Character Discussion King is a Katakuri rip-off.

King is not a Katakuri rip-off but they sure share some similarities just how King shares it with Marco and Shiryuu which makes him character and design wise very interesting.

Also, Kata slander is strong in this thread again...

Stop it with this garbage. He lost.

Just because he can move it doesn't mean he can fight.
If honestly call Luffy vs Katakuri a tie from combat perspective but Luffy won the battle emotionally and morally. It was a symbolically victory which proved Luffys ideals were greater than Katakuris and that's what I don't consider you beneath my level meant.

But I don't think Luffy surpasses Katakuri until chapter 1000. Chapter 1000 vs Katakuri is debatable but chapter 1010 Luffy certainly beats Katakuri.

If honestly call Luffy vs Katakuri a tie from combat perspective but Luffy won the battle emotionally and morally. It was a symbolically victory which proved Luffys ideals were greater than Katakuris and that's what I don't consider you beneath my level meant.

But I don't think Luffy surpasses Katakuri until chapter 1000. Chapter 1000 vs Katakuri is debatable but chapter 1010 Luffy certainly beats Katakuri.
There was nothing moral about it. Once Luffy got FS (even inconsistent) he became stronger than Katakuri.

He literally laid it out that the only thing keeping him from surpassing Katakuri was "being able to see a little bit into the future".

I never once implied that Marco or Kizaru or King was always moving at their top speeds. The key word here is "keep up" because they were engaging each other in prolonged combat.

And I still scale Kizaru over Marco and Marco over King when it comes to speed. Unless proven otherwise ofcourse.

King's flame punch was aimed to kill a crucifixed Zoro and was in his base form. Do you think King would deliver that punch at his fastest speeds? Ofcourse, with the same move which blocked Yasakani no Magatama - significantly faster than a casual flame punch from King aimed at a healing Zoro - Marco stops that punch.

What we know for sure is that King fought Marco offscreen and was able to beat him after hours of combat. Doesn't that mean their combat speeds are comparable at the very least?

So Doflamingo will be able to keep up with Hybrid Kaido?

Base Luffy, even while using Future Sight, was signficantly slower in Chapter 1009 when you compare the same thing to the current Luffy. He simply wasn't able to keep up with Hybrid Kaido.

Did you even take the time to read the argument that I posted? I really don't think so.

And that's 100 percent faulty logic. You're using King keeping up with Marco, and Marco intercepting Kizaru as a means to scale both of them above Luffy and Katakuri.

Is King keeping up with the Phoenix form version of Marco that intercepted Kizaru? Has Marco been moving at that level of speed during his fight against King, Queen, and a ton of fodders?

All you're doing is assuming Marco is just always that fast, or that there is instances of Marco being that fast that aren't shown, and King is matching it, so therefore King scales to that fast.

And that's a direct contradiction to you admitting that you know there is different levels of speed feats, but yet you are are still arguing that King is fast because he scales to Marco keeping up with Kizaru, yet you admit Marco isn't always moving that fast.

So again I ask. Provide proof that King is matching the level of speed Marco used when he was in Phoenix form, and intercepted Kizaru, which proves he himself scales to that speed. Cause all I am getting from you is that you understand characters aren't always moving that fast, but somehow you think King is scaling to that level despite everything being off-paneled, and nothing suggests it.

I don't know if a rip off, but I find it troublesome that three out of five top subordinates of emperors are wearing similar attires of dark leather, skulls and spikes, to the point both King and Shiryu are wearing absurdly comparable uniforms —especially if Zoro ends up fighting the latter too. Doesn't seem like Oda felt inspired enough, nor that he has creativity to depict the badassness I assume he wants for these characters without resorting to the edgiest, easiest tricks.

At the end of the day, both Katakuri and King follow different foundations (one would be meant to clash with his family themes both to reinforce the facade personality and his bet on Luffy, while the other is obviously designed to convey torture themes), but I think King should have been executed differently because between his copycat of Shiryu's uniform and his "hiding face" issue he's bound to fall in the middle of his two fellow commanders.

T

Tyronejenkins

1- both of them are around the same age:
King: 47 years old
Katakuri: 48 years old

2- both of them are YC1 of their respective Yonko crew, and the right hand men of their captains

3- both of them wear the same manner of dark black edgy spiked leather clothes:

4- both of them say the same line in the anime:

5- both of them have bounties over 1 billion:
Katakuri: 1,057,000,000
King: 1,390,000,000

6- both them hide/cover their faces and get angry when someone sees it:

7- both of them have the same crimson red eye color:

8- both of them have tattoos on their bodies:

9- both of them have a calm, collected and stoic personality, preferring to talk less.

10- finally, both of them end up fighting the 2 strongest in the Straw Hats crew who have Conquerors Haki (Luffy & Zoro respectively) in 1v1.

Why is Oda repeating Katakuri's character for a second time in Wano?
Far too early to judge. My hunch is that you're completely wrong and kings personality/backstory ends up being very different from katakuri.

king n kata anly similar in design if king is really lunarian n have back story he would have very different background from kata
so far we know a lot about katakuri but none from king even his combat ability only displayed now
gonna wait n see if oda really rip off king form kata

ConquistadoR

The Rogue Prince
And that's 100 percent faulty logic. You're using King keeping up with Marco, and Marco intercepting Kizaru as a means to scale both of them above Luffy and Katakuri.

Is King keeping up with the Phoenix form version of Marco that intercepted Kizaru? Has Marco been moving at that level of speed during his fight against King, Queen, and a ton of fodders?

All you're doing is assuming Marco is just always that fast, or that there is instances of Marco being that fast that aren't shown, and King is matching it, so therefore King scales to that fast.

And that's a direct contradiction to you admitting that you know there is different levels of speed feats, but yet you are are still arguing that King is fast because he scales to Marco keeping up with Kizaru, yet you admit Marco isn't always moving that fast.

So again I ask. Provide proof that King is matching the level of speed Marco used when he was in Phoenix form, and intercepted Kizaru, which proves he himself scales to that speed. Cause all I am getting from you is that you understand characters aren't always moving that fast, but somehow you think King is scaling to that level despite everything being off-paneled, and nothing suggests it.
Because it absolutely makes sense for Marco to move as fast as he could when he's taking on Commanders who aren't that weaker than him?

You seem to misunderstand one thing.

Marco "keeping up with Kizaru" does not necessarily talk about the Yasakani no Magatama scene alone. It means that his speeds are generally at the same range as a casual Kizaru, even though the fight was offpaneled. Else Marco would be overwhelmed which isn't the case.

Similarily King "keeping up with Marco" does not necessarily mean King should be matching Marco's top speed all the time. It means that his speeds are generally at the same range as Marco (who used everything that he's got to stall him btw). Even though the fight was offpaneled, this is a conclusion that you absolutely can draw, based on the fact that Marco seems to be beaten by King and both have the same speed based fighting style.

King is also fast enough to speed blitz the entire BMP off of the cliff and both Big Mom and her crew (Smoothie, Daifuku and Perospero, all of whom have long range abilities, were there btw in addition to Big Mom) couldn't react/intercept him.

We also directly have a speedfeat in this chapter where he could drag Zoro from the live floor to the edge of Onigashima within seconds.

King is absolutely fast lol.

What you are effectively saying is that, "A speedster who beats another speedster should not be scaled to same general speeds, because the fight was offpaneled." Katakuri and Snakeman are slower, until shown otherwise.

Yea seems a rip off for me.
Katakuri is very versatile fighter who can use 3 colors of haki with awakening and future sight,also a weapon user with balance between power and speed.his personality is interesting as well.so he is a great character.

meanwhile king only shows brute force with very unefficient way of fight. If king cannot pulling some adv haki stuff or some kind unique power of his own, he will be legit a katakuri rip off with less talent and potential as character.

Kitkat favors a pretty popular and refined way of fighting. Has a really good niche that was hyped up by the man Rayleigh himself too. Good design, very different and in contrast to his family. Backstory is weak though.

King is just… a background? But thats slowly changing although that doesn’t really mean much given he already let Zoro get to the rooftop easily and is only starting to go all out. He hasnt stood out in a significant way like Marco and Kitkat did in their introduction. King was just trash talked by Queen lmao

I guess fighting King is just so much more underwhelming after fighting Kaido?

I don't think the uniform is a big deal,otherwise every marine would be badly written character,which is not the case!
Magellan and Douglas Bullet also had the same uniform!What matters in the characters backstory and feats!