Who will be the Next Strawhat?

• Total voters
Well yeah. That's the point. Be has absolute as possible. Therefore you can't say "Ace will join" (I'm sure some crazy fan are thinking about this and the fact that he might ressussitate.)

Being relevant means being IN the story and be able to impact its future. So Carrot fits that. And the rule is important as we need to sort a lot of character. Again. At first I had only the 11 Pillars. The seven rules came after when I decided to be actually fair and take 1000 character into account (yes, it took me hours but I checked 1000 characters for the 7 rules)

This is wrong. Nami had a unique ability at the beginning, her quasi magical skill for the weither prediction. Something that is - btw - still unexplained.
A unique ability is something that can be mesured objectively so this rules applies to all strawhats too, sorry.

Now this is a good point. You are right, Franky wasn't free. I don't know how I missed that. I think I took the case of Franky after the strawhats and not before. Good job, you debunked one point. Which makes my life actually easier.

I need to remember to change this at the end.

No. Franky is what we call a false antagonist. He was meant to join the crew. So this rules still applies. I've explained in detail this rule on my blog.

This is a good point. In my mind I take into account a strawhat that is on the edge of confirmation but yes, if we take a strawhat that is yet to be formed this rule doesn't apply anymore. I will delete it as well.

That's actually good, now we are moving.

I think this was due to a bias for Carrot and Yamato. But now that we are looking to less precise strawhat the rule needs indeed to be adjusted I'll do that right now.

Now, we need to understand that this section is not about the past of the recrutment but all the things that mugiwara have in common. Zoro, Robin and Jinbei all have a quirk therefore if a character happens to have a quirk they will get more points than a character that has none logically (hence why the point system is important)

Same things its about the thing they have in common. We are trying to distinguishes the chances between character here. If a character can't fight its logical that they get less point that a character that can.

You have to read my definition of antagonistic introduction. It means that the characters appears as menacing to the readers in any way shape or form. The first thing Sanji does he put down two guys and Jinbe is depicted in shading, both are menacing. Its important for the characterization of the character. For example a character that appears all gently will get less points that a character like Carrot that went straight for the head of Zoro. Logically. Again its about fairness.

No, just be more than one dimensional. But yes, its pretty basic. That's why it gets less points. As funny as it is, a character like Mihawk is very one dimensional compared to a character like Carrot or even Yamato.
This point is to get rid of the potential character that shouldn't have made it this far.

So for this one. I'll give you the definition of my blog:

All the strawhats seems to have a symbolic reach that can be broken down into several categories:

- A negative reputation which anchors the character in a marginal position while creating a contrast with his personnality and his actions
- A thematic incarnation that adds weight to the character's desires and is a reminder serving the main character: Luffy. This incarnation is highlighted thanks to the actions and the character's personnality traits. Example: Luffy incarnates the importance of Freedom. BTW my blog needs a rework on that portion for the strawhats I'm not very contempt with all the thematic incarnation of the strawhats.
- An animal alter-Ego which allows to better characterize the character. They are most often shown in the color pages. They can also vary from time to time.
- A cultural inspiration that makes the character resonate beyond his narrative barriers and gives the story a legendary echo. This was probably done by Oda in order to twist the expectation concerning the characters or to make their respective arc even more impactfull.

I gave it 4 point for each categories.

Actually. I think I will get rid of that Pillar. Its the same problem as before. now that I think about it once there is a hint, there is automatically a recrutment so it doesn't count for a strawhat that is unprecise. Forget it.

Okay so this one is VERY important and I can't forget it.

I don't know if you read my blog but this rule is basically an application of Truby's method for creating a good character arc:

Need + Desire (those two are very important, you can also call the desire the "dream" in One Piece) and there is a twist in One Piece there is a third need that is the loyalty to Luffy. If a character as those three they are very well placed to become a strawhat. Hence wy it has a lot of points.

I hope you understand now why I call this the THREE driving force (Need + Desire + Loyalty)

I'm trying to be fair. If I take that pillar into the rule section Carrot will be the only one with a post.

Well, maybe we can discuss on that.

Okay, this needs its own thread. Did you read the post on my blog here ?

https://carrotfornakama.wixsite.com/anyonefornakama/post/tenth-pillar-the-shining-nakama-action

Nope, Carrot has 0 here.

Now that interesting. One thing you should know is that I actually didn't like that Pillar but add it anyway AFTER all of them. And indeed, the refusal of the call of adventure of Usopp is debatable. I'm actually on the fence on this one. Meaning that I'm on the fence on this pillar as a whole. But this would advantage Carrot too much so I kept it.
If you want, I can get rid of this pillar too.

For the refusal, Robin and Nami actually broke the rule. I'm not sure for Usopp tho. I'm on the fence about his journey as it is quite special.

Look at this. In one post, by actually taking the time to take the theory legitimatly, you made me rethink a lot of it. Isn't that beautiful ?

Let's recap shall we:

I will keep the first rules but I will cut them short:

1 - To be alive, basic.
2 - To be relevant in the story, also basic
3 - To be unique or have a unique ability
4 - To be a friend or a false adversary
5 - To have a inherited will protagonist pillar.

We end up therefore with 5 basic rule instead of 7.

We can now integrate character such as:
- Carrot
- Yamato
- Momo
- Marco
- Bonney
- Law

(add more if you want)

As for the Pillar they are also reduced: (remember its not about what they are before the recrutment its about what they have in common with the strawhats)

1 - Quirk
2 - Fighting skill (one fighting still + Combo)
3 - Antagonistic Introduction
4 - Multi layered characterization
5 - Symbolic reach (4 layers)
6 - Strong character arc
7 - Three driving forces (hint?) (Needs / Dream or Desire / Loyalty)
8 - Post
9 - Shining nakama action
10 - The rescue

We end up with 5 basic rule and 10 pillars. I actually like that. Its easier.

Now if you have read everything, we should be in agreement. What is left to do is the distribution of points. So, looking at those 10 pillars, how would you do it ?
Honestly, I think the point thing needs to be scrapped. Everyone is going to have a different opinion how how many points each thing should be worth. There should just be "rules" and "patterns" or something like that, where rules are things they MUST have to join, and patterns are just things to look for in a candidate, and let people decide how much weight they want to put into any given pattern. The problem with the list is that these are just the criteria you see as important, with you point values you deem reasonable. You can't make other people use the same list because this is just your perspective and there isn't even an agreement on the basic principles.

It's good to see that was constructive though, I thought I had wasted my time.

Honestly, I think the point thing needs to be scrapped. Everyone is going to have a different opinion how how many points each thing should be worth. There should just be "rules" and "patterns" or something like that, where rules are things they MUST have to join, and patterns are just things to look for in a candidate, and let people decide how much weight they want to put into any given pattern. The problem with the list is that these are just the criteria you see as important, with you point values you deem reasonable. You can't make other people use the same list because this is just your perspective and there isn't even an agreement on the basic principles.

It's good to see that was constructive though, I thought I had wasted my time.
Told you I'm always open to discussion.

The problem of not having a point system like I told previously is that it put certains principle on the same level as criteria of importance to predict a strawhat when they are not. A post is for example a lot more interesting that a strong character arc.

the only thing Oda has confirmed in terms of a pattern for the creation of the crew is a role in the crew in all this.

you've decided the story needs to fit a pattern to be consistent.
That's not how storytelling works. So long as there is ample reason to suggest something could happen, it's fine to break patterns. In fact it's often advised to keep the story from being repetitive.

It looks like you don't have example. Seems like you are just following the group by sayin "logiko is sayin BS"
How much free time do you think I have to spend hours going back the Nakama thread and look for examples? Unlike you I have a job. Just today I have an 11 hour day ahead of me and than also 1.5 hours of GYM, 7-8 hours of sleep. Spending time with significant people. Do you think I will waste hours of my precious free time to prove you wrong?

KonyaruIchi

👑𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓟𝓲𝓻𝓪𝓽𝓮 𝓠𝓾𝓮𝓮𝓷👑
Although I agree with @Warback that a points system is incredibly stupid, let me pick this apart anyway because it's a ridiculous list even if we accept the concept.

For the rules
1. Be alive. This is a dumb rule. Might as well say "has to be a one piece character". This just makes the list longer and adds nothing of value.
2. Be relevant to the story. This is reasonable, but clearly way too subjective to be a rule since you still considered Carrot to fit your rules after being missing for 200 chapters.
3. Be unique and have a unique ability. This is poorly thought out because this is two things. Nami was unique but didn't have a unique ability when she joined. Also it's entirely subjective.
4. Free from faction duty or independent. Looks like someone forgot about Franky and Jinbei.
5. Be a friend or false adversary. Franky was a real adversary when they met, he just changed sides later.
6. Looking and acting toward adventure. Brook, Franky, Robin, and Chopper all don't fit this unless you're being extremely lenient with the definition, in which case it's too subjective.
7. Have an inherited will. Okay, one rule we can agree on.

I notice 6 of your 7 rules are extremely subjective and/or don't actually fit all the strawhats, and it's missing all but one of the things all the strawhats actually have in common.

As for the "pillars" (name is a bit much but whatever).

1. The quirk. Zoro, Robin, and Jinbei had no quirk, also subjective.
2. Fighting skill. Nami again.
3. Antagonistic introduction. Sanji and Jinbei didn't have this.
4. Multilayered charactorization. Sure I guess, but pretty weak as main criteria. You're basically saying "has to be a good character".
5. The symbolic reach. Very vague, and I don't trust whatever your definition of this is without hearing it first.
6. The strong character arc. Just as arbitrary as number four, but also subjective
7. The hint of recruitment. Robin. And if you say "there was subtext saying she'll join" without explaining said subtext, I'm going to reach through my screen and smack you.
8. The hint of three driving forces. So one of your made up rules is that each strawhat must meet another 3 of your made up rules. No thanks.
9. The post. Yes, but this should be in the rules section. The fact that having a quirk, fighting skill, and an antagonistic introduction is the same number of points as this shows how inane the point system is.
10. The shining nakama action. Pretty much all of worstgen considers this extremely dumb. It's abitrary, it's subjective, and the name is so cringey. And the fact that it's worth more points than the post makes it hard to take you seriously.
11. The rescue. I assume this means Luffy defeats their villain or otherwise rescues them from their trauma or something along those lines, which should be a rule, but considering you gave Carrot a perfect score, you clearly lack judgement when applying this one.
12. Refusal of the call to adventure. The fact that you call this the dealbreaker and rate it as highly as the rescue and the post COMBINED is probably the dumbest thing I've ever heard from you. It doesn't even fit all of the strawhats, namely Ussop. This actually bars you from participating in nakama debates imo.

A lot of these you're going to say "but the strawhat who broke the rule fits this later on". But remember this is a list to rate potential strawhats BEFORE they join, so by definition you can't include criteria that ANY of the strawhats didn't meet BEFORE they joined, or the same list would have excluded those strawhats from joining.

In conclusion, almost all of these are nonsense, and even the few that aren't nonesense in theory are nonsense in this list because of the arbitrary points system. You can't possibly expect anyone to use this list. Also, stop making up new words and phrases. I don't care if you think the words fit, it just makes things more confusing when you use made up language.

God, I can't believe I spent almost an hour on this when I could have been practicing Portugues.
I frankly pity you for having to write all that down considering it's pretty much obvious, but great work! That was incredibly well written and formulated :cheers:

Told you I'm always open to discussion.

The problem of not having a point system like I told previously is that it put certains principle on the same level as criteria of importance to predict a strawhat when they are not. A post is for example a lot more interesting that a strong character arc.
Lol dude, that's not the point, everyone understands that some charateristics are more important than others, but if you implement a scoring system it becomes arbirtary and if the characteritics are co-depedent of each other it's like saying:

Do you need your brain or both your kidney more to live? Well obviously your brain, ok now give your brain and kidneys points based on that. Wut? :madmonk:

God, I can't believe I spent almost an hour on this when I could have been practicing Portugues.
That's why i have time to argue with C4N, it's my native language already:catrude:

:cr7:

Well yeah. That's the point. Be has absolute as possible. Therefore you can't say "Ace will join" (I'm sure some crazy fan are thinking about this and the fact that he might ressussitate.)

Being relevant means being IN the story and be able to impact its future. So Carrot fits that. And the rule is important as we need to sort a lot of character. Again. At first I had only the 11 Pillars. The seven rules came after when I decided to be actually fair and take 1000 character into account (yes, it took me hours but I checked 1000 characters for the 7 rules)

This is wrong. Nami had a unique ability at the beginning, her quasi magical skill for the weither prediction. Something that is - btw - still unexplained.
A unique ability is something that can be mesured objectively so this rules applies to all strawhats too, sorry.

Now this is a good point. You are right, Franky wasn't free. I don't know how I missed that. I think I took the case of Franky after the strawhats and not before. Good job, you debunked one point. Which makes my life actually easier.

I need to remember to change this at the end.

No. Franky is what we call a false antagonist. He was meant to join the crew. So this rules still applies. I've explained in detail this rule on my blog.

This is a good point. In my mind I take into account a strawhat that is on the edge of confirmation but yes, if we take a strawhat that is yet to be formed this rule doesn't apply anymore. I will delete it as well.

That's actually good, now we are moving.

I think this was due to a bias for Carrot and Yamato. But now that we are looking to less precise strawhat the rule needs indeed to be adjusted I'll do that right now.

Now, we need to understand that this section is not about the past of the recrutment but all the things that mugiwara have in common. Zoro, Robin and Jinbei all have a quirk therefore if a character happens to have a quirk they will get more points than a character that has none logically (hence why the point system is important)

Same things its about the thing they have in common. We are trying to distinguishes the chances between character here. If a character can't fight its logical that they get less point that a character that can.

You have to read my definition of antagonistic introduction. It means that the characters appears as menacing to the readers in any way shape or form. The first thing Sanji does he put down two guys and Jinbe is depicted in shading, both are menacing. Its important for the characterization of the character. For example a character that appears all gently will get less points that a character like Carrot that went straight for the head of Zoro. Logically. Again its about fairness.

No, just be more than one dimensional. But yes, its pretty basic. That's why it gets less points. As funny as it is, a character like Mihawk is very one dimensional compared to a character like Carrot or even Yamato.
This point is to get rid of the potential character that shouldn't have made it this far.

So for this one. I'll give you the definition of my blog:

All the strawhats seems to have a symbolic reach that can be broken down into several categories:

- A negative reputation which anchors the character in a marginal position while creating a contrast with his personnality and his actions
- A thematic incarnation that adds weight to the character's desires and is a reminder serving the main character: Luffy. This incarnation is highlighted thanks to the actions and the character's personnality traits. Example: Luffy incarnates the importance of Freedom. BTW my blog needs a rework on that portion for the strawhats I'm not very contempt with all the thematic incarnation of the strawhats.
- An animal alter-Ego which allows to better characterize the character. They are most often shown in the color pages. They can also vary from time to time.
- A cultural inspiration that makes the character resonate beyond his narrative barriers and gives the story a legendary echo. This was probably done by Oda in order to twist the expectation concerning the characters or to make their respective arc even more impactfull.

I gave it 4 point for each categories.

Actually. I think I will get rid of that Pillar. Its the same problem as before. now that I think about it once there is a hint, there is automatically a recrutment so it doesn't count for a strawhat that is unprecise. Forget it.

Okay so this one is VERY important and I can't forget it.

I don't know if you read my blog but this rule is basically an application of Truby's method for creating a good character arc:

Need + Desire (those two are very important, you can also call the desire the "dream" in One Piece) and there is a twist in One Piece there is a third need that is the loyalty to Luffy. If a character as those three they are very well placed to become a strawhat. Hence wy it has a lot of points.

I hope you understand now why I call this the THREE driving force (Need + Desire + Loyalty)

I'm trying to be fair. If I take that pillar into the rule section Carrot will be the only one with a post.

Well, maybe we can discuss on that.

Okay, this needs its own thread. Did you read the post on my blog here ?

https://carrotfornakama.wixsite.com/anyonefornakama/post/tenth-pillar-the-shining-nakama-action

Nope, Carrot has 0 here.

Now that interesting. One thing you should know is that I actually didn't like that Pillar but add it anyway AFTER all of them. And indeed, the refusal of the call of adventure of Usopp is debatable. I'm actually on the fence on this one. Meaning that I'm on the fence on this pillar as a whole. But this would advantage Carrot too much so I kept it.
If you want, I can get rid of this pillar too.

For the refusal, Robin and Nami actually broke the rule. I'm not sure for Usopp tho. I'm on the fence about his journey as it is quite special.

Look at this. In one post, by actually taking the time to take the theory legitimatly, you made me rethink a lot of it. Isn't that beautiful ?

Let's recap shall we:

I will keep the first rules but I will cut them short:

1 - To be alive, basic.
2 - To be relevant in the story, also basic
3 - To be unique or have a unique ability
4 - To be a friend or a false adversary
5 - To have a inherited will protagonist pillar.

We end up therefore with 5 basic rule instead of 7.

We can now integrate character such as:
- Carrot
- Yamato
- Momo
- Marco
- Bonney
- Law

(add more if you want)

As for the Pillar they are also reduced: (remember its not about what they are before the recrutment its about what they have in common with the strawhats)

1 - Quirk
2 - Fighting skill (one fighting still + Combo)
3 - Antagonistic Introduction
4 - Multi layered characterization
5 - Symbolic reach (4 layers)
6 - Strong character arc
7 - Three driving forces (hint?) (Needs / Dream or Desire / Loyalty)
8 - Post
9 - Shining nakama action
10 - The rescue

We end up with 5 basic rule and 10 pillars. I actually like that. Its easier.

Now if you have read everything, we should be in agreement. What is left to do is the distribution of points. So, looking at those 10 pillars, how would you do it ?
Please touch this for your own good⬇️

Bonney on the Lookout with a nice pair of Hover Shoes..
SH are shown to be exceptional in their role, I don't see what Bonney has that's exceptional as a lookout lol.

Carrot is the only notable display at that position in the entire series so far. it's undeniable she has the tools and showcased them in zou as well as WCI. Her introduction imo was a clear indicator of her skill set.

Lol dude, that's not the point, everyone understands that some charateristics are more important than others, but if you implement a scoring system it becomes arbirtary and if the characteritics are co-depedent of each other it's like saying:

Do you need your brain or both your kidney more to live? Well obviously your brain, ok now give your brain and kidneys points based on that. Wut? :madmonk:
What you don't want to understand is that some parameters are MORE IMPORTANT than others in the PREDICTION process.

A post is more important than a character arc, the three driving forces are more important than the quirk etc.

The comparison with living organs is therefore fallacious.

This is why we need points system, precisely because some things are more important than others.

How much free time do you think I have to spend hours going back the Nakama thread and look for examples? Unlike you I have a job. Just today I have an 11 hour day ahead of me and than also 1.5 hours of GYM, 7-8 hours of sleep. Spending time with significant people. Do you think I will waste hours of my precious free time to prove you wrong?
You haven't given me 1 single example mate. So yeah..

the only thing Oda has confirmed in terms of a pattern for the creation of the crew is a role in the crew in all this.
You must go beyond what Oda confirms and look at the storytelling.

What you don't want to understand is that some parameters are MORE IMPORTANT than others in the PREDICTION process.

A post is more important than a character arc, the three driving forces are more important than the quirk etc.

The comparison with living organs is therefore fallacious.

This is why we need points system, precisely because some things are more important than others.

You haven't given me 1 single example mate. So yeah..

You must go beyond what Oda confirms and look at the storytelling.
The problem is that you're trying to make it a solved formula, and it's not. A character with only half of these boxes checked could get in over a character with a perfect score. Almost everyone would put a different point amount for each item than you did and different from each other. Most people wouldn't even have the same list. It's not an exact science that you can quantify and assign points to. You can't make a ruleset, only light guidelines.