Manga Discussion Hajime No Ippo Discussion thread

Akai2

πŸ†‰πŸ…ΎπŸ†πŸ…Ύ πŸ†ƒπŸ…ΎπŸ…Ύ πŸ†‚πŸ†ƒπŸ†πŸ…ΎπŸ…½πŸ…Ί!
β€Ž
Nah I ain't here for all of that "If we lose but become stronger, it's a win" moral victory crap.

Sendo needs to WIN. Period.

Great fight so far. And great callback by Ricardo to his fight with Date.

Bogard

You can't win
β€Ž
Hmm i love this development

> Sendo facing a stronger opponents he couldn't match up before but growing stronger through the fight, and end up landing a hit, exciting both fighters
> Ricardo getting pumped up implying the match might end up soon
> Ippo starting to get jealous

It implies that Ippo is starting to love boxing again, which could somehow accelerate his return, with Ricardo preparing himself for a big show

Though not really liking how it keeps getting emphasized that Sendo didn't come to win

Akai2

β€Ž
Last week, I noted how Sendo was being set up for a "Even if I lost the match, I got stronger" moral victory. However, the way it was further emphasized during this chapter makes me think it's a red herring. Add to that Ippo clearly being inspired and moved by watching the man who retired him, and one of his top rivals fight at a world class level.

I believe if Sendo wins this fight, then Ipoo's, the only man to ever beat him, desire to come back will be far greater than any other considerations. He needs to have the tough conversation with Kumi, it needs to happen.

Also, on the actual fight, it's going at a great pace. Alf and Sendo have perfect matching styles to keep this going at this pace. I don't believe it'll be over soon, I honestly think it's still getting started.

Also gotta make note of how cool Ricardo is, his aura is that of an undefeated king! Man's unshakable.

Marimo_420

The Honoured One
β€Ž
Man, page 6 was probably the biggest troll in the whole chapter. Thought the arena fell silent cus Sendo finally clapped his ass.
:josad:

Great chapter once again. I loved how similar both fighter's perspective on each other was, which even Alf's gf mirrors. Beautiful to see.

Tbh I don't see Sendo coming back after this. He's taking far too much damage against someone on Alf's caliber, and the last panel cements that this will be his loss.

And @NeutralWatcher thanks for the chapter. (Almost forgot lol)

Last edited:

Akai2

β€Ž
Two savages slugging it out like it's a street brawl. Scientific boxing be damned.

Alf finding his in ring soul match made him forget about Ricardo! Now is this setting up a motivation for him to not be totally broken if he loses?

George is flexing with his artwork at this point, I felt that last punch as if it landed on me lol

Still betting on Sendo pulling through somehow, mainly because I think the narrative needs it for Ippo to comeback, but I also think Sendo vs Ricardo has been foreshadowed and that needs to be payed off somehow.

I hate how fast I read Ippo chapters, we need more pages dammit

Bogard

You can't win
β€Ž
Interesting, it's starting to get highlighted that Sendo and Gonzales are actually similar, with Sendo growing through the street level fight and Gonzales enjoying the fight so much he even temporarily forgot about Ricardo, and the little skip to Gonzales' girlfriend pointing out Sendo's dangerosity while on her way to watch Gonzales fight implies to me that Sendo should end up winning with Gonzales' probably ending up satisfied of having enjoyed a great street lvl fight

Akai2

β€Ž
I know this is not connected to current chapter events, but seeing Lisa in this chapter got me thinking about Kumi.

What do you think about Itakagi's crush on Kumi? Do you think it'll be addressed at some point? Or do you think it was just a passing scene and will not be brought up again? I personally love the little human drama elements in Ippo, and I'd like to see how Itakagi deals with the struggle of having a crush on your Senpai's girlfriend.

N

NeutralWatcher

I know this is not connected to current chapter events, but seeing Lisa in this chapter got me thinking about Kumi.

What do you think about Itakagi's crush on Kumi? Do you think it'll be addressed at some point? Or do you think it was just a passing scene and will not be brought up again? I personally love the little human drama elements in Ippo, and I'd like to see how Itakagi deals with the struggle of having a crush on your Senpai's girlfriend.
I think the last time Itagaki showed any feeling for Kumi was during Mashiba vs Sawamura. After that I remember Itagaki has some sort of feeling toward Mari when Mari asked Itagaki to have a walk. Itagaki was disappointed when he found out that Mari only wated to interview Itagaki for his victory over Saeki.

For now I think it's difficult to know who Itagaki has a crush on. He is still young so I think he has a lot of time to develop a crush on someone else beside Kumi.

I think at some point if Morikawa really want to push rivalry between Ippo and Itagaki for Kumi's affection, Morikawa would make Itagaki leave Kamogawa gym due to his jealousy of Ippo for his ranking and his relationship with Kumi.

Akai2

β€Ž
He needs to drop kick her

Not exactly the way I'd deal with an overprotective girlfriend :usoprice:
She's letting her feelings about boxing from watching her brother cloud her judgment a little bit. And Ippo is a non-confrontational dude so he doesn't push back. They need to have the conversation about his return, her feelings are coming from a place of love definitely, but she needs to see Boxing's worth in Ippo's life from his perspective.
Post automatically merged:

For now I think it's difficult to know who Itagaki has a crush on. He is still young so I think he has a lot of time to develop a crush on someone else beside Kumi.
Exactly, that's the reason I asked if this subplot was gonna comeback. Young romantic attachment changes on a whim, so he might have moved on by now.

If it comes to him leaving out of jealousy it'd be a really heavy arc, but I like those drama storylines.

Akai2

β€Ž
I'm eating this fight up. Just fight forever please!
I'm sure the referee stepped in because the round ended. Not worried about that being the actual conclusion.
It's great to see Sendo and Alf bond while punching the crap outta each other. And Ippo is getting that itch again. It's happening folks.