Character Discussion "I Am Oden!!"

Do Yamato's words make sense to you

• Yes

• No

• She's crazy

Results are only viewable after voting.
Yamato's remark in the latest chapter:

Some people were really put off by the above statement of Yamato's, so I thought I might make the effort to try and explain where Yamato is coming from here, and why I found this scene acceptable — maybe even appropriate — unlike a couple of her other Oden moments.

Yamato's Aspirations to Oden Executed Poorly
An example of a scene that I think was not appropriate was Yamato's reaction following Luffy asking her to protect Momonosuke.

Yamato declares that Momonosuke was her son, announced herself to him as Oden then proceeding to chase him across Onigashima. I think it was intended to be lighthearted comedy, but I didn't really feel it. I found it to be pretty cringe and tasteless humour.

Yamato isn't actually Oden, and insomuch as she aspires to be him, it's not in the sense of physically becoming him (and hence Momonosuke's parent), but living up to the ideal he embodied.

The above was not that.

Yamato's Aspirations to Oden in 1014
What happened in 1014 was Yamato affirming that she's no longer a prisoner and that she has/will now become Oden:

She was declaring her freedom, and affirming that she was closer to the ideal of Oden she aspires to. She was closer to becoming Oden.

I think it's supposed to contrast Kaido saying that Luffy couldn't become Joy Boy:

An Explanation of Yamato's Aspirations to Oden
Yamato was inspired by Oden's life:

So inspired, that she made his journal her Bible:

She seeks to become Oden:

After Luffy freed her, she declared that today is the day that she becomes Oden:

What Does it Mean, to "Become Oden"?
Becoming Oden has certain connotations for Yamato.

To become Oden means the freedom to explore the open sea, no longer chained to one small island:

To become Oden means that she should fulfil his unfinished will:
  • His will to open Wano's borders:
  • His will to vanquish Kaido:

To become Oden means an unyielding and uncompromising resolve. She should never back down, never give up no matter what:

To become Oden may require to protect Momonosuke, so that he may guide the world to its Dawn:

To become Oden may require her to assist in preparing Wano for Joy Boy's return, or perhaps to protect Momonosuke so that he can do so:

To become Oden means that she should embark on her own grand adventure:

Conclusions
Yamato's scene in 1014 is consistent with what we know of her character, and is kind of thematic.

Because Luffy is more free than her, Yamato tells him that perhaps he's more Oden than her:

For Yamato, Kozuki Oden isn't just — or perhaps not at all — a person, he's an ideal.

It may be the case that Yamato inheriting Oden's will was (part of) what Oden referred to when he said his soul would live on:

Method Acting 101.

I am Oden = I am free

To Yamato Oden is someone that fought for freedom and chased his dreams of seeing the world no longer being bound to Wano

Can't wait for Oda to dive deep into Yamato's goals and ambitions since for some reason readers still don't understand.
Yeah almost Synonymous with Freedom.
Yamato is Braveheart!

Shisui

Never Feed The Badders Pasta
Ngl as much as I like Yamato, I am not feeling the whole Oden persona. It doesn't help that I am not particularly fond of Oden but I do agree with every single thing op has said. Why are ppl bitching about facts? Ain't like OP is going around forcing ppl to like Yamato. All he is doing is making threads so ppl have a better understanding of the character.

Ngl as much as I like Yamato, I am not feeling the whole Oden persona. It doesn't help that I am not particularly fond of Oden but I do agree with every single thing op has said. Why are ppl bitching about facts? Ain't like OP is going around forcing ppl to like Yamato. All he is doing is making threads so ppl have a better understanding of the character.
People just have hate boners for dumb reasons.
It's hate/disgusted, neutral, like, Love her.
The Oden shtick isn't that bad, nor is Oden... the dislike is overblown. Nobody has given real argumentative points. So I shit on them.
:luuh:

Oden was the JoyBoy. Momonosuke too weak both physically and mentally to become it. Yamato was 8 when she saw Oden execution and at that time started her crazy idea(is crazy anyway) of becoming Oden probably getting a beat from Kaido by that(maybe the first?). It's odd though that Kaido kind of respect her idea of becoming man because he calls her Son and all subordinates also call her as a man.
Yamato is the one becoming JoyBoy because she is Oden(hope she also have his sexual drive).

But she is crazy anyway.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Y’all thought I was kidding, but it’s only a manner of time until we get this shit:

Yeah this shit was weird as hell:

The “I am Oden” shit never made sense to me but this scene took it to a really weird place lol. Knowing Oda, he’ll eventually draw scenes like this between Yamato and Momo

With Yamato claiming that it’s fine since she is Momonosuke’s father

I find the double standards annoying.
You guys are fine with the idiots who claim their other genders etc but If Yamato is just acting as if she's Oden etc it's the epitome of cringe.
Fuck you guys have the priorities completely fucked up.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
I find the double standards annoying.
You guys are fine with the idiots who claim their other genders etc but If Yamato is just acting as if she's Oden etc it's the epitome of cringe.
Fuck you guys have the priorities completely fucked up.
Because gender is a societal construct that actually means nothing while Oden is a completely different person than Yamato?

Because gender is a societal construct that actually means nothing while Oden is a completely different person than Yamato?
Your born as a male or female, you can't change that. Yamato is acting as Oden, she's just filling in his shoes.
The insanity levels are not comparable.
Yamato has some issues but it's nothing in comparison to the RW issue these fools have.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
Your born as a male or female, you can't change that.
With the exception of people born with both sets of genitalia or other characteristics that don’t fit into the typical definition of male and female.

Yamato is acting as Oden, she's just filling in his shoes.
She claimed that she literally is Momonosuke’s father. She isn’t claiming that she inherited Oden’s will, she is claiming that she literally is him.

With the exception of people born with both sets of genitalia or other characteristics that don’t fit into the typical definition of male and female.

She claimed that she literally is Momonosuke’s father. She isn’t claiming that she inherited Oden’s will, she is claiming that she literally is him.
We don't let the minority dictate the majority.

Like I said she's a little bit insane but to her she's only acting as if she's Oden, it's all an act. If case you fucking forgot, we've had plenty of characters acting as another this arc as well as this Arc having different acts. It's just a theme. Jesus christ.

Lee Ba Shou

Conqueror of the Stars
We don't let the minority dictate the majority.
What a puny-brained comment lol. By that logic, since there are more men than women on earth, that means we shouldn’t acknowledge women and every human is a man. “We don’t let the minority dictate the majority!!”

Like I said she's a little bit insane but to her she's only acting as if she's Oden, it's all an act. If case you fucking forgot, we've had plenty of characters acting as another this arc as well as this Arc having different acts. It's just a theme. Jesus christ.
All of Wano is shit, but Yamato stands by herself in a class of cringe lol. It’s one thing to inherit someone’s will, it’s another thing to claim you literally are an entirely different person.