Character Discussion Better portrayal: Marco vs Katakuri

Who?

• Total voters
J

Jo_Ndule

I think over the piece Marco has slightly better portrayal. I reckon it’s still close between all the YC1’s, even as hysterically funny and embarrassing as Marco treating King and Queen was King will go on to show much more impressive things in the future.

Katakuri suffers slightly imo by having very localised hype, by his siblings. And Brûlée has admitted she knew it was just a part he was playing to protect them. Katakuri’s performance would be a lot stronger if we actually knew what his undefeated record meant- who had he fought, does that include draws. Not to say he’s a fraud- he clearly is one of the strongest characters in the series, all things considered, only the top tiers are definitively above him.

But Oda’s had the chance to associate Katakuri’s hype with known qualities, and he hasn’t done it. The strongest example of what I mean by this is the chapter where Shanks meets Whitebeard. Going into that chapter, we knew that Whitebeard was the WSM, and the only one who had fought Roger and lived (that has since been discovered to be a wee bit of an exaggeration by Buggy, but we didn’t know that at the time.) We had discovered only a few chapters before that Shanks was also considered one of these Emperor type pirates, who are the most powerful and in the New World. And in that chapter
-Shanks notices Marco and asks him to join his crew
-Whitebeard reminisces about the duels between Shanks and Mihawk -Whitebeard hypes up Sengoku and Garp as leftovers of the great era with Roger
-Shanks says that he knows Ace is strong
-Shanks drops the big bombshell that Blackbeard was the one who scarred him

Because these are all known quantities to the reader, with a big role in the overarching plot, it‘s great hype for everyone involved. Marco’s gotten a lot of this in his time- clashing with the Admirals, Gorosei naming him above the other WB Pirates, him being the one the Minks want to fight in the war, BM, who is exceedingly stingy in handing out praise, implying she’s had a reasonably high opinion of him, blah blah.

Oda’s never taken that route with Katakuri, and he has had the opportunity. He could gave us examples of Katakuri’s undefeated record, saying something like “even in fights against the Whitebeard Pirates or Roger Pirates, he’s never touched the floor!” or examples of powerful pirates he’s beaten or been undefeated against. But we never got anything like that. In the chapter where Luffy was named Fifth Emperor, it could have been emphasised that Luffy managed to defeat the undefeatable Katakuri- instead he’s just lumped together with Cracker as Big Mom’s officers. Some of the Beast Pirates could react with apprehension or awe about Luffy beating Katakuri- nada. It’s little things like that that make me put Marco above Katakuri.

That all might sound really harsh and like I’m saying that Katakuri is a total fraud, again, that’s not what I’m saying. Marco vs Katakuri is in my opinion an extreme diff for Marco. When Oda decides to hype a character, he doesn’t really do dehyping, it‘s the fans who nitpick like I’ve done above. But I do feel Oda could have made an effort to solidify Katakuri’s hype, which would put him above the other YC1’s, and he has not done it.

When it comes to actual feats Katakuri is both blessed and cursed in that no other YC will have anywhere close to a fight of the length that Katakuri had, meaning he got to show off more, and also cursed in that he fought the protagonist so was obviously going to lose. CoC as an argument I’m happy to completely ignore until Wano is over- Katakuri showed it out of nowhere near the very end of a long fight, and showed nothing overly special with it.
You literally have bmp clashing wbp many times in the past via Pero and Marco words

Yet you want more proofs
Post automatically merged:

Pathetic. The end result is the same. Katakuri couldn't break free from it and he even admitted that.
:okay:g3 > base linlin small hand
G3 is 2ay bigger and could catch his body
Now tell me what stopped Marco from escaping a simple grav by the neck?

Call me when Katakuri is choked like a chicken .

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
Doesn't seem like Luffy made use of CoO in the first round. He was outraged, witnessing how his crew seemingly died.
Yeah Luffy conveniently forgets to use FS every time he's hit by someone.

There is no difference outside of armament Haki lol. Wano Luffy still has far inferior FS and speed to Katakuri.
Wano Luffy's FS is by no means inferior to Katakuri

g3 > base linlin small hand
G3 is 2ay bigger and could catch his body
Now tell me what stopped Marco from escaping a simple grav by the neck?

Call me when Katakuri is choked like a chicken .
Why are u ingoring the panels where Marco clashed with Big mom without being overwhelmed than laughing to her face ?
  • What damage has Big mom done to Marco?
Also, after Perospero was attacked, Marco was shown to be free and there was no panel of Big mom letting him go, so logic tells u that Marco broke free. Dude wasn't even worried of Big mom's grip in the first place.

Poor Kata can't break free from Luffy though
:josad:

J

Jo_Ndule

Bruh, Udon Luffy from Sumo matches is literally the same version of him that fought Kaido. Post WCI Luffy > Kuri and Kaido blitzed him.
Udon luffy was more calm and training

Luffy didn't surpass Katakuri till after gaining good control of fs and coa at Udon

Then explain why Kaido can't blitz him wihh sneak attack now?
Post automatically merged:

Why are u ingoring the panels where Marco clashed with Big mom without being overwhelmed than laughing to her face ?
  • What damage has Big mom done to Marco?
Also, after Perospero was attacked, Marco was shown to be free and there was no panel of Big mom letting him go, so logic tells u that Marco broke free. Dude wasn't even worried of Big mom's grip in the first place.

Poor Kata can't break free from Luffy though
:josad:
Dont have time to play this game with you

Linlin only grabs fodders by the neck
Judge, Marco...Queen...

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Yeah Luffy conveniently forgets to use FS every time he's hit by someone.
How many hits have non-FS users ever landed on karakuri?

Wano Luffy's FS is by no means inferior to Katakuri
Kuri would beat the fuck out of him lol. The only powerful Luffy unlocked is a Kaido specific power up that would be pretty redundant to Kuri given that Kuri already had superior coa to WCI Luffy anyway lol.

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
How many hits have non-FS users ever landed on karakuri?
How many competent characters did Kuri even fought on panel for us to know the answer?

Kuri would beat the fuck out of him lol. The only powerful Luffy unlocked is a Kaido specific power up that would be pretty redundant to Kuri given that Kuri already had superior coa to WCI Luffy anyway lol.
Wtf? Pre-Udon Luffy would murder Kuri without even going all out lol

Gol D. Roger

ȶɦɛ քɨʀǟȶɛ ӄɨռɢ
Katakuri lost his CoO being triggered as Luffy saw him eating on his back. And you think Luffy had his FS on point when being outraged, witnessing his crew being seemingly killed + learning that Kaido wasted Speed and Tama too.
If Luffy fails to use COO properly every time he's angry that his friends got beaten then he'd never be able to use FS in a main arc fight.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
How many competent characters did Kuri even fought on panel for us to know the answer?
All we know is that all of WCI said that Katakuri losing to someone who defeated both Doflamingo and Cracker was impossible. Katakuri is far above the high tiers.

Wtf? Pre-Udon Luffy would murder Kuri without even going all out lol
Katakuri had to throw his first fight for Luffy to escape within an inch of his life lol. Chopper had to give Luffy emergency surgery, and Luffy had to rest for a week after fighting Katakuri.

Kaido himself only knocked Luffy out for roughly the same amount of time that Katakuri’s fake Gear 3 did lol. Luffy got up 20 minutes later and was soloing everybody with sea stone cuffs on after he faced Kaido lol.

Kuri would turn Luffy into a bloody stump on the dirt, then he would beat the fuck out of Kaido and use Kaido’s mangled corpse to mop up Luffy’s remains.