Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Plenty of characters were outcast and didn't join the crew. Pudding was the literal definition of outcast..
But since some people are already so certain of themselves... Yamato nakama Y/N bet thread when?
I think theres a pretty big difference between Pudding/Rebecca/Monet/Perona/Ulti/Momo/Law/Kinemon and a wide variety of other characters compared to Carrot/Yamato.

There is a reason why these 2 have a much higher point of discussion vs. literally anyone else. There really should be no arguments against this at least...

I think theres a pretty big difference between Pudding/Rebecca/Monet/Perona/Ulti/Momo/Law/Kinemon and a wide variety of other characters compared to Carrot/Yamato.

There is a reason why these 2 have a much higher point of discussion vs. literally anyone else. There really should be no arguments against this at least...
To be frank I see no difference between Carrot and those mentioned.

Yamato is different given she hasn't been in the series very long

English is only my third language so maybe it's my fault for being unclear but I'm not saying Yamato isn't joining because Pudding didn't join, just that being outcast isn't that much of an argument or this arc will also end with Tama (Living in extreme poverty with her master and want to take the sea too) and Carrot (who clearly set apart from the other minks in behavior by showing a lot of interest the world outside Zou) on the ship. I guess Yamato does fit that "criteria" though.

Last edited:
I'd be hard pressed to find a way to describe Zoro and Jinbei as outcasts from their hometowns.
Zoro was just too big for his original village with his goals and dreams being bigger than everyone else's at least after kuina died
Plus he definitely stuck out compared to the other kids and even adults. Just being some random kid challengeing random dojos

Jinbei while still stuck out alot compared to most
  • He was born in the fishmen district like arlong and Fishertiger
  • He then joined the royal army something if i remember correctly is rare especially because where hes from
  • Became a pirate with fishertiger even becoming captain after his death
  • Joined the shichibukai then left for ace
  • Joined the big mom pirates
Maybe not so much an outcast but man sticks out like a sore thumb with how special he is

To be frank I see no difference between Carrot and those mentioned.

Yamato is different given she hasn't been in the series very long
How so? Do I really need to explain why?

- Monet: Villain, zero connection to the crew. Zero instances where her character pointed to wanted to be associated with the strawhats.
- Perona: Villain, connection to Zoro but still massive dedication to Moria. Read the above.
- Rebecca: Arc princess, was painted as nothing more than that. Zero desire to be a pirate. Zero desire to adventure.
- Pudding: Essentially the "Arc Princess". Aside from a connection to Sanji, zero merit for her actually joining the crew. Zero actual decent interactions with the crew. Nothing pointed to her actually wanting to leave WCI.
- Ulti: Villain, zero connection to the crew (so far)
- Momo: "Arc Prince". Zero desire to be a pirate. Zero desire to follow in his fathers footsteps and "adventure".
- Law: Is his own captain, shows zero interest in subjugating to Luffy outside of an alliance. That's the point of his character, to be Luffy's first true pirate Ally. Kid is also going in that direction. Bege already fell in that direction.
- Kinemon: To be honest, he's the closest out of the above to have some sort personal connection to the crew. But, Kinemon has had zero hints to wanting to go on adventures. Has a desire to serve only his countries problems (like Momo). Has a desire to return to his wife.

Adventuring is pretty much the lifeblood of Carrot's admittedly "small" character. Aside from Luffy, she has interacted with much of the crew, more so than any other character above has at this point. She experienced a tragedy in real time with Pedro, who told her that she will eventually realize how important the strawhats are to changing the world, who's dream was to travel with the PK, who essentially passed on his will to her almost entirely. She's the only Mink that received exclusive focus with the strwhats. She essentially receives more focus than the 2 Mink Kings at this point, save for certain points in Wano so far.

Then you have Yamato, who point blank told Luffy he/she wanted to leave with him, along with being exclusively with Luffy the last 4 chapters, connection to Ace, hinted tragedy directly related to her father. Not much else there considering she needs needs more chapter presence still.

How is it hard to see the difference between these 2 and literally every other side character in the series outside of Vivi? Its not about patterns, its about how Oda writes these characters, and so far these 2 characters have far more interest in adventuring (with the strawhats specifically), wacky personalities, moderately unique fighting styles, and have presence unlike the rest.

Come on Garp, there is a huge reason why Carrot and Yamato are almost exclusively discussed here. Its because everyone sees the same merits more than any other character. Its also why point of contention is so strong on opposing sides, and why the arguments are much more heated. Nobody here argues more about Perona or Monet joining than Carrot and (so far) Yamato, because most people understand that Perona/Monet had almost had no motivations in joining.

You called me a fucking idiot for fervently supporting Yamato for nakama, but now you can see the legitimacy of her case...man, I really don’t like you :pepeke:
Your memory is faulty, I didn't call you a idiot for that, you were having a hissy fit over people arguing against Yamato's joining and It was stupid to make that type of thread if you're going to get upset over opposition.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Your memory is faulty, I didn't call you a idiot for that, you were having a hissy fit over people arguing against Yamato's joining and It was stupid to make that type of thread if you're going to get upset over opposition.
I’m sick of the face argument, and even less interested in hearing about the nonexistent pattern. There are too many people here who don’t seem to accept the fact that Oda can try new things without consulting them first, or just want him to keep doing the same shit over and over. Plus, it’s an insubstantial argument against Yamato joining the crew; if having two characters who look similar/far from identical is confusing for some readers, they have much bigger problems than her and Nami sharing panels. Fuckin’ annoys me, man.
@Jew D. Boy
If different opinions trigger you this much maybe you shouldn't have created this thread. What a fucking stupid post
I don’t give a rat’s ass about different opinions; when the same arguments are being used despite several people effectively disproving them, yeah, I think continuing to make those arguments is in bad faith. We don’t have to agree on everything, but you oughta be able to defend your side with something more tangible than “their faces are the same” (which they aren’t and you’ve been told as much) or “the pattern” (which doesn’t exist and you’ve been told as much) in the face of hard evidence in the canon - like her stating a desire to leave with Luffy - that you have to ignore to state those flimsy cases. You came at me with an unnecessary personal attack, then did the same exact shit as usual. Now you’re trying to say you can see Yamato joining if you squint, when as recently as the last couple of hours you were making more shitty points against her. If you’re gonna be a raging dickhole, at least be consistent.

He helping Luffy in Impel Down, Marineford, Post-Marineford, Fishman Island, WCI.
Design wise he isn't that good, but you have to realize he is the most contributed person for Luffy right now..
Doesn't make him more of a SH material than Law or Kin'emon or even Momo. For me, being at Marineford and all that should have been an instant disqualification for becoming a SH, but alas...

- Monet: Villain, zero connection to the crew. Zero instances where her character pointed to wanted to be associated with the strawhats.
- Perona: Villain, connection to Zoro but still massive dedication to Moria. Read the above.
- Rebecca: Arc princess, was painted as nothing more than that. Zero desire to be a pirate. Zero desire to adventure.
- Pudding: Essentially the "Arc Princess". Aside from a connection to Sanji, zero merit for her actually joining the crew. Zero actual decent interactions with the crew. Nothing pointed to her actually wanting to leave WCI.
- Momo: "Arc Prince". Zero desire to be a pirate. Zero desire to follow in his fathers footsteps and "adventure".
- Law: Is his own captain, shows zero interest in subjugating to Luffy outside of an alliance. That's the point of his character, to be Luffy's first true pirate Ally. Kid is also going in that direction. Bege already fell in that direction.
- Kinemon: To be honest, he's the closest out of the above to have some sort personal connection to the crew. But, Kinemon has had zero hints to wanting to go on adventures. Has a desire to serve only his countries problems (like Momo). Has a desire to return to his wife.

Adventuring is pretty much the lifeblood of Carrot's admittedly "small" character. Aside from Luffy, she has interacted with much of the crew, more so than any other character above has at this point. She experienced a tragedy in real time with Pedro, who told her that she will eventually realize how important the strawhats are to changing the world, who's dream was to travel with the PK, who essentially passed on his will to her almost entirely. She's the only Mink that received exclusive focus with the strwhats. She essentially receives more focus than the 2 Mink Kings at this point, save for certain points in Wano so far.

Then you have Yamato, who point blank told Luffy he/she wanted to leave with him, along with being exclusively with Luffy the last 4 chapters, connection to Ace, hinted tragedy directly related to her father. Not much else there considering she needs needs more chapter presence still.

How is it hard to see the difference between these 2 and literally every other side character in the series outside of Vivi? Its not about patterns, its about how Oda writes these characters, and so far these 2 characters have far more interest in adventuring (with the strawhats specifically), wacky personalities, moderately unique fighting styles, and have presence unlike the rest.

Come on Garp, there is a huge reason why Carrot and Yamato are almost exclusively discussed here. Its because everyone sees the same merits more than any other character. Its also why point of contention is so strong on opposing sides, and why the arguments are much more heated. Nobody here argues more about Perona or Monet joining than Carrot and (so far) Yamato, because most people understand that Perona/Monet had almost had no motivations in joining.
if bon clay didnt get locked up im pretty sure hed be in the crew now

I see Yamato as more legit than the other candidates because they literally had nothing going on for them. While I believed they had 0% chance of joining, Yamato got like 10% which is still low. I explained several times why I think Yamato doesn't have the portrayal of what I believe would be a straw hat. For me Yamato's design, late and sudden introduction, overlapping backstory, rushed moment that could have been emotional are real arguments against her joining. You believe it doesn't matter the slighest and that what's coming in the arc will cement her as a straw hat which I don't .
You see these arguments as being stupid and from bad faith when I see them as still being legit, what can I say?
And no need to reply if you don't tone your animosity down, didn't even call you stupid, I called your post stupid. You said WAY worse things to me just after (post that got deleted btw) and I let it slip while you keep acting like a resentful prick.

Last edited:

I'll ignore Yamato for now, like I've said before I'm waiting on her inevitable flashback to fully judge her.

But if you're making a broadchurch of characters that is grouping together the completely unimportant (Perona and Monet) and the driving force of the past 350 chapters (Kine'mon, Law and Momo) then yes, Carrot absolutely deserves to go in that group.

Carrot hasn't interacted with more of the crew than any other character. She has interacted extensively with Chopper, had one very nice moment with Sanji in WCI, and ultimately has as much of a relationship with Nami as Shinobu does. She barely interacted with Brook and Jinbei, or the Wanohats, and as we all know there is no strong moment with Luffy. Kine'mon has as strong if not stronger a relationship with the crew as a whole, Law and Momo have much stronger with Luffy- to the extent that Luffy actually considers Law to be a member of his crew. I'm not arguing they'll join the crew, but they show how Carrot is lacking.

Shinobu's relationship- let alone the Red Scabbards- with Oden received more focus than Carrot's with Pedro. The "tragedy in the present day" that is supposed to be Carrot's story would only work as an argument if Oda actually seemed to devoting time to it. He doesn't seem to. Just like he doesn't seem to actually want to spend any real time with Carrot.

The Carrot argument has long relied on totally overblowing her every appearance to somehow be a sign that she is a greatly important character, a Strawhat. See her role in Onigashima for reference- she's done absolutely nothing of note, but simply being there is apparently enough for some people.

While I can be an impulsive jerk sometimes, conflict isn't something I'm actually looking for in a One Piece board. I apologize for saying you were triggered by different opinions, for calling you stupid and the overall passive aggressiveness@Jew D. Boy and I will stop arguing against Yamato's joining anymore, people won't have to deal with what is considered bad faith from me anymore since these discussions are going nowhere.

Zoro was just too big for his original village with his goals and dreams being bigger than everyone else's at least after kuina died
Plus he definitely stuck out compared to the other kids and even adults. Just being some random kid challengeing random dojos

Jinbei while still stuck out alot compared to most
  • He was born in the fishmen district like arlong and Fishertiger
  • He then joined the royal army something if i remember correctly is rare especially because where hes from
  • Became a pirate with fishertiger even becoming captain after his death
  • Joined the shichibukai then left for ace
  • Joined the big mom pirates
Maybe not so much an outcast but man sticks out like a sore thumb with how special he is
Yeah, "standout" is a better argument than outcast. All the Strawhats have stood out in their backgrounds,whereas outcast implies a degree of isolation and otherness that doesn't really apply to all of them

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
While I can be impulsive sometimes, conflict isn't something I'm actually looking for in One Piece board. I apologize for saying you were triggered by different opinions and for calling you stupid @Jew D. Boy and I will stop arguing against Yamato's joining anymore, people won't have to deal with what is considered bad faith from me anymore since these discussions are going nowhere.
I’m not asking you not to express your opinions, and I was clearly too heated last time which is why my posts got deleted instead of yours. I was also wrong in the way I acted, and I’m sorry for not letting it go until now. The discussions definitely go nowhere for all of us, so I have to learn not to engage so intensely. Sorry for the shitty stuff I’ve said, and I forgive you for the same. Probably need to just unwatch this thread until there’s more tangible evidence for OR against Yamato.

I’m not asking you not to express your opinions, and I was clearly too heated last time which is why my posts got deleted instead of yours. I was also wrong in the way I acted, and I’m sorry for not letting it go until now. The discussions definitely go nowhere for all of us, so I have to learn not to engage so intensely. Sorry for the shitty stuff I’ve said, and I forgive you for the same. Probably need to just unwatch this thread until there’s more tangible evidence for OR against Yamato.
I forgive you too :)
Don't sorry I understand what it is being invested in something, I also had my share of intense discussions. It's not personal against Yamato, the fact I'm a believer of Jinbe being the last crewmate makes me skeptical of any crewmate candidate by default so I'm kinda unfair, I never supported anyone since 2011 except as a joke :catrude:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.