Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Ravager on ignore but apparently he is wanking Yamao again.

So I will just give you all a reminder:
The fact that Oda made Yamao stopped babysitting Yamao and went to Rooftop to fight Kaido was a good thing.
But the fact that she went back to babysitting again after Rooftop instead of going together with Robin and Brook is a disaster for Yamao4Nakama club.

Yamao's df IS Yamao's wish.

Nah. Instead Chopper learnt to embrace his differences and decided to join Luffy in delivering joy and good cheer around the world. Ya know...The actual moral of the story...

Let's use our heads a bit, shall we? :rolaugh:

Of course it isn't. No one's ever said that it's always 1 to 1. That would be impractical for an original story.

What is however the case is that Oda takes the main points and ideas of stories and then uses them for inspiration in one way, shape or form.

Rudolph - Story about stigmatisation and how our differences can become our strengths. Reflected in Chopper
Boy who cried wolf - Story about perpetual lying and how faith is lost and gained. Reflected in Usopp

The main idea will be there, otherwise there was little point in the reference to begin with.

And guess what?? The defining feature of the story of "Yamato Takeru and the white wolf" is that it explains how the wolf came to become a guardian deity in Japan. That's literally the reason for the story's existence.
Wasn't trying to say anything was a 1 to 1 comparison just saying that the inspiration is there with major changes

Just like the ones you mention, the ending is completely different but the character is relatively similar

Usopp is the boy who cried wolf but he wasn't killed by the pirates in the end

Chopper is Rudolph but he was never accepted by the other reindeer... but he did guide a slay though lol

I dont think Yamato will stay to guard wano
The Samurai have re-emerged and can only grow and multiply from here and with Luffy planting his flag on Wano, they won't need someone like Yamato to always be around to protect the country

The mostly untrained samurai, old guard of wano and mink were enough of an army to contend with the beast pirates
And I dont think it likely another like Kaido will be along with a force like King, Queen and Jack to try and take over again

Not saying its impossible for Yamato to stay in Wano just that with everything that has been said and done her devil fruit isn't a reason enough for me to believe she'll stay

Especially since Wano was a prosperous nation for centuries without the Makami there as the guardian

I have Ravager on ignore but apparently he is wanking Yamao again.
You and me both. I never actually use the button though. Just see the UN and almost subconsciously skip over anything they have to say. Been like that for about 4 years now. He was a lost cause long before his Yamao phase. Back then I think it was Reiju he was dribbling over.
I dont think Yamato will stay to guard wano
I don't think she will either, but it's still a huge possibility.
Not saying its impossible for Yamato to stay in Wano just that with everything that has been said and done her devil fruit isn't a reason enough for me to believe she'll stay
Her devil fruit ties her to Wano, but the way Oda goes about it can have a bit of flexibility. With her being paired up with Momo, it would still work with her being the guardian of Wano if she were to be travelling with Momo, protecting him.

But as I said before, this is the reason why her df is so important to consider:
The real kicker isn't even the inspiration alone. It's the fact that Oda purposefully decided that the Makami would be the appropriate devil fruit for Yamao. For significant characters, writers give them abilities that reflect who they are. Oda's no different, and creates devil fruits with thematic congruence to its owner.

String fruit - Doflamingo the mastermind puppeteer operating from the shadows
Soul fruit - Big Mom who birthed a massive family and uses her children as her officers
Dragon fruit - Kaido who fought his way to the top, going from a lowly apprentice, to the WSC
Buddah fruit - Sengoku who was FA and considered to be a wise leader
Lightning fruit - Enel a self-proclaimed God who lives in the clouds

You can go on and on. It's really that simple. Oda didn't give Yamao the guardian of Wano devil fruit by mistake. It's not some mishap, or accident that she has it. It was purposefully created to reflect Yamao's character and role in the story.

The fact that people hate Yamao's actual character is not my fault or problem. :super:
The character trait Oda chose to highlight in her df was her role as a guardian and protector of Wano. That is so damning. He could've chosen anything, yet decided to emphasise that. Her purpose in the story is supporting Wano.

That's not even a gag, this is lowkey some variation of mental illness she has to get rid of if she wants to become her "own" character.

Tho it can be viewed as a gag since it's Oda who's writing it tho:goatasure:

Imagine making a character suffer by saying she is someone who was a fraud and let his country suffer for 20 years making him look like a hero:usoprice:
Fair point. But Oden is more of a role.

I pretty much don't care about discussing Yamato's character itself here since it has nothing to do with nakama arguments, but isn't it pretty obvious what the intent was?

A core theme in this arc is identity. The main villain wanted to become Joyboy, a person alive in the past, and inherit his will. Yamato wants to become Oden and inherit his will. The conflict they have is with their oni lineage and believing they must be this person to carry out their dreams. Onis have a bad relationship with humans so maybe that's why they choose to take on another identity?

Regardless, this reveal with Luffy now connects him to their dilemma. How he handles being the confirmed Joyboy inheritor affects those two. If Luffy denies it and embraces who he is, that then makes Yamato learn to accept just being Kaido's daughter and not let her lineage shackle her from who she wants to be. The same message shown with Sanji, Jinbe, Robin, etc. in this arc.

Status
Not open for further replies.