Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What if both Yamato and Carrot join the crew? Is this will be OK with you or you will boycott the series?
I say bring it. When Oda wants to write a character, he makes them work well. Carrot’s bishouju gag and Chopper-aniki are legit funny. If Oda writes Carrot as an actual secondary protagonist, she’s fine. See WCI. It’s just not WCI anymore and Carrot has not had one gag in all of Wano. I don’t really find anything entertaining in her story at the moment, but maybe when the raid is over that’ll change.

It’s just that everything points to only one spot left. Luffy wanted 10 crew members, the editors recently reaffirmed that Luffy meant 10 besides him, Oda loves soccer teams of 10 teammates plus the Captain, and Blackbeard has 10 Titanic Captains. If there is one spot left, Oda is clearly building to Yamato. Even the Carrot fans admit this. They’re just praying and begging it’s a red herring, probably to convince themselves more than anyone else. It’s the denial phase of copium.

I find Yamato more entertaining to watch. Carrot works in Chopper’s or Nami’s shadow, but we already have our cowardly trio. She just feels like an extra when with the other strawhats. She never had that focus. Wanda had more focus than Carrot in Zou even. I admit that her gags do work, but she’s extremely reactionary rather than pushing any plot herself. Even when she chased after Perospero, Oda offscreened it. True, he offscreened Nami/Usopp vs Ulti/P1, but they got their full fight later. Carrot just ate grass until Neko came along.

There’s also nothing standing in the way of her “dream.” Even if you say her dream is to have an adventure, nothing really stands in her way from the story’s plot with the remaining antagonists. Nobody on the Marines or Blackbeard directly oppose her achieving it unless she gets a true heart-to-heart with Luffy when he beats Jack or Perospero for her. Oh, wait. She doesn’t really have a tangible dream in the way Nami or Franky or Brook do that someone can antagonize. Neither does Jinbei, but he and Luffy had a true heart-to-heart in Impel Down and Fishman Island.

Yamato’s dreams are all tied-up with the strawhats. Revenge for Ace, having the same adventure as Oden by going to Laugh Tale specifically, knows Luffy’s true dream which no other strawhat knows. That ties everything to Blackbeard (and probably Alvarro or Devon cosplaying as Oden since BB knew him), the Marines with Akainu, and Sabo with the Revolutionaries. Yamato has just as much purpose on the crew as any of the others with all that stands in their way.

If both join, it can work and Oda’s comedy will make both shine, but I can’t help but feel that while Yamato would be running off with Luffy and getting lots of screentime, Carrot would just be a consolation prize to chill with one-liners next to Nami or Chopper. I can’t in good faith root for that kind of addition to the crew.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Damn where carrot at?:pepedoffy:
inb4 ArC sPeCiFiC pRiNcEsSeS aLwAyS gEt MeRcHaNdIsE, especially since four of Luffy’s crew mates and Yamato’s father are shown here with other characters while the main protagonist is paired up with someone the lowest common denominators believe won’t be important going forward :cheers:
Post automatically merged:

Law and Kid are paired with their right hand men…but Luffy’s “wings” are lumped together while their captain shares his space with Yamato :luffyswat:

Last edited:
No, you asked for what her setup was to join. I'm starting to think you don't read what question I'm answering along with what I say. I can quote my original paragraph if you don't believe me.

The Chapter 999 title uses the pronoun "kimi", which only Yamato uses, so yes she brewed it. When you then combine the titles, it's Yamato saying she brewed sake to drink with Luffy.

The only time Luffy does a sake toast with someone is when a new crewmate joins. Even if you look at when the grand fleet was created, they were toasting to another drink. Jinbe was going to be inducted through sake before it got delayed for no real reason. As everyone agrees here, that's most likely because a new SH will be there for it as well and the one with the most setup around that is Yamato. It also properly wraps up that plot thread with Ace never getting her to join his crew after the sake toast they shared.

I'll just leave this here again. Robin was accepted to join by Luffy simply cause she's a good person. They had a far less developed connection/relationship than he does with Yamato. Luffy never shown any starry eyes or interest the entire time before that and he still had no problem accepting her question.

When Yamato asks Luffy to join after the raid, what makes you think he'll say no?

Luffy is the next Roger due to their striking similarities in their personalities, actions, and desires. This was the case when Ace was alive as well so I really don't see your point here. Ace, Momo and Yamato all dealt with being in the shadow of their blood father they had nothing in common with and their arcs revolved around coming out of it. Ace, just like Yamato, took after his father's rival and Momo is becoming his own person while resembling Kaido's image. Saying Momo is the next Oden is inherently wrong with his entire character arc.
I asked for setup -> you responded -> I asked if Yamato was a Brewer per your response of setup -> response that clarifies the 999 title is Yamato's words per "kimi" therefore making Yamato a Brewer. I read and responded. You clearly understood what I meant as you answered. I admit this could be foreshadowing.

Every crewmate had a sake toast when they joined? I don't recall that.

I've already stated Luffy would not likely refuse Yamato a ride on Sunny. I don't think Luffy would refuse most people. Yamato asking to join is probably the same. Yamato's a good person who is strong. But my point is what else? Others have been good and strong but they aren't crewmates. And IMO Yamato self inviting as is is not a good setup compared to past crewmates. Luffy asked Vivi to join who refused but was a red herring to Robin self inviting after saving each other's lives not simply because Robin's a good person. Luffy and Robin's relationship developed based on those experiences. Then promptly after joining Robin won the crew (besides Zoro) over. Robin's Devil Fruit powers were what interested Luffy, Chopper, and Usopp sealing the deal. No starry eyes necessary to see Luffy was happy. Maybe Yamato DF powers could make snowmen or icemen as Luffy would love that (though why hasn't Brook done something like that). But I'll agree to disagree Yamato's relationship with Luffy as is is more developed than Robin's and Luffy's. Nothing Yamato has done in Luffy's POV tops Robin saving Luffy's life IMO.

Ace and Yamato don't like their biological fathers. Momo is different. I doubt Momo has problems emulating his father. In fact, Momo probably could do a better impersonation than Yamato now that he's grown.

Here's my problem. You are accusing me of brushing off your rebuttals yet refuse to acknowledge a possibility I mentioned. Yamato stays in Wano for Momo.

Similar age in 28
Similarities with one another's fathers
Both in line to be Shogun
Yamato can mentor Momo with powers
Developing bond
Mythical Devil Fruit users
History in Wano
"Rightful Heir" and "Enemy Princess"

The setup is there. It's deliberate by Oda.

There are a still questions unanswered that may go against Yamato riding the Sunny.

How do you think Yamato will act/respond if Momo looks similar to Oden? Yamato may be giving Pudding levels of personality disorder and Bartolomeo levels of Oden fanatic. Imagine...Yamato Kozuki. Marrying Momo who may look like Oden and having the Kozuki family name may be the closest for Yamato to being Oden Kozuki.

Why hasn't Luffy seen Yamato or any Minks transform? This is deliberate. The payoff may be huge.

What's stopping Yamato from changing their mind on when they leave Wano? Opening Wano's borders will mean an increase in border security to compensate for the the lose of security from closed borders. Yamato may feel guilt for their father ruining a great nation and take responsibility by helping protect and rebuild Wano. Leaving Wano happens afterwards.

Who would Oden consider his succesor is?
Luffy freed Yamato from her physical chains and Yamato protected Momo and Shinobu after Luffy asked her too. She also countered Ulti for him and held back Kaidou from hurting anyone else after he lost around 2. This is even putting aside they both did a side by side attack against Kaido at the start of Round 3, so I think there’s stuff they like about each other already.
Luffy didn't need Yamato's help against Ulti as he was about to turn Gear 4. Yamato showed they can follow orders and can fight. Luffy had a side by side attack with X Drake. Doesn't mean X Drake is joining.

What does Luffy like about Yamato?

Yamato crying does not mean joining the Strawhats. Knowing Luffy exists doesn't mean joining.

It all depends on Luffy's whims and peaking his interest.
SO youre saying no one can join until Luffy shows overwhelming interest in them first?
Because Luffy didnt care much for Nami till he found out she was a Navigator, she even suggested they team up and Luffy blew her off

And I didnt want to mention Robin again but yeah... not real interest in her, just knew she wasnt a bad person and she even asked to join the crew and Luffy accepted

Not saying youre wrong but IMMEDIATE interest isnt the deciding factor in a character's candidacy
What i was saying with Yamato is that her overwhelming belief in Luffy prior to meeting him only adds to her drive of wanting to join his crew
Which gives substantial standing to the argument that she could be the next straw hat

What if both Yamato and Carrot join the crew? Is this will be OK with you or you will boycott the series?
I would be upset that Carrot joined because adamant i am about her not joining but I know after a short period of time I'll warm up to her
Same thing happened in Water 7, I was SOOOOOO against Franky and thought it would be Paulie who would join, but after a short time in Thriller Bark I started to love him

Last edited:
I read and responded. You clearly understood what I meant as you answered. I admit this could be foreshadowing.
We just had a misunderstanding here then. I made it clear I was responding to your question of Yamato's setup to join and the only thing you got from that was a brewer role, which was in no way what my argument was about.
But my point is what else? Others have been good and strong but they aren't crewmates.
Those others also never asked to join or hinted that they want to. I agree that plenty of other characters are good natured and catch Luffy's eye, but only the SHs express interest in sailing the seas with him. That's the big deal about Oda having Yamato explicitly say she wants to join Luffy. That's a line that literally no one in the story has said but recruits.
Nothing Yamato has done in Luffy's POV tops Robin saving Luffy's life IMO.
This is an opinionated point, but Yamato stalling Kaido in his absence is at bare minimum comparable. He expressed more gratitude for her than he did for Robin and even gave a smile. It does make sense given that Kaido would've killed all his friends otherwise.

Ace and Yamato don't like their biological fathers. Momo is different. I doubt Momo has problems emulating his father. In fact, Momo probably could do a better impersonation than Yamato now that he's grown.
Momo and Oden are not alike. That's my point. Yes Momo will be the shogun, but Oden wanted to do the exact opposite all his life. They share different personalities and ambitions whereas Yamato lines up as much as Luffy does with Roger. The story has numerous examples of kids accepting they aren't just like their father and that's exactly what Momo learned in his character arc.
Who would Oden consider his succesor is?
Who did Roger say was his successor?
How do you think Yamato will act/respond if Momo looks similar to Oden?
Surprised and happy like Shinobu I guess? I hope you don't genuinely believe she'll have a pedophilic relationship with Momo, who's still an 8 year old mentally. And also this would change her dream that's lasted for 20 years.
Why hasn't Luffy seen Yamato or any Minks transform? This is deliberate. The payoff may be huge.
Oda has also been deliberately saving Yamato's meeting with the SHs, unlike any other Wano character.
What's stopping Yamato from changing their mind on when they leave Wano?
She's seen the current state of Wano, knows fully well what Kaido has been doing, and still said she wants to leave with Luffy. She doesn't even claim Kaido as her father, let alone feeling guilt for his actions. Also, the question falls on you to bring a good reason why she'd change her mind on the perfect opportunity to achieve her lifelong dream.

Once in a month mid tier otherwise very weak. Bland design. No sad past. Nothing interesting about her. There were many other characters with much better backstory, it would feel very wrong. She does not deserve it now and I dont think she ever will, after all these years being ignored from Oda.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Luffy's and Yamato's relationship is getting overblown. What does Luffy like about Yamato? Those who believe Yamato is going to join for whatever reason avoid answering this.
How is it getting overblown? You said Luffy needs to directly show he likes Yamato and the like. Luffy literally knew less about Robin than he did Yamato and she joined. Robin is a walking counter argument against this idea that Luffy needs some type of special likeability for a SH.

When will Luffy even say "Yamato" instead of "Yamao"? The toast? The invite? What's really amusing is all Luffy has to simply change is the last syllable and yet refuses. Luffy seems like his putting Yamato in Law territory in terms of nicknames.
SHs were given nicknames by Luffy before they joined. He called Chopper "reindeer" until he joined. Oda himself says Luffy gives people nicknames but will make an effort to remember them if they become crewmembers.

Robin saved Luffy. Luffy saved Robin. Let's revisit when Yamato saves Luffy's life or at least from serious harm.
When has this ever been a criteria for Luffy to like you or to be a SH? Zoro and Usopp didn't save Luffy when they joined. Franky and Brooke didn't save Luffy either.

You stated Zoro's color scheme and shirt pattern resembling Jinbe.
I said the shirt Zoro wore for Arlong Park, the arc where Jinbe was first mentioned, had the same color scheme and pattern as his skin and sideburns. Foreshadowing in hindsight.

I agree about 10 joining Luffy. It's part of the reason Yamato's setup compared to the last crewmates in Brook and Jinbe seems underwhelming. I believe the last crewmate getting significant buildup will look genius in hindsight.
That's very subjective. And I also feel Yamato is being forced down the reader's throats.

So you don't like Yamato but think she will join?
Don't like Yamato, don't want her to join, but there's lots of evidence suggesting she will.

What does Luffy like about Yamato?
I'd believe Luffy likes her determination, kindness, fierce attitude she has had in holding Kaidou back, and just her understanding how she "gets" him in wanting to fight alone:

but there's lots of evidence suggesting she will.
As mentioned before, I get the feeling whatever lore is explained like with Joy Boy will make her fate more clear.

It would feel random and unnatural for someone like Carrot to join since she has 0 buildup joining and she's way not powerful enough as a NW recruit as compared to Jinbe and Yamato...

But I have no control over the story so I won't mind... It will just add to one of my personal list of major flaws in Oda's writing throughout the series...

Can't wait until Kaido is proven wrong on this.

Would be a sweet moment if the SHs are with her in front of Kaido the moment that is proven wrong...

Would be a sweet moment if the SHs are with her in front of Kaido the moment that is proven wrong...
Yeah, after Luffy kicks his ass, he just wakes up find out that his princess daughter ran off with some monkey weirdo, and further denies him of the empire he that thought up with her as shogun.

Last edited:

Pot Goblin

Conejo Blanco
Part of the reason why I personally think Carrot has the chance to do something else is due to her condition after her fight with Perospero.

Like she was definitely injured and all that but I feel like it's nothing she couldn't recover from in the time between the end of her fight and the end of Nekomamushi's. She wasn't even white-eyed knocked out like some other characters were. Especially compared to Usopp who's been running around Onigashima with a broken skull just fine. I do feel it is at least plausible that she has the opportunity to go Sulong one last time before the end of the arc.

She only turned Sulong once and was still conscious after her fight and was jumping and hugging Nekomamushi after his.

Status
Not open for further replies.