Character Discussion Doflamingo vs Katakuri character-wise

Who is the better character?

• Total voters

Light D Lamperouge

๐–‚๐–๐–†๐–™ ๐•ฎ๐–”๐–š๐–‘๐–‰ ๐•ณ๐–†๐–›๐–Š ๐•ญ๐–Š๐–Š๐–“
โ€Ž
Since the result of the actual battle is pretty obvious
Waka sama low diffs :pepedoffy:
let's talk about their characters. Which character is the better written one? Which character do you enjoy more? Why?

R2: Who do you like more?

R3: Who is more iconic?

vs

Some parties that might be interested.
@TheAncientCenturion @Admiral Lee Hung @Sentinel @Veku @Plex @comrade @Topi Jerami @Murilo @ZenZu @Inspector_Mu @MarineHQ62 @Cyrus the Cactus @Kejon @nik87 @Shakky @Owl Ki @Den_Den_Mushi @HA001

Last edited:
Katakuri had potential. This dumb respect/pride thing ruined him for me. I actually liked how he cared about his family and his people. Yet he goes out killing innocent chefs, shouting at his little sister that only wanted to help, and starts supporting the criminal that destroyed his country and beat up his family. Like how can you go supporting the main villain of your own story. Cause thats what Luffy was to Katakuri at the start. Then Oda threw the whole "he hates BM" hint at the end. Oda my dude that is not enough.

Katakuri's character is just not realistic. And I think Oda really wanted us to like Katakuri, so thats why he made him like an ally at the end. But its just plain retarded writing. Stop ruining characters and making them do stuff that contridicts how you previously written them. Please.

I still remember the day when the spoilers released of the chap where Katakuri stabbed himself. I was in complete disbelief and protected Katakuri throughout. Saying it was fake spoilers and what not. Until I saw the pictures and saw the idiot stab himself. Till then I was completely done with his idiotic character.

I don't hate Katakuri but i don't love him also, he is clearly a Zoro low cost, so i understand people who like him right noodle :myman: ? But who need another Zoro when you have the real one!

Doffy is another case, he is unique and really good villain. Was a perfect ennemy for luffy!
Doffy's voice and laugh really helped him in the anime. If oda creates another character like doffy, it would be the same like katakuri and zoro, not everyone will like it.

Last edited:

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
โ€Ž
Katakuri is sort of a poorly written mess. When you look at his character in hindsight, heโ€™s pretty internally consistent, but the timing with which Oda chose to reveal crucial aspects of his character that were massively important to his loss to Luffy, just came off as some of the worst MC plot armor of all time.

The Chadflamingo however, is one of the more well written OP characters there is. His motivations as a villain were crystal clear and perfectly lined up with his backstory (unlike katakuri) and I never questioned why Doflamingo was doing what he did because his established character (even from all the way back in Jaya) matched up almost flawlessly with the actions he later takes.

Plus Doffy just has that epic charisma. Kuri is more of a manbaby.

Doffyโ€™s fight was also handled correctly power level wise, whereas Luffy vs Katakuri is the second most retarded fight Oda has ever drawn in that department (aside from Luffy vs Kaido ofc). You canโ€™t just establish Haki as the counter to Devil Fruit powers, and then have Luffy tank 50+ Advanced Koka infused hits to his weakpoints without actually ever losing the fight. It kinda takes away the tension from future OP fights, knowing that the main character is more invincible than Kaido.

The only worse decision that Oda couldโ€™ve made PL wise, was to make Luffyโ€™s ass-pull power up against Katakuri completely redundant by having him get low diffed by a Yonko afterwards. Imagine that level of retardation. Lol

Luffy had actual real stamina against Doflamingo. Oda had to start the fight off by having law weaken Doffy, as we know Doffy was just too strong of a Pirate for Luffy to defeat at the time. Then both Luffy and Doffy showed signs of tiring as the fight went on, even requiring Gats to carry him away for a little while so that he could rest before continuing the fight. This is imo, a proper way to add tension to a fight, because Luffy was at his limit and yet still had to find a way and perservere to win the fight anyway. Unlike in Katakuri, where Luffy is just invincible and nothing matters.

So yeah, overall Doffy blows Kuri away.

EDIT: well, this aged poorly lol.

Last edited:

Bogard

You can't win
โ€Ž
Unfair match-up. Doffy's character has been on the way since chapter 233 when Katakuri was introduced in the middle of a tea party. Obviously Doffy's character would be expanded much more. With that said, Doffy has some interesting backstory since he ended up knowing both heaven and hell from starting as a celestial dragon to end up as a commoner, but with the goal of taking back his worth.

Which allowed him to give interesting speeches like this one

Which was indirectly talking about himself considering he knew both heaven and hell.

Many major quotes(justice and evil, throne war) also come from him, making him a very pivotal character in this manga

With that said, in dressrosa he made some stupid decisions with underestimating Luffy being one of them, but overall he is a more developed character than Katakuri by a landside.

Doffy still get low diffed in a fight tho :kata:

Unfair match-up. Doffy's character has been on the way since chapter 233 when Katakuri was introduced in the middle of a tea party. Obviously Doffy's character would be expanded much more. With that said, Doffy has some interesting backstory since he ended up knowing both heaven and hell from starting as a celestial dragon to end up as a commoner, but with the goal of taking back his worth.

Which allowed him to give interesting speeches like this one

Which was indirectly talking about himself considering he knew both heaven and hell.

Many major quotes(justice and evil, throne war) also come from him, making him a very pivotal character in this manga

With that said, in dressrosa he made some stupid decisions with underestimating Luffy being one of them, but overall he is a more developed character than Katakuri by a landside.

Doffy still get low diffed in a fight tho :kata:
No idea why it needs to be "fair", especially from the viewpoint of Oda deciding to spend that time on one character instead of another.