Manga Discussion Fairy Tail

Yoho

โœŒ๐“ฃ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ข๐“ฒ๐“ถ๐“น๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฌ๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐”‚ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐“›๐“ฒ๐“ฏ๐“ฎโœŒ
โ€Ž
Lol at people thinking Lucy stands a chance against Faris
Don't underestimate Lucys resourcefulness, remember if it wasn't for her plan they would have never been able to trap Acnologia and Natsu would of never gotten that opening he needed

Yoho

โœŒ๐“ฃ๐“ฑ๐“ฎ ๐“ข๐“ฒ๐“ถ๐“น๐“ต๐“ฒ๐“ฌ๐“ฒ๐“ฝ๐”‚ ๐“ธ๐“ฏ ๐“›๐“ฒ๐“ฏ๐“ฎโœŒ
โ€Ž
Acnologia didn't murder them if they were officially nerfed all along.
Possible they hid their presence by developing their human forms as far as I remember Acnologia can't just sense dragons from anywhere on the planet so it's possible he overlooked them
Why didn't Dogramag also revive and power up? He was also a dragon god.
He probably did Mashima just hasn't shown him yet
Why didn't Ignia and Zeref 2 fight 1vs1 right there and then, again?
This was just setting the stage for what's to come

@Yoho I'm putting this in quotes as it's a very long answer to your answers and why I think nothing of this makes any sense, but since this is the only thread the fandom has I contained the "toxicity".
TL/DR: It doesn't hold up and it's pretty terrible to me but I continue to read this because I enjoy the characters and powers so I overlook everything else.

Possible they hid their presence by developing their human forms as far as I remember Acnologia can't just sense dragons from anywhere on the planet so it's possible he overlooked them
I get what you're saying but it's not good. It hasn't been good since the 100 years quest was first explained. I tell you this in good faith, not for the sake of being hateful towards the series.

Think of what this all does to Acnologia as a character. He was the guy who "1 vs everyoned" all dragons and hunt down any survivors.

Regarding whether or not he could "find" the dragon gods, we at least know he can pinpoint dragons from a big distance:
- It's how he found God Serena.
- After killing God Serena, he gave an exact count of the remaining dragons (slayers).
- After finding out about Irene being a dragon slayer, Acnologia was teleported to the most distant extreme of Fiore and ran straight to her (took him a while to arrive, though).

Him not having killed dragon slayers earlier is easily excusable. They hadn't been around for centuries, so he wasn't expecting them to pop out of nowhere and it took him some years to act. It's the opposite with the dragon gods. In Irene's case, he didn't know she was a dragon slayer until he faced her, but that can be attributed to her enchantments. Her whole human form was not a transformation like Acnologia's or Ignia's but magic faking her humanity.

The exceptions to "all the dragons in the world becoming extinct centuries ago" were all easily explainable. The same reasonings, however, don't work on the dragon gods, whose power levels only make matter worse. If guys that powerful could hide from him, nothing is stopping the author from further killing Acnologia's mythos by suddenly revealing there were thousands of dragons surviving in small communities around the world. Of course, Mashima, as an author, can just write that and justify it as "they were just hiding", and "it would be what it is", but it would be bad. In fact, taking into account that Suzaku's master (forgot the name) actually hunted dragons, this may very well be the case in this sequel.

Gildarts ran into Acnologia literally on that same continent, so at least we know for sure he wasn't always "far away on the planet". Acnologia chilled on a continent with active dragons that the humans of the continent knew about and even hunted them, but he did nothing about them or about the dragon slayers doing the hunting.

Just see how easily each of these dragon gods was found by our main characters. Literally no effort for the most part. Remember Acnologia had literal centuries for this, before they started building the labyrinth and putting this plan into action and sealing their powers, and they were "Acnologia-level", Acnologia was around. Did they, instead, reach Acnologia's level after they went into hiding? If so, how exactly did their power grow while actively hiding? How did Mercphobia even "hide" when he was passively releasing his power daily? Selene can be excused because she could travel between dimensions.

Then you have Elefseria: Elefseria was a dragon slayer running a guild called "Magia Dragon" right next to the dragon gods. Acnologia never found out about the guy? He was very renowned and the dragon gods all knew about him. Why didn't Acnologia? He created the first guild in history, with a dragon theme and name, and with a single quest about hunting dragons. He even sent out quest invitations to guilds of all the continents.

There's too many reasons why Acnologia should have looked into it all.

It's messy, and it's not good that the reader has to think up flawed excuses for the author because he gave none. Even with your answer, Acnologia comes off as inefficient and lazy at best and a coward at worst. Last chapter restored some of his hype regarding his power, at least, since the sequel had also previously murdered that. Before the sequel, he only came off as an extremely efficient and lethal beast.

It's not like the original series was "great" since the Tower of Heaven arc but it was better than this.

This was just setting the stage for what's to come
That's the meta explanation. There's no in-story explanation. I get why Mashima wanted this, what I don't get is why the characters chose this.

Each had their objective in front of them, it's against eachother's interest to let the other person cook:

- Ignia knows nothing about Zeref 2 and what she can do, he should be intimidated enough that she has Acnologia's powers and that he didn't even know she existed. The worst he could do is let her go.But then again, it's Zeref 2 who ran away, so it's her reasons we should look into.

- Zeref 2 believes to be stronger than Ignia and wants to fight him. The minions being around are irrelevant, they're for sure tiers below the two. She could have won everything she desires just by fighting Ignia and killing him right there. Instead, she chose to retreat and gather Oraciรณn 6 3.0 because the story needs a long arc and a group of enemies for the minor protagonists to fight. Ignia has just showed up he's always had aces under his belt to power up and is going to create and army, clearly an inconvenience for Zeref 2's objectives (and why she will now need her minions... but she wouldn't if she had just won right then and there).

It's not a smart move, which is why I wondered about an actual explanation. Why did she even go to confront him and reveal her existence and her intentions to destroy him, even flexing that "he's scared of her power" just to walk away? Why go in the first place? "The arc needs to happen" is not an explanation for the character's motivations.

I follow FT because I like the characters but I would unironically rank FT's writing as the worst one in shonen history that I can remember after Boruto. Boku no Hero and Reborn are not far behind.

He probably did Mashima just hasn't shown him yet
Hopefully he does, he was cool. But it's weird that Mashima would dedicate a chapter to show them all off and skip him despite naming him in the chapter itself.

Yoho

โ€Ž
@Yoho I'm putting this in quotes as it's a very long answer to your answers and why I think nothing of this makes any sense, but since this is the only thread the fandom has I contained the "toxicity".
TL/DR: It doesn't hold up and it's pretty terrible to me but I continue to read this because I enjoy the characters and powers so I overlook everything else.

I get what you're saying but it's not good. It hasn't been good since the 100 years quest was first explained. I tell you this in good faith, not for the sake of being hateful towards the series.

Think of what this all does to Acnologia as a character. He was the guy who "1 vs everyoned" all dragons and hunt down any survivors.

Regarding whether or not he could "find" the dragon gods, we at least know he can pinpoint dragons from a big distance:
- It's how he found God Serena.
- After killing God Serena, he gave an exact count of the remaining dragons (slayers).
- After finding out about Irene being a dragon slayer, Acnologia was teleported to the most distant extreme of Fiore and ran straight to her (took him a while to arrive, though).

Him not having killed dragon slayers earlier is easily excusable. They hadn't been around for centuries, so he wasn't expecting them to pop out of nowhere and it took him some years to act. It's the opposite with the dragon gods. In Irene's case, he didn't know she was a dragon slayer until he faced her, but that can be attributed to her enchantments. Her whole human form was not a transformation like Acnologia's or Ignia's but magic faking her humanity.

The exceptions to "all the dragons in the world becoming extinct centuries ago" were all easily explainable. The same reasonings, however, don't work on the dragon gods, whose power levels only make matter worse. If guys that powerful could hide from him, nothing is stopping the author from further killing Acnologia's mythos by suddenly revealing there were thousands of dragons surviving in small communities around the world. Of course, Mashima, as an author, can just write that and justify it as "they were just hiding", and "it would be what it is", but it would be bad. In fact, taking into account that Suzaku's master (forgot the name) actually hunted dragons, this may very well be the case in this sequel.

Gildarts ran into Acnologia literally on that same continent, so at least we know for sure he wasn't always "far away on the planet". Acnologia chilled on a continent with active dragons that the humans of the continent knew about and even hunted them, but he did nothing about them or about the dragon slayers doing the hunting.

Just see how easily each of these dragon gods was found by our main characters. Literally no effort for the most part. Remember Acnologia had literal centuries for this, before they started building the labyrinth and putting this plan into action and sealing their powers, and they were "Acnologia-level", Acnologia was around. Did they, instead, reach Acnologia's level after they went into hiding? If so, how exactly did their power grow while actively hiding? How did Mercphobia even "hide" when he was passively releasing his power daily? Selene can be excused because she could travel between dimensions.

Then you have Elefseria: Elefseria was a dragon slayer running a guild called "Magia Dragon" right next to the dragon gods. Acnologia never found out about the guy? He was very renowned and the dragon gods all knew about him. Why didn't Acnologia? He created the first guild in history, with a dragon theme and name, and with a single quest about hunting dragons. He even sent out quest invitations to guilds of all the continents.

There's too many reasons why Acnologia should have looked into it all.

It's messy, and it's not good that the reader has to think up flawed excuses for the author because he gave none. Even with your answer, Acnologia comes off as inefficient and lazy at best and a coward at worst. Last chapter restored some of his hype regarding his power, at least, since the sequel had also previously murdered that. Before the sequel, he only came off as an extremely efficient and lethal beast.

It's not like the original series was "great" since the Tower of Heaven arc but it was better than this.

That's the meta explanation. There's no in-story explanation. I get why Mashima wanted this, what I don't get is why the characters chose this.

Each had their objective in front of them, it's against eachother's interest to let the other person cook:

- Ignia knows nothing about Zeref 2 and what she can do, he should be intimidated enough that she has Acnologia's powers and that he didn't even know she existed. The worst he could do is let her go.But then again, it's Zeref 2 who ran away, so it's her reasons we should look into.

- Zeref 2 believes to be stronger than Ignia and wants to fight him. The minions being around are irrelevant, they're for sure tiers below the two. She could have won everything she desires just by fighting Ignia and killing him right there. Instead, she chose to retreat and gather Oraciรณn 6 3.0 because the story needs a long arc and a group of enemies for the minor protagonists to fight. Ignia has just showed up he's always had aces under his belt to power up and is going to create and army, clearly an inconvenience for Zeref 2's objectives (and why she will now need her minions... but she wouldn't if she had just won right then and there).

It's not a smart move, which is why I wondered about an actual explanation. Why did she even go to confront him and reveal her existence and her intentions to destroy him, even flexing that "he's scared of her power" just to walk away? Why go in the first place? "The arc needs to happen" is not an explanation for the character's motivations.

I follow FT because I like the characters but I would unironically rank FT's writing as the worst one in shonen history that I can remember after Boruto. Boku no Hero and Reborn are not far behind.

Hopefully he does, he was cool. But it's weird that Mashima would dedicate a chapter to show them all off and skip him despite naming him in the chapter itself.

Acnologia is 100% the most fumbled villain I've ever seen the way he was handled is atrocious especially for a dragon who was hyped for years before the final arc, he wasn't flushed out at all the only back story he got was shown in the Dragon Cry movie which in itself wasn't a very good movie at all, so you're right in that Acnologia should of at least looked into it but unfortunately he wasn't handled well at all

As for Faris, she's likely powerful in her own right but I highly doubt she's reached the strength Zeref or Acnologia reached she only got a portion of Acnologia's powers by absorbing his arm or maybe eating it, since it was said via dragon eaters you can get dragon abilities by eating the flesh of a dragon, no clue how she learned dark magic and how to make demons hopefully that's explained but it's possible she knew in a straight fight she wouldn't have been able to beat Ignia especially when his team was also there, escaping to grab her own team and fight another day was her best option also story wise it wouldn't be all that interesting imo if they just fought without any suspense or build up and I don't think she ever out right stated she was stronger than Ignia just that she wanted to represent the dark wizard role of the dragon king festival and show that she's worthy of the title

I think I know why he might not show up his spirit was tied to those balls that team natsu and the dragon eaters destroyed so I don't think he was ever really alive at the point of the story we saw him

I agree Fairy Tail isn't the most amazing story plot wise there's a lot of holes, some interactions don't make sense and many of the arcs feel rushed but it definitely has one of the best cast of characters and power systems, imo the GMG Arc and Tartaros arcs is when it peaked

Before those two the arcs where decent and very enjoyable but didn't have me on the edge of my seat

The arcs after those were rushed for example Alvarez would of been 1000x better if we had followed the Spriggan 12 and seen them pop up sporadically throughout the series along side Zeref rather than making it seem like Zeref was just a lone figure it would would built them up more and made finally seeing them in action worth the wait

Sorry if this reply is a bit long

Yoho

โ€Ž
@Moegara

Personally I'd put Fairy Tail in the same vein as dbz if you go in expecting an amazing plot then you'd probably be disappointed but if you're there just to watch the fights and fan of the characters it's a great watch

@Moegara

Personally I'd put Fairy Tail in the same vein as dbz if you go in expecting an amazing plot then you'd probably be disappointed but if you're there just to watch the fights and fan of the characters it's a great watch
It's actually the other way around for me.

Plot is actually good and well laid.

Fights are only until the most typical shounen type power up come out of nowhere.

Yoho

โ€Ž
It's actually the other way around for me.

Plot is actually good and well laid.

Fights are only until the most typical shounen type power up come out of nowhere.
I'm probably alone in this opinion but I really enjoy the fairy tail friend ship power ups knowing that they're getting stronger not because of some random unexplained reasoning but because they fight for their friends is awesome for me, my favorite power up is when Gajeel didn't want to let the rest of fairy tail down and absorbed rouges power to become the Iron Shadow Dragon Slayer that was a crazy power up

If you take the plot at face level just the bare bones of it, it's pretty good in fact amazing but sometimes it feels like somethings missing

@Moegara

I follow the manga, after all, so it's not like I don't find any merits in it.

The merits for me are some of the characters. Guys like Laxus that are pure hype whenever they appear.

But I can't help comment on the plot, it's borderline painful to me at times and these past two chapters are one of those times.

Fairy tail has good osts
Good side characters

Everything else is dogwater tho
Oh, yeah, it had epic bagpipes tracks IIRC. That was the one merit of the anime version.

Yoho

โ€Ž
You know the stakes are truly over the roof when the likes of Lucy and Gray are sent on a solo mission intro a rampaging dragon god's territory with an army of dragonized people at their disposal.