Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
With ease? If the moon didn't get covered he would got fuck lol
Mhm, you’d be right IF that didn’t happen…which it did, because the author himself clearly had no intention of highlighting Carrot whatsoever, so thanks for another useless interruption.
Exactly

On the contrary, the fact that both those lines are connected shows that narratively, Oda is not done with Carrot. What Oda did with Carrot is a famous narrative trope : putting words of defeat and discouragment into the mind of a "good" protagonist, words that will come back later to the narrative to prove that the protagonist is meant to be the exact opposite.

Oda is doing that all the times with his villains.

But let's put that to the test:

If Carrot ends up having at least ONE panel in the following chapters focused on her as a protagonist and not just another character part of the mink tribe..

It will prove that Oda is not done with her as a protagonist.

So let's see what the future holds...
So those ***fully resolved plot lines*** somehow augur tremendous future potential for a character who has had nothing but wasted opportunities for years and years? Jesus Christ, dude…I really hope you’re not like this in real life.

Mhm, you’d be right IF that didn’t happen…which it did, because the author himself clearly had no intention of highlighting Carrot whatsoever, so thanks for another useless interruption.

So those ***fully resolved plot lines*** somehow augur tremendous future potential for a character who has had nothing but wasted opportunities for years and years? Jesus Christ, dude…I really hope you’re not like this in real life.
Yes, Oda is slowly but surely building Carrot as a strawhat.

What a piss poor way of writing then.
If that's the best he's going for with Carrot...

Or your just reading way too much into it. Like usual.
Oda is writing Carrot as an innocent girl who witness the arsh truth of life. Being defeated in a war is therefore the perfect way to write Carrot. Good storytelling doesn't always come with victory.

Yeah but he didnt. Oda still off screened the fight and had Perospero won. Point of the whole convo was that Carrot got off screened with no importance. What you said was pretty irrelevant to the point.
Because the victory or the fight was meaningless, what is important is the defeat.

Just because you think there's a reason, doesn't mean there is one.
Yes and that's why we have to read the story to be sure of that.

And what does the story show us:

- The presentation of a character that didn't needed to be here
- A slow buildup of this character
- Mutiple strawhats parameters given to that specific character
- Conflict and allies both emphasing the potential of that character

Conclusion: Carrot has been slowly builded up all the way back to Zou and is still builded up today. The reason for that is either that Carrot will have a major unexpected role in the story in relation with everything she faced up until now OR Carrot will be the next strawhat.

Because the victory or the fight was meaningless, what is important is the defeat.
What's important is that Carrot's character did not develop in any way and she only interacted with non-Straw Hats for her most important fight and what was supposedly her main motivating factor. Losing didn't matter, just as it didn't matter that Brooke lost to Ryuma. The difference though is that Brooke was backed up by Zoro and Franky and it developed his relationship with other Straw Hats, and we learned more about his character during his fight.

Carrot, however, has not received anywhere close to the same development. The only thing she got was remembering Pedro's words, and nothing else. It's troubling that, for someone you believe is meant to be the next crew member, there was no further introspection from her, even something basic as "Sorry I failed Pedro" or "I'll keep going for your sake Pedro." Her characterization has only become more shallow, where characters that are supposed to be important become deeper. This even continues with Perospero's defeat, where there's nothing from Carrot besides cheering for Nekomamushi when there should've been some statement on either her current state or Pedro being avenged.

What's important is that Carrot's character did not develop in any way and she only interacted with non-Straw Hats for her most important fight and what was supposedly her main motivating factor. Losing didn't matter, just as it didn't matter that Brooke lost to Ryuma. The difference though is that Brooke was backed up by Zoro and Franky and it developed his relationship with other Straw Hats, and we learned more about his character during his fight.

Carrot, however, has not received anywhere close to the same development. The only thing she got was remembering Pedro's words, and nothing else. It's troubling that, for someone you believe is meant to be the next crew member, there was no further introspection from her, even something basic as "Sorry I failed Pedro" or "I'll keep going for your sake Pedro." Her characterization has only become more shallow, where characters that are supposed to be important become deeper. This even continues with Perospero's defeat, where there's nothing from Carrot besides cheering for Nekomamushi when there should've been some statement on either her current state or Pedro being avenged.
The defeat was just the third part of a five part development process:

1: The illusion of emancipation > Carrot is carefree and thinks she owns the world
2 : The reality of death > Pedro dies and Carrot vision of life is shattered
3: The desillusion of defeat > Carrot comes to take revenge but lose
4: The acceptation of life > Carrot accepts the danger of the seas
5: The action toward Freedom > Carrot acts toward adventure sealing her character development

Oda is known to give a developments through subbtle actions lately. Right now, we are between stage 3 and 4, Carrot illusion of victory in revenge have been shattered, now she must accept defeat and surely will.

Stage 4 might be shown by a few things : A inner dialogue / a will to return on the Sunny (showing that she is not afraid of losing again) / A dialogue with another character etc..

Stage 5 will be shown by either Carrot defeating another ennemy down the line or her sneaking back on the Sunny again.

Last edited:

Yeah but he didnt. Oda still off screened the fight and had Perospero won. Point of the whole convo was that Carrot got off screened with no importance. What you said was pretty irrelevant to the point.
Don't care bout the importance of it lol just saying don't act like they got low diff in sulong

The defeat was just the third part of a five part development process:

1: The illusion of emancipation > Carrot is carefree and thinks she owns the world
2 : The reality of death > Pedro dies and Carrot vision of life is shattered
3: The desillusion of defeat > Carrot comes to take revenge but lose
4: The acceptation of life > Carrot accepts the danger of the seas
5: The action toward Freedom > Carrot acts toward adventure sealing her character development

Oda is known to give a developments through subbtle actions lately. Right now, we are between stage 3 and 4, Carrot illusion of victory in revenge have been shattered, now she must accept defeat and surely will.

Stage 4 might be shown by a few things : A inner dialogue / a will to return on the Sunny (showing that she is not afraid of losing again) / A dialogue with another character etc..

Stage 5 will be shown by either Carrot defeating another ennemy down the line or her sneaking back on the Sunny again.
I'm guessing you made up this development process since this doesn't even apply to most of the Straw Hats.

Taking it at face value, Carrot has not shown she cares about losing to Perospero, so there's nothing to "accept." Neko beat him for her and she's all smiles and sunshine again. There was no struggle on her part in how the defeat affected her.

I'm guessing you made up this development process since this doesn't even apply to most of the Straw Hats.

Taking it at face value, Carrot has not shown she cares about losing to Perospero, so there's nothing to "accept." Neko beat him for her and she's all smiles and sunshine again. There was no struggle on her part in how the defeat affected her.
Of course it doesn't apply to all the strawhat, it's the development of Carrot, for others strawhat it had a different scale and a different nature.

The fact that we can say that Carrot will have to "accept" the harsh truth of life is through Perospero's word. The development of Carrot comes from him. By his words Oda is telling us that Carrot can't sail the seas if she thinks that this will be a pic nic. Then Perospero (a bad guy) close in with a trope by implying that she is not meant to be a pirate anyway and she should just go back where she comes from.

Carrot therefore has to prove to perospero that he is wrong. That will come with the acceptation that life.. CAN be hard and losing friend is part of the process.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Don't care bout the importance of it lol just saying don't act like they got low diff in sulong
The end result is that Carrot lost, so who gives a fuck what diff it was? Y’all wanna split hairs because it’s literally all that’s left here, I will never understand how this is easier than just admitting you whiffed on the rabbit joining the crew kingufy

The end result is that Carrot lost, so who gives a fuck what diff it was? Y’all wanna split hairs because it’s literally all that’s left here, I will never understand how this is easier than just admitting you whiffed on the rabbit joining the crew kingufy
Whiffed? Lol Arc not over yet she still can join even if she sneak on the ship i don't care how she does

:gokulaugh:

@CarrotForNakama you really will go down with this ship.

I hope you've got some great therapy booked once it's official Carrot won't join the Strawhats because you're going to need it and your therapist will need a therapist listening to your essays on why Larrot should be a crew member.

Daily reminder peeps we're getting closer to Yamato being nakama and official straw hat member.

:finally:

Status
Not open for further replies.