Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Of course it doesn't apply to all the strawhat, it's the development of Carrot, for others strawhat it had a different scale and a different nature.
Right, other Straw Hats development only ramped up as the story went along until they joined, while Carrot dipped immediately after her introduction in Zou, had an uptick when Pedro died, and then nosedived as soon as they neared Wano.

The fact that we can say that Carrot will have to "accept" the harsh truth of life is through Perospero's word. The development of Carrot comes from him. By his words Oda is telling us that Carrot can't sail the seas if she thinks that this will be a pic nic. Then Perospero (a bad guy) close in with a trope by implying that she is not meant to be a pirate anyway and she should just go back where she comes from.

Carrot therefore has to prove to perospero that he is wrong. That will come with the acceptation that life.. CAN be hard and losing friend is part of the process.
Camie was an innocent and naive mermaid who was called trash by the Celestial Dragons. She even had a dream to be a world-famous fashion designer and hung around with the Straw Hats for multiple arcs. To quote one of the things you repeatedly bring up as proof for Carrot joining, Camie was also filled with wonder at the sight of the world outside of Fishman Island. If that is enough, why didn't she join? Why didn't she get an arc where she learns that she's not trash?

Right, other Straw Hats development only ramped up as the story went along until they joined, while Carrot dipped immediately after her introduction in Zou, had an uptick when Pedro died, and then nosedived as soon as they neared Wano.

Camie was an innocent and naive mermaid who was called trash by the Celestial Dragons. She even had a dream to be a world-famous fashion designer and hung around with the Straw Hats for multiple arcs. To quote one of the things you repeatedly bring up as proof for Carrot joining, Camie was also filled with wonder at the sight of the world outside of Fishman Island. If that is enough, why didn't she join? Why didn't she get an arc where she learns that she's not trash?
Do not ask a question that is too deep, my friend. I personally consider arguments from someone who got banned in 2 main One Piece forums as irrelevant, and I chose to pretty much consider that “someone” as non-existent.

He admitted he’s here not to be “a gentle dog” and intentionally provoke people (especially Yamato fans) to get banned, tells something…

Only for him to be the one who got banned. He surely barks more than he bites. “Not a gentle dog” indeed.
:kailaugh:

Last edited:
Do not ask a question that is too deep, my friend. I personally consider arguments from someone who got banned in 2 main One Piece forums as irrelevant, and I chose to pretty much consider that “someone” as non-existent.

He admitted he’s here not to be “a gentle dog” and intentionally provoke people (especially Yamato fans) to get banned, tells something…

Only for him to be the one who got banned. He surely barks more than he bites. “Not a gentle dog” indeed.
I don´t know If is true that he was banned two times. But you are right about one thing. In the moment that he said "not to be a gentle dog" he was saying that he was here only to bother...

I am still saying that Monet, Yamato, Boa or even Vivi has more "nakama things" to join than carrot. But I am not going to say that carrot is a bad character when in one piece no one is a bad character.

But when C4N says that he wants a "coherent storytelling" he is only saying that to attack yamato.

I don´t know If is true that he was banned two times. But you are right about one thing. In the moment that he said "not to be a gentle dog" he was saying that he was here only to bother...

I am still saying that Monet, Yamato, Boa or even Vivi has more "nakama things" to join than carrot. But I am not going to say that carrot is a bad character when in one piece no one is a bad character.

But when C4N says that he wants a "coherent storytelling" he is only saying that to attack yamato.
Not 2 times but banned in 2 main OP forums. Perma ban in Arlong Park and temp ban here.

And anyway before he said I’m toxic (masculinity), or whatever it is, I was stating facts that he’s banned for reasons. If he feels offended and start calling me out, then I missed the part where that’s my problem.

Meh, I'm not concerned. I assume they're arguing in at least some good faith, so I'm willing to debate their points. It does suck that the thread has to revolve around arguing against Carrot for there to be any activity, but there are only so many ways people can say "Yamato is joining."

I am still saying that Monet, Yamato, Boa or even Vivi has more "nakama things" to join than carrot.
I would disagree with Monet who only really has a unique design as evidence for her joining, but Yamato, Hancock, and Vivi have all had enough development that if Oda had them join, it would feel earned. I can't say the same for Carrot.

On a non-Carrot topic, I get the feeling that Oda might be setting Luffy up as another Rocks figure that wrangles a group of "monsters" under his control that will be important in the next age of pirates, particularly Law, Kidd, and Yamato. While I don't necessarily think Law and Kidd will fully join the crew, I think the lines between crewmate and ally might be blurred for those two.

First. Let's be clear. I NEVER mentionned that I was here to provoc people to get them banned. Some of you guyz (and the mod who banned me) invented that rumor to explain why you were feeling stressed by my presence and being more toxic that usual.
If that month proved one thing is that you need a punching bag, that's what you guyz crave.

What I was here at first to was to be a respounse to toxicity and punish it if necessary by a report. But let's be honest I didn't report that much to begin with.

This will change from now on. I won't reply to toxicity anymore and I will just ignore it and report meticuloussely any insult or invective toward me or any Carrot fan I see.

I had a discussion with my fellow Carrot fans and we think that your (you guyz) current toxicity toward Carrot will just be enough to punish you once Carrot is confirmed as crewmate. And if that's not enough and you still start to attack Carrot after she joins, there will be a screenshot blitz on twitter.

For anything else, I'll keep replying to you guyz with this time the will to deconstruct the core of your vision toward the story and the future nakama.

Carrot's development as always been in the background. Don't worry, he will focus on her when he will confirme her

Camie, like many background character in One Piece, only played the role of catalysis for the story. Camie doesn't have any real development. She stays consistant in the narrative. Carrot is different, even if right now her development is subtle, she do has a development. She always is spotlighted in the story as a real protagonist by Oda, not just as a simple background character like Wanda or Sicilian.

There is a reason why Carrot is one of the main potential as a new crewmate in the community. The way Oda depicted her is on a completely different level that ANY background character you have seen until now. The good move by Oda, is to make you think that Carrot is still a background character when she is in fact much more.
Post automatically merged:

Concerning the "gentle dog thing" what I meant was that I was here to reply to toxicity. Which is a systemic problem in this forum. So my goal was not to cause trouble but the opposite, make this forum safer for Carrot fan who can't take toxicity anymore (because Carrot fan are not toxic Zoro or Sanji fans, most of us are actually pretty sensible people and there is no shame in that)

I don't dislike Yamato. In fact, the moment I see a glimps of clew for a real potentiality of recruitment, I will say that both might join. That has not happened yet and no Yamato, Boa, Monet or Vivi have obviously less checkspoint that Carrot in the race to the Sunny.

Last edited:
Camie, like many background character in One Piece, only played the role of catalysis for the story. Camie doesn't have any real development. She stays consistant in the narrative.
Pre-time-skip, she was naive and gullible. She learned about the realities of human treatment towards mermaids and fishmen, both positive (Straw Hats) and negative (Celestial Dragons). Post-time-skip, she's matured enough that she lives on her own without Pappug and Hatchan and was the one to take charge after Sanji had his blood loss. She's had plenty of development. She's even shown more drive for her dream compared to Carrot, having taken up tutelage under a world-famous designer. People say Carrot inherited Pedro's dream despite that she's never even brought it up, even during the one time she remembered him post-death.

That also doesn't explain why Camie didn't get an arc focused on her overcoming being denigrated by the world nobles. That's just post hoc ergo propter hoc. She was treated by the Celestial Dragons the exact same way, why didn't that get addressed?

Carrot is different, even if right now her development is subtle, she do has a development.
What development has she gotten beyond getting mad at the sight of Perospero?

She always is spotlighted in the story as a real protagonist by Oda, not just as a simple background character like Wanda or Sicilian.
Patently false, she hasn't been in the spotlight for dozens of chapters, and even longer between going Sulong and her loss to Perospero. Note that appearing is not the same as having the spotlight.

There is a reason why Carrot is one of the main potential as a new crewmate in the community.
That has dwindled considerably as Wano has continued. The vast majority consider Yamato the only real candidate.

The way Oda depicted her is on a completely different level that ANY background character you have seen until now.
She's on the same level as other arc allies, like Kokoro/Chimney, Lola, Pudding, Camie, etc. I would put her below Law, Momo, Kinemon, Hancock, Bon Clay, just to name a few.

The good move by Oda, is to make you think that Carrot is still a background character when she is in fact much more.
Explain how that is good and how she is "much more." Oda is not subtle when he wants you to know a character is important. He proverbially shouts it from the rooftops.

Last edited:
Pre-time-skip, she was naive and gullible. She learned about the realities of human treatment towards mermaids and fishmen, both positive (Straw Hats) and negative (Celestial Dragons). Post-time-skip, she's matured enough that she lives on her own without Pappug and Hatchan and was the one to take charge after Sanji had his blood loss. She's had plenty of development. She's even shown more drive for her dream compared to Carrot, having taken up tutelage under a world-famous designer. People say she inherited Pedro's dream despite that she's never even brought it up, even during the one time she remembered him post-death.

That also doesn't explain why she didn't get an arc focused on her overcoming being denigrated by the world nobles. That's just post hoc ergo propter hoc. She was treated by the Celestial Dragons the exact same way, why didn't that get addressed?
What you call development here is character evolution. This is not a diegetic development. Camie didn't passed through hard trial and hardship, Camie only evolved with the state of the narration. This is completely different that having a real development like Yamato or Carrot.

What development has she gotten beyond getting mad at the sight of Perospero?
That IS a development. Carrot went from being a naive stowaway to being morally and personnally involved in a war and a conflict because of revenge. Like I said we passed through 3 stages of her development, we will see 5 in total.

Patently false, she hasn't been in the spotlight for dozens of chapters, and even longer between going Sulong and her loss to Perospero. Note that appearing is not the same as having the spotlight.

Being spotlighted as a protagonist doesn't mean you need to have a lot of chapter. It means that when you are on screen, the author focus on YOU as a character and YOUR emotions. That's why during the fight between Nekomamushi and Perospero, the emotion spotlighted were not the ones of Neko or Wanda, but Carrot.

Spotlighted mean emphasis. Remember : It's always quality over quantity. Another example is the fact that Perospero talked to Carrot and Carrot ALONE, while Wanda was Ko on the side.

That has dwindled considerably as Wano has continued. The vast majority consider Yamato the only real candidate.
This won't last. You will soon see a swift turn in the community at the end of Wano.

She's on the same level as other arc allies, like Kokoro/Chimney, Lola, Pudding, Camie, etc. I would put her below Law, Momo, Kinemon, Hancock, Bon Clay, just to name a few.

Explain how that is good and how she is "much more." Oda is not subtle when he wants you to know a character is important. He proverbially shouts it from the rooftops.
Not in term of treatment. She is beyond ALL those character even if you don't see it clearly.

And Oda is a master for keeping the characters out of focus when he needs to. He did that with Robin and he used the same tricks to prevent the readers to understand that Raizo was safe. It's all about the subtle hint. You are not supposed to think that Carrot is much more than a background character right now. But she is. And if you want a simple example on why:

Remember, in all the story, only 2 people helped as real crewmates on a real post on the Sunny:

Pedro and Carrot on the lookout post.

And the first died to make the second live.

Hypothetically speaking, Yamato nay sayers main argument is that Oden's journal contains end game revelations.. What if for example, there was no mention of Laughtale in it, would it validate Yamato as the next Strawhat?..
:seriously:
Post automatically merged:

listening to your essays on why Larrot should be a crew member.
Now that I think about people can ramble about their theories to an online therapist.. :suresure:

What you call development here is character evolution. This is not a diegetic development. Camie didn't passed through hard trial and hardship, Camie only evolved with the state of the narration. This is completely different that having a real development like Yamato or Carrot.
She was literally kidnapped, had a bomb collar put around her neck, held at gunpoint about to be murdered, about to be sold into slavery for the purpose of entertainment where she would have at best been either a plaything or been chased by piranhas until she either died from exhaustion or the piranhas ate her, and had her friend shot in front of her. But you're right, she never faced hardship.

I also have no idea what you're trying to say with Camie only having evolution and not development. Those are synonyms. She has clearly developed after the time-skip which is undeniable.

That IS a development. Carrot went from being a naive stowaway to being morally and personnally involved in a war and a conflict because of revenge. Like I said we passed through 3 stages of her development, we will see 5 in total.
She ignored the war in order to take her revenge. Her fighting Perospero is not for the greater cause of the war, it is purely for selfish reasons. That's still lingering from her anger at Pedro's death, and now with Perospero's defeat, she has returned to being the hanger-on character she was with Nekomamushi. She has shown no further development from having her sole target defeated.

Being spotlighted as a protagonist doesn't mean you need to have a lot of chapter. It means that when you are on screen, the author focus on YOU as a character and YOUR emotions. That's why during the fight between Nekomamushi and Perospero, the emotion spotlighted were not the ones of Neko or Wanda, but Carrot.
No, it was definitely on Nekomamushi. All Carrot did was shout Nekomamushi's name in a panel where she definitely not the focus.

Spotlighted mean emphasis. Remember : It's always quality over quantity.
Of which Carrot has neither.

Another example is the fact that Perospero talked to Carrot and Carrot ALONE, while Wanda was Ko on the side.
Which is the only highlight Carrot got in the entirety of Wano and it did not develop her character in anyway, unlike Brooke where we learned about how important his afro is to him and how it ties into his dream of seeing Laboon again.

This won't last. You will soon see a swift turn in the community at the end of Wano.
All evidence, on both the narrative and metanarrative level, points squarely at Yamato. Even Carrot fans have resorted to hoping that Carrot joins with Yamato. It's fitting since that's what she's been reduced to, someone who rides the coattails of other characters in order to be relevant.

Not in term of treatment. She is beyond ALL those character even if you don't see it clearly.
No, she's not.

And Oda is a master for keeping the characters out of focus when he needs to. He did that with Robin
With Robin he built up intrigue by connecting her to the greater mysteries of the One Piece world: the Poneglyphs and the Will of D. while also having her save Luffy from the main antagonist despite seemingly being an antagonist herself, having attacked Vivi and Pell. The best Carrot has going for her is that the Minks have ties to the Kozuki clan and a few Minks, namely Nekomamushi, Inuarashi, and Pedro, have stated their interest in the Dawn of the World. Carrot herself has never shown any interest in the Dawn.

Remember, in all the story, only 2 people helped as real crewmates on a real post on the Sunny:

And the first died to make the second live.
You creating criteria does not mean Oda is following it. Many people have helped the Straw Hats before, many have even acted as a lookout/scout since it's one of the easiest ways to make side characters appear useful to the crew. All Oda has to do is have them keep their eyes open.

We had Yosaku report back to Luffy about what happened after the crew split at Baratie, Chimney scouted out Enies Lobby and helped direct everyone towards Robin, the Tonta Corps had an entire spy network to report on what was going on around Dressrosa through their flying beetles and moving so fast no one can see them. Viola is perhaps the best example since all of the Straw Hats who aren't currently working at being the best at their jobs are highly specialized already. Viola's Devil Fruit makes her one of, if not the, best lookouts, especially more so than Carrot since she can see for miles around in literally every direction and can telepathically link to birds to have an even better view. All of that trounces Carrot's supposed specialty in being a lookout.

As it so happens, with Boxset 4's release, I've been reading Zou and Whole Cake again. Multiple crew members have shown that they can already handle any lookout/scout needs already, with Brooke specifically saying that he specialized in being a scout. There's also Usopp spotting multiple points of interest, Luffy and Sanji also quickly getting above the treetops in Zou and spotting something in the distance, and now we have Zeus who covers everything Carrot can: Electric attacks, Flying > jumping, transforms anytime > transforming once a month, and he's now permanently tied to the Navigator, the person a lookout would report to. Carrot is redundant multiple times over. Even worse, there are multiple times when she fails in her lookout duties. She failed to notice the crocodile in the Seducing Woods, she failed to notice the genie until it was right on top of her, and she failed to notice the fleet of ships in front of the Sunny until they had already surrounded the ship.

The role of Carrot in the story..

Wow Nami you’re so beautiful in that dress..
Wow Chopper bro you’re so cool..
Haha Luffy you’re so funny..

The Strawhats don’t need a useless cheerleader..
The role of Yamao in the story...

Hi Luffy I am Ace I will make Whitebeard the King
Hi Zoro I am Kuina, return my Wado back
Hi Chopper I am Hiruluk, a man only dies when he is forgotten!!

The Straw Hats don't need a weirdo cosplayer...

Last edited:
The role of Yamao in the story...

Hi Luffy I am Ace I will make Whitebeard the King
Hi Zoro I am Kuina, return my Wado back
Hi Chopper I am Bellemere, a man only dies when he is forgotten!!

The Straw Hats don't need a weirdo cosplayer...
I just imagined yamato being in crew and anime imitating all old scenes.... Like roger meeting rayleigh, That seems like auch a troll

She was literally kidnapped, had a bomb collar put around her neck, held at gunpoint about to be murdered, about to be sold into slavery for the purpose of entertainment where she would have at best been either a plaything or been chased by piranhas until she either died from exhaustion or the piranhas ate her, and had her friend shot in front of her. But you're right, she never faced hardship.

I also have no idea what you're trying to say with Camie only having evolution and not development. Those are synonyms. She has clearly developed after the time-skip which is undeniable.

Being kidnap or having a bomb collar does not make for a development. In a story, you can face hardship and being completely passive about it. That's Camie's case here. There is no development with a story, no internal hardship, no need to overcome. Camie was a fun background but she was just a catalysis in order for Oda to tell his story, nothing more. Carrot is completely different.[/QUOTE]

Evolution and development may be synonym, those do not describe the same thing. An evolution is a change of status for a character regarding his characterization for example it's Koby becoming Captain, this as nothing to do with development character which involve the crafting of an internal evolution in the character psyche and needs.

Carrot is being developped, Camie just had a nice evolution.

She ignored the war in order to take her revenge. Her fighting Perospero is not for the greater cause of the war, it is purely for selfish reasons. That's still lingering from her anger at Pedro's death, and now with Perospero's defeat, she has returned to being the hanger-on character she was with Nekomamushi. She has shown no further development from having her sole target defeated.
We don't care about the reason, in fact if Carrot was really selfish (which she was not, Perospero being a real threat for the alliance) it would be all the more interestesting for her character.

The next step of the developped as indeed not been shown yet, but it was implied by Perospero's word. Sometimes you don't have to look for the character to know that there will be a development, you just have to listen to the antagonist.

No, it was definitely on Nekomamushi. All Carrot did was shout Nekomamushi's name in a panel where she definitely not the focus.
Remember : What am I talking about here ? Am I talking about focus in term of action and paneling ? No. I was talking about emotionnal relevancy of the fight. And Carrot was the one to react.

Of which Carrot has neither.
I suggest you read whole cake again, you missed the part where Carrot two half of chapters dedicated to her and her action which doesn't happen often if we talk about paneling utilization.

Which is the only highlight Carrot got in the entirety of Wano and it did not develop her character in anyway, unlike Brooke where we learned about how important his afro is to him and how it ties into his dream of seeing Laboon again.
Wrong. It does develop her character as it opens the door for a self questionning for her role as a pirate. Again you look at the lack of Carrot dialogue when you miss the whole point of Perospero's words.

Talking about Brook, remember that until the very end of Thriller bark, Brook was almost nowhere to be seen. In fact Carrot had a lot more development during her time in her story that Brook had during Thriller bark, minus the very end, where Brook's character is really developped. So you can wait for the end of the arc to say that Carrot has something missing.

All evidence, on both the narrative and metanarrative level, points squarely at Yamato. Even Carrot fans have resorted to hoping that Carrot joins with Yamato. It's fitting since that's what she's been reduced to, someone who rides the coattails of other characters in order to be relevant.
Wrong. The narration AND the meta narration points to Carrot being the next strawhat. Carrot fan have not resorted to hoping that Carrot will join with Yamato. You are making assumption on nothing here.

Yes she is. In term of treatment Carrot is beyond all those characters in term of probability. I proved it already in my blog but I intend to make a post about that in the future showing why Carrot's character is unlike anyone you have ever seen already.

With Robin he built up intrigue by connecting her to the greater mysteries of the One Piece world: the Poneglyphs and the Will of D. while also having her save Luffy from the main antagonist despite seemingly being an antagonist herself, having attacked Vivi and Pell. The best Carrot has going for her is that the Minks have ties to the Kozuki clan and a few Minks, namely Nekomamushi, Inuarashi, and Pedro, have stated their interest in the Dawn of the World. Carrot herself has never shown any interest in the Dawn.
The anime proves you that it is implied by the story that she is indeed interested in the Dawn.

You creating criteria does not mean Oda is following it. Many people have helped the Straw Hats before, many have even acted as a lookout/scout since it's one of the easiest ways to make side characters appear useful to the crew. All Oda has to do is have them keep their eyes open.
It's not a "criteria" it's a fact.
Remember, in all the story, only 2 people helped as real crewmates on a real (an tangible) post on the Sunny:

Are you saying that Oda made a point to highlight all the post but, the lookout post is not a real post ?

We had Yosaku report back to Luffy about what happened after the crew split at Baratie, Chimney scouted out Enies Lobby and helped direct everyone towards Robin, the Tonta Corps had an entire spy network to report on what was going on around Dressrosa through their flying beetles and moving so fast no one can see them. Viola is perhaps the best example since all of the Straw Hats who aren't currently working at being the best at their jobs are highly specialized already. Viola's Devil Fruit makes her one of, if not the, best lookouts, especially more so than Carrot since she can see for miles around in literally every direction and can telepathically link to birds to have an even better view. All of that trounces Carrot's supposed specialty in being a lookout.
Nothing here relates to an actual and tangible post on the Sunny. I did not see ANY of those characters of the Sunny on a specific post.

As it so happens, with Boxset 4's release, I've been reading Zou and Whole Cake again. Multiple crew members have shown that they can already handle any lookout/scout needs already, with Brooke specifically saying that he specialized in being a scout. There's also Usopp spotting multiple points of interest, Luffy and Sanji also quickly getting above the treetops in Zou and spotting something in the distance, and now we have Zeus who covers everything Carrot can: Electric attacks, Flying > jumping, transforms anytime > transforming once a month, and he's now permanently tied to the Navigator, the person a lookout would report to. Carrot is redundant multiple times over. Even worse, there are multiple times when she fails in her lookout duties. She failed to notice the crocodile in the Seducing Woods, she failed to notice the genie until it was right on top of her, and she failed to notice the fleet of ships in front of the Sunny until they had already surrounded the ship.
Where is Brook mentionning that he is specialized in being a scout ?

So you are saying that if another strawhat can do the job, therefore it can't be Carrot's ? You are forgetting the fact that a lot of strawhat can do the job of multiple other strawhats.

You are also forgetting the fact that the Job in question becomes only really specific to the character in a very specific situation (minus some (Cook/doctor etc.)

This is a pretty common trick in the Yamato fanbase, trying to undermine the role of lookout.. and when it can't be done, saying that other character can be look-outs to..

The thing is, none of those characters have wonders in there eyes.. and a look out on the Sunny MUST have enjoy their discoveries to the maximum. That is minus the Sulong which is the pinnacle for a Scout.

None of those characters are Carrot.. but you should know this already.. after all none of those character have been meticuloussely drawn to the look out post.. but Carrot was..

Unless..

You are saying that Oda is drawing things .. for no reason ?

Status
Not open for further replies.