Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
The last OP magazine basically confirmed that we're getting another straw hat. However, I totally agree that it's too late in the game. That's why like with Jinbe it is essential for them to already be known and associated with the crew before joining. Characters like Kin emon, Momo, Law and Carrot would work in that regard since they've been travelling with the straw hats for arcs now. Act 1 of Wano was the latest point for me that I could see Oda risking introducing a straw hat. If someone was gonna join then we would already know who they were at the very least by that point.

The problem is, every single one of those characters has become irrelevant or redundant to people on the crew:

- Kinemon: his most useful/iconic technique taken by Zoro. No dream

- Momo: practically useless as a combatant. No relevant dream

- Law: is a doctor, which entirely proves he won't join because Chopper. No relevant dream

- Carrot: her powers aren't even unique. Shares sulong with her entire species. Shares electro with her entire species. May be redundant to chopper. No relevant dream.

At this time Yamato is extremely strong, has potential to have a dream and role on the crew, and certainly a unique power since her zoan is hidden, has had a ton of a relevance and back and forth dialogue with Luffy, and more, all under 20 chapters and counting. And the best part is, we still don't know enough about the character to make judgements beyond that.

We know enough about Momo, Kin, Carrot and Law to say they are redundant or essentially dreamless in relevancy to the plot, yet people can barely argue otherwise for Yamato since she's been serving way more importance to the main character and is still enigmatic enough where we can't argue otherwise about her dream, role and powers yet, because clearly Oda is saving them at this time.

Edit:

To say it's too late is a little disingenuous to the plot cause still clearly have several arcs left for the crew to feel complete

Last edited:
Honestly Oda could introduce a new SH 20 chapters before Laugh Tale and I wouldn't be surprised, people put too much stock in how late it might be or how it wouldn't work or make sense but that doesn't seem to be something that concerns him, even if crew members miss ''key'' moments or most of the journey they will still be considered proper crew once they join, Chopper isn't a lesser SH despite not being there during the dreams scene before Reverse Mountain any more than Brook is a lesser SH for not being part of Enies Lobby. I realize readers might see them as lacking or too late regardless but it's never the ''deal breaker'' people think it is.

H

Haoshoku

Honestly Oda could introduce a new SH 20 chapters before Laugh Tale and I wouldn't be surprised, people put too much stock in how late it might be or how it wouldn't work or make sense but that doesn't seem to be something that concerns him, even if crew members miss ''key'' moments or most of the journey they will still be considered proper crew once they join, Chopper isn't a lesser SH despite not being there during the dreams scene before Reverse Mountain any more than Brook is a lesser SH for not being part of Enies Lobby. I realize readers might see them as lacking or too late regardless but it's never the ''deal breaker'' people think it is.
Yeah I would have to agree, I don’t think Oda cares too much about things like that. He’s already admitted to the fact that he’s been coming up with stuff as he goes along the way. In the case of Yamato the fact that she’s been the focal point for the following whatever chapters after her name was first dropped speaks for itself, Oda has been treating her as a major player even despite the fact that she’s been introduced late into the arc. Though I can understand why people would view it as too late. Though if the requisite focus, portrayal and panel time is given, it doesn’t matter much in the long run imo.

The problem is, every single one of those characters has become irrelevant or redundant to people on the crew:
I never said all of them would join. In fact I'm extremely confident that only one of them actually will. I was only speaking "in that regard". Those are the only characters that are realistic options in terms of association and familiarisation with the crew.

The straw hats feel like a family, not just a collection of individuals. It's very important that new members feel integrated. Oda originally wanted the entire crew to join before going to the grand line. It's notable when some characters go beyond the casual arc companions and join them as if they were nakama. And again, with Jinbe his joining process was dragged to hell and back with him needing to be in 6 different arcs before officially joining.

That's why it only really makes sense for the next nakama at this stage in the series to be someone the straw hats are well accustomed with. Someone who's shared in their journey since they'll already feel like a part of the family.

So yes, that means characters like Yamao who were introduced out of nowhere less than 20 chapters ago at the end of the 3rd act, at the end of the final arc, at the end of the final major saga of their adventure are... extremely unlikely...

Last edited:
I never said all of them would join. In fact I'm extremely confident that only one of them actually will. I was only speaking "in that regard". Those are the only characters that are realistic options in terms of association and familiarisation with the crew.

The straw hats feel like a family, not just a collection of individuals. It's very important that new members feel integrated. Oda originally wanted the entire crew to join before going to the grand line. It's notable when some characters go beyond the casual arc companions and join them as if they were nakama. And again, with Jinbe his joining process was dragged to hell and back with him needing to be in 6 different arcs before officially joining.

That's why it only really makes sense for the next nakama at this stage in the series to be someone the straw hats are well accustomed with. Someone who's shared in their journey since they'll already feel like a part of the family.

So yes, that means characters like Yamao who were introduced out of nowhere less than 20 chapters ago at the end of the 3rd act, at the end of the final arc, at the end of the final major saga of their adventure are... extremely unlikely...
You're just fighting for an ideal long past dead.
Post automatically merged:

Is dizz ignoring me or wth.

Last edited:
I just can't understand. I thought Oda was really anxious to finally get to Wano,he definitely had plans for the arc before it started,yet one of the main players in the war,who got lots of focus,kid of the main foe,apparently future straw hat didn't even get one throwaway line mentioning or forshadowing them nowhere until 70 or so chapters in the arc?

Eh, this is a hot take or just massively blind to what is actually going on to the story. Yamato has had more relevance than any of these characters, this is a straight up fact with what had been happening. Seems more like you hate this and use this fact against her when it really just implies the opposite. In 20 chapters, she's had more going for her than anyone else right now in Wano. And there are several islands level which need to build up to the final war anyway. So just because she was introduced now has no bearing on it being a problem in the long run.

Also Brook joined like 20 chapters before everything went to shit for a 100 and Oda had to make Brook realistically care about being a Strawhat, so really its not and has never been a problem to introduce the character this late into the arc or storyline

There also really is no pattern. Just cause it took Jinbe a number of arcs to join, does not imply the next/final crew member needs to have that level of baggage to do the same.

I swear, some of you are just making a problem out of something that doesn't exist. Yamato revealed 70 chapters into an arc? Who cares? Arcs going to be 140+ by the end anyway. She's more relevant than most Wano characters now. In fact, she's been more relevant that 95% of the characters in this series considering her background, presence, powers, and relation to Kaido, Ace, Oden, and Momo.

I feel like people just need to accept this fact. We have a unique, extremely powerful female fighter on our hands that hasn't even shown her full potential yet.

And she looks nothing like Nami. Not related to what you are saying but god i hate that argument

She's more relevant than most Wano characters now. In fact, she's been more relevant that 95% of the characters in this series considering her background, presence, powers, and relation to Kaido, Ace, Oden, and Momo.
And that's one of the many problems i have. The problem is not that she won't get any focus,SHE IS relevant, but rather that she's so important,and a future SH in your mind,yet Oda didn't even bother giving any sign of her existence,Tobi Roppo were at least named to be a thing in Act 2,but he couldn't throw anything Yamato's way,why? Because she's an afterthought. Kaido's kid? What a coincidence that no one knew she existed and Oda can make her as strong as he wants her to be to take down someone strong in the war. Scabbards not knowing that their biggest foe had a kid has to be one of their biggest L's. I guess he also wanted a way to bring Oden and the Oden wank to the battlefield,another piece to help the alliance and help protect Wano in the future.

But we'll see. For now Yamato is just chilling and talking to Momo,of course she's gonna get some fight,but will it be against Kaido? Or protecting and more bonding with Momo? Until then there's nothing more to add from me,because there's no new arguments for Yamato in those last pages in this discussion and Carrot's discussion won't bring anything new that hasn't been said in those past few years.

Eh, this is a hot take or just massively blind to what is actually going on to the story. Yamato has had more relevance than any of these characters, this is a straight up fact with what had been happening. Seems more like you hate this and use this fact against her when it really just implies the opposite.
No.
In 20 chapters, she's had more going for her than anyone else right now in Wano.
Or rather she's had almost every detail about her crammed in all at once to attempt to make up for her unprecedented lateness with zero foreshadowing.
Also Brook joined like 20 chapters before everything went to shit for a 100 and Oda had to make Brook realistically care about being a Strawhat, so really its not and has never been a problem to introduce the character this late into the arc or storyline
Bad example. Brook was introduced on literally the first chapter of the arc and was instantly asked to join by Luffy. He then went onboard the sunny, bonded with the straw hats (with Luffy actually showing an interest in Brook, unlike with Yamao). Luffy instantly remembered his name and promised to help him get his shadow back. Brook then bonded with multiple straw hats throughout the arc like Franky and Zoro telling them his story, and they saved him, until finally they all fought together as a crew at the end of the arc.

Whereas Yamao's introduced at the very end of 350 chapters of build up. And instead of bonding and developing a close relationship with the crew, her interaction with Luffy was essentially used as a way of bringing her into contact with Momo. The person who she's actually forming a close bond with. The one she says she'll lay down her life for. The one who she believes will guide the world to a new dawn.
There also really is no pattern. Just cause it took Jinbe a number of arcs to join, does not imply the next/final crew member needs to have that level of baggage to do the same.
It's about integration. 8/10 straw hats don't even know that Yamao exists. And for the two that do, she's no more than a random strong ally who's name they don't even know/don't care to remember. That would be one thing on its own, but the fact is that Oda is instead actively building up her relationships with other characters like Momo to such a great levels, speaks volumes.
And she looks nothing like Nami. Not related to what you are saying but god i hate that argument
Truth hurts, perhaps?

No.

Or rather she's had almost every detail about her crammed in all at once to attempt to make up for her unprecedented lateness with zero foreshadowing.

Bad example. Brook was introduced on literally the first chapter of the arc and was instantly asked to join by Luffy. He then went onboard the sunny, bonded with the straw hats (with Luffy actually showing an interest in Brook, unlike with Yamao). Luffy instantly remembered his name and promised to help him get his shadow back. Brook then bonded with multiple straw hats throughout the arc like Franky and Zoro telling them his story, and they saved him, until finally they all fought together as a crew at the end of the arc.

Whereas Yamao's introduced at the very end of 350 chapters of build up. And instead of bonding and developing a close relationship with the crew, her interaction with Luffy was essentially used as a way of bringing her into contact with Momo. The person who she's actually forming a close bond with. The one she says she'll lay down her life for. The one who she believes will guide the world to a new dawn.

It's about integration. 8/10 straw hats don't even know that Yamao exists. And for the two that do, she's no more than a random strong ally who's name they don't even know/don't care to remember. That would be one thing on its own, but the fact is that Oda is instead actively building up her relationships with other characters like Momo to such a great levels, speaks volumes.

Truth hurts, perhaps?
"No". Defend it then. Do a panel count. Compare storylines. Compare powers relative to the crew, personality, fighting style, and more. Realize how much Yamato has been present in only 60% of Act 3 and has been way more relevant than any of those characters. Funny how virtually everything in this post is attacking her integration into Wano, rather than her actual merit. It shows how weak the argument actually is against her.

Everything regarding "bonding" with Momo involves talking about Luffy and Ace lol, so uh, not really a great comparison. Again, judge the character when the arc is over, not 20 chapters into her inception. You have the hindsight of knowing why every crew member was great when they joined. Oda's method of having the first 8 members join is very different from how Jinbe is, which entirely shows why we can't make the same arguments for any future member.

And yeah, the truth hurts when people use the same 3 pics from her initial reveal and compare 1 of several thousand Nami panels that exist in the manga, along with entirely knowing the fact that the author has a notable "pretty face" problem. We all know this. It's not new. Not just that, but even Robin has gotten more "Nami-like" over the years since the timeskip.

Funny how none of you take Yamato's recent panels, action moments, jump cover or Volume 98s cover and try to compare it to Nami. Its starting to get ridiculous lmao

I gave no response because it was a lengthy bunch of nonsense and nothing more. Your actual arguments got a response.
Funny how virtually everything in this post is attacking her integration into Wano, rather than her actual merit. It shows how weak the argument actually is against her.
Uh, no...it shows that we're on the topic of integration... Yamao's other failings have been discussed to death in this thread lmao. It's not normal to bring up every single counter argument against a character whenever you mention them. Ahh, perhaps that's why you randomly brought up the Nami face when it had nothing to do with the discussion??
Everything regarding "bonding" with Momo involves talking about Luffy and Ace lol, so uh, not really a great comparison.
Point to where Ace was mentioned in Yamao's most character defining moment, where she proudly declares who she is and what she stands for.
And yeah, the truth hurts when people use the same 3 pics from her initial reveal and compare 1 of several thousand Nami panels that exist in the manga, along with entirely knowing the fact that the author has a notable "pretty face" problem. We all know this. It's not new. Not just that, but even Robin has gotten more "Nami-like" over the years since the timeskip.

Funny how none of you take Yamato's recent panels, action moments, jump cover or Volume 98s cover and try to compare it to Nami. Its starting to get ridiculous lmao
So half your reply is in response to 3 words of mine? Lol. Seems like you were just itching to discuss Yamao's Nami features all along. Lol. I'm not interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's objectively true however.

The story plot is so robust, starting from main plot to sub plots, on top of superlative backgrounds, historical accuracy, and amazing variety. A multi-faceted masterpiece of an arc.
I don't really think that to be the case. It has many issues with its story writing itself especially early in the story where it felt stupid just to make a certain plot play out and not really on par of what is expected of a top author. Only the major plots are Ok and mostly people are hyped because of the event/characters it involves in the arc.

It's objectively true however.

The story plot is so robust, starting from main plot to sub plots, on top of superlative backgrounds, historical accuracy, and amazing variety. A multi-faceted masterpiece of an arc.
You just have to remember that the One Piece fan base has the memory of a fly and they think that the time between chapters factors into how good or bad the pacing is. They always hate the current arc. It happens literally every time. Once we're on the next arc they'll all like Wano and forget they ever hated it.

Status
Not open for further replies.