Chapter Discussion Chapter 1054 Is Pure Garbage

Now, before you say “Kinyagi is just mad because he’s an admiraltard!” hold your horses. The characterization of Aramaki is actually something I’m going to rip into in this thread. This is a rare thread/post where you’re going to see me be completely serious with minimal trolling.

I’m going to go through every problem I have with this chapter in chronological order. Hopefully I make it clear that I’m criticizing this chapter from a story structure, set up, and pacing perspective, and not just presenting personal gripes or agenda related copium.

1. Why do a few scabbards, Yamato, and Momo suddenly become sensory ninjas from Konoha? No one else except these specific characters can detect Aramaki approaching? So then they suddenly teleport a few miles away from the capital and show up in front of a guy they have never met and somehow immediately understand the situation.

The whole situation is set up in a way that is convenient and weird. It doesn’t make sense.

2. “STOP RIGHT THERE, YOU DONT HAVE RIGHTS!”
Now, I don’t mind the characterization of Aramaki as an evil pro-WG admiral (I actually like it), but why is he getting outraged for no reason and screaming about killing thousands to the scabbards, completely unprovoked?

This is a moment where it blatantly feels like “the author really really wants me to know this guy is bad huh.” It’s over the top, unnecessary, and feels forced.

3. Shanks and his crew are in Wano but then suddenly dip because of… Bartolommeo? This scene feels like Shanks is here to advertise his movie, and… that’s it? It’s very meta and out of place, almost like it’s purely here for the audience and isn’t actually relevant to the story in a meaningful way. It’s incredibly bizarre.

*note I’m not actually sure Shanks is leaving Wano (Bartolommeo could have used Luffy’s vivre card to come to Wano and Shanks is chasing him down). If it’s the case that he doesn’t leave and is here for an actual reason then I have no issue, although I would still criticize the dialogue for being odd.

4. I have a number of problems with the information we get about Sabo, especially how it re-contextualizes the previous info we got in 957.

Makino and Dadan’s reactions make literally no sense at all. “NOOOO, SABOO” crying “AND JUST AFTER WE LEARNED HE WAS ALIVE!” more crying
Are they upset about Sabo killing a random king they never met? Uhhhhh… ok weird. They’ve got really upstanding morals I guess.

5. Why did Sabo allegedly killing Kobra make people start rioting against the world government?

This bit was confusing to me. So the revolutionary army got what they wanted (right?) from something that Sabo didn’t actually do? Or was it just Sabo assaulting the Holyland that sparked this? I would assume the latter but the presentation of information here is very confusing, and if this is the setup for the final war then it’s frankly completely botched.

6. Dragon getting overshadowed by Sabo before actually having a major role in the story or a scene giving us information about him and his character. Again, this is just another really weird choice. It almost makes it feel like Dragon doesn’t matter to the story anymore. Before he’s even in the story.

Bonus:
In addition to these pretty blatant and (mostly) objective criticisms, I have a ton of personal problems with this chapter that are kind of agenda related (obviously, I’m an admiral fanboy) and subjective but I also feel are pretty noteworthy.

Bonus 1.
The admirals “losing” in Mariejois doesn’t really make sense (even assuming Sabo is straight up equal to the admirals or top tier level) and kind of kills tension.

Bonus 2.
This is especially true because literally a few pages after the admiral de-hype, Akainu is shown/portrayed as re-entering the story as an antagonist. As an author, why would you dehype a group of characters and then immediately re-introduce a member of said group as a major threat?

Anyway, this was a long rant and I’m not sure if I was totally coherent throughout, but man this chapter sucks. It literally feels like a movie you watch and enjoy for the hype, but then process a few hours later and realize it’s trash.

EDIT:
Another issue.
Didn’t Yamato say Kaido was dead to her?
Yamato introducing herself as “the son of the Kaido” is like Sanji introducing himself as “the son of judge.”

Last edited:
Now, I don’t mind the characterization of Aramaki as an evil pro-WG admiral (I actually like it), but why is he getting outraged for no reason and screaming about killing thousands to the scabbards, completely unprovoked?
In my opinion he is ideolizing Akainu and trying to mimick what he had done to Oroha refugee's

Shank is in wano in case luffy dies. He’s been play 4D chess this whole time. Can’t have joy boy fruit disappearing or taken. It’s no coincidence Shanks step into the races once joy boy returned. Dog tryna shoot past Rogers.

this chapter goated just for that alone. 6 is legit tho
Shanks is playing high dimensional chess at such a high level that I literally don’t understand what’s going on.

Last edited:
All pretty good points. Number 3 makes Shanks look like a hypebeast (all bark no bite) and Number 4 is just a horribly bad plot twist that makes no sense in retrospect with Revs being panicked and crying over… Sabo becoming a bigger guiding symbol for their cause?

Aramaki went from being one of the coolest Admirals to being one of the most disliked in a matter of a single chapter across OP community. I think that’s a new record for any antagonist, really.

In my opinion he is ideolizing Akainu and trying to mimick what he had done to Oroha refugee's
1) Would Greenbull even know about that?
2) Even if he did, didn’t Sakazuki never even interact with the Oharans face to face?

I believe for Sabo "killing" Cobra, they don't know Cobra like we do. For all they know, he's another cruel and vicious, oppressive king of the WG, so I suppose that's what sparks the whole "f yeah lfg Sabo!!". There's probably a lot more to it.
But then why are Dadan and Makino crying if Cobra is known as “just another cruel and vicious king.” That just makes a lot of the reactions in 957 even weirder.

All pretty good points. Number 3 makes Shanks look like a hypebeast (all bark no bite) and Number 4 is just a horribly bad plot twist that makes no sense in retrospect with Revs being panicked and crying over… Sabo becoming a bigger guiding symbol for their cause?

Aramaki went from being one of the coolest Admirals to being one of the most disliked in a matter of a single chapter across OP community. I think that’s a new record for any antagonist, really.
I mean I think Oda is trying to get us to dislike Aramaki, that’s a characteristic of good villains.

The problem is that I think Oda is trying TOO hard. Like to the point where it’s meme-able.

nik87

Kitetsu Wanker
:myman:There will be more garbage, you arent ready for it...
Your time of enjoying Admirals is coming to an end.
The time of their spotlight where their weaknesses show up is coming.
The era of cool and strong badasses ends as soon as Rupee comes near them.
That is the fate of most antagonists in OP, Oda just cant do them justice.
Ganbare, Kinyagi-chin.

:myman:There will be more garbage, you arent ready for it...
Your time of enjoying Admirals is coming to an end.
The time of their spotlight where their weaknesses show up is coming.
The era of cool and strong badasses ends as soon as Rupee comes near them.
That is the fate of most antagonists in OP, Oda just cant do them justice.
Ganbare, Kinyagi-chin.
Barely any of this has to do with the admiral agenda or powerscaling Lik.

I’m starting to hope ZKK happens cuz I’m worried you’ll have a stroke and die if it doesn’t.

Last edited:

This is a moment where it blatantly feels like “the author really really wants me to know this guy is bad huh.” It’s over the top, unnecessary, and feels forced
Pretty sad character.
Looks like a boneless Akainu.
Oda's gonna feed him to Luffy as he did with Cracker.

I get your points about the Shanks panels which really didn't bring anything to the story, or at least it was useless to have him near Wano, he could have been anywhere else.
Also agree with people crying about Sabo just for us to learn that all that was reported in the news was that he killed Cobra, not much to be sad about here.

But you're nitpicking for your other points. Nothing says that only the scabbards felt GB's presence, maybe the others just don't feel threatened about it or haven't decided what to do about it. Anyway I think this was more for Oda to have Momo have one of his first great moment.

About GB character, it makes absolute sense that a douchebag that is mainly a dog of the WG would bark like that. Aside from Akainu we know none of them bite.

About Sabo being an idol and making people start rioting, I think maybe Oda is starting to show that there are people that are aginst the WG and Cobra was a representation of that so it inspires them. Don't forget that the Revs have been trying to reach people and show them how bad the WG is.

Dragon getting overshadowed by Sabo before actually having a major role in the story or a scene giving us information about him and his character. Again, this is just another really weird choice. It almost makes it feel like Dragon doesn’t matter to the story anymore. Before he’s even in the story.
Talking about best scenario, then this is just Oda's baiting.

Dragon hasn't even made a big move yet. He also isn't so old and out of prime already like old Garp, old Whitebeard, and old Rayleigh. No reason for him to get overshadowed this early.

The story will wank Sabo this, Sabo that, but when Dragon makes an actual move, he will remind everybody why he was and is the World Most Wanted for years.

In EoS, things might change again though, with Sabo surpassing older gen Dragon for real this time.

About GB character, it makes absolute sense that a douchebag that is mainly a dog of the WG would bark like that. Aside from Akainu we know none of them bite.
The problem isn’t his character, it’s how heavy handed Oda is being. It’s too over the top and cartoonish.

About Sabo being an idol and making people start rioting, I think maybe Oda is starting to show that there are people that are aginst the WG and Cobra was a representation of that so it inspires them. Don't forget that the Revs have been trying to reach people and show them how bad the WG is.
But the WG killed Cobra, not Sabo (I assume). So then the WG technically started this and not the Revos, but that makes the implications weird. That’s what I’m getting at.

The problem isn’t his character, it’s how heavy handed Oda is being. It’s too over the top and cartoonish.
Don't expect something too deep when it comes to characterization in One Piece.
But the WG killed Cobra, not Sabo (I assume). So then the WG technically started this and not the Revos, but that makes the implications weird. That’s what I’m getting at.
I think you're assuming correctly. But people think it's Sabo and aside from the Alabasta citizens I don't think people know that Cobra is a good guy. For them he represents WG and is bad. It's as simple as that.