Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
That was the same argument used against jinbe when people said helmsman was a pointless position.
The SHP literally got everywhere they’ve gone without one, so yeah, it’s a pointless position. This just supports my long-running argument that Luffy doesn’t give two shits if someone can ably perform a job on board, it’s all about the connections he forges with people on a personal level. Combatant, sniper, archaeologist, musician...a pirate crew theoretically doesn’t NEED any of these spots to be filled for a successful voyage. Those folks followed Luffy and were accepted by him for reasons wholly outside of their professional capabilities, which only become retroactively important once they’ve joined his crew.

Neither Kuma nor Kin (both DF name fits the theory) check as many boxes as carrot and yamato. Between the two, yamato can fit 29 theory more, which is beneficial to her chance in joining. It's fine if you don't acknowledge it, since it's just a theory, but the bits/hints are there.
Yeah, but I think it only "raised" her chances by connecting it to another unconfirmed theory... I mean, it doesn't have to do with the story... But anyway, I support Yamato as the next SH and her being a Byakko DF user...

If people will say "the SHs already has Zoan aboard", then it is worth noting that the other Zoan in the crew is a non-human with a Human DF... Just there to have a talking animal/humanoid animal in the crew...

Correct. She's just around Jinbe, probably a bit more if she goes hybrid. Since Jinbe is "allowed" / "fine" in joining, Yamato getting in would be alright.
This... I think even land Berserk Jinbe is slightly better than Awakened DF Yamato... But yeah, even Roger, despite having a powerful crew, recruited Oden before the last leg of their journey... And we don't even know how powerful BBP's 10th Titanic Captain to begin with...

That was the same argument used against jinbe when people said helmsman was a pointless position.
The difference between Jinbe in the helmsman post and Carrot in the lookout post is the level of expertise... It has been shown since ID arc how unique Jinbe is amongst other helmsmen judging by how other fugitives noted... While Carrot, her lookout skills was never praised nor noted and her most memorable lookout moment was a lowlight of failing to notice Daifuku's genie approaching Sunny only to be saved by Sanji instead of showing some skills to defend the ship as a "compensation"...

The SHP literally got everywhere they’ve gone without one, so yeah, it’s a pointless position. This just supports my long-running argument that Luffy doesn’t give two shits if someone can ably perform a job on board, it’s all about the connections he forges with people on a personal level. Combatant, sniper, archaeologist, musician...a pirate crew theoretically doesn’t NEED any of these spots to be filled for a successful voyage. Those folks followed Luffy and were accepted by him for reasons wholly outside of their professional capabilities, which only become retroactively important once they’ve joined his crew.
This... To date, only Sanji and Franky were recruited by Luffy because of their skills...

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
This... To date, only Sanji and Franky were recruited by Luffy because of their skills...
Exactly; Nami and Chopper were both noteworthy for their respective skills before joining, and Luffy wanted to recruit Zoro for his overall reputation rather than a specific set of abilities that would serve a pirate crew, but the long held notion among this fandom that there’s a rigid checklist for a potential nakama’s recruitment is just bullshit. Several of them had to be coerced to leave with the Straw Hats by their hometown friends; Robin straight up forced Luffy to accept her; Brook accepted even though (at the time) he would have disintegrated if he’d left the Florian Triangle; Jinbe’s courtship was longer and more complex than anyone before him; at least two of them defected before officially joining, and two others deserted the crew before coming back. There may be some general similarities in how things have played out each time, but the process is not uniform, and it really never has been.

Last edited:
If you’re argueing that positions dont matter then thats a pretty bad arguement.
the crew also got everywhere without franky. They literally were about to just buy another ship and leave franky.
brook, though a musician isnt vital for any pirate crew. It was something luffy wanted since the begining of the story.
even though luffy doesnt care robins position is probably the MOST vital for his dream.
everyone on the crew has a position whether they are kess or more important than others. Oda has made this a point to show SPECIFICALLY with jinbes role.
Oda highlighted jinbes role as the helmsman MULTIPLE times.
Post automatically merged:

Yeah, but I think it only "raised" her chances by connecting it to another unconfirmed theory... I mean, it doesn't have to do with the story... But anyway, I support Yamato as the next SH and her being a Byakko DF user...

If people will say "the SHs already has Zoan aboard", then it is worth noting that the other Zoan in the crew is a non-human with a Human DF... Just there to have a talking animal/humanoid animal in the crew...

This... I think even land Berserk Jinbe is slightly better than Awakened DF Yamato... But yeah, even Roger, despite having a powerful crew, recruited Oden before the last leg of their journey... And we don't even know how powerful BBP's 10th Titanic Captain to begin with...

The difference between Jinbe in the helmsman post and Carrot in the lookout post is the level of expertise... It has been shown since ID arc how unique Jinbe is amongst other helmsmen judging by how other fugitives noted... While Carrot, her lookout skills was never praised nor noted and her most memorable lookout moment was a lowlight of failing to notice Daifuku's genie approaching Sunny only to be saved by Sanji instead of showing some skills to defend the ship as a "compensation"...

this is just false
Carrot was seen using abilities suited for a lookout in her first introduction. Jumping super high to see a disturbance in the whale forrest.

in every crew member the position is always highlighted. Even if luffy ended up liking the crew member in question for other reasons(brook chopper) ultimately luffy still wanted that postion to be filled.

Last edited:

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
If you’re argueing that positions dont matter then thats a pretty bad arguement.
the crew also got everywhere without franky. They literally were about to just buy another ship and leave franky.
brook, though a musician isnt vital for any pirate crew. It was something luffy wanted since the begining of the story.
even though luffy doesnt care robins position is probably the MOST vital for his dream.
everyone on the crew has a position whether they are kess or more important than others. Oda has made this a point to show SPECIFICALLY with jinbes role.
Oda highlighted jinbes role as the helmsman MULTIPLE times.
It’s a bad argument when it disproves yours, huh?? Wonder why you feel that way...

Anyway, even in your defense, you acknowledge that Brook’s job isn’t vital and state that Luffy doesn’t care about Robin’s position, so if you’re agreeing with my bad argument, I feel like there’s no reason to take this seriously. Jinbe’s helming only mattered in the escape from Impel Down and getting out of WCI; after both instances, he did not steer those present to their next destination so much as get them out of danger. Very important thing to do, and he’s clearly an expert at his craft, but none of that has anything to do with why Luffy wanted him to join the crew.

It’s a bad argument when it disprove yours, huh?? Wonder why you feel that way...

Anyway, even in your defense, you acknowledge that Brook’s job isn’t vital and state that Luffy doesn’t care about Robin’s position, so if you’re agreeing with my bad argument, I feel like there’s no reason to take this seriously. Jinbe’s helming only mattered in the escape from Impel Down/sailing to Marineford and getting out of WCI; after both instances, he did not steer those present to their next destination so much as get them out of danger. Very important thing to do, and he’s clearly an expert at his craft, but none of that has anything to do with why Luffy wanted him to join the crew.
you haven't disproven anything.
read what i said...
it doesnt matter what is ”vital” or not, it matters what luffy wanted Or oda himself wanted. He wanted a musician in the crew since the begining of the series.
luffy wants to find the one piece therefore luffy needs robins position.

so yes your arguement is very bad.
If you think jinbes position didnt matter so much answer why did oda highlight it?
you also do realise that jinbe was conceptualized with the sole role as the crews helmsman Before the series started.
crew position matters..not the MOST important thing but you cant argue with the literal writer of the series.

so yes if carrot joins her role will matter. Same with yamato

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
you haven't disproven anything.
read what i said...
it doesnt matter what is ”vital” or not, it matters what luffy wanted Or oda himself wanted. He wanted a musician in the crew since the begining of the series.
luffy wants to find the one piece therefore luffy needs robins position.

so yes your arguement is very bad.
If you think jinbes position didnt matter so much answer why did oda highlight it?
you also do realise that jinbe was conceptualized with the sole role as the crews helmsman Before the series started.
crew position matters..not the MOST important thing but you cant argue with the literal writer of the series.
I’m not arguing with the author, I’m arguing with some inflexible schmuck who thinks concept art from almost 30 years ago has any bearing on a discussion about how the main character recruits people to his cause. You are entirely missing the point that positions simply don’t matter as much to either Luffy OR Oda as they seem to matter to you and a small but very vocal contingency of the fandom. These jobs do carry plenty of importance, which is so obvious that I didn’t think it needed to be said but apparently forms the entire basis of your defense, but what position a crew mate can fill, while on the list of necessary qualifications, is much less crucial to whether or not they join the crew than you seem to believe. You’re hanging onto this flimsy justification about Oda highlighting everyone’s abilities; he does that because the characters themselves are most important, not the jobs they do. Would we care any less about Usopp if he wasn’t a great sniper? Does it really enhance your enjoyment of the series to see Franky repair the Sunny? Or is it enough to know that these people can do their jobs when they aren’t sailing across the world and smashing oppressive dictatorships left and right?

I’m not arguing with the author, I’m arguing with some inflexible schmuck who thinks concept art from almost 30 years ago has any bearing on a discussion about how the main character recruits people to his cause. You are entirely missing the point that positions simply don’t matter as much to either Luffy OR Oda as they seem to matter to you and a small but very vocal contingency of the fandom. These jobs do carry plenty of importance, which is so obvious that I didn’t think it needed to be said but apparently forms the entire basis of your defense, but what position a crew mate can fill, while on the list of necessary qualifications, is much less crucial to whether or not they join the crew than you seem to believe. You’re hanging onto this flimsy justification about Oda highlighting everyone’s abilities; he does that because the characters themselves are most important, not the jobs they do. Would we care any less about Usopp if he wasn’t a great sniper? Does it really enhance your enjoyment of the series to see Franky repair the Sunny? Or is it enough to know that these people can do their jobs when they aren’t sailing across the world and smashing oppressive dictatorships left and right?
What are you even talking about now?
when did i ever say that the crew position matters MORE than the character.
stop putting words in my mouth because your losing the argument.

You ARE argueing with the author. This arguement isnt about how luffy solely recruits members we are discussing whether crew positions matter IN GENERAL and they do.
based on the concept art...we KNOW Oda designs crewmates with a role on the crew front and center. And having a role is a key indicator of whether a character could possibly be a strawhat.
you’re only denying the concept art on how oda designs crewmates because it doesnt fit your agenda.
jinbe showing his skills as a helmsman in marineford showed that he was more likely to join the crew than most.
same with carrot and being a lookout.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
What are you even talking about now?
when did i ever say that the crew position matters MORE than the character.
stop putting words in my mouth because your losing the argument.

You ARE argueing with the author. This arguement isnt about how luffy solely recruits members we are discussing whether crew positions matter IN GENERAL and they do.
based on the concept art...we KNOW Oda designs crewmates with a role on the crew front and center. And having a role is a key indicator of whether a character could possibly be a strawhat.
you’re only denying the concept art on how oda designs crewmates because it doesnt fit your agenda.
jinbe showing his skills as a helmsman in marineford showed that he was more likely to join the crew than most.
same with carrot and being a lookout.
Your entire argument is predicated on the belief that positions matter the most; you don’t have to put it into words, anyone reading your posts can tell that’s what you’re saying. Again, you’re acting like the drawing Oda did several decades ago is still his guiding light...he has changed A LOT of how he writes this story, why is it so hard to accept that maybe he doesn’t do everything exactly how he did it in 1997?? All of this precludes the possibility that he DOES have a position in mind for Yamato or Carrot, but he hasn’t revealed anything that would support their inclusion on that basis alone because it doesn’t matter until they join. Clearly, people still wanna see either one join the crew even though neither has given any indication of what role they would fill. It’s not that this shit doesn’t fit my agenda, it’s that it very obviously doesn’t matter to anyone involved in the production of this series.

Although I'm done with this topic.

Yamato is more possible than Carrot, to say the least.
@Jew D. Boy
To hear you of all people say this is a top 1 anime twist :noo::smart:

Your entire argument is predicated on the belief that positions matter the most; you don’t have to put it into words, anyone reading your posts can tell that’s what you’re saying. Again, you’re acting like the drawing Oda did several decades ago is still his guiding light...he has changed A LOT of how he writes this story, why is it so hard to accept that maybe he doesn’t do everything exactly how he did it in 1997?? All of this precludes the possibility that he DOES have a position in mind for Yamato or Carrot, but he hasn’t revealed anything that would support their inclusion on that basis alone because it doesn’t matter until they join. Clearly, people still wanna see either one join the crew even though neither has given any indication of what role they would fill.
Post automatically merged:
reading comprehention is certainly not your forte because all ive ever said was that that if a person has a role to fill that makes him/her more LIKELY to join. It makes carrot more likely and it made jinbe more likely.

also if you wanna say that concept art means nothing anymore and oda CHANGED the way he designs characters to join the crew, then youre gonna have to come with some ACTUAL EVIDENCE and not desperate headcannon That fits your agenda.
all we know is that jinbe was conceptuallized as the helmsman in 1997 and is currently the helmsman of the strawhats. Oda went out of his way to even highlight this position multiple times. Which is the exact same as the concept in 1997... so yeah your point is dumb like ive stated.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
reading comprehention is certainly not your forte because all ive ever said was that that if a person has a role to fill that makes him/her more LIKELY to join. It makes carrot more likely and it made jinbe more likely.

also if you wanna say that concept art means nothing anymore and oda CHANGED the way he designs characters to join the crew, then youre gonna have to come with some ACTUAL EVIDENCE and not desperate headcannon That fits your agenda.
all we know is that jinbe was conceptuallized as the helmsman in 1997 and is currently the helmsman of the strawhats. Oda went out of his way to even highlight this position multiple times. Which is the exact same as the concept in 1997... so yeah your point is dumb like ive stated.
Hahaha, all right, dude...I’m a published writer IRL, but since you don’t know that or anything else about me, I’m gonna let that reading comprehension crack slide. When you’re pointing to Carrot seeing some ships before everyone else as proof positive that she’s the most qualified lookout in the world, you’re also scraping the bottom of the barrel, so it’s hard to take your whiny mincing seriously. Oda’s said in several interviews how his original plans change almost every other chapter and his story keeps going in different directions he didn’t anticipate, so take those superior cognitive abilities of yours to Google and find all the evidence you require, but you not accepting a fact doesn’t make it less true.

Hahaha, all right, dude...I’m a published writer IRL, but since you don’t know that or anything else about me, I’m gonna let that reading comprehension crack slide. When you’re pointing to Carrot seeing some ships before everyone else as proof positive that she’s the most qualified lookout in the world, you’re also scraping the bottom of the barrel, so it’s hard to take your whiny mincing seriously. Oda’s said in several interviews how his original plans change almost every other chapter and his story keeps going in different directions he didn’t anticipate, so take those superior cognitive abilities of yours to Google and find all the evidence you require, but you not accepting a fact doesn’t make it less true.
Odas plans for characters changing and his actual design process for crewmates changing are two completely different things.
You have to prove the later(which you can’t).

im not just talking about seeing ships...in her first introduction she showed her speciallty in jumping higher than anyone there and was able to see over the entirety of zou.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
Odas plans for characters changing and his actual design process for crewmates changing are two completely different things.
You have to prove the later(which you can’t).

im not just talking about seeing ships...in her first introduction she showed her speciallty in jumping higher than anyone there and was able to see over the entirety of zou.
And you can’t prove that he HASN’T changed his design process...how many of the Straw Hats in your favorite drawing look anything like they do in the canon?? This knife you wanna stab me with cuts both ways, buddy. All of this is tangential to the fact that how a character looks OR what they’re meant to do on the ship don’t matter to the main protagonist, and they aren’t as important to the author as you seem to think. I have no idea how you can read One Piece and genuinely think Oda’s as strict and unyielding with what happens in his story as you insist he must be.

Also, Carrot’s qualifications are good eyes and jumping?? Shit, why don’t we just crown her Pirate King now?? We already have Usopp and Nami for the former, and Sanji could walk on air even before his Raid Suit. Kinda makes Carrot sound even less impressive than ever, if you ask me.

And you can’t prove that he HASN’T changed his design process...how many of the Straw Hats in your favorite drawing look anything like they do in the canon?? This knife you wanna stab me with cuts both ways, buddy. All of this is tangential to the fact that how a character looks OR what they’re meant to do on the ship don’t matter to the main protagonist, and they aren’t as important to the author as you seem to think. I have no idea how you can read One Piece and genuinely think Oda’s as strict and unyielding with what happens in his story as you insist he must be.

Also, Carrot’s qualifications are good eyes and jumping?? Shit, why don’t we just crown her Pirate King now?? We already have Usopp and Nami for the former, and Sanji could walk on air even before his Raid Suit. Kinda makes Carrot sound even less impressive than ever, if you ask me.
you just made no sense whatsoever. :gokulaugh:
jinbe still has the title of helmsman To this day
and every single strawhat has a position. This is proof his design process has not changed.

you have to prove that any strawhat can be inducted in without oda giving them a position. which is impossible because ALL of them have a position just like the concept art.

i don’t care what the character looks like wtf are you even talking about. Oda designs each character for the crew with a role in mind before they join. As proven in the concept art.
So show me a crewmate without a position or shutup.

yes even though others in the crew can do it... carrot is best at it.
just like how everyone steered before and now jinbe does it now because hes just way better than anyone else.
If jinbe joined without the helmsman title in his intro then youd have a point but he didnt and you have no point.

Jew D. Boy

I Can Go Lower
you just made no sense whatsoever. :gokulaugh:
jinbe still has the title of helmsman To this day
and every single strawhat has a position. This is proof his design process has not changed.

you have to prove that any strawhat can be inducted in without oda giving them a position. which is impossible because ALL of them have a position just like the concept art.

i don’t care what the character looks like wtf are you even talking about. Oda designs each character for the crew with a role in mind before they join. As proven in the concept art.
So show me a crewmate without a position or shutup.

yes even though others in the crew can do it... carrot is best at it.
just like how everyone steered before and now jinbe does it now because hes just way better than anyone else.
If jinbe joined without the helmsman title in his intro then youd have a point but he didnt and you have no point.
Yeah, because something like a character joining the crew without a defined position has never happened before, that means it never will. Jesus, we’re getting nowhere here...just keep holding on as tightly as possible to these notions like they’re gospel, I’m sure you’ll eventually be proven right by an author that doesn’t give a flying fuck about you, me, or anyone else on the forum :kayneshrug:

Yeah, because something like a character joining the crew without a defined position has never happened before, that means it never will. Jesus, we’re getting nowhere here...just keep holding on as tightly as possible to these notions like they’re gospel, I’m sure you’ll eventually be proven right by an author that doesn’t give a flying fuck about you, me, or anyone else on the forum :kayneshrug:
WE? :gokulaugh:
no YOU are getting nowhere.
Ive given evidence such as the concept art oda did which still holds to this day meanwhile you have given nothing at all.

:kayneshrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.