Who will be the next Strawhat

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
In my opinion we can have 2 people joining SH at the same time, the big fights that get us to Laught Tale are getting closer and I don't think he will have time to recruit more members. And I have 3 pretenders for those 2 positions: Yamato, Carrot and Tama any of this having pro and con arguments for them joining.
Also I think Kuja pirates will join SH grand fleet.

Honest question: how will Tama fight after Wano? She would be in a new tier of weak in the strawhat crew. Do we really need weak kids in the crew like Tama or Momo? One piece is almost finished, we need strong as fuck characters like Jinbe now. And for now I can only see Yamato somewhat likely. Maybe Carrot but lets see how the fight with Pero ends. I must say I dont like sulong only being useable at full moon gimmick though...

Honest question: how will Tama fight after Wano? She would be in a new tier of weak in the strawhat crew. Do we really need weak kids in the crew like Tama or Momo? One piece is almost finished, we need strong as fuck characters like Jinbe now. And for now I can only see Yamato somewhat likely. Maybe Carrot but lets see how the fight with Pero ends. I must say I dont like sulong only being useable at full moon gimmick though...
Yeah, non combatants like Momo and Tama have no place on the Thousand Sunny. They're going up against Yonko and Admirals, they don't need children to protect while they're doing that.

Personally, I feel like we have enough Straw Hats as is...

But here's my theory on where Oda's taking the crew:

Firstly, there are general commonalities that all the Straw Hats share:
-They have a dream that (for them) requires their presence on the Pirate King's crew
-They exceed in some profession
-They have been orphaned or have lost their family (figuratively or literally)
-They have complete faith in Luffy

It's important to note that the characters that join the crew do not have to start with all these traits. For example, Nami did not initially have faith in Luffy and the crew, so she only pretended to be a member. When she truly believed that Luffy could save her, she officially became a Straw Hat.

Yamato
Very likely to join imo.
After Kaido and the Beast Pirates are wrecked, Yamato will functionally have no home. There is a 0% chance that he will take over the Beast Pirates or become the Shogun of Wano.
The people of Wano would never accept the son of Kaido as their new ruler when Momonosuke is still alive and Hiyori is of age to rule... and with the way Oda has been writing the subplot of gender equality in Wano, I think he's setting up Hiyori to take power.
Yamato also wants to be free from the literal AND metaphorical shackles (remember this is Oda there's always subtext) that he was subjected to for the past 20 years... and remaining with the crew to uphold the lineage of his imprisoner doesn't seem to be what this character would do based on how they were introduced and have been written until now.
Since his introduction, Yamato has been giving an unwarranted amount of significance considering his late introduction in the arc, and he's been written with a purpose that goes beyond Wano. His final "chains" to Wano are with Momo now in the form of Oden's journal, and he's tied to Luffy through Ace.

Law
Almost certain to join.
Until recently I thought everyone that thought Law was gonna join was smoothbrained... but after the 2 most recent chapters I've done a 180 on that opinion. He meets all the basic conditions.
He's an orphan, easy check. He even lost Rosinante and he was an enemy of the Doflamingo Family.
People argue that he'd have no role on the crew because Chopper's already a doctor... but Law wouldn't be the doctor of the crew. People trip up too much about his epithet "Surgeon of Death" as having to do with something about doctoring, but Law's character and motivations have nothing to do with the medical field, apart from stabbing Mingo straight in the heart. His role on the crew when he joins will be the same as the role he's had since he's allied himself with the crew - he's the Tactician. I buy into the theory that Law is somewhat based on Napoleon due to the name (Water Law - Waterloo... like Oda has admitted to doing with Roronoa and l'Olonnais) and he was also known to be a great strategist. His devil fruit is literally perfect for this, he can reposition people in a flash.
We recently found out his dream in chapter 999, he wants to discover the meaning of the Will of D. I believe that this secret is tired to the One Piece, and that the only way for him to discover this secret is to be on the Pirate King's crew.
Some people will say that this is disrespecting Law's character and status as a rival to Luffy, but consider how Jinbe's dialogue has been carried out in recent chapters. There is no shame in being a member of the Pirate King's crew... in fact there should be no higher honor. We've been told that Luffy's true power is to rally people to his side. The true Pirate King will have no rivals - he would be singularly the strongest and be able to conquer any foe. But Luffy is a king that mainly conquers with friendship. It should come as no surprise that the man with the future WSS on his crew (who many have also argued is a rival to Luffy <.<) and a former Warlord, would be able to recruit another former warlord and rival. I know a lot of us may not want this outcome for Law because we might think it demeans his status... but it's clear that to Oda, making someone a crewmate is a promotion.
And after chapter 1K, where Law wordlessly followed Luffy's orders, I'm pretty convinced. After this ark, the whole world will recognize that Luffy is on track to being the future PK, including Law.

Smoker
I don't think he meets any of the criteria. I don't see how his character motivation his uniquely tied to being on the PK's crew. If anything I think he'd join SWORD.

Carrot
I'm not so sure about her joining.
I don't have much to say about Carrot that hasn't already been said... a lot.. but Oda is without a doubt setting this character up for.. something? If I interpret her dream/ambition in relation to how she would fit on the crew in the most generous manner, it would be like this: She wants to see the "Dawn" of the world that the minks have been waiting on for generations, and that her mentor lost his life to secure, and she believes that the PK will bring this Dawn. It's possible that Carrot, who was written to be unique amongst the non-scabbard minks in that she served both dukes, will represent the mink tribe as their witness to this event. Her role on the crew would be scout (not lookout). Upon their introduction the minks are shown to excel at stealth - to the point where Luffy could not sense them with his guard down even though he had passive CoO at this point - and carrot was in particular highlighted to excel at speed.
But honestly it could go either way for me... she could be a red herring. It really depends on where Oda takes the story with the minks as a whole from this point, and how the fight with Perospero ends.

Momo & Tama
These two are a package deal - either both join or neither do.
Oda has consistently written these two as a duo since they met - in chapter 999 their reactions were literally synced.
I'm not sure how Oda would work these 2 into the endgame of the series considering how we're gonna be having bigger fights from here on out... but Roger had kids on his crew ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. If either of them join, then there's no reason why the other wouldn't. If Momo joins because of some desire to see what his father saw or whatever, then they have a kid on the crew and there's no good reason for Tama not to come along. If Tama joins because Luffy wants to fulfill Ace's promise, then there's no reason Momo wouldn't tag along if he wanted to. He was born on a pirate ship lol. At this point it seems Kine'mon has complete faith in Luffy's competence so I doubt he'd be the one to stop Momo, and he's too young to be Shogun right now anyway.
But Oda could always just stick with the "no kids allowed" thing, its really a toss up at this point imo.

Thanks for reading lmk if you think I'm full of it

-They have a dream that (for them) requires their presence on the Pirate King's crew

It's important to note that the characters that join the crew do not have to start with all these traits. For example, Nami did not initially have faith in Luffy and the crew, so she only pretended to be a member. When she truly believed that Luffy could save her, she officially became a Straw Hat.

Yamato
Very likely to join imo.
After Kaido and the Beast Pirates are wrecked, Yamato will functionally have no home. There is a 0% chance that he will take over the Beast Pirates or become the Shogun of Wano.
The people of Wano would never accept the son of Kaido as their new ruler when Momonosuke is still alive and Hiyori is of age to rule... and with the way Oda has been writing the subplot of gender equality in Wano, I think he's setting up Hiyori to take power.
Yamato also wants to be free from the literal AND metaphorical shackles (remember this is Oda there's always subtext) that he was subjected to for the past 20 years... and remaining with the crew to uphold the lineage of his imprisoner doesn't seem to be what this character would do based on how they were introduced and have been written until now.
Since his introduction, Yamato has been giving an unwarranted amount of significance considering his late introduction in the arc, and he's been written with a purpose that goes beyond Wano. His final "chains" to Wano are with Momo now in the form of Oden's journal, and he's tied to Luffy through Ace.

Law
Almost certain to join.
Until recently I thought everyone that thought Law was gonna join was smoothbrained... but after the 2 most recent chapters I've done a 180 on that opinion. He meets all the basic conditions.
He's an orphan, easy check. He even lost Rosinante and he was an enemy of the Doflamingo Family.
People argue that he'd have no role on the crew because Chopper's already a doctor... but Law wouldn't be the doctor of the crew. People trip up too much about his epithet "Surgeon of Death" as having to do with something about doctoring, but Law's character and motivations have nothing to do with the medical field, apart from stabbing Mingo straight in the heart. His role on the crew when he joins will be the same as the role he's had since he's allied himself with the crew - he's the Tactician. I buy into the theory that Law is somewhat based on Napoleon due to the name (Water Law - Waterloo... like Oda has admitted to doing with Roronoa and l'Olonnais) and he was also known to be a great strategist. His devil fruit is literally perfect for this, he can reposition people in a flash.
We recently found out his dream in chapter 999, he wants to discover the meaning of the Will of D. I believe that this secret is tired to the One Piece, and that the only way for him to discover this secret is to be on the Pirate King's crew.
Some people will say that this is disrespecting Law's character and status as a rival to Luffy, but consider how Jinbe's dialogue has been carried out in recent chapters. There is no shame in being a member of the Pirate King's crew... in fact there should be no higher honor. We've been told that Luffy's true power is to rally people to his side. The true Pirate King will have no rivals - he would be singularly the strongest and be able to conquer any foe. But Luffy is a king that mainly conquers with friendship. It should come as no surprise that the man with the future WSS on his crew (who many have also argued is a rival to Luffy <.<) and a former Warlord, would be able to recruit another former warlord and rival. I know a lot of us may not want this outcome for Law because we might think it demeans his status... but it's clear that to Oda, making someone a crewmate is a promotion.
And after chapter 1K, where Law wordlessly followed Luffy's orders, I'm pretty convinced. After this ark, the whole world will recognize that Luffy is on track to being the future PK, including Law.

Smoker
I don't think he meets any of the criteria. I don't see how his character motivation his uniquely tied to being on the PK's crew. If anything I think he'd join SWORD.

Carrot
I don't have much to say about Carrot that hasn't already been said... a lot.. but Oda is without a doubt setting this character up for.. something? If I interpret her dream/ambition in relation to how she would fit on the crew in the most generous manner, it would be like this: She wants to see the "Dawn" of the world that the minks have been waiting on for generations, and that her mentor lost his life to secure, and she believes that the PK will bring this Dawn. It's possible that Carrot, who was written to be unique amongst the non-scabbard minks in that she served both dukes, will represent the mink tribe as their witness to this event. Her role on the crew would be scout (not lookout). Upon their introduction the minks are shown to excel at stealth - to the point where Luffy could not sense them with his guard down even though he had passive CoO at this point - and carrot was in particular highlighted to excel at speed.
But honestly it could go either way for me... she could be a red herring. It really depends on where Oda takes the story with the minks as a whole from this point, and how the fight with Perospero ends.

Momo & Tama
Oda has consistently written these two as a duo since they met - in chapter 999 their reactions were literally synced.
I'm not sure how Oda would work these 2 into the endgame of the series considering how we're gonna be having bigger fights from here on out... but Roger had kids on his crew ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. If either of them join, then there's no reason why the other wouldn't. If Momo joins because of some desire to see what his father saw or whatever, then they have a kid on the crew and there's no good reason for Tama not to come along. If Tama joins because Luffy wants to fulfill Ace's promise, then there's no reason Momo wouldn't tag along if he wanted to. He was born on a pirate ship lol. At this point it seems Kine'mon has complete faith in Luffy's competence so I doubt he'd be the one to stop Momo, and he's too young to be Shogun right now anyway.
But Oda could always just stick with the "no kids allowed" thing, its really a toss up at this point imo.

I kind of subscribe to the 4 per sea thing at this point. I fully expect Yamato and Carrot to join, so it would make sense to just have one more. I didn't really consider Law, but now that you mention it he makes sense. He's been an ally for so long now, and his crew has been mostly absent. If Franky can leave the Franky Family and Jinbei can leave the Sun Pirates, then Law can leave the Heart Pirates. His tragic back story just screams Strawhat, and I could easily see him deciding that Luffy is going to be the Pirate King after he defeats Kaido. Strategist makes sense, and it works with his fighting style like most strawhats, and finding the meaning of the will of D is a perfectly good Strawhat dream. Additionally, he can't find that without being on the Pirate King's crew because the answer is almost certainly on Laugh Tale. If he doesn't join, then he will probably never achieve that goal himself. He would just need someone to tell him. Too may be on to something.

Yamato
Very likely to join imo.

Law
Almost certain to join.

Smoker

Carrot

Momo & Tama

Thanks for the Law paragraph. Since Dressrosa ive been liking the idea of him joining. Its tough to imagine a rival SN on the SHs but Law is kinda different. With his backstory and role he stands out, hes been an ally for all of the NW saga. I dont think there is a lot of chances for him but it does make sense when put into context.

Yamato
Very likely to join imo.

Law
Almost certain to join.

Smoker

Carrot

Momo & Tama

Here's what people usually say about them (primary cons) :

- Yamato : late intro / not foreshadowed
- Law : rival in pirate king goal, can't have the same member with that
- Carrot : no above average / excellent skill
- Smoker : not a "free spirit" (has other loyal affiliation)
- Momo & Tama : too weak & too young, all SH can handle themselves

Here's what people usually say about them (primary cons) :

- Yamato : late intro / not foreshadowed
- Law : rival in pirate king goal, can't have the same member with that
- Carrot : no above average / excellent skill
- Smoker : not a "free spirit" (has other loyal affiliation)
- Momo & Tama : too weak & too young, all SH can handle themselves
Don’t forget that we already have a doctor (Chopper) in the SHs. Adding another doctor (Law) would be repetitive, unless they are suggesting that Chopper will be replaced by Law which I also highly doubt.

I can see Law continue to be a companion with the SHs all the way to Raftel. But I can’t see him actually joining.

I kind of subscribe to the 4 per sea thing at this point. I fully expect Yamato and Carrot to join, so it would make sense to just have one more. I didn't really consider Law, but now that you mention it he makes sense. He's been an ally for so long now, and his crew has been mostly absent. If Franky can leave the Franky Family and Jinbei can leave the Sun Pirates, then Law can leave the Heart Pirates. His tragic back story just screams Strawhat, and I could easily see him deciding that Luffy is going to be the Pirate King after he defeats Kaido. Strategist makes sense, and it works with his fighting style like most strawhats, and finding the meaning of the will of D is a perfectly good Strawhat dream. Additionally, he can't find that without being on the Pirate King's crew because the answer is almost certainly on Laugh Tale. If he doesn't join, then he will probably never achieve that goal himself. He would just need someone to tell him. Too may be on to something.
I don't think Law's case is the same as Franky and Jinbe's, honestly. Jinbe was the captain of the Sun Pirates to protect them and Fishman Island, but he was not entirely happy because it was only his obligation. Franky was given a bounty and his family convinced him to leave with Luffy. In addition, the Sun Pirates can defend themselves and the Franky Family is not wanted by the Marines.

Law, on the other hand, could not abandon his crew, since most of them would not last two days in the NW.

I also see the theory of the four nakamas for each sea as possible. Yamato is obviously one of them. Carrot maybe, although I'm still not convinced. And I think Marco is a good candidate. He is free and has no obligations. We've known him for a long time. When Luffy confronts BB, he may want to help him avenge his former crew. The only problem is that he is very strong. But if Zoro and Sanji prove that they are above Marco, I wouldn't see any problem.

And I think Marco is a good candidate. He is free and has no obligations. We've known him for a long time. When Luffy confronts BB, he may want to help him avenge his former crew. The only problem is that he is very strong. But if Zoro and Sanji prove that they are above Marco, I wouldn't see any problem.
When was being "very strong" became a problem? Being high powered right now doesn't matter since their opponents' vets and above are "normally" high powered... Or some people just don't want Zoro and Sanji to be over powered by someone else? Whoever powerful guy joins the crew, it is given that Zoro and Sanji (maybe Jinbe as well now due to the "Sanji level" treatment he's receiving) will always surpass them and that's a lock...

Status
Not open for further replies.