Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just pasting the original for reference, and it would be literally translated as "I, together with Luffy, will go to the sea". It could have been "with the Strawhats" if the plan was to become a crew mate.

Yamato could have a specific reason for believing Luffy will give them a ride, and see Luffy as a ticket out of Wano.
She said it's because he's Ace's brother and Oden foretold that powerful leaders in the new gen will be the ones to take down Kaido. She wanted to ride with Ace but couldn't and so resorted to his younger brother as the next best thing.
The easiest possibility that comes to mind is that Kaido hid a Road Poneglyph somewhere outside Wano (Law and Robin haven't found them in the Flower Capital or Onigashima), and Yamato could lead Luffy there. Acting as a guide also fits with myths of Japanese wolves, see this.
Yuderon's suggestion makes sense, but I think the guiding aspect of the myth could actually refer to Yamao helping to guide Momo in becoming who he's meant to be.
Momo's still been unsure of what he needs to do or how he should act but Yamao's been there to act as an example for him. She also shared Oden's journal that led Momo to recognise his true purpose and why he "absolutely can't afford to die".

She said it's because he's Ace's brother and Oden foretold that powerful leaders in the new gen will be the ones to take down Kaido. She wanted to ride with Ace but couldn't and so resorted to his younger brother as the next best thing.

Yuderon's suggestion makes sense, but I think the guiding aspect of the myth could actually refer to Yamao helping to guide Momo in becoming who he's meant to be.
Momo's still been unsure of what he needs to do or how he should act but Yamao's been there to act as an example for him. She also shared Oden's journal that led Momo to recognise his true purpose and why he "absolutely can't afford to die".
Momo is not unsure of anything now. He knows he wants to become Shogun and knows all about his own importance from Oden's journal.

By that logic, Nami is only asking for Luffy's help here and she's only expecting him alone, not the entire crew:[/SPOILER]
Nami was asking Luffy for help, and he and the crew helped. Yamato is asking Luffy for a ride, and he and the crew may or may not give it to Yamato. If they do, it doesn't automatically imply Yamato is going to be a member of the crew.
It could be this, but what I'm saying is that it could also not be this. Ace's promise was to Yamato, not to Oden, so Yamato wouldn't have to ask "as Oden" if they just wanted Luffy to fulfill Ace's promise.
I would say that Yamato has already served as a "guide" for Momonosuke by giving him the journal.

It could be this, but what I'm saying is that it could also not be this. Ace's promise was to Yamato, not to Oden, so Yamato wouldn't have to ask "as Oden" if they just wanted Luffy to fulfill Ace's promise.
That could just be related to the roleplaying stuff. If she's Oden then she must be Momo's father. Likewise, if she's Oden then she must travel with the PK. As his son, Ace would've been the proper replacement. But since he's also dead, gotta resort to Luffy.

It explains why she said she "expects" Luffy to bring her on the ship. I don't think it's a demand or a request, just her Oden disorder.

"If Roger gave Oden a ride on his ship..."
"And I am Oden..."
"Luffy (Roger 2.0) will soon give me a ride on his ship"

She never actually asks to sail with Luffy. She just expects it to be something that will happen since it happened to Oden. So yeah, the idea makes sense that if she grows out of her Oden disorder she'll no longer believe she's sailing with Luffy. Her desire to sail the seas and adventure and her misconception that she is literally Oden are two different things.
I would say that Yamato has already served as a "guide" for Momonosuke by giving him the journal.
Agreed. Now she can develop into the role of the guardian, which would also mirror the story.

While nothing really disproves these kinds of arguments, they don't exactly prove anything either. These aren't points in favor of or against Yamato, it's just guessing where the story could go. This all assumes 1. Yamato will abandon her Oden persona, 2. Yamato only made the promise with Ace because of her Oden persona, 3. Yamato will completely lose interest in Luffy after Wano, 4. Momo is leaving Wano, and 5. The scabbards are either dead or insufficient to protect Momo like they were going into Wano.

This is a lot of leaps in order to provide an alternate route for Yamato aside from the Sunny, and there's no actual indication of any of them happening in the manga. I'm just going to go with Occam's Razor and take the story at face value. One Piece is a pretty simple story.

It's also worth pointing out that while Yamato could want to go out to see for a reason unrelated to Oden, such as her promise with Ace, her fixation on Momo and Wano is 100% Oden based. If she does drop the Oden thing I would assume she's more likely to lose interest in Momo and Wano rather than Luffy. If she's living for herself and abondoning the Oden persona, then why would she stay to protect Wano?

Edit: an extra thought. Yamato's promise with Ace had nothing to do with Roger/Oden because Ace was the one who invited Yamato, not the other way around, and Yamato didn't even know he was Roger's son.

Last edited:
Aww, how cute! Look at dizzy roleplaying, thinking they’re a real psychologist, throwing around diagnoses like “disorder” and “misconception.” Man, it’s so reassuring knowing a random internet personality has the authority to diagnose a fictional character with real-world terminology. And doing so by completely misrepresenting Yamato’s argument entirely! It’s amusing, really. Not hateful toward the character at all. Why do people spend so much money on psychologists and therapy when they could just ask ol’ dizzy, free of charge?

And yes, stating someone has a "disorder" unless you are the writer or a qualified psychologist is very problematic and borders on bullying.

I don’t get the whole “Yamato needs to ask” argument anyway. Carrot never asked to sail with Luffy. Just stowed away on the ship and expected Pedro to take her along. Even begged, but never asked. Yet people use that as evidence why she’s going to join, and even theorize she’ll stow away again! Double-standard much?

I base it on stated desire, and unlike some people, I treat Yamato like a person, not a “disorder.” Yamato has stated they’re leaving with Luffy. The only other person in that camp is Caribou. Until Carrot says something similar, I don’t consider her at all. But as soon as those words leave her mouth? Sure, then I could see it. Yamato staying on Wano is Kaido’s desire, and since when does Oda let villains get what they want? Good job siding with the villain in that case.

Aww, how cute! Look at dizzy roleplaying, thinking they’re a real psychologist, throwing around diagnoses like “disorder” and “misconception.” Man, it’s so reassuring knowing a random internet personality has the authority to diagnose a fictional character with real-world terminology. And doing so by completely misrepresenting Yamato’s argument entirely! It’s amusing, really. Not hateful toward the character at all. Why do people spend so much money on psychologists and therapy when they could just ask ol’ dizzy, free of charge?

And yes, stating someone has a "disorder" unless you are the writer or a qualified psychologist is very problematic and borders on bullying.

I don’t get the whole “Yamato needs to ask” argument anyway. Carrot never asked to sail with Luffy. Just stowed away on the ship and expected Pedro to take her along. Even begged, but never asked. Yet people use that as evidence why she’s going to join, and even theorize she’ll stow away again! Double-standard much?

I base it on stated desire, and unlike some people, I treat Yamato like a person, not a “disorder.” Yamato has stated they’re leaving with Luffy. The only other person in that camp is Caribou. Until Carrot says something similar, I don’t consider her at all. But as soon as those words leave her mouth? Sure, then I could see it. Yamato staying on Wano is Kaido’s desire, and since when does Oda let villains get what they want? Good job siding with the villain in that case.
I may not be a liscenced psyhologist yet as I am still working on my masters degree, but I think a bachelor's in psychology is enough to say Yamato definitely doesn't have a disorder unless there is much more significant stuff related to the Oden thing than we know of. It is kind of annoying when people throw around "official" terminology to sound smart when they obviously don't know what they're talking about. That said, Yamato is a fictional character, so I don't really care if someone "bullies" her.

So yeah, the idea makes sense that if she grows out of her Oden disorder she'll no longer believe she's sailing with Luffy. Her desire to sail the seas and adventure and her misconception that she is literally Oden are two different things.
Not this argument again. Yamato wanting to sail out to sea with Luffy isn't just because she thinks she's Oden, it's because she believes that Luffy is the one to lead the next era of great pirates, AKA Roger. Previously she thought it was Ace. She wants to sail with the straw hats because of Luffy, not because of Oden. Otherwise, she would have wanted to sail on Law or Kidd's crew from the beginning if she were to play the Oden game to a tee. Oden disorder or not, the fact doesn't change that Yamato has taken a particular interest to Luffy, growing out of the Oden thing won't change that fact or how she sees Luffy.

There has to be some unknown factors in Yams' past if she's truly the next Straw hat.Right now, she's just functioning as a character to carry Oden's will which obviously will be fulfilled when the arc finishes.

I'm guessing it has something to do with Luffy's unknown dream.

There has to be some unknown factors in Yams' past if she's truly the next Straw hat.Right now, she's just functioning as a character to carry Oden's will which obviously will be fulfilled when the arc finishes.

I'm guessing it has something to do with Luffy's unknown dream.
Does Yamato even know that Luffy wants to be Pirate King? All that Yamato could know about Luffy is what Ace as said and what was printed in newspapers. Every straw hat has been declaring their faith in Luffy becoming Pirate King, so I thought Yamato might do the same, but with his actual dream... "Luffy is the the man who will <dream>".

Does Yamato even know that Luffy wants to be Pirate King? All that Yamato could know about Luffy is what Ace as said and what was printed in newspapers. Every straw hat has been declaring their faith in Luffy becoming Pirate King, so I thought Yamato might do the same, but with his actual dream... "Luffy is the the man who will <dream>".
The first time She heard Luffy's dream she cried and isn't surprised or confused like Ace, WB or Oden which makes me think she might share the same dream as Luffy and she understood that only the Pirate King might be able to fulfill that dream so maybe she will be determined to help Luffy make that dream come true just like Ace wanted to make WB Pirate King. It fits the Guardian theme of her DF as well.

Current crew

Luffy(Captain)
Zoro(1stCombatant/firstmate)
Nami(navigator)
ussop(sniper/2nd engineer)
Sanji(cook/2ndCombatant) chopper(doctor)
robin(archaeologist) franky(shipwright/engineer)
brook(musician)
jinbei(3rdcombatant/helmsman)

Potential members
Vivi(diplomat)
Carrot(lookout/scout)
yamato(log keeper/4thCombatant)
Marco(2nd doctor/5th Combatant)
momo(apprentice)
Tama(apprentice) smoker(strategist) ceasar(scientist)
Caribou(spy)

Devil fruit.

Paramecia Luffy robin brook Tama

Zoan chopper momo Yamato Marco

Logia
Carrot smoker ceasar caribou

Male
Luffy Zoro ussop Sanji chopper Franky brook jinbei Marco momo smoker ceasar caribou

Female
Nami robin Vivi carrot yamato Tama

Status
Not open for further replies.