Character Discussion "I Am Oden!!"

Do Yamato's words make sense to you

• Yes

• No

• She's crazy

Results are only viewable after voting.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
I wouldn't say that. She dresses akin to Oden because he's the ideal she aspires to.

Yeah... But no, it doesn't make any sense. Oda thought it would be a good idea and that it would be funny. I don't think she is crazy but this idea was plain stupid.
It's not funny and it's embarrassing to hear her say that everytime she gets an opportunity
If Oden inspired her with the life he lived and the book he wrote, fine, no need to run around saying she is Oden and I get the "why" she says that, still not enough to say it
I think it's fitting with her character as presented.

Oden is the ideal she aspires to. I think this is best captured here in these two scenes:

Yamato doesn't want to be free because Oden was free; she wants to be Oden because Oden was free.

Yamato has been a prisoner since childhood. She's lived her life physically shackled to Onigashima and mentally shackled to the role that Kaido had fashioned for her. She wanted to be free from those shackles.

Oden's life inspired her. He was someone that wasn't bound by anything. Someone that lived his life as he pleased. To a caged bird like Yamato, Oden was the embodiment of what it meant to be free.

This is why she tells Ace:

Yamato said:
I want to live as free as Oden did.
This line is the essence of Yamato's character. This pursuit of freedom, is the most important defining trait about Yamato.

@Inzziuma.

I don't think their desire for freedom is even comparable either. For Luffy, freedom is some fuzzy abstract notion and not anything concrete. Luffy was already mostly free.
No it’s not. Luffy has always known, at least subconsciously that he and the rest of the world are not free and can never be free while they live under the Celestial Dragons. He learned that lesson the hard way when Sabo ‘died’ trying to live outside his parents’ toxic expectations. For Luffy, the pursuit of freedom has always had real, tangible consequences. It is in no way an abstract or feel good pipe dream for him.

I get that you dislike Yamato aspiring to Oden and I understand that you dislike her. I understand your reasons for disliking trying to emulate someone else. I'm not really trying to challenge that opinion.

I just don't get the feeling that you really engaged with what I was saying?
Your poll has the option for people to opine that Yamatrash is a crazy demented bitch for prattling on about Oden. I was responding to that question.

Also, I did engage with the topic. I don’t care if Oden is an abstract ideal to her (he’s not, otherwise she wouldn’t be pretending to be Momo’s father). I don’t care how she sees him, I don’t care what kind of nutty delusions her developmentally stunted brain came up with in 30 years of unemployment and zero responsibilities. If a character is talking crazy and being a nut job, they’re being a nut job. Doesn’t matter what kind of justification Oda or the fandom cooks up for them.

Doesn’t matter what she meant, it’s cringe and shallow as fuck to base your identity and aspirations entirely on a single man, going so far as to announce to his actual biological family and loyal friends that you are that person. There is nothing more tasteless than that. Even Weevil, cringe as he is, doesn’t go as far as to say that he is Whitebeard or the living proof of his legacy or anything equally gross. So what if Laido of the 100 hostages doesn’t think Luffy can be Joy Boy? No one cares, not even Luffy. Luffy would never want to become Joy Boy because unlike Yamatrash, he knows who he really is - a boy inspired by Shanks, but who isn’t Shanks and doesn’t aspire to be.

Oda’s Oden wank is truly insufferable. From the lame Kiku ‘death’ to this retarded ‘shout ‘I am Oden from the rooftops’ penis envy that Yamatrash has going on, he needs to lay off and let people experience the characters as independent beings.

Luffy wants to be free. Is he gonna start saying ‘I am Shanks’ or ‘I am Roger’ now? Please for the love of all things good and holy, don’t. Just... don’t.
Fuck, you take shit way to seriously.
Post automatically merged:

She's just trying to become the best she can be frome her role model. It's both a gag and to be taken serious. But people going crazy...

The toxic One Piece fanbase is making me dislike Yamato now. Not specifically Cinera nor someone like Den Den who thinks they are trash. Its just the whole Oden, gender thing going on. Everyone is at each others throats based on what Yamato prefers or what they are. Why Oda had to start this up during a very important arc in One Piece and continue to drag it out is beyond me. Just make a strong confirmation on the whole thing and be done with it. Theres a lot more important information we are getting that should be the main focus as we are nearing the end of this manga.

Not really. Yamato makes some choices that have nothing to do with Oden at all:
  • Knocking out Ulti.
  • Her fight with Luffy.
  • Telling Luffy her story.
  • Fighting Ace to stop his rampage on Onigashima.
  • Her decision to break Kaido's dragon statue.
  • Befriending Ace.
  • Making a Vivre Card for Ace.

Yamato doesn't think "what would Oden do". She doesn't try to do what Oden would do in a given situation.
I think it might be more subconsciously rather than actively thinking about what Oden would do. Which is almost impossible to prove, but it would make sense. Yamato has basically grown up with Oden as his only source of inspiration, like a child reading about superheroes and then imitating to be one. Only that Yamato has been stuck in that mindset for 20 years without any new experiences of the outside world.

All these examples you're listing aren't exactly things I would say differentiate Yamato from Oden. They're things I'd believe Oden would also do in these situations without outright stating it as such. Bartolomeo might be the closest example to what Yamato is doing - worshipping Luffy, getting inspired by him and being brought to tears by his actions. Yet he is still doing things that would be unimaginable for someone like Luffy, like mocking an entire audience by peeing in front of them or threatening to cut someone's tongue off.

In contrast we have Yamato, saying he's obviously Momo's father or that he's a man because Oden was one as well. That's nothing an independent person would say.

Her character is trash, and will be trash until she gets over the Oden cosplay

I am convinced people only like her due to her character design which is a valid reason, but you cannot convince me it's due to her personality or character
You can like a character and not like every single thing about them. Some times you take it in stride.
If you think she's trash for a little thing like what she does with that, it's a you problem.

If you think she's trash for a little thing like what she does with that, it's a you problem.
"little thing" lol her whole character is about being Oden. It's literally one of the first things she says and keeps repeating every other chapter or so.

Of course it is a me problem, liking/hating a character is all subjective. I am not a god and forcing you to share my opinion.

"little thing" lol her whole character is about being Oden. It's literally one of the first things she says and keeps repeating every other chapter or so.

Of course it is a me problem, liking/hating a character is all subjective. I am not a god and forcing you to share my opinion.
It is a little thing. It's part of her character yes, but it's not everything. She desires Freedom for both herself and her role model Oden... she was trapped for 20 years by her father, handcuffed with Explosives. She's been just as oppressed as Wano has and is using Odens name to make a stand.
You can have an opinion and I'm free to call it shit.
Post automatically merged:

Your mental health is certainely not good if you take fanboyism to such an insane degree that you call yourself like your idol or say that his son is your son.
You base your opinion as if this is the real world. If you're looking for realism, One Piece isn't for you as it Overexaggerates so go find another manga.

It is a little thing. It's part of her character yes, but it's not everything..
I didn't say is everything, but to dismiss it as a little thing is just false. It's like saying Sanji's simping is a little thing, breaking news if the reader is being constantly reminded of a character trait it is not a little thing.

She desires Freedom for both herself and her role model Oden... she was trapped for 20 years by her father, handcuffed with Explosives. She's been just as oppressed as Wano has and is using Odens name to make a stand.
None of this matters, her wanting to be like someone is totally fine. Her constantly talking about that person, saying she is that person is annoying and personally a terrible message to send. You don't need to be someone else to achieve your goals.

You can have an opinion and I'm free to call it shit.
Someone is hurt I don't idolize Yamato lmao

I didn't say is everything, but to dismiss it as a little thing is just false. It's like saying Sanji's simping is a little thing, breaking news if the reader is being constantly reminded of a character trait it is not a little thing.

None of this matters, her wanting to be like someone is totally fine. Her constantly talking about that person, saying she is that person is annoying and personally a terrible message to send. You don't need to be someone else to achieve your goals.

Someone is hurt I don't idolize Yamato lmao
I don't care if you don't idolize Yamato. You're barking up the wrong tree there. But I will tell you why I think your thoughts are shit. Take it or leave it.