Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
Vivi, Franky, Usopp; 3 times Oda tried the "will they, won't they" suspence at the end of an arc and we had wait multiple chapters for the conclusion just like right now with Yamato. The SHs were leaving at sea when it happened.

Vivi's entire journey with the SHs was about saving her kingdom. The idea of her joining the SHs wasn't brought up until the very end and Oda HEAVILY teased her joining until turning a 180 at the last moment, making her stay.

Franky was obviously gonna join but Oda spent several chapters near the end on Franky saying he wasn't going anywhere. At the last moment, he had Franky join.

Usopp was obviously gonna reunite the SHs but as usual, Oda spent several chapters teasing that the opposite may happen. The SHs were already leaving and at the last moment, Usopp rejoined.

Always happened at the very end of the arc. Yamato spent her entire existence as a character saying she'll join the SHs and now at the very end with the SHs leaving, Oda teasing that it might not happe(you can also toss in Jinbe constantly delaying his recruitment, with Oda constantly teasing that it might not happen only for Jinbe to join in the end no problem).

I'm rereading the manga, reading skypiea right now, and its just make me want no more crewmembers.

The SH in Skypiea were soo cool to read. Chapter 253 is just they hanging around, and while Nami explain Jaya and Upper Yard, the boys are just doing a lot of things in the backgroup that give such a good vibe to the reader, from the comedy to the small details of them interacting in the backgroud.

Those chapters of them hanging around are some of my favorites.

But today we get at most one page of the SH together and they are mostly doing the same gag, or not even doing anything at all.

Just dont give the same feel they had back them. And in the NW this has gotten even worse, the SH have been slip since Dressrosa and now in Wano everytime they are together, there soo many characters that the scenes feel polluted

I'll be breaking up my arguments into posts and spoiler tagging them for those who couldn't care less about Carrot or doubting Yamato. I hope those who do choose to read it and perhaps discuss with me about it understand that I just want to pursue the truth and that if I'm truly wrong, I'll live with it without complaint.

Pedro's Will

This is what brought me back, what I and others were waiting years and years to be addressed: Pedro's will. Pedro died passing on his will to Carrot. Understandably, there was plenty of doubt. I myself dubbed it "Pelldro" at the time he set off those bombs. But the next chapter he didn't get back up, Perospero did with a missing arm despite his armor. And then the tears were shed, and his absence was truly made real like none other since Ace and Whitebeard.

There was also some talk in the past that Carrot didn't receive any will because she’s never brought it up has no idea what the dawn is. But she's had his dying words on her mind throughout the last battle. And now the dukes believe Carrot truly is the one who inherited his will and must follow it. However, what is Pedro's will, and does ruling Zou serve that?

Pedro's final words have three main points. First, the dawn that is to come has been awaited for centuries by both the Minks and the Kozuki. He devoted his life to serving that cause, took on a bounty, gave up his lifespan and his eye to ensure it comes true. Second, he believed it shall be brought about by the Straw Hats, and Carrot will someday understand why they must survive to see it through. Finally, she and they have to keep moving onward.

The Minks believe that to fulfill Pedro's will, Carrot must be made ruler. However, everything points to that not being what Pedro would have wanted. He lived in service to the dawn, the kings and Roger, and had to travel outside of Zou to accomplish his goals. He knew the Road Poneglyph on Zou was only a small part of the answer, that more needed to be found. There's still one left, and he wouldn't have wanted to rest until it was uncovered and and the truth revealed. A ruler duty-bound to stay on Zou has little chance of that, and if he truly wanted Carrot to move onward, he would want her to have autonomy to go out to sea.

It's possible the dukes has a very good reason why staying on Zou is best for bringing the dawn, but if Carrot feels there's more to Pedro's will, she should be free to pursue that. She's not being asked if she'll be ruler, she's being told to do it. Carrot must be free to choose for herself what to do, that freedom being on of One Piece's guiding ideals.

Amazing how the same people who were arguing Yamato has to stay in Wano and guard it, despite that being forced on her by Kaido and her wanting to leave, are now arguing that Carrot will not and must not accept the rulership of Zou because it's being forced on her. Talk about double-standard.
Did I ever say Yamato must guard Wano, or that Carrot must leave Zou? They have free will, and they both need to have the freedom to choose one way or the other.

R

rubblerust

Did I ever say Yamato must guard Wano, or that Carrot must leave Zou? They have free will, and they both need to have the freedom to choose one way or the other.
As far as I'm concerned there's not too big a difference between saying they "must" do something or to argue that it's ethically better justified for them to choose one option over the other.

Yamato was clearly being forced to do something, and she absolutely didn't want to do it. People were arguing that she's going to change her mind and eventually realize that it's ethically the better decision to do the opposite of what she wanted. They were even saying it makes a better story. Now Carrot is faced with a choice where she's not even being forced, hasn't even voiced strong opposition, and yet the same people are saying nope this is sheer tyranny and taking her free will and so on.

It's just people projecting what they want to happen into the story and then trying to justify it by some nonsensical in-world logic.

As far as I'm concerned there's not too big a difference between saying they "must" do something or to argue that it's ethically better justified for them to choose one option over the other.

Yamato was clearly being forced to do something, and she absolutely didn't want to do it. People were arguing that she's going to change her mind and eventually realize that it's ethically the better decision to do the opposite of what she wanted. They were even saying it makes a better story. Now Carrot is faced with a choice where she's not even being forced, hasn't even voiced strong opposition, and yet the same people are saying nope this is sheer tyranny and taking her free will and so on.

It's just people projecting what they want to happen into the story and then trying to justify it by some nonsensical in-world logic.
I'm bringing up some of what I said the other day:

Because it's not an offer. They didn't ask. They told her, "You're going to be ruler," and they won't hear a word against it. Whether she goes through with it or not, she has to be free to choose. Just like Yamato has to be free to decide what he wants to do for himself. Whatever happens to both of them, their free will should be respected.

Now Carrot is being, I'm not going to say forced, but pressured into being a ruler. If she is going to take the job, we would want it to be because she actually wants it, that it really would be Pedro's will that she do it.

I feel there's a subtle but very real difference between choosing to stay because someone hopes you won't go and staying because someone expects you to stay. Momo and Yamato had been building a bond for the entire time they were together. We always knew if Yamato decided to stay, it would be because of Momo, not Kaido, and that it would be by choice, not because he's Momo's servant or a duty as some guardian of Wano bound by a fruit. If Carrot stays, it shouldn't be because anyone tells her it's her duty. There has to be someone that compells her to choose to return to Zou, and the closest that would be is Pedro, whose will she inherited. However, I will never believe that his will meant for her to go back.
I've always said Yamato will be free to choose. I accepted that Yamato might choose to leave with the crew or even without them, that Carrot's path might not coincide with theirs. But I'd say that likewise, if you've been arguing that Yamato shouldn't have to stay in Wano, you should be the first to accept that Carrot shouldn't have to stay in Zou if she doesn't want to.

Last edited:
I'm bringing up some of what I said the other day:

I've always said Yamato will be free to choose. I accepted that Yamato might decide to leave with the crew or even without them, that Carrot's path might not coincide with theirs. But I'd say that if you've been arguing that Yamato shouldn't have to stay in Wano, you should be the first to accept that Carrot shouldn't have to keep in Zou if she doesn't want to.
Yeah, But the thing Carrot situation I said before, I will say again.
She did not participate in this arc that is currently going on at the time
Most of her enemies affected her past were defeated by non-straw hats characters. So there is no incentive for her to continue her journey alongside with the straw hats
She has not been set up for possibly joining the crew towards the end of the raid.
Throughout Wano, Carrot mainly spent time with the rest of the minks. Carrot's fight was practically skipped over compared to the straw hats and their alliance. She does not have past mention or an exploration of her character even remotely to fleshing her out.
The character has not been advised or teased about the possibility of joining the crew.
On top of that, she had not thought Pedro's will for quite a while until Cat viper and dog storm brought it up.
Is it possible Carrot could still join the crew? I would say very slim chance. I am more leaning she might have a cover page story with her character and likely come back towards the final war

Uncle Van

Taxes Are a Sickness
I'll be breaking up my arguments into posts and spoiler tagging them for those who couldn't care less about Carrot or doubting Yamato. I hope those who do choose to read it and perhaps discuss with me about it understand that I just want to pursue the truth and that if I'm truly wrong, I'll live with it without complaint.

Pedro's Will

This is what brought me back, what I and others were waiting years and years to be addressed: Pedro's will. Pedro died passing on his will to Carrot. Understandably, there was plenty of doubt. I myself dubbed it "Pelldro" at the time he set off those bombs. But the next chapter he didn't get back up, Perospero did with a missing arm despite his armor. And then the tears were shed, and his absence was truly made real like none other since Ace and Whitebeard.

There was also some talk in the past that Carrot didn't receive any will because she’s never brought it up has no idea what the dawn is. But she's had his dying words on her mind throughout the last battle. And now the dukes believe Carrot truly is the one who inherited his will and must follow it. However, what is Pedro's will, and does ruling Zou serve that?

Pedro's final words have three main points. First, the dawn that is to come has been awaited for centuries by both the Minks and the Kozuki. He devoted his life to serving that cause, took on a bounty, gave up his lifespan and his eye to ensure it comes true. Second, he believed it shall be brought about by the Straw Hats, and Carrot will someday understand why they must survive to see it through. Finally, she and they have to keep moving onward.

The Minks believe that to fulfill Pedro's will, Carrot must be made ruler. However, everything points to that not being what Pedro would have wanted. He lived in service to the dawn, the kings and Roger, and had to travel outside of Zou to accomplish his goals. He knew the Road Poneglyph on Zou was only a small part of the answer, that more needed to be found. There's still one left, and he wouldn't have wanted to rest until it was uncovered and and the truth revealed. A ruler duty-bound to stay on Zou has little chance of that, and if he truly wanted Carrot to move onward, he would want her to have autonomy to go out to sea.

It's possible the dukes has a very good reason why staying on Zou is best for bringing the dawn, but if Carrot feels there's more to Pedro's will, she should be free to pursue that. She's not being asked if she'll be ruler, she's being told to do it. Carrot must be free to choose for herself what to do, that freedom being on of One Piece's guiding ideals.
Pedro's will was being the support for those who will bring the dawn(and its the reason he created the Nox/Night pirates), who he believed to be the SH pirates. He said that the SHs are the ones their people have been waiting for for centuries, and that is very important that the SHs continue their voyage to bring the dawn. You don't have to be a SH pirate to support their voyage.

Pedro told Carrot that everyone has their moment to shine and she needs to move forward. His words played in Carrot's head when she attacked Katakuri in WCI and Pero in Wano, and both times she was quickly dealt with. The Dukes have presented Carrot with her moment to shine as the leader of the Minks, being a support for the ones who will bring the dawn.

Pedro's will was being the support for those who will bring the dawn(and its the reason he created the Nox/Night pirates), who he believed to be the SH pirates. He said that the SHs are the ones their people have been waiting for for centuries, and that is very important that the SHs continue their voyage to bring the dawn. You don't have to be a SH pirate to support their voyage.

Pedro told Carrot that everyone has their moment to shine and she needs to move forward. His words played in Carrot's head when she attacked Katakuri in WCI and Pero in Wano, and both times she was quickly dealt with. The Dukes have presented Carrot with her moment to shine as the leader of the Minks, being a support for the ones who will bring the dawn.
Pedro died passing on his will when death has been used primarily to inspire the characters to greater things. Yes, being ruler of Zou is great, but it still goes against the message Pedro gave her to move forward, the message Carrot remembered as Peros was telling her to run back home. Pedro wanted to find the Poneglyphs. He wanted to bring the dawn, and died so the Straw Hats could move forward and do that. He died telling Carrot that their mission was the most important in the world. I do not believe that he died thinking she ought to be restricted to Zou to accomplish it.

And Carrot herself gets it: she's not the strongest or the best. Yamato has so many things she lacks. But Carrot exemplifies the traits that many of the Straw Hats did before her: she has so much potential, she's got a good heart and fights without concern for herself, even against enemies she can't defeat. Luffy isn't collecting the biggest and baddest with unstoppable powers like Kaido and Blackbeard. He wants friends, and he'll take nearly anyone if he likes them.

So why not Yamato? Why Carrot specifically? Because I find Carrot the one most likely to actually ask, to please let her on the crew, to need them as her friends and to feel that Pedro would have wanted the same for her. And I feel that in Yamato's case, Momo needs him a lot more than Luffy does. Momo doesn't want all his friends to leave, no matter how hard he tried to push them away. I believe Yamato will stay for his friend Momo's sake. I believe that's what living as Kozuki Oden will ultimately meant for Yamato.

R

rubblerust

Pedro died passing on his will when death has been used primarily to inspire the characters to greater things. Yes, being ruler of Zou is great, but it still goes against the message Pedro gave her to move forward, the message Carrot remembered as Peros was telling her to run back home. Pedro wanted to find the Poneglyphs. He wanted to bring the dawn, and died so the Straw Hats could move forward and do that. He died telling Carrot that their mission was the most important in the world. I do not believe that he died thinking she ought to be restricted to Zou to accomplish it.

And Carrot herself gets it: she's not the strongest or the best. Yamato has so many things she lacks. But Carrot exemplifies the traits that many of the Straw Hats did before her: she has so much potential, she's got a good heart and fights without concern for herself, even against enemies she can't defeat. Luffy isn't collecting the biggest and baddest with unstoppable powers like Kaido and Blackbeard. He wants friends, and he'll take nearly anyone if he likes them.

So why not Yamato? Why Carrot specifically? Because I find Carrot the one most likely to actually ask, to please let her on the crew, to need them as her friends and to feel that Pedro would have wanted the same for her. And I feel that in Yamato's case, Momo needs him a lot more than Luffy does. Momo doesn't want all his friends to leave, no matter how hard he tried to push them away. I believe Yamato will stay for his friend Momo's sake. I believe that's what living as Kozuki Oden will ultimately meant for Yamato.
:pepecopium::pepecopium::pepecopium:

Status
Not open for further replies.