Questions & Mysteries If anybody can confirm these are real or not, we still dont know how Shanks fights

Also the ceiling thing when Kaido was thinkin of the fighters who are the shit and can harm him. There was Shanks but Mihawk was nowhere to be seen. Clearly Oda wants to maintain ambiguity for some reason.
with that one specifically tbf I think it only included people kaido ran into and I don't think Mihawk ever did.
it didn't include Blackbeard for instance who I think would certainly prove to be stronger than either of them but it is another point in shanks favor. I can go in length about Multiple top tiers irrespective of how they fight just seem to run into him and he seems to command a lot of respect when they clash.
kaido , wb , akainu , greenbull etc

That's something oda hasn't given Mihawk yet. people are always going to look beyond a title, how many people think Roger was weaker than wb cause the latter was the wsm...... yeah not many at all.

That comparison makes a lot of sense when you realize a lot of strong people don't stick to particular style of combat and shanks is a very noteworthy person who uses a sword.

I would not reduce big mom to a swordsman just cause she carries a sword, clearly more versatile.
I would not reduce Kizaru to one cause he has a light sword.
king the wildfire certainly didn't want to be reduced to one either.
ask yourself why strength wasn't used there which would have put this argument to bed but some vague term called sword skills was used instead. ask yourself why the author would say we know he uses a sword but how exactly does he fight?

what would be his point in insinuating that, should be obvious no ?how he fights with a sword?
so until he has, it will be argued because shanks simply is the better portrayed character of the two.
with that one specifically tbf I think it only included people kaido ran into and I don't think Mihawk ever did.
it didn't include Blackbeard for instance who I think would certainly prove to be stronger than either of them but it is another point in shanks favor. I can go in length about Multiple top tiers irrespective of how they fight just seem to run into him and he seems to command a lot of respect when they clash.

That's something oda hasn't given Mihawk yet. people are always going to look beyond a title, how many people think Roger was weaker than wb cause the latter was the wsm...... yeah not many at all.
Tbh, there are only 2 ways for Shanks to be stronger than Mihawk. Either:
1) Mihawk isn't the World's Strongest Swordsman
2) Shanks isn't a swordsman

The reason you see people saying Mihawk > Shanks was confirmed in ch. 1058 is because both of those 2 aforementioned ideas were made significantly, significantly more unlikely upon Mihawk's bounty description.

Yeah, maybe Shanks has been portrayed better in the eyes of casuals who only count hype scenes. But when you look at Mihawk being called the WSS and having a greater bounty than his Yonko "captain" who himself is called a pirate who rivals Shanks, those are points in Mihawk's favor. So sure, you can say Shanks has been treated better compared to Mihawk when it comes to his interactions with other strong characters, but Mihawk has been portrayed better when being compared to Shanks directly.

And honestly I do put WB >= Roger. Likewise, I think Shanks' best case is being more or less equal/even with Mihawk.

Junatic

Lunatic Queen

You're right, it could mean that, "could" bein the key word that shows things are ambiguous and there's no definitive answer.

BB's case's quite different cause he's growing stronger throughout the story, whereas we should assume Mihawk reached his prime a long time ago.

If I had to give my gut feeling, I'd say Shanks > Mihawk, though I know it's only my headcanon for now. But considering the factual evidences, ambiguity itself's not headcanon but a reality. And we gotta ask ourselves what's the point of this ambiguity in the first place.

Tbh, there are only 2 ways for Shanks to be stronger than Mihawk. Either:
1) Mihawk isn't the World's Strongest Swordsman
2) Shanks isn't a swordsman

The reason you see people saying Mihawk > Shanks was confirmed in ch. 1058 is because both of those 2 aforementioned ideas were made significantly, significantly more unlikely upon Mihawk's bounty description.

Yeah, maybe Shanks has been portrayed better in the eyes of casuals who only count hype scenes. But when you look at Mihawk being called the WSS and having a greater bounty than his Yonko "captain" who himself is called a pirate who rivals Shanks, those are points in Mihawk's favor. So sure, you can say Shanks has been treated better compared to Mihawk when it comes to his interactions with other strong characters, but Mihawk has been portrayed better when being compared to Shanks directly.

And honestly I do put WB >= Roger. Likewise, I think Shanks' best case is being more or less equal/even with Mihawk.
"And honestly I do put WB >= Roger. Likewise, I think Shanks' best case is being more or less equal/even with Mihawk"

factually its just = not >= with wb and Roger .

"Yeah, maybe Shanks has been portrayed better in the eyes of casuals who only count hype scenes. But when you look at Mihawk being called the WSS and having a greater bounty than his Yonko "captain" who himself is called a pirate who rivals Shanks, those are points in Mihawk's favor. So sure, you can say Shanks has been treated better compared to Mihawk when it comes to his interactions with other strong characters, but Mihawk has been portrayed better when being compared to Shanks directly."

can't fully agree with this because he has been portrayed better in comparison to shanks directly once in the story and it had to add a reference to specifically sword skill. so the real question to ask here is what is sword skill and is that the full barometer of how strong someone is. I suppose you could describe the latter calling him a one-arm has been as another one tho he was barely a pirate who commanded a bounty of 1 bil 12 yrs ago and now he certainly seems much stronger so am not sure how accurate that statement was.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
"And honestly I do put WB >= Roger. Likewise, I think Shanks' best case is being more or less equal/even with Mihawk"

factually its just = not >= with wb and Roger .

"Yeah, maybe Shanks has been portrayed better in the eyes of casuals who only count hype scenes. But when you look at Mihawk being called the WSS and having a greater bounty than his Yonko "captain" who himself is called a pirate who rivals Shanks, those are points in Mihawk's favor. So sure, you can say Shanks has been treated better compared to Mihawk when it comes to his interactions with other strong characters, but Mihawk has been portrayed better when being compared to Shanks directly."

can't fully agree with this because he has been portrayed better in comparison to shanks directly once in the story and it had to add a reference to specifically sword skill. so the real question to ask here is what is sword skill and is that the full barometer of how strong someone is. I suppose you could describe the latter calling him a one-arm has been as another one tho he was barely a pirate who commanded a bounty of 1 bil 12 yrs ago and now he certainly seems much stronger so am not sure how accurate that statement was.
Only for people who can't read.

It's 2 statements by branew

His sword skill is even greater than the red haired emperor

This only has any meaning if to the world shanks is still just a swordsman

This is empty statement if he is not

You wouldn't say kaido or akainu or blackbeard or luffy etc

Because then the statement has no meaning.

That first one concretely establishes to in the one piece world yonko shanks is just a swordsman

Nor do they mention 12 years ago

It's more sword skill than the current red haired emperor not more skilled than Shanks 12 years ago

And the second statement is as the strongest swordsman in the world.
Which again is concrete

Its a checkmate

The first statement established shanks as just a swordsman

And the second puts him below mihawk.
Post automatically merged:

Shanks is a swordsman, unless Oda changes the current status quo. Any other answer is headcanon.

Considering what the man said, I wonder if we should consider the flaming sword he had non canon.
Funny how they taking the flaming sword away but not the coo killer which was also in the film

That comparison makes a lot of sense when you realize a lot of strong people don't stick to particular style of combat and shanks is a very noteworthy person who uses a sword.

I would not reduce big mom to a swordsman just cause she carries a sword, clearly more versatile.
I would not reduce Kizaru to one cause he has a light sword.
king the wildfire certainly didn't want to be reduced to one either.
ask yourself why strength wasn't used there which would have put this argument to bed but some vague term called sword skills was used instead. ask yourself why the author would say we know he uses a sword but how exactly does he fight?

what would be his point in insinuating that, should be obvious no ?how he fights with a sword?
so until he has, it will be argued because shanks simply is the better portrayed character of the two.
Lol The fact that literally everyone u mentioned is a devil fruit user
Oda never uses the term ‘ strength ‘ in these supposed things , he actually did the same thing by saying Denjiro has the greatest swordsmanship among the scabbards which shows us 2 things
1. Denjiro is the strongest scabbard
2. Most of the scabbards are swordsmen ( which is in fact true with prob the exception of raizo and kanjuro and both of them are also df users lol )
And about that ‘ how does he actually fight argument ‘ ….
It’s simply being excited abt how shanks will fight in the future , nothing regarding his fighting style being something different from swordsmanship
Now let’s talk about shanks always using his sword while he wants to fight
1. Ace comes to visit him and when shanks talks abt fighting, the first thing he picks is his sword

When shanks challenges everyone at marineford
He takes out his sword

When shanks fights wb
He takes out his sword and uses it to clash with the emperor

When he wants to block an attack from a toptier
He takes out his sword

The funny thing is even after the haki blast towards greenbul
Shanks is seen holding the sheathe of his sword,
Looks like shanks instinctively grabs his sword when he is angry .

even while being young , all we saw was shanks using a sword while fighting

Oda always tries to squeeze shanks’ sword whenever he is introduced in the manga
- u can see it urself on how he tries his best to squeeze gryphon in the cover pages

when oda drew an art for shanks to promote film red , we still see shanks with a sword
It’s almost as if gryphon is very dear to him
Which is very true , so true that oda has actually mentioned gryphon being beloved to him

And I have also noticed a thing here , oda often puts this ‘ beloved blade / sword ‘ term in the vivrecards of known swordsmen

- tashigi and brook also fit in this category with their vivre cards who are swordsmen themselves
- I have actually never seen oda using this term for someone who is not a swordsman
It’s almost as if he has categorised these characters using this term
- oda had absolutely no problem in naming these people as ‘ a group of swordsmen ‘ even tho he saw shanks there

- now the thing which puts the nail in the coffin on how oda actually views shanks as a fighter is
With a cover page he was trying to draw himself

when oda tries to draw a group of characters with the title ‘ a sword story ‘ he thinks of drawing shanks in it
- shanks has swordsman written all over him but due to a certain agenda many people deny him being a swordsman .
- film red fucked debate by giving shanks a further enhanced sword style in which he uses flames
And also shows how shanks fights and he uses a sword every fucking time

- shanks beating the monster first time by using his sword

- shanks beating the monster second time by using his sword

Damn this became a huge thread lol

You can't decide someone is not a swordsman just because you don't want them to be one.
''Want?'' That's exactly ZKK and Zolo wankers because they can't wank their character without using Shanks being a swordsman lmao. They desperately use Shanks's feats, not Mihawk's pathetic feats for a reason.

Thus you need to show the panels where Shanks fights with only swordsmanship and nothing more. No one has seen that.

Its literally stated in the manga that Hachi is a swordsman...
Do you even read what I said? LOL.

Being a swordsman doesn't stop someone from doing other things. Law is also a swordsman and he can do other things.

Last edited:

Junatic

Lunatic Queen
Oda never uses the term ‘ strength ‘ in these supposed things , he actually did the same thing by saying Denjiro has the greatest swordsmanship among the scabbards which shows us 2 things
2. Most of the scabbards are swordsmen ( which is in fact true with prob the exception of raizo and kanjuro and both of them are also df users lol )
It’s simply being excited abt how shanks will fight in the future , nothing regarding his fighting style being something different from swordsmanship
1. Ace comes to visit him and when shanks talks abt fighting, the first thing he picks is his sword

He takes out his sword

When shanks fights wb

He takes out his sword

Oda always tries to squeeze shanks’ sword whenever he is introduced in the manga
- u can see it urself on how he tries his best to squeeze gryphon in the cover pages

when oda drew an art for shanks to promote film red , we still see shanks with a sword
Which is very true , so true that oda has actually mentioned gryphon being beloved to him

And I have also noticed a thing here , oda often puts this ‘ beloved blade / sword ‘ term in the vivrecards of known swordsmen

- tashigi and brook also fit in this category with their vivre cards who are swordsmen themselves
- I have actually never seen oda using this term for someone who is not a swordsman
- oda had absolutely no problem in naming these people as ‘ a group of swordsmen ‘ even tho he saw shanks there

- now the thing which puts the nail in the coffin on how oda actually views shanks as a fighter is

when oda tries to draw a group of characters with the title ‘ a sword story ‘ he thinks of drawing shanks in it
- shanks has swordsman written all over him but due to a certain agenda many people deny him being a swordsman .
- film red fucked debate by giving shanks a further enhanced sword style in which he uses flames

Not the topic but imo Ashura Doji, Inu and Neko are stronger than Denjiro.

The copium...

Why Mr Greatest Haki isn't WSS then?
So Shanks can't be cut due to his superior Haki level, and overpowers his opponent due to Haki difference, and you think that would make him a ''more skilled'' swordsman? LOL.

Yup, you breathe the copium lmao.
If they fought Mihawk they wouldn't be forbidden from using those other things and if they won they would become the World's Strongest Swordsman so I don't really see your point
So you think Shanks uses his superior Haki to stop Mihawk's superior sword attacks, and overpowers only due to superior Haki, just like he did to Greenbull, and you think that would make Shanks a better swordsman than Mihawk?

He takes out his sword

When shanks fights wb

He takes out his sword

not enough evidences, still not convinced he's swordman
:brootea: