Doggo

Welcome to the House of Hope
Some said Oda killed his char, persona, and strength so that the gap between him and the stronger duo is more clear.

I thought this is just a hater or meme comment until you carefully read what Oda gave him Post-TS & compare it to the other two.

Him, along with the other 6 SH is a case of wasted potential in writing.
Just Oda's limitations as a writer showing off.
It's easier for him to just focus on the 2 main fighters and just ocasionally make the others shine.
But I'm against the "Oda hates Sanji" line.
Doesn't matter if you think WCI was good or bad, the fact is that Oda decided to explore even more Sanji's character, creating an arc with him as a central piece.
Despite the man having his limitarions and bad ideas, the love Oda has for each of his characters is undeniable.
But there are A LOT of factors. One Piece is a weekly selling manga, and it has a few gimmicks that are out of Oda's control.
He can't simply write whatever he wants and let the audience decide if they like something or not and live with it. In this industry, you are to do A LOT of "adaptations" to respond to the audience's preferences. Some character is getting very popular? Might as well bring him up more often and give him more important roles, and so on.
It's different from, for example, Martin writing A Song of Ice and Fire. He spends years writing one book. He can't have week to week reactions to pieces of his story and change it to suit the audience better.
Remember that the Supernovas were last minute creations that his editor suggested to him in order to make Sabaody more interesting. Look at their participation in the story now.
There are the good changes, but there are also bad changes. If he thinks the SH's are falling off grace, and more and more people are getting frustrated at it, believe me when I say he will turn things around. Doesn't mean he will buff one specific characters, but he might shed some light of them more often.
One Piece is also near the end. There simply isn't enough time to go back and make every single SH relevant again aside from momentary feats. A pity, but that's how these stories go.

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
Sanji is an equivalent of Sokka from Avatar The Last Airbender. Both have the letter S on their names and a alpha males.:steef::steef:

That depends on his goals.

Fighting strenght is not everything in life. Sanji can be a winner and be not particularly powerful in combat at the same time but most fans are obsessed with power levels and want to push Sanji off where he doesn't belong.

Warchief Sanji D Goat

Ubel > Frieren and Fern

Fighting strenght is not everything in life. Sanji can be a winner and be not particularly powerful in combat at the same time but most fans are obsessed with power levels and want to push Sanji off where he doesn't belong.
I get that Sanji is not a fighter thing so he doesn't have to be strong thing but that's not always the case. Whitebeard's goal is to have a family yet he's the World's Strongest Man, Marco is a doctor yet he's the First Mate, etc. Nothing rules out that a cook can't be strong. That's like saying woman can't be strong as man. Bottom line is that Sanji is a prodigy in both cooking and fighting. That's his specialty, cooking first and fighting second. But Sanji say that he also wants to get stronger for his comrades sake. Most people downplay Sanji because of that and there's nothing wrong with people are placing Sanji on where he shouldn't belong.

Doggo

Wel..considering Oda lacks in the "resolving conflicts without beating the living shit of someone" department, it kinda is what it is.
Or do you think baking the cake to send BM away was something well received by the majority of people? :kayneshrug:

Finalbeta

Law Nerd
I get that Sanji is not a fighter thing so he doesn't have to be strong thing but that's not always the case. Whitebeard's goal is to have a family yet he's the World's Strongest Man, Marco is a doctor yet he's the First Mate, etc. Nothing rules out that a cook can't be strong. That's like saying woman can't be strong as man. Bottom line is that Sanji is a prodigy in both cooking and fighting. That's his specialty, cooking first and fighting second. But Sanji say that he also wants to get stronger for his comrades sake. Most people downplay Sanji because of that and there's nothing wrong with people are placing Sanji on where he shouldn't belong.
Well Whitebeard was also a literal conqueror first of all. And his greatness expanded independently from his goals yes, however he was the Gura eater as well aside from what I even just mentioned. Basically he was a special case for a multimyriad of reasons and not the norm for someone who doesn't set particularly high goals power wise.

Roronoa-sama

Magic Sword, Magic Swordsman, and Can Cut Anything
In the beging (baraties arc) he was great character (i liked him):
-good combat style
-good story
-good personality (i like as he was a casanova)
but after that arc he was became a worst character. Each chapters he was changed a casanova to a wimp (and a rapist in the post time).
For my the moment i was became to don't like him it was when he didn't fight against califa because in that moment robin life was in play (and then nami) and he chose his stupid principle than nakama life.

Doggo

Gonna be the devil's lawyer here and talk a little bit about the kalifa thing.

Sanji, despite not hitting Kalifa, still managed to own her in battle, simply blocking her every attack with ease.
He COULD simply have stolen the key from her, not compromising himself, and not letting robin die for his gimmick.
The thing is....Kalifa had a trick up her sleeve. She had recently acquired a Devil Fruit. One that screws brawlers. So he could no longer fight her properly. It was more a case of him underestimating her and not seeing that she could have some kind of trick, than he just refusing to save robin. If he didnt want to get Kalifa's key, he could have just left. Just a bad matchup.

I know people get mad at it, but try reading through it again with this concept in mind. Maybe you'll see that it was not as bad as some might have thought at first.

Peace. :kata:

Doggo

Still could have taken the keys without hitting her.
Got sneak attacked by gimmick power that screwed his fighting style.

Btw, Nami says "IF". But has Sanji ever said it himself? All I can remember is "no hitting ladies" part.