Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
You can't have two people with the same face (with no explained reason other than the author's laziness) on the same crew.
Hahahaha, this post was SO dumb and pointless, the mods put it in *my* thread because it was too weak to stand by itself. If that doesn’t tell you everything you need to know about the futility of the “SAME FACE DURRR” argument, I don’t know what will.
Post automatically merged:

Have stated my view big NO

She basically asked to join SH because Oden did it earlier after reading his log book . Seriously ?

Is this the character you want ? It would just sink all the development of other shp who took time in almost an arc dedicated to them .

Yamato basically has no development that can feel she belongs to strawhat , it s more like forced development to me just because hurr durr we want strong ladies .

Remember when Jinbei sacrificed his time for straw hats and donates his blood to save luffy . There i understood he deserved the spot thats the kind of example i want or i just dont see anypoint having her in crew .
“No development?” She’s been around for TWO chapters, and in that time, here’s what we’ve learned:
She can reasonably imitate her father’s attacks
She’s idolized Oden after witnessing his execution
She kept his log book a secret from Daddy and his pal Orochi
She decided to follow in Oden’s footsteps and see the world
She’s been trapped on Onigashima for 20 years
She also wants Wano’s borders open
She craves the freedom of the sea and doesn’t want to be controlled by Kaido any longer
She met Ace and found him to be mighty impressive
She learned about Luffy from him and ACTIVELY WANTS TO TRAVEL WITH THE STRAW HATS
All this in TWO CHAPTERS, but you wanna say she hasn’t already been fleshed out...

Seriously, y’all are having a tough time coming up with good reasons why she SHOULDN’T join...she’s a female, her face is similar to Nami, she wouldn’t have a set role in the crew, blah-blah-fuckin’-blah. You think after 23 years, Oda won’t add a new character with a similar facial structure to a longtime protagonist? You do the same thing for more than two decades, let’s see if you start cutting small corners to make your life easier without fully sacrificing the quality of your work. As far as not wanting another girl in the crew, well, thanks for tacitly admitting you’re a virgin misogynist!! :lusalty:

Last edited:
H

Haoshoku

By Kfunk
There's Nami face, and then there's Nami's face.
I think the images for Nami here were conveniently cherry picked. Nami’s eyes in the manga tend to usually be far darker (dark brown/black in the digitally colored version). She only has lighter eyes when drawn to be in a state of shock or surprise. Yamato on the other hand has so far been consistently drawn with lighter eyes up close. Add to that the eyelashes, the horns , the hair, the height and the appearance doesn’t really seem to be an issue imo when they actually are drawn side by side. Oda could have done a better job in terms of facial structure, because that is where the similarity lies with Nami. But there is enough of a difference already even without the color scheme for Yamato.

I think the images for Nami here were conveniently cherry picked. Nami’s eyes in the manga tend to usually be far darker (dark brown/black in the digitally colored version). She only has lighter eyes when drawn to be in a state of shock or surprise. Yamato on the other hand has so far been consistently drawn with lighter eyes up close. Add to that the eyelashes, the horns , the hair, the height and the appearance doesn’t really seem to be an issue imo when they actually are drawn side by side. Oda could have done a better job in terms of facial structure, because that is where the similarity lies with Nami. But there is enough of a difference already even without the color scheme for Yamato.
Yes. That is basically it. Thanks for the feedback.
I've been trying to get that acrossed but I've had no luck. Yamato should be given a chance to prove what she has and could bring... her storyline can go plenty different directions.

The pics are of the two making similar expressions to show the similarities. Sure if you look at the two side by side you can point out the differences. The point is that no two crew mates look anything alike to the point that there's even the smallest of chances that you could confuse them.

There's not an instance in which you'd need to think twice about who's who in a panel because they all have unique designs. Yamato's design looks like it was built using Nami's as a template and then small tweaks were made here and there. You can't say that for any of the others.

There's a reason why so many are bringing up how damn similar Yamato looks to Nami. Because it's extremely apparent. And this is coming from the super hardcore OP fanbase. Imagine what the casual reader would think. Someone who hasn't memorised the depth of Nami's eyebrow, the arrangement of her eyelashes and whatever other trivial differences there are. The overall appearance of her character is simply "oni Nami" instead of looking like her own design. Ironic, lol.

In panels you're not always gonna have the full body. Often it can just be a face shot. Sometimes with a speech bubble covering the top of the head as seen in the middle pic of Nami in the compilation. In which case Yamato's horns wouldn't even be visible. And at the same time, in a closeup, you wouldn't be able to gauge height easily either. Even her two toned hair won't be visible all the time, often just leaving the part that looks identical to Nami's.

If Yamato were to join the crew she'd most likely wear casual clothing, without a set outfit just like all the female travellers have done that have been on the ship. In which case it would make them even more alike.

From a quick glance can you confuse any straw hat with another? No.

Can you say the same for Yamato? No.

Last edited:
I think there are quite a few noticeable differences between them

Different eyes, more prominent eyebrows, horns, more haughty/arrogant look, I'm willing to bet her hair colour won't be ginger either.

Oda in general draws his female characters with quite a similar face, even carrot to some degree looks like nami

Yep! You have to also consider the fact that Yamato barely has had panel presence to even show her differences well. I can provide panels where Hancock, Komurasaki (not Hiyori), Violet and Tashigi all look like Robin, while simultaneously looking nothing like her in key panel scenes.

You can do the exact same thing for Shirahoshi, Vivi, Pudding, Rebecca and Nami.

Yamato will have instances where she will look nothing like Nami. Atm its kind of an unfair judgment. Her introduction panel already has her looking pretty different. Its just that Oda draws women similarly when they have the generic angry face. Wait for other emotions and more examples of her face.

I think she will lead the remaining of Beast Pirates ... better story arc than joining SHP
Except there's clear implication she wants nothing to do with her father's crew or plans

Being constantly beaten as a child is far worse than having your mother die. Everyone has their mother die at some point. Yamato at least has Ussop beat for tragic backstory and we haven't even seen her flashback.

As it was said before, now that she has asked to join the crew, you have to try harder to argue against her than for her.

Just throwing this out there, nearly every strawhat (Luffy, Zoro, Nami, Sanji, Usopp, Chopper, Robin, Franky) has had a major tragedy between the ages of 7-12. The only exceptions are Brook and Jinbe (to which we really don't know all of Jinbe's history), but Yamato already has mentioned that she has been imprisoned since she was 8 years old. We have no idea who her mother is (if its not BM), and consequently she may have lost her at a young age while also being beaten by Kaido.

There certainly is no "pattern" or "trend" to this (since 2 strawhats don't have that kind of tragedy), but it looks like Yamato is heading in that direction

New kingdom with a tyrannical authority and so a new princess.

We had Vivi for Alabasta
Shirahoshi for FMI
Viola and Rebecca for Dressrosa
Pudding for WCI
Hiyori for Wano

And now, Yamato as the princess of Onigashima. Complete with "Nami face" to boot.

By Kfunk
There's Nami face, and then there's Nami's face.

This is probably the clearest indication that it's very unlikely she'll be joining the crew for obvious reasons. Makes no sense to design two main characters that would frequently be interacting around one another to look so similar.

Not only that, but Yamato's entire character is centred around ignorance. Yamato does everything she does because she wants to be Oden, believing there to be no one left to inherit his will. She is just about to find out that Momo, the son of the actual Kozuki Oden is still alive and that his scabbards are there too, inheriting Oden's will and planning to open up the country. It would be reasonable to expect a change in her character since the reason she "became" Oden is because she believed there to be literally no one else who could. But it turns out that there are tons and tons of others that are in the exact same situation as her.

The blatant next nakama teasing however, in addition to the postponed banquet only makes it all the more likely that we truly are getting another nakama by the end of this arc.

And out of all of the candidates Yamato's the only one in which the groundwork simply hasn't been laid for her to join at all. Regardless of what happens, I won't see her as anything more than a red herring at best.
Bruh, shes pretty much the ONLY "candidate" that has the groundwork laid out for her, lol

- Has been with Luffy more than any other non-strawhat this arc (this is a key ingredient even Carrot is missing)

- Has already expressed a hint of a tragic flashback

- Is actually combat ready and competent, moreso than pretty much any other non-villain female in the series.

- She has already asked to get in Luffys ship.

All shown in 3 chapters. You all just need to get over the "nami-face" rule, like it means anything or has any bearing to her joining the crew. Technically, there are instances where Sanji and Zoro look fucking identical when angry.

There IS clear evidence she is joining, a lot of you just refuse to accept it. Contention for Carrot joining has good points on both sides. The only argument against Yamato is "nami face" and its a pretty shit argument when she's only had a few actual panels of her face so far.

Last edited:
I’ve just noticed Yamato has two-tone hair (yeah, I’m a little slow). It‘s another detail that will help distinguish her from Nami. The eye color will probably be different too.

Oda drew her face for the first time only 2 chapters ago, he still has plenty of time to refine her design and make her look more unique. Let him get used to drawing her.

I’ve just noticed Yamato has two-tone hair (yeah, I’m a little slow). It‘s another detail that will help distinguish her from Nami. The eye color will probably be different too.

Oda drew her face for the first time only 2 chapters ago, he still has plenty of time to refine her design and make her look more unique. Let him get used to drawing her.
Yes another thing to say right then. She will be distinguished after some time.

H

Haoshoku

The pics are of the two making similar expressions to show the similarities
Again I disagree with this a bit Dizzy.

Nami is showcasing an expression of shock/surprise in one picture, hence the lighter eyes (this is generally the case for other characters as well) and Yamato’s lighter eyes are drawn as the norm, the default color for her. She wasn’t showcasing an expression of shock or surprise in any of these pictures. I mean a pretimeskip pic had to be pulled out to point out the similarity there. The only valid comparison in terms of expression is the last pic.
The point is that no two crew mates look anything alike to the point that there's even the smallest of chances that you could confuse them.
Well there’s been an instance of a fan confusing Zoro and Sanji in an SBS, I cannot find it atm but similarities like that can be pointed even amongst long time crew members like Zoro and Sanji.

I guess everything else you said is fair enough for now lol. I can see how the inherent similarity in facial structure is an issue if it is leaved as is in the uncolored scan. Unless Oda gives her a permanent facial scar like others have suggested if she’s joining the crew by the end of the arc.

I feel like the anime will make sure to depict her quite different from Nami

Toei will probably do a good job for this aspect

They have to after all :)

i hope not the sh are already having screen time issues just look at chopper robin franky they don’t have moments brook only ever shined in wci franky was good in dressrosa and punk hazard but in wano not really

chopper and robin are basically abandoned at this point if another member joins we will have even less screen time

Yamato is simply way too similar to Nami for me to believe she's anything but a bait, details like eyebrows aren't going to cut. And yes you can find panels where Nami and Yamato look quite different but Oda doesn't always draw Nami the exact same way every time either so weird argument. Overall it feels Oda used a Nami template for Yamato though and tweaked it.

Yamato's face only got a panel count of like 10 yet people already find them to similar. That wouldn't happen if her design was distinct enough. Just look at the middle. Imagine with same expression
I refuse to believe Oda would be so lazy when it comes to designing a crewmember. Just look at how distinct from each other grandline crewmembers were. Look at Chopper. At Franky At Brook. At Jinbe. Even Robin looked way different than Nami when she got introduced despite being also a pretty girl.

Again I disagree with this a bit Dizzy.

Nami is showcasing an expression of shock/surprise in one picture, hence the lighter eyes (this is generally the case for other characters as well) and Yamato’s lighter eyes are drawn as the norm, the default color for her. She wasn’t showcasing an expression of shock or surprise in any of these pictures. I mean a pretimeskip pic had to be pulled out to point out the similarity there. The only valid comparison in terms of expression is the last pic.
Yeah fair point, they're making different expressions. Not the most equal of comparisons. But again, that doesn't change the fact that they can still look very similar, to the point that confusion could be a legit possibility. Unlike with any other pair in the crew.
Well there’s been an instance of a fan confusing Zoro and Sanji in an SBS, I cannot find it atm but similarities like that can be pointed even amongst long time crew members like Zoro and Sanji.
I found what you're referring to:

Wasn't the fan, but the fan's family who they implied to be rather special, lmao.

If we're being totally serious though we both know this is not an issue. Show me any One Piece fan in the community that genuinely struggles to tell the difference between Zoro and Sanji in even the slightest manner.

That's in no way comparable to Oda's well known issue with drawing women and half the fandom openly calling Yamato's design out as a reskinned Nami. Including people who really want her to join but are willing to admit the obvious.
I guess everything else you said is fair enough for now lol. I can see how the inherent similarity in facial structure is an issue if it is leaved as is in the uncolored scan. Unless Oda gives her a permanent facial scar like others have suggested if she’s joining the crew by the end of the arc.
That's the thing though. I often say things like Carrot's not ready to join atm and that she'll get xyz in the future. But I'd like to think that I provide reasonable answers as to why these things could happen and how I'm not just wishing that they would.

What's there to suggest Yamato will be given a permanent facial scar? Heck, Yamato's apparently been abused by Kaido since she was 8. That would've been a perfect source of a facial scar differentiating her that could be explored in a flashback perhaps. Why think that she'll get a scar now other than wishing for it to happen so that she can be more distinct from Nami so that she can join the crew?

Status
Not open for further replies.