Fanclub Kuraigana - Mihawk Fan Club

Does Mihawk have COC?

• Yes

• No

• May be

Results are only viewable after voting.

Usually I don't like cosplays, but this guy did really a good job.

The special thing about this pic is that we can't see clearly his face, this makes the cosplay even more accurate because the difference between a manga face and a real face is like the difference between ground and sky. And this could be extremely jarring.
So it's a good thing that we can't see his face, this photo was truly taken with best angle

W

wordyworm

Usually I don't like cosplays, but this guy did really a good job.

The special thing about this pic is that we can't see clearly his face, this makes the cosplay even more accurate because the difference between a manga face and a real face is like the difference between ground and sky. And this could be extremely jarring.
So it's a good thing that we can't see his face, this photo was truly taken with best angle
Yeah, there are very few Mihawk cosplays that I can even stand to look at tbh. This guy has the right build as well-- not scrawny but not over muscled. I thought it was DannyHawk at first, but I think Danny has a different coat.
http://www.instagram.com/_dannyhawk_/

One thing that's always an instant NO from me is when they've done Yoru wrong. I can forgive some things, but not that!

W

wordyworm

Mihawk's Patience

After Mihawk calls him a frog in a well, Zoro (predictably) charges at him. This is after Mihawk has already called him a weakling, implied he's not a competent swordsman, explained how big the world is, explained that East Blue is the weakest sea, told him that it was worthless to fight him, and insulted him by fighting with the kogatana.

Z: 世界がこんなに遠いハズはねェ!!!
The world shouldn’t be so far away! / The world can’t be this far away!

Z: この距離はねェだろう!!
この遠さはねェだろう!!
This distance can’t be!
This remoteness can’t be!

Aaaaaaand Zoro still doesn't get it, so he gets whumped.

Mihawk says: なんと凶暴な剣か
“What ferocious/vicious/brutal/savage swordsmanship.”

Zoro is in a full panic, something we haven’t really seen before. He keeps repeating that the gulf between him and Mihawk can’t really be this far. He’s fixated on the thought; and the only thing he knows to do is to hit harder and faster in the hopes that he can wear Mihawk down.

Mihawk is AGHAST and almost disgusted. Just seconds ago, he was telling Zoro about the wisdom of using a gentle sword, and Zoro had seemed to agree with him. But now, as soon as Zoro realizes how strong Mihawk is, he jumps into this frenzy of KLANG KLANK GIKIN KIN.

Not only did Mihawk tell him directly that there’s no value in swordplay based only on force, he also brought out his kogatana to prove that fact, but Zoro isn’t listening.

Mihawk, despite his reputation, cuts Zoro a ton of slack in this scene, not to mention that he also avoids killing him three times (kogatana stab, when he breaks Zoro's swords, and when he slashes Zoro at the end).

Mihawk's impressive feat aside, I want to point out how he tells Perona to follow him even before she could ask him to wait for her.

I'm saying this because Mihawk could have turned back without saying nothing to Perona, so that we would have had Perona complaining about this.
This last scenario is a typical clichè tbh, I'm glad that authors did something different.

Instead Mihawk outright called her to follow him

W

wordyworm

Mihawk's impressive feat aside, I want to point out how he tells Perona to follow him even before she could ask him to wait for her.

I'm saying this because Mihawk could have turned back without saying nothing to Perona, so that we would have had Perona complaining about this.
This last scenario is a typical clichè tbh, I'm glad that authors did something different.

Instead Mihawk outright called her to follow him
He knows her well! He expects that she would rather stay and watch the rest of the events, lol.

W

wordyworm

Zoro's Job Interview

Mihawk: 何を背負う
What do you carry on your back?/What burdens you?

Is Mihawk asking about the vague reference Zoro made about “a promise to a friend” earlier? Or is he just asking, “Why are you like this???”

強さの果てに何を望む
What do you wish for/desire at the pinnacle/end/limit of your strength?

Mihawk is always asking questions and looking to gather information. He can learn a lot about Zoro by just assessing him as a swordfighter, but he wants to know what’s going on in Zoro’s mind.

“What are you hoping to achieve when you get strong?” is almost like a job interview question. Does it have a right answer? Zoro already told him that he wanted to be the strongest, but Mihawk pushes him further. What do you want to do?

Mihawk is emphasizing again that strength for strength’s sake is meaningless. I wonder what young Mihawk’s answer to the same questions would have been. What did he want to do with his strength?

弱き者よ…
O weak one…

Mihawk can’t resist getting in a little dig at the end, tho.
But Johnny and Yosaku won't stand for that!
Yosaku doesn’t call Mihawk “Buzzard Eye;” he calls him “batten yarou” or “cross guy/bastard.”
罰点 (batten) is the X a teacher uses to mark a student’s error. The kanji are literally “punishment mark.” Mihawk is an X Bastard.

Luffy knows that Zoro wouldn’t want to cheapen this fight by having J&Y interfere. That panel shows Luffy’s commitment to Zoro’s dream and sets the tone for the next arc with Nami and Arlong. He knows that Zoro needs to fight this one himself, both for his honor and so that–win or lose–Zoro will know how he measured up on his own against his dream.

It reminds me of the Luffy and Sanji reunion in WCI when Luffy said, “I know, that’s just how you are!” He accepts that his crew needs to make certain decisions for themselves, even if it’s not what he would have chosen for them.

It also contrasts with Sanji’s current attitude:
Right now for Sanji, security is worth more than freedom, and that makes sense given Sanji’s background.

Zoro though, has actually had pretty good luck following his dream: he found Koshiro, Rika, J&Y, Luffy, and even Mihawk. He has no reason to stop striving or hold back now, and that's why he keeps fighting despite being outmatched.
Mihawk just sent Zoro to the deck with a really weird strike. His right hand starts in front of him, then he brings it up to his left side as high as his head. Try it! It’s not only awkward, but it doesn’t use the strongest arm muscles. This is a deflection, not an attack. He let Zoro fall due to his own momentum.

Everything that Mihawk has done in the fight so far has been defensive. He’s only parried, dodged, and deflected while Zoro attacked. He did WHUMP Zoro earlier:
But again, that’s more like swatting at an insect to get it away from you, not a real attack.

Mihawk has always been iffy as a villain. From the way we hear Gin, Zeff, and Krieg’s crew talk about him, we should expect him to just kill Zoro off the bat, but look at how he’s treated Zoro so far:
  • Answered his questions and discussed technique with him (gentle blades)
  • Gave him a geography lesson
  • Gave him several reality checks about his current level
  • Swished Zoro away twice instead of seriously attacking
  • Pressed him to define his motivation and goals
And yet, when Zoro gets back up after the 2nd deflection, he comes right for Mihawk with a Tora Gari without missing a beat.
And that’s when Mihawk said, “Fuck it, I’m stabbing him.”