Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's obvious when i said "nitpicking" it was in regards to saying as if using goggles was a bad thing.

Your list only makes sense in a hindsight,if we were in the Wedding portion of WCI you could've made the same argument against helmsman and Jinbe not being anything special at all.(Though i already explained why Carrot would bring something that other's can't do with the lookout role).

And i'll say this,because people can't comprehend this.
Straw Hats as it stands now are EQUALLY GOOD OR BAD at being a lookout,because all of them take turns at it,each being up the for the same amount of time. So no,none of them excel at it like some of you try to suggest(which btw - you guessed it - is similiar to how Helmsman was before Jinbe joined)
Jinbe already showed his uniqueness in Impel Down.
Even if you say the whales have no relevance to helsmanship (which is nonsense since he is literally the only fishmen to be able to converse with them), he was already naturally taking the place, not taking turns with anyone.
Usopp already showed his marksmanship, Sanji his cooking skills. Admittedly Nami was only a navigator until the arc she actually joined, Robin from the get-go, Brook so, Franky so, Chopper so.

And also another error in logic, Jinbe was not traversing with the Strawhats until WCI, it was the only opportunity to show it in context with the Strawhats.
For Carrot, she has been traversing a long time with the Strawhats, had several opportunities to showcase anything special, she didn´t.

Some are better, some are worse. Usopp > in eyesight, Sanji > flying, Robin > speed.

Unfortunately,Robin's personality isn't well suited for being a lookout according to Luffy...

:seriously:

Well that was not point, what I wanted to imply is that, oda made jinbe the BEST helmsman and we can argue that oda did that because you know PK crew should ha e the best, but what about making carrot join with the main argument around her role. It won't work because it as I said we know she ain't, the best is probably viola. Also jinbe is added to crew not because he is the best helmsman but because of his character and plot involved from the start and as a gift oda gave him the title of best helmsman suitable for PK role, so if someone joins it would be due to the character plot and story in the series and around luffy, role is just a consequence of them joining

Jinbe already showed his uniqueness in Impel Down.
He did show uniqueness with talking to whales,but that wasn't what your "pattern" was about though. He didn't show that he is the best at being a helmsman compared to other crewmembers. He steered the ship in the same way that the SH's did until this point,that's it. Nothing was said that would put him above Franky in terms of steering the ship. He showed that he is the best at it in WCI,after the declaration of joining the crew,so yeah. In hindsight it's so easy to say stuff like this. Jinbe also could've showcased his skills on the way to Marineford,but he didn't. Oda made him do it after he was said to join. Same with Carrot,she was doing her job well,could he have showed better that her lookout skills to be exceptional? Sure,same as he could've with Jinbe. At least the groundwork and foreshadowing is there for Carrot.
What about the other SH you ask? Well,most of them had to showcase their skills right away,because Luffy was actively searching for crewmembers,who also could fill the necessary roles like Cook,Doctor or Shipwright to name the few. Carrot wouldn't join the crew because we are searching for a lookout,we already made it so far without it after all,it would be weird to showcase it as something that would be omega necessary. It would be just an addition that would take the weight of the shoulder of every SH,thanks to her being able to stay up at irregular hours,in addition to being good at the job.

:seriously:

Well that was not point, what I wanted to imply is that, oda made jinbe the BEST helmsman and we can argue that oda did that because you know PK crew should ha e the best, but what about making carrot join with the main argument around her role. It won't work because it as I said we know she ain't, the best is probably viola.
Is Lookout the main argument for Carrot to join the crew though? I disagree with that,and i didn't see even people talk like it is. Why i think she will join is tons of different little things,what she represents and some circumstances which put together make it obvious to me. She doesn't have to be the best in the world,as i said in a different post. She just has to give something to the crew with it that they can't do.(Which i already tried explaining,but i guess no one tries to see the light :steef:).

One last thing before i go,let's not pretend that post-ts recruitment will go in the same way that pre-ts would. With the plot getting closer to the end,and with each arc getting dozens of new characters,it's only natural that new crewmembers would take time to flesh out,like with Jinbe who took years to join. :goyea:
Thanks for the cultural conversation ShinmenTakezo and vikas :endthis:
Maybe some other time i will be able to convince someone :shocking:

He did show uniqueness with talking to whales,but that wasn't what your "pattern" was about though. He didn't show that he is the best at being a helmsman compared to other crewmembers. He steered the ship in the same way that the SH's did until this point,that's it. Nothing was said that would put him above Franky in terms of steering the ship. He showed that he is the best at it in WCI,after the declaration of joining the crew,so yeah. In hindsight it's so easy to say stuff like this. Jinbe also could've showcased his skills on the way to Marineford,but he didn't. Oda made him do it after he was said to join. Same with Carrot,she was doing her job well,could he have showed better that her lookout skills to be exceptional? Sure,same as he could've with Jinbe. At least the groundwork and foreshadowing is there for Carrot.
What about the other SH you ask? Well,most of them had to showcase their skills right away,because Luffy was actively searching for crewmembers,who also could fill the necessary roles like Cook,Doctor or Shipwright to name the few. Carrot wouldn't join the crew because we are searching for a lookout,we already made it so far without it after all,it would be weird to showcase it as something that would be omega necessary. It would be just an addition that would take the weight of the shoulder of every SH,thanks to her being able to stay up at irregular hours,in addition to being good at the job.

Is Lookout the main argument for Carrot to join the crew though? I disagree with that,and i didn't see even people talk like it is. Why i think she will join is tons of different little things,what she represents and some circumstances which put together make it obvious to me. She doesn't have to be the best in the world,as i said in a different post. She just has to give something to the crew with it that they can't do.(Which i already tried explaining,but i guess no one tries to see the light :steef:).

One last thing before i go,let's not pretend that post-ts recruitment will go in the same way that pre-ts would. With the plot getting closer to the end,and with each arc getting dozens of new characters,it's only natural that new crewmembers would take time to flesh out,like with Jinbe who took years to join. :goyea:
Thanks for the cultural conversation ShinmenTakezo and vikas :endthis:
Maybe some other time i will be able to convince someone :shocking:
Already addressed that, it´s putting two and two together. A dude being able to converse with fish that can sense the currents and inform him. And yes, there was a lot of talk already back then about Jinbe and helmsmanship. Admittedly, it was also partly supported and stimulated by Burgess being helmsman. Nevertheless, the point still stands, first opportunity he got in regards to Strawhats, Oda pointed it out. So he still falls within the "showed his skills compared to Strawhats and the world before officially joining".
Jinbe is just a special case because he joined inofficially, and then did not traverse with the crew.
Marineford was not a sea battle, and in the end he was almost lethally injured.

So once again, it´s a breaking of pattern.

Jinbe was not matched by others in helmsmanship when it was necessary, first opportunity we saw his skills, Carrot has had opportunities, shared the duties and the skills.
Bottom line.

I just can't see how oda if carrot is made to join the crew will write her to be a main crew member of the series. I feel like no one would join but we might get tag alongs like law... What will law even do after this arc oda tried to make his goal to know about D too to keep him and his goal relevant to story I guess.
But yamato seems to not fit into that role too. I can only see her as crew member or go solo or die in this arc. She doesn't has any rwasin to be just a tag along

Carrot in retrospect to me even now still feels like support character rather than main character. In zou arc she wasn’t really character who had a lot a lot screen time devoted to her as her own individual. If anything you got more connected to the mink tribe in terms there ideals how they do certain things for others. As well showing there abilities.

In terms the tragedy in zou carrot was not really the Center of attention with in that flashback. In other words you didn’t see the pain or the lost coming from her perspective going on at the time. You just saw from pedro, neku, inu, and Wanda point view. By comparison she comes as a background character in that particular flashback. The only time she shows any interest going out sea is listening conversation with luffy, Nami, pekcoms, and Wanda about sanji.

In whole cake island arc she does appear to be stowaway on the sunny. We did learn little bit about her characteristics. In terms of her personality and what she wants to do. The only thing pedro says to us about carrot is “she is good fighter”. That’s very vague. Carrot never says anything about her past before she met Pedro. You got to know more about pedro as a character as opposed to carrot in that arc.

Through out whole cake island what did carrot actually do? She did save both Nami and chopper from being slashed. She end up teaming up with chopper to take down bruelee. She used her fan art regroup with other characters. She attempts to resuce brook alongside Nami, chopper, perdo, and Jinbei but fails do so. She does help nami, sanji, and chopper rescue the vinesmokes in the wedding ceremony. After, leaving whole cake island the biggest highlight of carrot contribute is the suslong transformation. In terms How much power it wielded and it’s a drawback. After whole cake island arc she didn’t get any Notoriety or name recognition alongside with luffy, sanji, and Jinbei.

Through the course wano carrot hasn’t had a lot screen get to know more about her. She start becoming more background and support character. Especially In act 1 she just reunited luffy and kinemon later listening to oden’s flashback from kinemon. In act 2 she was with rest of the minks barley was shown while other straw hats were causing a rucks and a stir through out the island. Finally in Act 3 she is celebrating Jinbei arrival. When straw hats attacking random beast pirates where the tori gate is carrot is not fighting alongside with them together nor is she with cheerleading squad alongside chopper,nami, and ussop. Luffy doesn’t even make a toast for carrot being all another additional member to the team. Luffy only mention Jinbei. Ussop literally took over her role being the look out by using observation Haki from far distances. Carrot gets easily capture by one of big mom’s homies. Even though the original objective was go alongside with Nami to rescue momo as she said, to kinemon. She does end up freeing herself alongside with Nami from the homie. She does indeed celebrate that Nami was save by Franky and Brook when big mom at time was about to kill Nami. She starts freaking out alongside with Nami when Franky ends seeing something similar to oars.

When the straw hats are doing there epic Fighting stance preparing for battle she ends up alongside with Wanda to deal with perospero. She’s not really focusing on the main plot right now she’s focusing on her own personal grudge against someone else. So technically, she is not really working alongside all the straw hats at the moment or the minks. This is Something you would see from kyros or paulie would do. Carrot could possible create her own mink division under the grand fleet. The grand fleet doesn’t have to consist of the people that were seeing current story right now. They could have additional members of there group leaders of this particular group people. She could still go adventure bring in the dawn of new world that represent the straw hats pirate. Plus If neku and inu do kick bucket it is likely that Wanda going take over mink tribe. Knowing that the minks are allies/friends with kozkui it could similar situation like in dressrosa with dwarfs being allies of the citizens. There tribe and as well straw hats allies will be able protect wano. Overall do I believe carrot would join the crew despite my anti carrot opinion I would say it’s a maybe.

Last edited:
Should Carrot become a straw hat then I think her role will be the lookout.

Carrot has good eyesight, is able to quickly reach higher vantage points and is able to manage an irregular sleep schedule. I think this makes her the best lookout.

Her ability to jump really high also helps her nature act like a lookout even outside of sailing. (as shown in Zou) With her jumping power she has the advantage of covering more area (or more of the ocean) compared to Usopp. With her jumping power when she is on top of the crow's nest, she can use her jumping power to get to an even higher vantage point than the crow's nest. Carrot can jump a mile in the air while floating to get a better vantage point than the crow's nest to see much further than Usopp could.

In addition, Carrot fulfills what Luffy's requirement for a lookout is. Carrot has the exact personality type that Luffy wants out of someone filling that position. Luffy had discussed with Robin that a lookout should be excited about adventure that a lookout should scream with passion whenever he / it sees an island in sight. (chapter 304)

-

Since they got Sunny, Carrot is the only character we saw actively on the crow's nest. At Merry, Zoro, Sanji and Usopp were seen a few times as a lookout, but since they got the Sunny we haven't really seen anyone (from the sh) in the lookout position.

Zoro was the only one we saw in Crow's Nest where he was doing the job of the lookout (chapter 442). After that we didn't see anyone doing the job as a lookout in / on the crow's nest. But when Pedro and Carrot were on the Sunny, it changed. Pedro got more screen time on the crow's nest at the Sunny than any other straw hat, even if it wasn't much screen time, unlike Carrot, he still had more screen time on the crow's nest than the others (followed by Chopper). Chopper was the lookout for a short time, with Carrot on the crow's nest. But Carrot is the only character we often saw on the crow's nest. (and that only in an arc)

In no arc, except the WCI, the lookout position was active with someone to see and coincidentally, Carrot was the most active on the crow's nest which is why we saw the lookout active. Otherwise you don't see this position often with the others at all. Some think that Usopp is the reason, but this point contradicts itself. The last time we saw Usopp in the lookout position was when they still had the Merry. After that he didn't get a single panel where you can see him on the crow's nest (and that must mean something). Oda didn't even show us Usopp on the crow's nest in chapter 978 (if he was on the crow's nest). In chapter 978 Oda had the chance to show Usopp on the crow's nest at the Sunny because it is the only chapter you can assume that Usopp was on the crow's nest but he didn't. Before Carrot was even introduced, Oda had the chance to show Usopp at the crow's nest at the Sunny, but he never did. Oda had had the opportunity to show / draw Usopp at the Sunny on / in the crow's nest but never did it, neither lookout on the Sunny actively shown in an arc. (except in WCI)

-
Oda confirmed in SBS 74 that every crew member takes part in the role of lookout just like it was with the shipwright and the helmsman.

'' And thus, even during instances where they have to navigate through the seas during nighttime, there will always need to be at least two people awake at all times in order to keep an eye out in both the front and back directions of the ship , hence every member alternates every 2 hours to stay on the lookout. It isn't too uncommon that these people don't get sufficient sleep. ''

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/SBS_Volume_74
So Oda made it clear that they didn't have a dedicated lookout and gave the reason. Neither of them can handle an irregular sleep schedule. Carrot can solve this problem. As an assistant to the Dukes on Zou, she also has a highly irregular sleep pattern meaning she can stay awake almost all day and night and is highly adaptive with her sleep schedule. I think that's what makes Carrot the official lookout since Oda explained to us why they always need 2 members as guards during sleep time.

Last edited:
Should Carrot become a straw hat then I think her role will be the lookout.

Carrot has good eyesight, is able to quickly reach higher vantage points and is able to manage an irregular sleep schedule. Her ability to jump really high also helps her nature act like a lookout even outside of sailing. (as shown in Zou) With her jumping power she has the advantage of covering more area (or more of the ocean) compared to Usopp. With her jumping power when she is on top of the crow's nest, she can use her jumping power to get to an even higher vantage point than the crow's nest. Carrot can jump a mile in the air while floating to get a better vantage point than the crow's nest to see much further than Usopp could.

In addition, Carrot fulfills what Luffy's requirement for a lookout is. Carrot has the exact personality type that Luffy wants out of someone filling that position. Luffy had discussed with Robin that a lookout should be excited about adventure that a lookout should scream with passion whenever he / it sees an island in sight. (chapter 304)

-

Since they got Sunny, Carrot is the only character we saw actively on the crow's nest. At Merry, Zoro, Sanji and Usopp were seen a few times as a lookout, but since they got the Sunny we haven't really seen anyone (from the sh) in the lookout position.

Zoro was the only one we saw in Crow's Nest where he was doing the job of the lookout (chapter 442). After that we didn't see anyone doing the job as a lookout in / on the crow's nest. But when Pedro and Carrot were on the Sunny, it changed. Pedro got more screen time on the crow's nest at the Sunny than any other straw hat, even if it wasn't much screen time, unlike Carrot, he still had more screen time on the crow's nest than the others (followed by Chopper). Chopper was the lookout for a short time, with Carrot on the crow's nest. But Carrot is the only character we often saw on the crow's nest. (and that only in an arc)

In no arc, except the WCI, the lookout position was active with someone to see and coincidentally, Carrot was the most active on the crow's nest which is why we saw the lookout active. Otherwise you don't see this position often with the others at all. Some think that Usopp is the reason, but this point contradicts itself. The last time we saw Usopp in the lookout position was when they still had the Merry. After that he didn't get a single panel where you can see him on the crow's nest (and that must mean something). Oda didn't even show us Usopp on the crow's nest in chapter 978 (if he was on the crow's nest). In chapter 978 Oda had the chance to show Usopp on the crow's nest at the Sunny because it is the only chapter you can assume that Usopp was on the crow's nest but he didn't. Before Carrot was even introduced, Oda had the chance to show Usopp at the crow's nest at the Sunny, but he never did. Oda had had the opportunity to show / draw Usopp at the Sunny on / in the crow's nest but never did it, neither lookout on the Sunny actively shown in an arc. (except in WCI)

-
Oda confirmed in SBS 74 that every crew member takes part in the role of lookout just like it was with the shipwright and the helmsman.

'' And thus, even during instances where they have to navigate through the seas during nighttime, there will always need to be at least two people awake at all times in order to keep an eye out in both the front and back directions of the ship , hence every member alternates every 2 hours to stay on the lookout. It isn't too uncommon that these people don't get sufficient sleep. ''

https://onepiece.fandom.com/wiki/SBS_Volume_74
So Oda made it clear that they didn't have a dedicated lookout and gave the reason. Neither of them can handle an irregular sleep schedule. Carrot can solve this problem. As an assistant to the Dukes on Zou, she also has a highly irregular sleep pattern meaning she can stay awake almost all day and night and is highly adaptive with her sleep schedule. I think that's what makes Carrot the official lookout since Oda explained to us why they always need 2 members as guards during sleep time.
Yeah but problem carrot doesn’t have this
1. carrot doesn’t really have much sad backstory,
2. nor does she have arc that really certain around her as character.
3. I don’t really think she has motivation or desire join luffy. She comes as support going alongside for ride with all other characters. Not really give good at idea or suggestion on how to help luffy in someway shape or form. Yeah just pitch in for suslong transformation but after post whole cake island. She basically reduce background and support character alongside with minks.
Ussop was being look out ongashima he saw the guards being drunk at the time. Knowing van augar who will be ussop biggest challenge that he shot birds miles away from island and well seeing akainu. That would be more of ussop secondary role crew. Chapter 978 same chapter you mention. Carrot didn’t do anything.

Last edited:
So yeah I'm still in CARROT4NAKAMA ship until it sail or sink. I'm proud of @dizzy2341 for still being mature and comprehensive facing all of these haters.
Ah, well thank you. Bit doubtful on the "mature" bit though, but it's appreciated regardless xD.

And not everyone that thinks differently is a hater. But mind you, there are certainly some people out there with a vengeance lmao. It should be obvious considering the amount of bot accounts that have appeared just to like all pro Yamao and anti Carrot posts. People with zero messages and some with locked profiles. I guess whichever post has the most likes means a lot to them, so instead of debating and sharing their views they just try to "win" the argument by botting likes on Yamao stuff from other accounts lmao. They know who they are. :wellwell:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding roles in the crew, Carrot's situation is absolutely no different than Jinbe.

People bringing up Usopp being the ship's sniper as a reason why Carrot can't be the lookout seem to have forgotten how Oda has handled the straw hats in the past.
Here's Nami accepting the challenge of controlling and bringing out the incredible manoeuvrability of the Thousand Sunny.
Here's Nami reading currents with impeccable accuracy to make it through a maze without even needing to steer at all.
Here's Nami INSTANTLY being able to steer and control a waver on a foreign sea that is said to take 10 years of practice in order to be able to ride.

As is very obvious:
1. Manoeuvring the sunny
2. Reading currents
3. Amazing steering and control

...are all skills that 100% apply to the helmsman of the ship. In fact, it's their entire role. But Oda already made Nami absolutely incredible at all of those skills, but in addition he gave her knowledge on navigation and an unprecedented skill in predicting the weather.

But when Oda remembered he wanted a helmsman in the crew that does those exact roles, he needed to dumb down Nami's established skills in order to make room for Jinbe to be useful.

My point is that Oda can do the exact same for Carrot. Jinbe's a fishman so it makes sense that he's good at sea and at helming and all that jazz. Likewise, Carrot is a mink and a bunny one at that. It also makes sense for her to have increased awareness, surveillance skills and scouting potential. If we were just making this up out of nowhere then sure, dismiss it, but Oda has consistently shown Carrot in the lookout position on the crew. He has never shown any travel companion taking up an actual position on the ship, yet not only did he have Carrot do it, but she did so consistently. Her introduction is literally her holding binoculars and scouting which is followed by her looking out across the whole island to spot Luffy. All the set up is there for Oda to develop it at any time.

Ah, well thank you. Bit doubtful on the "mature" bit though, but it's appreciated regardless xD.

And not everyone that thinks differently is a hater. But mind you, there are certainly some people out there with a vengeance lmao. It should be obvious considering the amount of bot accounts that have appeared just to like all pro Yamao and anti Carrot posts. People with zero messages and some with locked profiles. I guess whichever post has the most likes means a lot to them, so instead of debating and sharing their views they just try to "win" the argument by botting likes on Yamao stuff from other accounts lmao. They know who they are. :wellwell:
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Regarding roles in the crew, Carrot's situation is absolutely no different than Jinbe.

People bringing up Usopp being the ship's sniper as a reason why Carrot can't be the lookout seem to have forgotten how Oda has handled the straw hats in the past.
Here's Nami accepting the challenge of controlling and bringing out the incredible manoeuvrability of the Thousand Sunny.
Here's Nami reading currents with impeccable accuracy to make it through a maze without even needing to steer at all.
Here's Nami INSTANTLY being able to steer and control a waver on a foreign sea that is said to take 10 years of practice in order to be able to ride.

As is very obvious:
1. Manoeuvring the sunny
2. Reading currents
3. Amazing steering and control

...are all skills that 100% apply to the helmsman of the ship. In fact, it's their entire role. But Oda already made Nami absolutely incredible at all of those skills, but in addition he gave her knowledge on navigation and an unprecedented skill in predicting the weather.

But when Oda remembered he wanted a helmsman in the crew that does those exact roles, he needed to dumb down Nami's established skills in order to make room for Jinbe to be useful.

My point is that Oda can do the exact same for Carrot. Jinbe's a fishman so it makes sense that he's good at sea and at helming and all that jazz. Likewise, Carrot is a mink and a bunny one at that. It also makes sense for her to have increased awareness, surveillance skills and scouting potential. If we were just making this up out of nowhere then sure, dismiss it, but Oda has consistently shown Carrot in the lookout position on the crew. He has never shown any travel companion taking up an actual position on the ship, yet not only did he have Carrot do it, but she did so consistently. Her introduction is literally her holding binoculars and scouting which is followed by her looking out across the whole island to spot Luffy. All the set up is there for Oda to develop it at any time.
You could also say that Robin sprouts various different body parts though. It does help her see things from distance. During skypia I do remember luffy was stretching his arms to through sky to reach ussop. Robin had use her devil fruit to locate ussop underneath sky. Even in bathhouse cover in mist robin still use her devil fruit see things from a far to see what was going while they were hiding.

Last edited:
Honestly, I think there's good reason for both Carrot and Yamato to join. For Carrot, it's because there has to be some reason she's there. She has no importance within the Mink tribe, and was barely even in the Zou arc, yet all of a sudden she ended up with more panel time than even the dukes. If they just wanted someone with a connection to Pedro, Wanda would have made much more sense. Carrot was also separated from the Minks in the raid and went with the Strawhats instead, and now has a fight starting with an important enemy. There has to be some reason why she is here. If she just heads back to Zou after this then what was the point of all this?

As far as Yamato, it's obvious she's going out to sea after this. Multiple declarations even as recently as last chapter. She already declared her intention to become a strawhat and Luffy didn't shut her down. Ace kept telling her about Luffy and wanted to take her with him. Yamato has been waiting years for Luffy to come and take her with him. Plus each character has joined after Luffy defeating a villain who is directly hurting them or their dream, and Kaido fits that bill for Yamato.

As far as roles, Carrot could easily be the lookout, and Yamato could be the scribe just like Oden.

I think there is room for both, but if it's one or the other then I don't think we can really discount either of them.

The first Think that was commented in in Her introduction was her junping which she used to scout Zou

Also should Luffy be the shipwright now because Kidd is the shipwright for his crew

Yamato has no role not dream. Now to address your point

Anyone who knows how to cook can be chef after all we saw that Nami could yet we still got Sanji
Denying her clear role is pointless say she doesnt have a strong relationship with luffy or her lack of panel time but the role thing, are you on crack?
Cooking is a profession. Lookout is not. You're comparing apples to oranges. Your being intellectually dishonest.

Status
Not open for further replies.