Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Your whole argument runs on a no limits fallacy. It is a racial trait that they can use and how they can be identified as such. This has been stated in narrative. From birth, they have the natural instincts to fight and wield Electro.

Also, I just did show it. All that statement means is that Crocodile is an ignorant human who views Fishman as violent creatures.

[/SPOILER]
This is going round in absolutely pointless circles and I've lost all interest. Chopper might show Electro, he might not.

Either way, doesn't change the fact that Luffy did not invite a Mink to the crew because he thinks that Minks are too like Chopper. A thought he expressed again in the very page Carrot was fully introduced.

This is going round in absolutely pointless circles and I've lost all interest. Chopper might show Electro, he might not.

Either way, doesn't change the fact that Luffy did not invite a Mink to the crew because he thinks that Minks are too like Chopper. A thought he expressed again in the very page Carrot was fully introduced.
And I've said Chopper can make his own variation of it if he chooses. But he can't "learn" it, it is an inbred trait of a member of the Mink Tribe. Chopper was a reindeer who ate a human-human fruit. He does not display any of their abilities, staring at a full moon doesn't transform him, so all these machinations of ideas you're trying to assert is just speculation.

It's fine that Luffy didn't express immediate interest in the Mink, he has shown that he still values Carrot like a member of his crew.

Ffs, none of those panels even say that Minks are born with Electro. I was giving you the benefit of the doubt because I haven't read it for a while. The monkey says that they are born warriors, doesn't mention Electro. Carrot just says Randolph can't make Electro. Do you actually have a panel saying that only Minks can use Electro, or that they are born with it?

I can give you panels that say that Crocodile, a relatively well travelled man, believed that it was only mermaids who could speak to fish, and was surprised that Jinbei could as well. Showing that characters aren't infallible. Jinbei also asks if it seems strange that a Fishman would be friendly with fishfolk- I'll ape him and ask if it would be strange that a character who has been said to be like a Mink twice can learn to do what Minks can.

And I can show you a panel that talks about how even among the merfolk there are things that only some of them can do. Only Neptune can talk to whales. Only Shirahoshi can talk to Sea Kings.

All of which suggests that someone without an association with the sea like a Fishman or a Merfolk learning to talk to fish would be unlikely- but not impossible. The Voice of All Things exists, after all.
We don't need same scenario to know how Mink is the only species who can do Sulong and electro. Correct me here, Carrot is surprised that Rudolph can't do electro and turn out he is homie right?

I think the main point here is we are right until we are proven wrong from narration perspective and you're wrong until you are proven right.

I think the main point here is we are right until we are proven wrong from narration perspective and you're wrong until you are proven right.
I suppose that's a fair way to put it
It's fine that Luffy didn't express immediate interest in the Mink, he has shown that he still values Carrot like a member of his crew.
Jesus Christ, if that's considering someone a member of his crew then everyone at every party Luffy has ever been to is a Strawhat.

Well its game over for the Mascot Carrot, not that she ever had any chances to begin with. Her only purpose was to divert people's attention long enough so that the main player made her entrance. In 2 chapters Yamato has more character development and personality than the cute filler bunny will ever have. Yamato already gives off a Strawhat vibe and she's guaranteed to have a major flashback, not some 2 irrelevant panels whos relation with Pedro was never shown to be of importance in the ongoing story which holds no value at all.

Did i forget to mention that Carrot is utterly useless and of zero consequence in the story?

Yamato and Carrot are worlds apart and its shown by how much consideration, work and focus was put into them. Tama would have been a strong candidate like Yamato too if it wasn't for her young age along with being practically powerless. Yamato is special and perfectly integrated into the narrative, she's the one and last Strawhat.

Touched on this briefly, but decided to go more in depth since it seems to be a point that keeps getting brought up as a reason for why Carrot can't join. That being her relationship with Luffy. People claim that Luffy hasn't shown any interest in Carrot and as a result she won't join the crew. It's true that Luffy did have a significant relationship to most of his crew members before they joined, and I think the relationship between Luffy and Carrot has been gone about in a unique way, but it will still end up being significant and meaningful in its own way.

When it comes to Carrot's relationship with Luffy people always phrase it in a manner saying Luffy has shown zero interest in her as if the relationship is similar to that of grand fleet commanders with them showing tons of admiration and interest, and Luffy not really giving a shit. He hardly even remembers their names. Whereas the relationship with Luffy and Carrot is more of a mutual friendship, but the relationship not going much deeper than that.

When put into context however, the depth of that relationship makes total sense.
The kozuki and the minks have been waiting for Luffy and his crew for centuries yet Carrot has zero idea about their importance. To her, they are just her friends, not these people of prophecy, destined to change the world. At the moment, Luffy does not see Carrot as anything but a friend, and likewise, Carrot does not see Luffy as anything but a friend. However the final words of Pedro to Carrot are telling her to push on and that she will, one day, understand their true importance. How the straw hats are much more than just friends, and how they are on much more than just an adventure.

This moment of understanding that Pedro spoke of would perfectly parallel this moment from Jinbe:
A true comprehension of the greater picture and a pledge to take part.

This also parallels to Oden's journey:

Someone who had set out for nothing but adventure, exactly like Carrot, but upon encountering Roger he got a sense that there was something important about him and meaningful to their encounter and wished to find out more.

It's possible the reason Carrot and Luffy, despite being friends and having travelled together for so long don't have a deeper relationship is precisely because the significance behind the deepening of the relationship is a plot point Oda intends to address at a later point. Carrot's been set up to have an enlightened moment in the story where she fully understands what Luffy represents and will bring about and it's possible that her actions that follow with this understanding triggers a moment of great significance between the two.

I think it might not be a coincidence that Carrot hasn't had any of her cool moments in front of Luffy. Be it when she was able to jump in mid-air, jumped so high she could see across an entire city, took over the mirro-world, when she transformed into a moon lion werewolf goddess, when she solo'ed one of a yonko's fleets. Luffy's not been there for a single moment. Considering how others reacted, Luffy would go crazy over some of these things. It's possible Oda is holding back for the right moment in the narrative for the two to have a greater interest in one another.

Carrot isn't the only one that has yet to learn of the straw hats importance. All of the minks and the kozuki are in the same situation. But the fact that this major plot point is being told with her at the forefront of it speaks volumes to her overall importance in the story.

I think the relationship with Luffy argument is nonsense because of Franky. Not only did Luffy not really have moments with Franky before he joined, but he couldn't even remember his name until the end of the arc. He just referred to him as "that thug".

The Pekoms thing, on the other hand, is pretty significant. Luffy not asking him on the crew because he's too similar to Chopper is a serious blow to Carrot.

Well its game over for the Mascot Carrot, not that she ever had any chances to begin with. Her only purpose was to divert people's attention long enough so that the main player made her entrance. In 2 chapters Yamato has more character development and personality than the cute filler bunny will ever have. Yamato already gives off a Strawhat vibe and she's guaranteed to have a major flashback, not some 2 irrelevant panels whos relation with Pedro was never shown to be of importance in the ongoing story which holds no value at all.

Did i forget to mention that Carrot is utterly useless and of zero consequence in the story?

Yamato and Carrot are worlds apart and its shown by how much consideration, work and focus was put into them. Tama would have been a strong candidate like Yamato too if it wasn't for her young age along with being practically powerless. Yamato is special and perfectly integrated into the narrative, she's the one and last Strawhat.
Lol. Carrot haters don't know what character development even mean it seems.

But you're right that yamato and Carrot are worlds apart : so far, Carrot is leagues beyond Yamato in all the departmenert which matters for a good storyteller.

I think the relationship with Luffy argument is nonsense because of Franky. Not only did Luffy not really have moments with Franky before he joined, but he couldn't even remember his name until the end of the arc. He just referred to him as "that thug".
I don't think it's nonsense since Luffy still had a relationship with 8/9 of his crew members before they joined. And "nakama" is a huge theme in the series. But yeah, I was gonna include Franky in my main post but then figured it was kinda out of place. But people really do forget about Water 7 when talking about relationships. Luffy had a closer relationship with Paulie and showed more interest in him than he ever did with Franky. Even after Franky revealed he was a cyborg, there was zero reaction from Luffy. Luffy's fanboying over lasers and robots only appeared after Franky had joined the crew. Before that he simply didn't care. Likewise, Franky was waaay closer with Robin and Usopp than with Luffy.

My post is mainly there to try and provide a different side. Not only did Franky never have a meaningful relationship with Luffy, but Carrot also has set up in the story to have a closer relationship of her own with him. Argument that Luffy isn't interested in Carrot, so she can't join is countered from both angles.
The Pekoms thing, on the other hand, is pretty significant. Luffy not asking him on the crew because he's too similar to Chopper is a serious blow to Carrot.
I think that's a misinterpretation. Luffy didn't say that they already had something like that on the crew because he was thinking of inviting Pekoms, he said it because he was surprised that a lion could talk, missing the point that they've already been travelling with a talking reindeer, so something like that shouldn't shock him. Not that Pekoms is not worthy to join because they already have Chopper.

The only times Luffy will immediately ask someone to join is either he needs a role fulfilled on the ship or if he finds them cool and interesting. In the case of Robin, Franky, and Jinbe, they had to build that level of trust and worthiness to him beyond simple friendship for him to bring them along.

As I said, I'd rather wait and see this out. The only reason Oden even went with Roger was to help him decipher the Poneglyphs and Roger even prostrated himself to Whitebeard to let him get Oden so that he could locate Laugh Tale. Something Robin already does. So I'm not convinced about Oden parallels till she actually shows something individualistic on her end.

Luffy's moment with Franky was when he placed Robin's fate- the sole reason they were in EL- in his hands. That's the moment that the Luffy- Franky relationship fully turns around from adversarial to comradely.

And he did know his name there

And this came when the crew were openly looking for a shipwright, when he'd been given a multi-chapter flashback detailing his relationship with Tom and how that tied in to the main plot in the arc- Robin and CP9. Franky was obviously joining from the minute we had his flashback.

Franky and Luffy had an actual story- mutual dislike at first, Franky then turning and placing all his hopes in the Strawhats, Luffy in turn placing the responsibility for Robin on his shoulders, then him finally making the ship for them.

Luffy and Carrot don't have a story. Luffy and Franky (and Luffy and Robin) was at least interesting because that was something that started off adversarial then turned into friendship. With Carrot there's just this... beige, dull friendship that isn't really focused on or interesting at all, especially compared to the other Strawhats. Luffy hasn't liked every Strawhat immediately, but there has always been something interesting about Luffy's interactions with them prior to them joining. I can't think of a single strong Carrot/Luffy interaction in what is coming up to two hundred chapters (a length of time in which every other Strawhat has been at least invited to join the crew, even if Jinbei hadn't fully accepted yet). Even Pedro dying in front of his eyes- Luffy genuinely seems to care more about Oden, who he's never met.

And now she is supposed to spark his attention in a cast of hundreds (slight exaggeration of course), where there's so many other characters that Oda has focused on instead of her. Even her big trump card of Su Long isn't going to be special, cause we're going to see all the other Minks do it as well- and it'll be new to us seeing that, whereas we've already seen Carrot's. And to make matters worse, Luffy is currently hanging around with the daughter of the main villain who is an associate of his beloved, dead older brother. I doubt Yamato will join the crew, but she's sure as hell got more setup to be important in the Wano endgame than Carrot.

Status
Not open for further replies.