Controversial The defenitive thread about swordsmanship skills and titles.

When will people realise that DR Zoro and DR Law were WSS candidates already?
WSS is based on sword skills (especially cutting feats) that's why they bring up Zoro and Law feats od cutting mountains/golems as candidate feats for next WSS...
This alone tells you being WSS isn't much when Mihawk & Yonko Shanks are being debated with DR zoro , Law for the title.

Young Shanks is hyped for matching Great swordmaster , WSS Mihawk

In swordmanship:
Mihawk >~ Vista >~ Ushimaru > Shanks >~ Zoro
In haki : Shanks > Mihawk > Zoro > Vista/ Ushimaru
Overall : Shanks > Mihawk > Zoro > Vista >Ushimaru

Even Oden (the samurai Roger/Luffy) isn't called "Great Swordmaster" because he's a freak of nature.

Stop comparing WSS to WSM & WSC
One is a specific fighting style Title while the the latter 2 covers every single creature/man (doesn't matter your rank or work or fighting style, race...)
Btw Both WB and Kaido also held the titles of WSP.

Oda never brought up Kaido skills
When Oda talks about kaido via Brannew, He says "his sheer strength/power " not "his skills".

Roger doesn't have cutting attacks. His attack was a blast which went through Oden. Never cut his clothes or his body.
Shanks has blasting moves as Red movie shows it.
Swordsmen have cutting attacks.
Zoro with CoC still does cutting /slashing moves not Blasting moves like Roger and Shanks or Kaido do with their CoC
You rn:

Stephen wasn't the Viz translator at the start of OP and Viz was known for its horrible translations. He was later made the official translator after which Viz had pretty consistent quality. These translations are his from when he was not a viz translator but doing it for the community.

I'm telling you again and again.

Mihawk has not one but 2 epithets.
"Sekaiichi no Daikengou" - "Greatest SwordMaster in the World" or " #1 Daikengou"
"Sekai SAIKYO no Kenshi" - "Worlds STRONGEST Swordsman."

Zoro's dream is to become the Greatest/#1 Daikengou, and he himself interprets it as becoming the Strongest Kenshi.

In the recent chapter, TCB fucked up and used the former when the epithet used was the later. Viz later on corrected it.
Then i retract my argument given i was ignorant for this Viz and the that fact that its translated as Strongest in the recent chapter too which basically where i hit the wall before you bought up Stephen's translations

The whole point way revolved around
the titles zoro's goal, and Shank's skill
essentially even if what i was trying to prove was Mihawk blatantly superior skill given his title and then epithet as Dai kengo and Shank's called Kengo would only bolster why mihawk even with greater skill couldn't triumph over Shanks who just had inferior skill. of course vice versa is true too as its stated in Shanks's VC he fought toe to toe with Mihawk with the level of swordsmanship he had..

This leaves me with only narrative arguments.. i thought the semantics would simplify thing but nah its much more vague even tho there aren't much assumptions involved but rather logical deductions to prove they Shanks /=/> Mihawk and vice versa its a whole different conversation I'll save for later.

for now enough of this clown fest. i take my L.. and apologies if i went overboard with insults.

Then i retract my argument given i was ignorant for this Viz and the that fact that its translated as Strongest in the recent chapter too which basically where i hit the wall before you bought up Stephen's translations

The whole point way revolved around
the titles zoro's goal, and Shank's skill
essentially even if what i was trying to prove was Mihawk blatantly superior skill given his title and then epithet as Dai kengo and Shank's called Kengo would only bolster why mihawk even with greater skill couldn't triumph over Shanks who just had inferior skill. of course vice versa is true too as its stated in Shanks's VC he fought toe to toe with Mihawk with the level of swordsmanship he had..

This leaves me with only narrative arguments.. i thought the semantics would simplify thing but nah its much more vague even tho there aren't much assumptions involved but rather logical deductions to prove they Shanks /=/> Mihawk and vice versa its a whole different conversation I'll save for later.

for now enough of this clown fest. i take my L.. and apologies if i went overboard with insults.
You the real man my bud. :zehaha:
My advice, dont let this get to you. It's just a stupid manga powerscaling, if you get too upset over it, just leave it alone or take a break.

When will people realise that DR Zoro and DR Law were WSS candidates already?
WSS is based on sword skills (especially cutting feats) that's why they bring up Zoro and Law feats od cutting mountains/golems as candidate feats for next WSS...
This alone tells you being WSS isn't much when Mihawk & Yonko Shanks are being debated with DR zoro , Law for the title.

Young Shanks is hyped for matching Great swordmaster , WSS Mihawk

In swordmanship:
Mihawk >~ Vista >~ Ushimaru > Shanks >~ Zoro
In haki : Shanks > Mihawk > Zoro > Vista/ Ushimaru
Overall : Shanks > Mihawk > Zoro > Vista >Ushimaru

Even Oden (the samurai Roger/Luffy) isn't called "Great Swordmaster" because he's a freak of nature.

Stop comparing WSS to WSM & WSC
One is a specific fighting style Title while the the latter 2 covers every single creature/man (doesn't matter your rank or work or fighting style, race...)
Btw Both WB and Kaido also held the titles of WSP.

Oda never brought up Kaido skills
When Oda talks about kaido via Brannew, He says "his sheer strength/power " not "his skills".

Roger doesn't have cutting attacks. His attack was a blast which went through Oden. Never cut his clothes or his body.
Shanks has blasting moves as Red movie shows it.
Swordsmen have cutting attacks.
Zoro with CoC still does cutting /slashing moves not Blasting moves like Roger and Shanks or Kaido do with their CoC
Everything you posted has already been countered several times.

You, like others, are trying to limit what power/skill/ability can or are used with swordsmanship.

Skill is defined as the ability to do something well. That can be applied to anything from running to reading to fighting.

Swordsmanship or sword fighting refers to the skills and techniques used in combat and training with any type of sword.

All that means swordsmanship can and does includes powers like invincible speed, super strength, haki, DF and more. That whole skill argument that continues to be used is stupid and dumb.

Haki is important to swordsmanship. A swordman will never become a strong swordsman, swordmaster, or even a great swordmaster if they don't have incredibly powerful haki and aren't able to use it skillfully.

Zoro attacking with ACoC haki and CoA.

WSS is no different than WSM or WSC except for the fact you have to be a swordsman. Anybody or creature from anywhere could be a swordsman.

Nowhere in the manga hasn't showed or stated Shanks' haki is stronger than Mihawk's.

This "Shanks and Rogers don't use sword to cut" argument doesn't make any sense.

1 - Swords our weapons designed to cut. Why are Shanks and Roger using swords if they don't want to cut? That doesn't make any sense. Why wouldn't they use blunt weapons instead?

2 - Not cutting is part of swordsmanship. Being unable to control your cutting power means you're not a strong swordsman. Strong swordsman have that power cut or to not cut. A better way to put it is to only cut what they wish to come. Roger performing an incredible powerful attack and not cutting Oden helps the argument he is a strong swordsman like Mihawk.

3 - You use Oden as part of your argument who not only was a samurai or Wano swordsman, he has some of the strongest cutting power in the manga.

Using CoC blast/burst without cutting doesn't mean you're not a swordsman.

Shanks can flow CoC through his sword to create CoC burst without using it to cut.

Guess what? Zoro can do the same.

Here is Zoro flowing CoC through his sword to create CoC burst without using it to cut.

It doesn't have many arguments or post everyone create it will never counter manga facts.

Mihawk and Shanks are both swordsman. Mihawk is overall stronger.

Last edited:
It does coz greatest is not necessarily the strongest

+

kengo the Japanese kanji is used for sword master is someone who's master of an art of Kenjutu.... Dai Kengo is someone greater.. and Since Shanks is just kengo..and Mihawk is superior in skill so wonder he's the greatest swrosamaster or swordman in the world.

that doesn't Mean Shanks > Mihawk
coz in shanks viver card it clearly states that they were going toe to toe with each other before Shanks lost his arm.

and 10 year later would you sitll think he's

you dumb twat 7_7 the Baratie zoro flashback uses Saikyo kanji and Viz translates it as Greatest.
Mihawk is waiting for someone MORE than SHANKS to challenge him. It's over. Manga, databooks and flashcards all indicate that the STRONGEST AND GREATEST SWORDSMAN Mihouk > swordsman Shanks

This is my first time entering this thread, and I don't wanna read over 30 pages. But basically the guy who started this thread made a novel about how the "kengou" shit works and the whole point was that shanks isn't a "master swordsman" (but is still a swordsman......dunno if he realizes he is shitting on shanks right here) but is still a great swordsman. But in the end, shanks is also directly called a master swordsman?

This is my first time entering this thread, and I don't wanna read over 30 pages. But basically the guy who started this thread made a novel about how the "kengou" shit works and the whole point was that shanks isn't a "master swordsman" (but is still a swordsman......dunno if he realizes he is shitting on shanks right here) but is still a great swordsman. But in the end, shanks is also directly called a master swordsman?
Yes, and all that based on non-cannon materials.

Basicaly they are saying vista>shanks and think they are somehow shitting on mihawk.
:kayneshrug:

Oda commented on a fan drawing on an image made of characters using swords
If WB had in that drawing holding his sword, Oda would have made the exact same comment, or do you think he would say, "everyone is swordsman except WB"
He would have commented differently if he thought that some of them were not swordsmen. SBS's Ode communicates with fans quite unceremoniously. But he agreed that they were swordsmen (and added from himself that they CUT PAINFULLY)

I have to show respect to all of you who have explained this in great detail. Shanks is/can be < Mihawk when it comes to sword skills or WSS/WGS title.

Oda is a marketing genius. He is the real winner here.

The thing is, readers like me dont know Mihawk's background. For me, Shanks is better due to his interactions with Luffy etc.

I see Mihawk as an ambitionless man whose purpose was to train/motivate Zoro.
I need more context to understand him.
Likewise, Oda could have developed Zoro's character in Wano. But he didnt.
Hopefully, we will see more of Mihawk, Shanks and Zoro as series approaches its end.