. Well that's not a unique enough reason as Luffy knows plenty of good people that were not invited. Same principle with Yamato's strength. But since Yamato is a good strong person, Luffy may accept Yamato as a guest but another self invitation as a crewmate without similar depth like Robin's setup seems unlikely.

And did you just write future shogun Momo is not the successor of Oden, Momo's father and someone who was supposed to be shogun, but some random stan in Yamato is Oden's successor?
:odenugh:

But that's not Luffy's (King of the Pirates) crew though...besides Whitebeard stated too many CoC users on a crew doesn't work per experience. The question is were they active CoC users before invited by Xebec or awakened as crewmates? IMO, it seems to be the former.

I could see Oda having some of the current crewmates awaken their CoC haki like Nami (Money Queen, Weather Queen, Queen of Witches), Usopp (Sniper King, God Usopp), or Sanji (Mr. Prince, Cook King) but inviting a CoC user right away is questionable as Zoro (King of Hell) just learned to use CoC with Enma. The readers have seen that growth from Zoro. Yamato would be a CoC throw-in. What is Yamato conquering? What would be a potential title?

Your reasoning for thinking Yamato will be invited is fanmade rules. It's all an analysis of our observations.

Going by past invitations, Yamato lacks foreshadowing, a known needed ship role, or connections.

I mentioned Usopp, Franky, Brook, and Jinbe because that part of their childhood can be explored, would be something fans would want to know, and gives depth to their characters. If Yamato has more to their character besides copying a character that didn't even acknowledge their existence or copying moves from the father they hate, then it would be nice to see but not sure it's something Oda needs to explore for Yamato as a crewmate. That resolution could be explored with potential partner Momo as they are linked with similarities.

Not really. The narrative is Yamato wants to ride Luffy's ship to explore the seas and be free. That dream would be complete once they sail outside of Wano. Not a likely scenario. So Yamato needs a more defined end goal. Maybe Oda's holding it for some grand reveal but I doubt it especially how Yamato blurts out whatever with no filter.

But we shall see. Just be ready to have your copium if Yamato doesn't join.
:jackcopium:
Luffy has barely said Carrot’s name more than twice and hasn’t had any meaningful interactions with her since they pushed off from Zou, but tell me more about how he’s not interested in Yamato, or let’s agree that showing zero interest in a potential nakama works for both cases…he’s known the former for weeks in the canon and the latter for a couple of hours, and yet, we have at least as many panels of the protagonist interacting directly with Yamato as we do Carrot. Truly, none of y’all have been able to explain why the lack of evidence only works against the character you don’t like when it can be applied just as easily to the one you do :kayneshrug:
What does that have to do with what I stated? Was it TL;DR?
:kuzanshut:
From the chapter Kaido was revealed to have a kid, Yamato was setup to join. Jinbe's toast was delayed for the party and in the same chapter, Kaido mentions that his kid needs to show up or she'll miss it. Ace promised over sake to come back for her and Luffy has been here resolving all the plot threads he couldn't finish. The 2 chapters of the flashback is even called "The Sake I Brewed to Drink With You, Straw Hat Luffy" when combined and the Jinbe toast had them holding sake. This is all very apparent setup for her to be at the party and share the sake toast with the SHs, which only happens with new members.

If you want to nitpick about setup in previous arcs (which I feel like you are), Oda revealed in the last OP magazine that he intentionally paralleled Ace's dialogue about the vivre cards in Alabasta with Yamato in the flashback so that Luffy was indirectly hearing her words to meet her. This combined with the fact that Ace went on a spill about looking forward to Luffy shows that Oda is placing an importance on their meeting beyond just Yamato knowing him already.

So you insist on trends/patterns but demand Yamato has something unique. You listed people Luffy invited for the most comedic reasons but argue Yamato wouldn't even be on his radar. Sounds like you're just doing some nitpicky gatekeeping.

It literally takes 2 seconds to compare Yamato vs Oden and Momo vs Oden and figure that out. Momo has been crying about not being like his father at all this entire arc and you think he's the next Oden in that narrative? When the whole parallel is that Yamato is taking after Oden's image while Momo is taking after Kaido's image? :odenugh:

Whitebeard had 3 coc users on his crew. Roger had 4 users (3 if you don't count Shanks) at the same time. WB very clearly was not talking about haki. This argument is bad.

Not only is none of this hinted at whatsoever or needed, Yamato could get the same treatment since there's still a lot we don't know in her childhood.

Her dream is to go on an adventure of a lifetime like Oden and that's not something she can get on any ship or the moment she gets on one.

Be ready for your copium when Oda takes the obvious route he made with the most blatant setup :jackcopium:
Are you saying Yamato made sake? Brewer?

So Oda made sure Ace's words to Luffy were the same as Yamato's were to Ace. So? It's foreshadowing after the fact. Was it planned all along or fit later to bring more depth to an arc character in Yamato? Unknown.

Nitpicking? Gatekeeping? Nah. It's analyzing the previous invitation examples. Luffy has invited so far based on attributes to his liking or ship needs. Does Luffy like Yamato's horns? Maybe. Maybe not. Transformations? Luffy hasn't seen them. Ship role? Undefined. What does Luffy like about Yamato?

The trend would have Yamato have a bigger setup than what has been displayed. As big as Brook's or Jinbe's. Maybe bigger. Maybe there's more Yamato foreshadowing out there but it seems unlikely.

Image switch??? Who would Oden Kozuki say his successor is? Show me the panels of conversations Oden and Yamato had?
:queenhear:
It doesn't matter if it's Luffy's crew or not... That "too many CoC users" statement may further reinforce having CoC user Yamato joining, like Roger, Luffy will succeed... Take note that WB's and Kaido's experience is from Xebec, a failed man... Again, if they're active CoC members during Rocks Pirates doesn't matter... Let's say they were: WB, BM, Kaido, then it still makes sense for Luffy: Zoro, Yamato, Usopp...

Lacks foreshadowing? Are you sure? Since the timeskip, she's been foreshadowed via those other SH candidates/characters that people feel may join... As per the ship role, we have yet to see what Yamato can do during "peace time" as she was introduced during "war time"...
I didn't say Strawhats can't have multiple CoC users. After all this is the future Pirate King's crew. I quoted Whitebeard's perspective. IMO, it should be organic. Growth from within the crew. Luffy has been unconsciously using CoC pre-timeskip. Zoro just unleashed his through his new sword. Yamato already displaying a rare haki type cheapens the experience. Some of the other crewmates awakening CoC would be more satisfying, IMO.

Pretty sure. What do you mean foreshadowed by other SH candidates/characters?

What's her "peace time" role?
Luffy didn't show interest in Robin joining at all. She invited herself at the end of an arc and said why not. Luffy didn't show his interest for Franky joining until after Enies Lobby, after the big battle with CP9. Luffy didnt show interest in Jinbe joining until the latter saved Luffy's again at the end of Fishman Island. Luffy not showing particular interest in Yamato during the arc climax isn't an argument against the shitty Nami clone.

As for foreshadowing, every SH was foreshadowed by other SHs, and they share striking similarities with each other.

Zoro-Chopper-Jinbe
-all 3 had the rep of being monsters
-all 3 were introduced tied to something
-Luffy saved something of great importance to them(Zoro's swords, Hiliuk's flag, Fishman Island)
-the villains for each were arrogant shitheads hated by their own people for making their lives hell(Morgan forced everyone to worship him or die, Wapol banished all doctors from his kingdom, Hody was known as a thug and attacked his own kind)
-The need for a doctor was first mentioned by Zoro, with a doctor saying the SHs really need a doc for someone like Zoro. In Arlong Park, Zoro's shirt was the same pattern and color scheme as Jinbe's skin and sideburns).

Usopp-Franky
-both were known as troublemakers in their hometowns
-both lead a gang named after them
-both got into a serious fight with Luffy
-both joined after the SHs got a new ship
-the villains of both arcs involved infiltration, framing and betrayal.
-Usopp foreshadowed Franky by being the first one to mention a need for one. He said he can't fix up the Sunny that well cause he ain't a shipwright

Sanji-Brook
-both were introduced on a ship with tea
-both are gentleman perverts
-both were tied to a place because of regret and a promise
-the villains of both were materialistic, wanting the best resources to do the work for them
-Sanji foreshadowed Brook by imagining himself as a dead skeleton with hair

Now on to Nami-Robin and how Yamato similar.
-all 3 didn't have a good first meeting with Luffy(Luffy was annoyed by Nami and said he wantes nothing to so with her. Luffy yelled at Robin and said he hated her. Luffy got into a fight with Yamato saying he doesn't care what she has to say and was in a hurry).
-all 3 tried to bare everything alone but ended up receiving help, with a big theme of them having their freedom stolen
-the villains of all 3 tried to dictate what their fate and destiny was(Arlong said Nami's fate was draw maps for him. Spandam and Lucci said Robin's fate was to serve the WG. Kaido said Yamato's fate was to stay in Wano for his sake.)
-the villains of all 3 were beasts with a superior complex due to their race or background
-Nami foreshadowed Robin by wearing her Miss Sunday outfit in Loguetown. Momo called Nami a princess for saving him, with Sanji, Brooke and Kinemon calling him a demon. Yamato is known as the demon princess and saved Momo
Luffy said "Why not" knowing from his past interactions with Robin that she's a good person plus Luffy was the only reason Robin was alive. Franky is a shipwright. After everything happened Luffy had a new ship thanks to Franky. Luffy went though hell with Jinbe. Their setups led to an invitation or acceptance. I've stated Yamato declaring to be a Strawhat with a self invitation needs depth like Robin's. However, Yamato's bond with Momonosuke bears the most focus. Yamato needs more focus with Luffy.

Some of that isn't foreshadowing. Momo being called a demon doesn't connect to Yamato.

Or too general. Zoro and Sanji seriously fought Luffy too. Color schemes don't matter in the manga.

You expect another pervy gentleman crewmate? Another troublemaker that leads a gang? Seems contrived.

How many crewmates in all you think will be joining including Luffy? That logic points to 13.

Did you say "shitty Nami clone"!?
:kailaugh:
Okay one thing that almost all strawhats have in common is a dream or goal so to say.
And Yamato wants to leave wano and travel freely. Luffy is not gonna deny her her wish and he has never declined a person who asked to join the crew.
Robin asked he accepted, brook asked after rejecting Luffy and he accepted. Vivi asked if they could travel with them to Wheatley peak and he said yes. What makes you believe he is gonna say no to Yamato???
Lots of characters have dreams and goals. Doesn't mean they get invited to become crewmates. Yamato's dream has no defined end goal. Yamato does not have to ride Sunny with Luffy to travel the seas and be free. And Yamato declaring it doesn't make it so.
Kaido called Yamato the guardian deity because that's the role he assigned her in his overall scheme

Yamato wants to save wano because of her admiration for Oden and the samurai and belief that Kaido shouldn't be oppressing them and hates how they are treated
She never showed any desire for their approval, she never wanted anyone's approval, just to beat Kaido, free Wano and live as freely as she could
Yamato can live free in Wano. It's been home for 20+ years. Yamato doesn't have to leave Wano when the Strawhats do. Yamato will be free to do it after helping rebuild Wano.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Luffy said "Why not" knowing from his past interactions with Robin that she's a good person plus Luffy was the only reason Robin was alive. Franky is a shipwright. After everything happened Luffy had a new ship thanks to Franky. Luffy went though hell with Jinbe. Their setups led to an invitation or acceptance. I've stated Yamato declaring to be a Strawhat with a self invitation needs depth like Robin's. However, Yamato's bond with Momonosuke bears the most focus. Yamato needs more focus with Luffy.
Luffy spent more time with Yamato than he did Robin in Alabasta, and built a better relationship. With Robin, all he knew was that she was a good person and that was enough for him. He knows Yamato is a good person as well.

Some of that isn't foreshadowing. Momo being called a demon doesn't connect to Yamato.
It's only real foreshadowing if Yamato joins.

Or too general. Zoro and Sanji seriously fought Luffy too. Color schemes don't matter in the manga.
When did I mention color schemes? The Luffy fights is a very minor point

You expect another pervy gentleman crewmate? Another troublemaker that leads a gang? Seems contrived.
No I don't. I believe only 10 will join. I'm only bringing up similarities in hindsight.

How many crewmates in all you think will be joining including Luffy? That logic points to 13.
11. We have no idea to think Oda will switch up the routine

Did you say "shitty Nami clone"!?
:kailaugh:
Oh my bad. I meant the useless waste of space of that's better.

All in all, point is that Oda loves reusing plot points. I pointed how even the arc structure of the SH counterparts are similar in theme. Oda even reuses preskip plot points for postskip but in reverse.[/QUOTE]

So with the Sunny stranded on the seas outside of Wano, and world government ships all over, someone not in onigashima will be coming to it’s rescue and meet the straw hats in wano. Wonder who that’ll be. My moneys on vivi and Sabo
Likely Sabo, if not Dragon... RA helping Wano would be a necessity, especially that the WG targets the country...

Vivi will definitely sail with the Straw Hats again, but I think a little after Wano. I don't believe she'll ever be an offical member
She'll probably return just before Laugh Tale... I believe she deserves to go there...

I didn't say Strawhats can't have multiple CoC users. After all this is the future Pirate King's crew. I quoted Whitebeard's perspective. IMO, it should be organic. Growth from within the crew. Luffy has been unconsciously using CoC pre-timeskip. Zoro just unleashed his through his new sword. Yamato already displaying a rare haki type cheapens the experience. Some of the other crewmates awakening CoC would be more satisfying, IMO.

Pretty sure. What do you mean foreshadowed by other SH candidates/characters?

What's her "peace time" role?
Point still stands... Do note that Chopper joined when he already can transform beyond the 3-form limit of a Zoan... And it shouldn't matter on the grand scale of the story at this point, IMO, that Yamato possesses a Haki that rare... It seems cheaper to think that while Roger can have Bullet Oden, Luffy can't just because Yamato's rare skills was developed prior to joining... Again, we're nearing the end... Almost half of the crew still are Hakidiots, if someone has to join, it has to be someone that needs less development powerwise, like Jinbe, for obvious reasons...

About the foreshadowing, ICYMI:
Why settle for Caribou (planned to join the SHs), Kin'emon (disguised as Momo's father), Momo (ate DF out of hunger), Monet (has DF-based snow ability), Caesar (uncuffed to help the alliance), Rebecca (locked down in Corrida Colosseum), Bartolomeo (hoping to meet Luffy and the SHs), Carrot (wanted to travel outside Zou), Pudding (a Yonko's daughter) or Tama (wanted to join Ace) as the next SH when we have Yamato (planned to join the SHs, disguised as Oden; ate DF out of hunger; has DF-based ice ability; uncuffed to help the alliance; locked down in Onigashima; hoping to meet Luffy and the SHs; wanted to travel outside Wano; a Yonko's daughter; wanted to join Ace) who is a full package?

All those people whom you thought would possibly be the next SH, are just foreshadows and red herring for the real next SH...

:pepecafe:
A better question would be WHEN is that "peace time" going to happen so that we'll see Yamato's role... I'm really finding it weird for you anti-Yamato people to ask her ship role during war time (her introductory period)... Imagine if Sanji was introduced during war time, will you know that he's a cook?

Are you saying Yamato made sake? Brewer?
Did you just read the word sake and nothing else in that paragraph?? :nicagesmile:
So Oda made sure Ace's words to Luffy were the same as Yamato's were to Ace. So? It's foreshadowing after the fact. Was it planned all along or fit later to bring more depth to an arc character in Yamato? Unknown.
For one, I said setup in previous arcs and that's factually what that is now. If you go back to Alabasta and read that line, that's now setup for Yamato hundreds of chapters later. My point being that it says something that Oda is using this much detail to connect Luffy to Yamato. For him to use something as minute as dialogue connection and also the chapter 999 + 1000 titles.
Nitpicking? Gatekeeping? Nah. It's analyzing the previous invitation examples. Luffy has invited so far based on attributes to his liking or ship needs. Does Luffy like Yamato's horns? Maybe. Maybe not. Transformations? Luffy hasn't seen them. Ship role? Undefined. What does Luffy like about Yamato?
And guess what, I used a previous invitation example that you tried to brush away since it destroys your point. Luffy wasn't interested right away with multiple SHs and for some, it took all the way until after the arc battles for him to show explicit interest. That also doesn't change how it takes very little to be on his radar. You literally just have to be a good person and catch his eye in some way, Yamato did that numerous times like saving him from Ulti and holding back Kaido from destroying all of the alliance.
The trend would have Yamato have a bigger setup than what has been displayed. As big as Brook's or Jinbe's. Maybe bigger. Maybe there's more Yamato foreshadowing out there but it seems unlikely.
Not only does that argument fall flat in your own list, I already explained Yamato's setup. You just looked at two words and started strawmanning,
Image switch??? Who would Oden Kozuki say his successor is? Show me the panels of conversations Oden and Yamato had?
I guess Luffy isn't the next Roger since they never had conversations. :crazwhat::crazwhat:

Status
Not open for further replies.