Who will be the Next Strawhat?

• Total voters

Pot Goblin

Conejo Blanco
I couldn't tell you where the Yamato cope is coming from, but Carrot I kinda get. It's desperation for an actual conclusion to her character more than anything.

Nothing about Carrot being the queen of Zou makes any sense. There was no build up to any of that. She didn't lead the minks at any point during the raid, she doesn't avenge Pedro at all, and the attempt wasn't even a 1v1. Never did she display any leader tendencies even during WCI. Her ending makes no sense. And it's clear Oda made that shit up on the fly. She rejected her new position at first before being gaslighted into it but that happened off screen, technically we don't know for sure if she actually said yes or not.

She didn't get an onscreen goodbye with the crew, but Yamato basically got 2, like what?

So people wanna believe Carrot has to come back to the crew for a better conclusion, because for a character who's been dragged along in the story for 6 years that's one hell of a way to fumble their ending.
Really well said

If Carrot said yes right there and then and we saw her say goodbye at the end of Wano I would've been reppin the lunar queen of Zou and Vivi for Nakama 20 chapters ago.
:handsup:

But it's been left so open ended without a proper conclusion to both her and the minks that I've been waiting to see a panel of her on Zou in order to put the matter to rest.

With us getting updates on different characters on the outside as well as the stage being set-up on Egghead I think it will come to a head soon. We'll just have to see if she comes back as the lunar queen or the 10th commander

Yeah, I suppose you’re right. I wasn’t really thinking about that.

Thankfully Oda seems to care about racism since Fish-Man Island is focused around that issue.
Indeed.

Oda do care about those issues. Of course he makes oopsies (like the transphobic representation of transwomen in Kamabakka Kingdom, the toxic masculinity of Sanji and brook or the physical representation of women) but I see those more as mistake due to missknowledge rather than hatred as he always have good representation for those people in other parts of the story.

But it's been left so open ended without a proper conclusion to both her and the minks that I've been waiting to see a panel of her on Zou in order to put the matter to rest.
Yup. Carrot's case is not finished yet.

This ending was too weird.

Really well said

If Carrot said yes right there and then and we saw her say goodbye at the end of Wano I would've been reppin the lunar queen of Zou and Vivi for Nakama 20 chapters ago.

With us getting updates on different characters on the outside as well as the stage being set-up on Egghead I think it will come to a head soon. We'll just have to see if she comes back as the lunar queen or the 10th commander
Not only that Carrot is the antithesis of a leader, in WCI she was following Chopper around and she served to char grow chopper a bit making HIM the responsible one.

I'm also wondering how the bs of her traveling to WCI makes her more apt to be leader than say Shishilian, what did they think of Pedro? He was a pirate for years and traveled everywhere including WCI, was he next in line to be leader and was overqualified ?

Shit makes 0 sense.

Not only that Carrot is the antithesis of a leader, in WCI she was following Chopper around and she served to char grow chopper a bit making HIM the responsible one.

I'm also wondering how the bs of her traveling to WCI makes her more apt to be leader than say Shishilian, what did they think of Pedro? He was a pirate for years and traveled everywhere including WCI, was he next in line to be leader and was overqualified ?

Shit makes 0 sense.
I just realized that Inu and Neko waited three whole days to reveal themself to the crew of whitebeard lmao

:carrocorn:

Yamato saying I will join the crew and being buddies with Ace isn't a build up to join :catcry: She lacked the most crucial part - the Shaw Hats knowing her, being invested in her goals and helping with her struggles (+ her backstory was very short and shallow). The Straw Hats didn't even know she existed for the 50+ chapters or 2+ years of us reading them. And even after the raid was over Oda put her on a roof for a week rather than let her have crumbs of development with the SHs. Why? Because she never meant to join and Oda avoided her having any kind of important interactions with the SHs on purpose. Yamato's actual development was with Momo, she is still a complete nobody to the SHs which means she won't join even in the future arcs because there is nothing meaningful between Yamato and the Straw Hats. Like, literally nothing.
It doesn't matter how little crew interaction Yamato actually got, what i'm pissed at is Oda constantly setting up these characters as if they will join, only to not have it happen. What's the fucking point then? It's just a waste of space and setting up readers for the wrong expectations and only to have them disappointed. And even if don't believe someone will join, just Oda setting it up is annoying enough since he's pulled this trick too many times and its like beating a dead horse at this point.

Yamato didn't interact enough with the crew, but that same argument was used for Carrot and she didn't join either.

Looking back now in retrospect, Imo neither Carrot nor Yamato warranted their large panel times and buildup when they ended up mattering so little in the long run and didn't end up joining the crew.

Which is exactly the same point i was making in the post you quoted me - the fucking egghead arc has been about and built around Vegapunk escaping Egghead and the WG and joining Luffy's crew because only a Yonko is a strong enough deterrent to protect Vegapunk from CP0, the WG and the Marines. Akainu even makes a fuss about just how bad it would be for Vegapunk to switch sides from the marines to Luffy, hinting at just how valuable it would be for Vegapunk to join the crew. Even Orochi wanted Vegapunk.

If Vegapunk doesn't end up joining the crew after this arc, then the whole crew just wasted their time achieving almost nothing. The reader's time is also wasted watching the whole crew go through such efforts to help the Vegapunks so they can escape on their ship, only for it not to happen and waste reader's time.

Jinbe not joining at the end of WCI was also completely pointless as he didn't come back with any consequences and repercussions and still made it just in time to participate in the Wano war, making no difference to him joining at the end of WCI or before the Wano War anyway.

In both cases of Yamato not joining and Jinbe's delayed joining, neither outcome was worth the trouble of the stupid plot that Oda put them through. Vegapunk's in danger of becoming the third victim of Oda's stupidity.

Looking back now in retrospect, Imo neither Carrot nor Yamato warranted their large panel times and buildup when they ended up mattering so little in the long run and didn't end up joining the crew.
Plenty of side characters have gotten numerous panel times in their respective arcs, that was one of the obvious give aways that Yamato wouldn’t join and Carrot didn’t do anything Post WCI to warrant further attention. I’m not following the current arc however it’s gonna be the same with whoever is being talked about right now.

Though Imma remind y’all about my man @dizzy2341 ’s lone W shining amongst the pile of Ls y’all brought on yourselves, proceed with caution from now on :sadgrin:

Plenty of side characters have gotten numerous panel times in their respective arcs, that was one of the obvious give aways that Yamato wouldn’t join and Carrot didn’t anything Post WCI to warrant further attention. I’m not following the current arc however it’s gonna be the same with whoever is being talked about right now.

Though Imma remind y’all about my man @dizzy2341 ’s lone W shining amongst the pile of Ls y’all brought on yourselves, proceed with caution from now on :sadgrin:
I think you didn't read my previous post before i replied to @Rushwheel. My point wasn't about who guessed right or wrong, or who joined or didn't join.

My point was that as a author, just can't just bait your readers on the possibility that a new crew member is joining but never follow through, then recycle and use that same bait for 4 characters for 3 fucking consecutive arcs, back to back!

Jinbe in Fishman Island and WCI, Carrot in WCI, Yamato in Wano- and now it looks like Oda's pulling the same shit for Vegapunk in the current Egghead Island Arc!

It's so fucking ridiculous that it makes Oda look like he's only doing this so people can continue buying his manga on the bait that someone will join, and he's shameless enough to pull this stunt for 4 arcs in the post time skip, with the most egregious of it happening in the three most recent arcs back-to-back!

I think you didn't read my previous post before i replied to @Rushwheel. My point wasn't about who guessed right or wrong, or who joined or didn't join.

My point was that as a author, just can't just bait your readers on the possibility that a new crew member is joining but never follow through, then recycle and use that same bait for 4 characters for 3 fucking consecutive arcs, back to back!

Jinbe in Fishman Island and WCI, Carrot in WCI, Yamato in Wano- and now it looks like Oda's pulling the same shit for Vegapunk in the current Egghead Island Arc!

It's so fucking ridiculous that it makes Oda look like he's only doing this so people can continue buying his manga on the bait that someone will join, and he's shameless enough to pull this stunt for 4 arcs in the post time skip, with the most egregious of it happening in the three most recent arcs back-to-back!
It sure is but IIRC didn’t Oda say he would do that himself so he can remain unpredictable?
With not much remaining the crew could very well be complete at this point, perhaps Vivi will join for the final arcs and that is it. It has become clear since Dressrosa that the establishment of the Grand Fleet was meant to also include side characters that never had a chance of joining.

It sure is but IIRC didn’t Oda say he would do that himself so he can remain unpredictable?
With not much remaining the crew could very well be complete at this point, perhaps Vivi will join for the final arcs and that is it. It has become clear since Dressrosa that the establishment of the Grand Fleet was meant to also include side characters that never had a chance of joining.
Sure, but if Oda's definition of being unpredictable is constantly baiting readers with potential straw hats that will never join and doing it for three consecutive arcs - I personally don't consider it as unpredictable, I consider it annoying. And for the record, out of the: Jinbe will die, Carrot will join, Yamato will join - I only got Yamato wrong, so you can see that i'm not mad of Oda being unpredictable since it wasn't really unpredictable for me.

I'd much rather Oda spend more effort on the narrative and the plot than nakama baiting.

Nobody in Egghead is really standing out. Bonney’s the one who is obviously connected to the emotional core of the arc with Kuma and we’ll need to see where the flashback goes but I don’t think it’s Strawhat heading.
Sure, but if Oda's definition of being unpredictable is constantly baiting readers with potential straw hats that will never join and doing it for three consecutive arcs - I personally don't consider it as unpredictable, I consider it annoying. And for the record, out of the: Jinbe will die, Carrot will join, Yamato will join - I only got Yamato wrong, so you can see that i'm not mad of Oda being unpredictable since it wasn't really unpredictable for me.

I'd much rather Oda spend more effort on the narrative and the plot than nakama baiting.
I still say Carrot was never nakama baiting because nothing Oda did with her ever implied she would be a Strawhat.

Yamato, though, yeesh.

Indeed.

Oda do care about those issues. Of course he makes oopsies (like the transphobic representation of transwomen in Kamabakka Kingdom, the toxic masculinity of Sanji and brook or the physical representation of women) but I see those more as mistake due to missknowledge rather than hatred as he always have good representation for those people in other parts of the story.
Theres nothing wrong with Odas writing about Brook or "physical representation of women" (are you a middle ages witch-burner or smth, imagine pretending you care about representation while trying to shame women for showing their legs even in stories, thats some jugging to pretend youre a "good guy" while being the phobic one trying to be authoritarian and demonize representation and expression) yet instead of looking for yourself and see why YOU have an irrational issue with thoe despite admitting hes good about those issues.... you blame the author whos specialized in tackling them as knowing less and being less "wise" than "you", the nobody who cares too much about the 15 years old bunny..... youre very arrogant and mistaken about your own "wisdom" lol, go outside and study history for once if you think Oda is offensive for those

what youre doing is literally women shaming and sex shaming despite pretending to be progressive otherwise. You cant act like a religious foundamentalist Karen from 100+ years ago that would consider women being allowed to express themselves, even fictionally, an "evil" and "immoral" things yet has the gall of pretending the author thats much more worried about real social issues than you are is the one in the wrong and that knows less about it than "you", doesnt take much to know more about progress than some rich western karen who fakes to care about representation so you can shame and cover women and sexual expression, you are the zealot, misinformed and hateful here, deffo not Oda just because he doesnt act like a puritan. If you knew a thing about history youd know your behavior is anything but welcoming or allowing representation, you just pretend sexual expression is offensive because you project your own loneliness and Frustration on them and assumes they must be the evil ones since youre "so special and wise" (despite being a pampered nobody obsessing over a 15 years old rabbit girl in an anime and Oda being the dude who wrote fishman island)

Oda is not misinformed, phobic, mistaken, or evil for doing those, much less making an "oopsie" because his idea of rights and representing is not the same as a pampered western over-spoiled person who thinks sexual expression is offensive because youre scared of it, you are, and virtue singaling as the opposite despite being censorious and assuming things too, time to grow up and learn to accept you dont know much about the world and that youre just a puritan rationalizing your own hatred for representation that doesnt please you personally.

Last edited:
Really well said

Carrot being the queen of zou don't make sense:endthis:

Theres nothing wrong with Odas writing about Brook or "physical representation of women"
Yes there is. The representation (or lack of) and the systematic sexualization of women is kinda of a problem in One Piece. That's actually THE problem of One Piece. But I won't be debating on that. This is something everyone already knows. This is not a new critic.

the nobody who cares too much about the 15 years old bunny..... youre very arrogant and mistaken about your own "wisdom" lol, go outside and study history for once if you think Oda is offensive for those
Why am I being attacked here? lmao :milaugh: I've said nothing controversial, everyone knows about those issues in One Piece lol

what youre doing is literally women shaming and sex shaming despite pretending to be progressive otherwise.
Sure..

, you are the zealot, misinformed and hateful here, deffo not Oda just because he doesnt act like a puritan
Wow..

despite being a pampered nobody obsessing over a 15 years old rabbit girl in an anime and Oda being the dude who wrote fishman island
So you are attacking or defending Oda here? .. I don't know anymore... :milaugh:

Oda is not misinformed, phobic
Well.. debatable. But that's okay, One Piece is still my favourite story and Oda still my favorite Author mate..

time to grow up and learn to accept you dont know much about the world and that youre just a puritan rationalizing your own hatred for representation that doesnt please you personally.
Well damn.. you really didn't like what I said..

:josad:

You must feel exhausted.. here..

Take a Carrot:

:carrocorn:
Post automatically merged:

Carrot being the queen of zou don't make sense:endthis:
Well..

Last edited:
what i'm pissed at is Oda constantly setting up these characters as if they will join, only to not have it happen. What's the fucking point then?
Oda likes them twists A LOT and messing with the readers IS the point for him, especially when it comes to the nakama topic, he's always been like that. Yamato is pointless not because she didn't join - there are a lot of characters that ended up not joining it doesn't mean they are all pointless - she is pointless because her character has no growth. We spent more than two years with her and she ended up literally where she started - protecting wano, obsessed with Oden and calling herself Oden and a man. Cause there is nothing wrong with hardcore-projecting yourself into another man's personality in Oda's mind, apparently. It even can be treated like a gag sometimes and everyone in OP world accepted the wannabe Oden cause freedom and shit idk :catcry:

As for Carrot I didn't see her joining either. Not after she turned into ghost for the entire Wano.

Jinbe not joining at the end of WCI was also completely pointless
Honestly? I think Oda dumped Jinbe after WCI because he didn't want to spend time and panels on him in the first half of Wano arc that was already bloated with characters. Actually, I can say he didn't have time for Jinbe in Punk Hazard, Dressrosa and Zou too lmao. There was no reason for him not to just hop on the ship after Fishman Island as a new crew member, it looks like Oda didn't want him around until WCI and then until Onigashima raid, so he made up weak excuses why Jinbe can't join yet. No other Straw Hat has been treated like that :shame:

Oda likes them twists A LOT and messing with the readers IS the point for him, especially when it comes to the nakama topic, he's always been like that. Yamato is pointless not because she didn't join - there are a lot of characters that ended up not joining it doesn't mean they are all pointless - she is pointless because her character has no growth. We spent more than two years with her and she ended up literally where she started - protecting wano, obsessed with Oden and calling herself Oden and a man. Cause there is nothing wrong with hardcore-projecting yourself into another man's personality in Oda's mind, apparently. It even can be treated like a gag sometimes and everyone in OP world accepted the wannabe Oden cause freedom and shit idk :catcry:

As for Carrot I didn't see her joining either. Not after she turned into ghost for the entire Wano.

Honestly? I think Oda dumped Jinbe after WCI because he didn't want to spend time and panels on him in the first half of Wano arc that was already bloated with characters. Actually, I can say he didn't have time for Jinbe in Punk Hazard, Dressrosa and Zou too lmao. There was no reason for him not to just hop on the ship after Fishman Island as a new crew member, it looks like Oda didn't want him around until WCI and then until Onigashima raid, so he made up weak excuses why Jinbe can't join yet. No other Straw Hat has been treated like that :shame:
In hindsight I actually enjoyed Jinbe being a vanguard. It really showed his character traits are well worth the crews.