Future Events Long Live ZKK

How likely is ZKK?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Disclaimer
This is something I wrote just after Chapter 1012 for some folks on the Zoro Discord Server. It's a bit dated.

I never really planned on posting it here after returning from my hiatus, but @Roronoa-sama requested it, so here you go.

As usual, I tag a lot of people for my posts. If you want to be removed from my tag lists, let me know. Likewise, if you want to be added.

Long Live ZKK
Introduction
Recent chapters have been consistently undermining the case for Zoro Killing Kaido.

In Chapter 1010 Luffy thanked Zoro and Law for protecting him and asked them to leave matters to him. He declared that no matter what, he shall defeat Kaido:

In Chapter 1011, Law entrusted Luffy with defeating Kaido and left the Rooftop:

In Chapter 1012, Zoro himself asserted that Luffy will win:

Despite all of the above, I still think Zoro will get a dragon-slaying moment in Wano (likely over the Flower Capital).

I recommend reading @KiriNigiri's "Zoro's Second Confrontation With Kaido". It makes the case that Zoro has unfinished business with Kaido at much greater length.

I do not intend to rehash anything that was already covered in the above post, so I'll focus exclusively on the other reasons to believe that Zoro might yet slay Kaido.

The Necessity of Kaido's Death
I'd like to briefly recap the evidence in favour of Kaido's death (and why it's likely by beheading). If you've not read it yet, I recommend reading @Garp the Fist's "The Grand Kaido and Wano Death Compilation. It makes this argument at a much greater length.

Scabbards
The Scabbards expressed their desire to "take Kaido's head":

They stressed the need to "sever his windpipe":

They reiterated that the battle with Kaido is not over until he has been slain:

Oden
Oden himself has spoken of the need to kill Kaido.

He said that he came to cut off Kaido's head in his sleep:

He reiterated that he intends to behead Kaido:

Yamato
Yamato consented to Kaido's death:

Ace
Yamato said that Ace came to kill Kaido:

Ace himself stated that he's here to take Kaido's head:

Kaido
Finally, Kaido himself has repeatedly expressed his desire for (a glorious) death.

His introduction chapter is titled "Suicide":

He's searching for a place to die:

His hobby is suicide, and he laments that he survived his latest attempt:

He stated that because the Scabbards remind him of Oden, he could have let them kill him:

He believes that "death is what completes a person":

Conclusions
The necessity — you could even say the inevitability — of Kaido's death has been mentioned by at least five separate (groups of) characters:
  1. The Nine Scabbards
  2. Oden
  3. Yamato
  4. Ace
  5. Kaido himself
And even the Narrator!

If there's any character in One Piece that is destined for death, then it is without a doubt Hundred Beasts Kaido.

Zoro the Dragon Slayer
Now that I've covered why Kaido will die, I'd like to look at the evidence in favour of Zoro being the one to perform the deed. As I mentioned earlier, I'm not going to repeat anything that was covered in @KiriNigiri's "Zoro's Second Confrontation With Kaido" so please read it if you haven't already.

Character Statements
Yasuie
Yasuie's words at his execution have still not yet been vindicated:

This is pretty suggestive of Zoro being the one to take Kaido's head. This is what is normally called foreshadowing.

Supplementary Canon Material
One Piece Website

One Piece Magazines
One Piece Magazine Volume 5 said that Zoro might slay an Eastern Dragon:

In case there was any ambiguity about the Dragon they were referring to, they described Eastern Dragons with a picture of Kaido:

One Piece Magazine Volume 6 said that the Second Ryuma might have already been born:

It goes without saying, that Ryuma's most iconic legend is slaying a Dragon over the Flower Capital:

Shounen Jump Covers
The Shounen Jump cover for Issue 47 had the caption: "two pirates kill the evil spirit" with a picture of Zoro and Luffy crossing swords in front of Kaido:

One Piece Anime
The One Piece Anime Eye Catcher for Episode 973 featured Zoro slaying the Punk Hazard Dragon:

The Anime also spoiled that Kyoshiro is Denjiro.

Shimizu from Toei commented that the ending of Wano will be "surprising":

Trivia
One Piece Treasure Cruise described Zoro and Luffy as the saviours of Wano:

Interlude
Unless Oda has been consistently lying through his characters and supplementary canon material, he has set up Zoro to cut down Kaido and become a "saviour" to the people of Wano. Nothing Zoro has accomplished so far (blocking Hakai, scarring Kaido), qualify him for the title of a saviour. Especially when none of the Wano inhabitants witnessed his feats. If Zoro is to be recognised by the people of Wanokuni as a saviour — if he's to be acknowledged as the Second Ryuma — then he needs to replicate Ryuma's legend and deliver the country from its darkest hour.

Narrative
Leaving aside Yasuie's words and the supplementary material, Zoro seems to have been set up for something monumental/important in this arc. Even if he's not going to be recognised as the Second Ryuma, he needs to do something monumental that would cause the people of Wanokuni to acknowledge him.
  • He promised that he would round up the Samurai, but failed to do so.
  • He was scorned as a Grave Robber that stole Shusui and caused misfortune to befall the country.
    • He's requested to be taken to Ryuma's grave after the end of the battle.
  • The Scabbards (e.g. Kawamatsu) did not consider him to be someone worthy of receiving Enma.
Zoro needs to be recognised by the people of Wano. This requires him to accomplish something that they witness. As of now, Zoro hasn't had any such accomplishment.

Conclusions
Recent chapters have tempered my faith in ZKK, and I now think it's much less likely than I did a month ago. That said, I am not yet willing to write it off. Leaving aside whether Oda follows through with killing Kaido off, I still think it's more likely than not that Zoro will get his dragon-slaying moment where he cuts him down.

@Afroking
@Aknolagon
@Artorias
@bblue
@Benn beck
@bennbeckman
@BidaPowersTV
@Bittersteel
@Bogard

@Buggy D Clown
@Bullet
@Camie
@Celestial D. Dragon
@Chaves
@Cinera
@comrade
@Constantine
@Crooc
@Cross_Marian
@Cyrus the Cactus
@Dark Hound
@Dark Knight Sanji
@DarkWitch
@Den_Den_Mushi

@Dr. Spook
@DynaMight
@Elcadar
@Emperor
@Enma
@Fenaker
@Finalbeta
@Fleet Admiral Lee Hung
@Flower
@Fn Lucci
@Foxy Bunny
@Fukki
@Garp the Fist
@Garps tekkai
@Gauntlet
@Gensui Sazid
@Geo
@Gol D. Roger
@Gon’s Missing Arm
@Greenbeard
@Grumpy Zoro
@Guan Yu
@Guymieux
@h_zorothegoat
@HA001
@HAJIKATA
@Hanzo hattori
@Haoshoku
@HeroesNZ
@Himura
@I'mTired
@Ice devil slayer
@IceWitch
@Im_not_Osama_bin_laden
@Jack
@Jackteo
@Jew D. Boy
@JioFreed
@K!NG HARA$H!MA
@KageyamaShoyo
@Kejon
@KenshiraSonata
@KINGKONGGUN15
@KiriNigiri
@Kiwipom
@Kuro Ashi
@kurwa
@Light D Lamperouge
@Lucas
@Luffy bin Dragon
@Luffy is the mc
@LuffyMazino
@Luslec
@luthonthedragdown
@Marco
@Marimo_420
@MarimoHeado
@MarineHQ62
@MasterD
@matt245
@Midnight Delight
@Mikail
@Monet
@Monkey D Theories
@Monster trio
@MonsterZoro
@Mr. Anderson
@Murilo
@Nidai_Kitetsu
@nik87
@Oblivion
@OmegaPsyche
@Orojackson Refugee

@Parker
@Patryipe
@pedxi
@PerfectHie
@PizzaBread
@playa4321
@Princeley
@Punpun
@Queen
@RayanOO
@Reborn
@Reddot4
@rednose
@ReggieZoldyck21
@rerere
@Rivaille
@Robin swan
@Rosella.Fiamingo
@Rukusho
@RyumaZoro
@RZ.119
@Sade
@SaintBellkin
@Sakazuki-Singh
@Sakura no Hiluluk
@Salah WG
@Sanji D Cook
@Sentinel
@Seth
@Shadowlord123
@ShadyOjiro
@SHIHI
@ShinmenTakezo
@Shiroyru
@ShishioIsBack
@silverfire
@SinOfGreed
@Skiddo
@SmokedOut
@Soleus
@solis
@spawn
@Starbound Beast D. Draig
@stormylife
@style
@Sunita
@Sword God Ryuma
@T.D.A
@Tamerani
@Tenshi No Konan
@Ten Yaksha Blother
@Thabeast
@Tobi
@Topi Jerami
@Trafalgar_D_Law
@Usopp Haoshoku Haki
@Van
@Veljko
@Vonal
@WillOfMyD
@Winsmoke Sanji
@worst pirate
@Xione
@Xlaw
@yj
@Yo Tan Wa
@yorosenpai
@Yukihime
@yunzabit heights
@Zenos7
@ZenZu
@Zoro
@Zoro D Goat
@ZoroIsOverrated
@zorojurou
@ZoroSlaysDragonTuna
@Zowo
Amazingly written thread there is something very beautiful about these two working together and becoming Wano saviors i sure hope Oda gives Zoro that moment :catblush:

Y'all really want Oda to undermine his own narratives just so zoro can get another big dick moment.

The problem with this is something I brought up in my own thread. A major narrative of the arc is the alliance's faith in Luffy. Luffy told zoro to go down because he said he could win. While Luffy did lose just now, this is just a development in the same narrative. Oda is going to so that the alliance believed in Luffy's return even when it was improbable, underscoring Luffy's charisma and abilities as a leader.

In short Oda is doing the same thing he has done in every arc, put the entire population in danger and have them place their hopes on Luffy to save them. Its what happened in alabasta, its what happened in skypiea, its what happened in fishman island, and its what is happening here.

Can you not see how ZKK undermines this? This narrative doesn't make sense unless Luffy is the only one capable of beating kaido.
You're forgetting one more important narrative. If Zoro kills Kaido in front of everyone to see it would make him even more infamous than Luffy throughout the World.

So in a spread which should be of Shanks reading the newspaper of Luffy defeating Kaido and declaring it is now time for them to meet, we'll be greeted with a spread of Shanks reading the newspaper of how Zoro, Luffys subordinate, has killed the strongest Creature in the World. Very weird way for Oda to set up Shanks acceptance of Luffy becoming a Great Pirate.

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭
just say that you want zoro to have another epic moment and stop pretending like the narrative actually fits this
No, the strongest narrative tied to Kaido is his impending death:

The Necessity of Kaido's Death
I'd like to briefly recap the evidence in favour of Kaido's death (and why it's likely by beheading). If you've not read it yet, I recommend reading @Garp the Fist's "The Grand Kaido and Wano Death Compilation. It makes this argument at a much greater length.

Scabbards
The Scabbards expressed their desire to "take Kaido's head":
Just let us die!!! As Lord Oden's Samurai!!!​
Once we've taken your head that is!!!​
They stressed the need to "sever his windpipe":
Sever his windpipe!!
Stop his breathing!!
They reiterated that the battle with Kaido is not over until he has been slain:
This fight ain't over...​
...Until his head is severed!!!

Oden
Oden himself has spoken of the need to kill Kaido.

He said that he came to cut off Kaido's head in his sleep:
I was on my way to cut off your head as you sat on that empty island drinking yourself to sleep.​
He reiterated that he intends to behead Kaido:
The only thing I want to cut is your scaly neck!!
Yamato
Yamato consented to Kaido's death:
Well, I'm not on your side anymore.​
Let my father die.​

Ace
Yamato said that Ace came to kill Kaido:
A man who came here years ago...​
To kill my father...
Ace himself stated that he's here to take Kaido's head:
I'm Ace!!​
I've come here to take Kaido's head!!!

Kaido
Finally, Kaido himself has repeatedly expressed his desire for (a glorious) death.

His introduction chapter is titled "Suicide":

He's searching for a place to die:
The man claimed...​
...That he was searching for a place to die.
His hobby is suicide, and he laments that he survived his latest attempt:
I just don't die...
...​
His hobby is "suicide".
I survived again...
He stated that because the Scabbards remind him of Oden, he could have let them kill him:
I could have let you kill me
He believes that "death is what completes a person":
It may not be the way of the times anymore...​
...But death is what completes a person!!

Conclusions
The necessity — you could even say the inevitability — of Kaido's death has been mentioned by at least five separate (groups of) characters:
  1. The Nine Scabbards
  2. Oden
  3. Yamato
  4. Ace
  5. Kaido himself
And even the Narrator!

If there's any character in One Piece that is destined for death, then it is without a doubt Hundred Beasts Kaido.

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
just say that you want zoro to have another epic moment and stop pretending like the narrative actually fits this
every single thing i said is in the manga its not my fault you cannot read

The raid isn't to beat kaido

kill not beat

Yasu didn't want kaido beaten

kill not beat

Oden didn't want to cut kaidos scaly neck to beat him

kill not beat

The scabbards didn't want him to sever his head by beating him.

kill not beat

kaido himself last chapter said to declare victory he should take luffys head
so he himself see it the same way

all that without a single mention of kaido himself and his connection to death

so yeah you cant read

the narrative to kill kaido by taking his head has been pushed ALL WANO

Last edited by a moderator:
You're forgetting one more important narrative. If Zoro kills Kaido in front of everyone to see it would make him even more infamous than Luffy throughout the World.

So in a spread which should be of Shanks reading the newspaper of Luffy defeating Kaido and declaring it is now time for them to meet, we'll be greeted with a spread of Shanks reading the newspaper of how Zoro, Luffys subordinate, has killed the strongest Creature in the World. Very weird way for Oda to set up Shanks acceptance of Luffy becoming a Great Pirate.
We'll see Mihawk with the paper pouring some wine while mourning the death of his old rival, killed by Blackbeard, and celebrating the birth of his new rival, the Grandmaster. :finally:

Cinera

𝐀𝐬𝐩𝐢𝐫𝐢𝐧𝐠 𝐌𝐚𝐬𝐜𝐡𝐞𝐧𝐧𝐲 𝐏𝐞𝐭

I don't find this a compelling argument at all. My intuitive response is literally "so?".

Like your argument is essentially: "Zoro can't kill Kaido because if he does, he'll become famous".
:choppawhat:

I don't see the issue with Zoro becoming famous:
  • Zoro's dream is explicitly tied to fame:
    • He promised to become so great that his name will reach the heavens.
  • Zoro's equivalent in the Roger Pirates was very famous:
    • He is the "Dark King".
    • He is a legendary figure so renown that his infamy surpasses even the Yonkou.
  • Zoro's predecessor in Mihawk is well renown:
    • He is the current World's Strongest Swordsman.
    • He rose to fame even before the Great Pirate Era.
  • Zoro's predecessor in Ryuma was of unparalleled fame.
    • He was the strongest swordsman and strongest man of his era with the epithet King.
    • He was the Guardian of his country and stood alone against all the armies of the world.
    • 800 years later, the Marines still stays away from Wank because of the strength of their Samurai.
    • He forged several legends with slaying a Flying Dragon being just one — albeit the most iconic — of them.
    • He was a mythic figure that was posthumously christened "God of the Blade" and his remains and sword a holy relic and national treasure to the people of Wano.
This is who Zoro is. This is who Zoro will exceed. This is who Zoro must surpass.

And you're really trying to argue that Zoro can't kill Kaido because killing Kaido will make him too famous?!?!

My God, that's a terrible argument.

After Wano, Zoro must become famous. Zoro needs to leave Wano more famous than the likes of Kidd and Law.

In fact, I would advance an argument that's the exact opposite of what you presented: "Zoro must kill Kaido so that he acquires the infamy necessary to become the Right Hand Man of the Future Pirate King".

Beating King wouldn't cut it.
Scarring Kaido wouldn't cut it, as if Kaido is defeated and imprisoned, giving him a new scar would never become news.

Gaining fame/infamy is just another reason Zoro needs to kill Kaido.

P.S: If Zoro kills Kaido, Oda would credit both Zoro and Luffy for Kaido's defeat and not Zoro alone (see Dressrosa), so Zoro wouldn't actually overshadow Luffy anyway.

Last edited:
Care to share these? I believe I speak for a lot of us here.
I can't currently because it's part of a Greater Analysis where i will address every single Mystery in Story & i want to prepare & share this Analysis in One-Go in a Well-Organized Thread & not ruin the surprise by revealing it partially & in comments.
Expect this Thread very soon, please be patient.

I think that ZKK still has a good chance. I think a lot of other posters added great thoughts to the original content!

My head canon is that if Oda does an act 4 and 5, then it is possible that there could be a time skip to let Luffy and Zoro heal. Maybe while they heal, the other Strawhats and Scabbards can finish their fights. Some may be off paneled some may not be. Then by the end of Act 4 or Act 5 Luffy and Zoro will be in better condition to fight again.

I also agree with the scenario that was posted that Luffy and Zoro's second confrontation could share similarities with Luffy and Zoro's fight against Captain Morgan. Luffy caused a lot of damage with advCoC and KKG, however, he exhausted himself but Kaido isn't down. Then when Kaido tries to take Luffy's head, Zoro enters and beheads Kaido with a black blade.

Yes, Luffy doesn't kill his opponents, he defeats them and crushes their dreams. Hasn't it been established that Kaido is too dangerous to let live? Wasn't it also established that Impel Down can't hold Kaido? If Luffy defeats him, what's to stop Kaido from returning and obliterating Wano? If Luffy let's Kaido live, then he is ignoring the repercussions of Kaido returning and harming his crew and other innocent civilians.

Finally, my last point is that Luffy has always relied on his crew to do what he can't. I don't think Zoro will disobey a direct order from Luffy, but he has always been blunt when it comes to difficult decisions when it comes to the crew. Zoro is most likely the one to recognize that Kaido cannot be kept alive. He also has the tool to kill Kaido, he just needs the means to utilize it (black blade). Zoro's character doesn't hesitate and he isn't afraid to follow through on a difficult decision.

Not necessarily. Tashigi landed the last hit on Monet. Gin landed the last hit on Krieg. We were all still aware that it was Luffy and Zoro who won those fights. Luffy was the one to beat Moria, but it was the tower falling on him that finished the fight off, not anything Luffy did.

Kaido‘s legend is built on two things- he’s the favourite in any one vs one fight, and he can’t die. Both these plot points need to be resolved.

Luffy actually beating Kaido in a one vs one will be the more impressive thing if ZKK happens. If ZKK happens everything points to it being dragon Kaido that gets killed, Hiryu Kaen, above the Flower Capital. It’s not going to be a fight, where Zoro and Kaido are going toe to toe with each other, like Luffy and Kaido are doing. Landing one final hit on dragon Kaido and killing him is impressive, but going toe to toe with, and beating, hybrid Kaido in an extended fight is more impressive.

It’s all a question of framing. Oda was able to make it clear that Luffy beat Krieg, despite Gin landing the last hit. Same for Zoro beating Monet, despite Tashigi. If the same thing can be done here, then’s there’s no problem. The headline reads “Strawhat Luffy defeats the World’s Strongest Creature!” “Pirate Hunter Zoro lands the killing blow” the subheading.

If ZKK is to happen it will only be after Luffy has definitively beaten down, knocked out and stopped Kaido in a fight. Everyone will see that, it’ll be clear that Luffy won where it was meant to be impossible, Kaido himself will acknowledge that he was defeated.

But if he can recover much faster than humanly possible- through awakening, through his DF, through his own body, maybe through experiments done on him, who knows- that’s when the question of Kaido needing to be killed crops up. That’s when we see if ZKK happens.

There’s loads of ways it could be done. We could see Luffy punch Kaido across the entirely of the island of Wano and knock him clean out for half an hour or something like that. Luffy’s clearly won that fight, but Kaido could then recover before anyone gets to him, fly back when Luffy’s exhausted and then ZKK could happen. Luffy could knock out Kaido three seperate times but each time Kaido just gets back up, then ZKK could happen. Luffy could beat Kaido, and have to deal with BM after it which gives Kaido time to recover, then ZKK could happen.

I’ve went for the 50% option, cause I think it’s 50/50 what happens, but there is plenty of room for Luffy still to be the star even if Zoro kills Kaido.

every single thing i said is in the manga its not my fault you cannot read

kill not beat

kill not beat

kill not beat

kill not beat

kaido himself last chapter said to declare victory he should take luffys head
so he himself see it the same way

all that without a single mention of kaido himself and his connection to death

so yeah you cant read

the narrative to kill kaido by taking his head has been pushed ALL WANO
Are you capable of just reading between the lines? Yes, Kaido will die. The question is what type of death will kaido get. You and every other ZKKer want kaido to accomplish his dream by achieving the death he always wanted. Do you think Oda is going to let the villain win?

Why is it that Luffy and not zoro is being spearheaded as the person who will beat kaido(with even zoro himself saying Luffy will win)?Because Luffy won't kill Kaido.

Luffy won't give kaido the thing he wants. Yes, Kaido will still die, but he's not going to be gloriously slain in battle. Maybe if that's the ZKK you are talking about, Zoro slitting the throat of an already KO'd kaido, maybe I could agree with that. But I doubt even that would happen as Oda wants to keep the straw hats morally pure.

Which is why I say that kaido will be killed by an outside force, blackbeard or the world government.
Post automatically merged:

Thematically, Kaido dying in impel down makes more sense then him being beheaded in the flower capital. Whitebeard was an honorable pirate and hence got an honorable death whereas kaido was a scumbag and got the death he deserved. A completely irrelevant one.

Which is why I say, all you ZKKers care about is getting your zoro moment, themes and plot be damned

And you're really trying to argue that Zoro can't kill Kaido because killing Kaido will make him too famous?!?!

My God, that's a terrible argument.

After Wano, Zoro must become famous. Zoro needs to leave Wano more famous than the likes of Kidd and Law.

In fact, I would advance an argument that's the exact opposite of what you presented: Zoro must kill Kaido so that he acquires the infamy necessary to become the Right Hand Man of the Future Pirate King.

Beating King wouldn't cut it.
Scarring Kaido wouldn't cut it, as if Kaido is defeated and imprisoned, giving him a new scar would never become news.

Gaining fame/infamy is just another reason Zoro needs to kill Kaido.
Why does Zoro need to be more famous than Kid, literally the only other pirate bar blackbeard portrayed to be Luffy's rival? That would be like Rayleigh being more famous than whitebeard.

Fact is that there are still a few arcs after wano. Scarring kaido and defeating king is enough to get Zoro a 1.5B+ bounty. He can get the type of fame you are talking about when he beats an admiral or Mihawk

Damn you used to support Zoro in the past. What happened?
I've never been a ZKKer. Yeah sure, Zoro could be equal to Luffy, but he's still not beating kaido

Last edited:

HA001

World's Strongest Swordsman
Are you capable of just reading between the lines? Yes, Kaido will die. The question is what type of death will kaido get. You and every other ZKKer want kaido to accomplish his dream by achieving the death he always wanted. Do you think Oda is going to let the villain win?

Why is it that Luffy and not zoro is being spearheaded as the person who will beat kaido(with even zoro himself saying Luffy will win)?Because Luffy won't kill Kaido.

Luffy won't give kaido the thing he wants. Yes, Kaido will still die, but he's not going to be gloriously slain in battle. Maybe if that's the ZKK you are talking about, Zoro slitting the throat of an already KO'd kaido, maybe I could agree with that. But I doubt even that would happen as Oda wants to keep the straw hats morally pure.

Which is why I say that kaido will be killed by an outside force, blackbeard or the world government.

Thematically, Kaido dying in impel down makes more sense then him being beheaded in the flower capital. Whitebeard was an honorable pirate and hence got an honorable death whereas kaido was a scumbag and got the death he deserved. A completely irrelevant one.

Which is why I say, all you ZKKers care about is getting your zoro moment, themes and plot be damned

Why does Zoro need to be more famous than Kid, literally the only other pirate bar blackbeard portrayed to be Luffy's rival? That would be like Rayleigh being more famous than whitebeard.

Fact is that there are still a few arcs after wano. Scarring kaido and defeating king is enough to get Zoro a 1.5B+ bounty. He can get the type of fame you are talking about when he beats an admiral or Mihawk

I've never been a ZKKer. Yeah sure, Zoro could be equal to Luffy, but he's still not beating kaido
Why is Enel on the moon then ?